Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This show is goddamn excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Walrus posted:

Jennifer Connelly is so drat attractive it hurts to look at her

She' aged like they've kept her in the Drawers the past two decades for sure...if they were working properly.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Goddamn.

Ms. Wilford is definitely the most effective "the ends justify the means" villain since Liber8. What a terrible dictator, and what a huge responsibility.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hakkesshu posted:

The entire motivation for keeping the first class around makes no sense in the first place. What do they offer? They don't seem to actually do anything useful or critical to the operation of the train. The show has given us no good reason for why Melanie hasn't just iced the loving Folgers, like if you want to keep peace and order that's where you start.

I stíll think it's a pretty good show, but Melanie's absolutely stone cold evil and a terrible leader and they keep trying to portray her as having this incredible responsibility on her shoulders when actually making the train run peacefully seems like it would be pretty easy so long as you aren't incredibly fascist and try to be inclusive and humane to everyone.

Unless there's some other twist like there was in the movie, but we will see.

Melanie has hinted that the Train was designed in a certain way by Wilford. Considering the whole show is about Class, I would imagine Wilford designed it to be some sort of an integral part of the Train's operations to have the separation between the classes? Second seems to be more tied to First in their privileges and attitudes and it seems to be they are the most important people in regards to science and the Drawers so maybe it is about them mostly too. Maybe the top Jackboot brass is part of the first, or like Grey ideologically committed into the class structure. They could definitely cast more light to it, though.

The cast is so good that it doesn't really take away from my entertainment though.

EDIT: I'm 90% sure Pike is just bullshitting, no way after 7 years on the Tail he would turn that quickly, right? Maybe he is just a sociopath though and Ogg was probably cursed by some Slavic witch to play bad guys his whole career so...

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jul 7, 2020

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Superb show, superb finale. Can't wait to see how crazy the OTHER train is.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I bet after 7 years with nothing but employees, Wilford believes in two classes, WILFORD and everyone else, bitch. I don't think he's going to have much time for First's bullshit. Urgh I can't believe I have to wait for like a year for the next season.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ilmucche posted:

This is back tomorrow isn't it? I'm pretty excited

Definitely along for the hype train

or trains, now

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, good first season episode, although I'm not sure if they should have had Wilford getting punked so easily right off the bat.While I like the idea of an engineer owning the rich guy whey built the train for, I feel like it makes him less believable as a threat. Still though, Big Alice seems interesting what with all the apparent mad science and everyone being crazier then even Snowpiercers apparently. Also, drat Layton does not gently caress around, invasion attempt right off the bat murdering like a dozen people. Would have been a good strategy if they did not have Strong Boy on Steroids.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 26, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Open Source Idiom posted:

They dropped Susan Park's character from the credits, and added Steven Ogg

Sweet, dropping my least favorite character for my most favorite actor.

Wheeee posted:

he's 63 years old with no wrinkles

I get why she's around for dramatic purposes and enjoy her actor but can't recall, did the show actually give a good reason for them having not immediately killed the hateful fascist with an IQ of like 75

Ruth should be feeding the mushroom farm, not holding a position of authority

On the other hand, she actually has a position of authority, at least for the First Class. I mean you'll probably don't want to execute the person who's literal job is "Let's calm the gently caress down" in the aftermath of a revolution unless you really have to. On the other hand I mean she will obviously betray them at one point anyway so :shrug:

Definitely should have taken an arm though.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 27, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If I had been Melanie I would have done the Season 1-end train-separating trick with Javi and Bennett the first time there was a separate track coming, only with all first class cars, but I guess she probably wasn't that cold (pun intended). I don't think there was much in the way of crucial resources there besides space in general but I figure the Tail would have been fine with bunking where they are as long as there is more food and poo poo. Plus maybe it would have been possible to re-join and clear all the frozen corpses somehow.

Then tell everyone the truth, become their Communist Liberator Wilford and turn all the W's upside down :v:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 5, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OldMemes posted:

There were some alright people in first class, but it was unsustainable with the amount of resources and space. Melanie could have avoided a lot of the issues if she'd integrated the tail into 3rd class some more. Give them a fixed role, or apprentice them into needed roles, increase the food quality a bit and have staff be more polite, and that's a big way to increasing resource production and stopping social unrest. They'd probably have to stay in the tail for living, but letting them go into 3rd and 2nd class during the day to work and socialize seems like a quick fix. But she's too focused on the big picture, not individuals.

I feel like the whole "they don't have tickets!" issue was even a bigger class divide at the start, without the Third Class being treated like crap for seven years and high on being the ones to survive the apocalypse and having that threatened by the stowaways. Less so if everyone is eating way better thanks to no more useless First mouths getting the lion's share and having the capacity to have more kids thanks to more food/space.

I mean they seem to have treated the Tail even worse in the beginning - dozens of people dying in the revolutions, way more arms taken off, cannibal kill cults due to lack of food...

Plus the Jackboots would have been conditioned to not allow any changes to the social structure. But they can be taken off the board with "Uhh could Colonel Evil and his officers gather to the First Class, big party coming up" SEVER I think the rank and file would be mostly ok with better rations and more room.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 5, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GABA ghoul posted:

If she was doing a long con she wouldn't have had to pretend when she was alone with Willford though.

Also, Willford seem like a total moron. None of his plans have worked out so far and he is constantly outplayed by Layton. And now Alex is almost ready to abandon him. I really like that he isn't some hyper competent villain, it's a fresh take.

He's not a leader, he's a god.

The Greek kind, specifically.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm not much of a fan of Layton in this season besides him trying to invade Big Alice in ep 1. All he does is react to things, wallow in his depression or order someone to do something lovely while treating them like poo poo.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The idea that somebody or multiple somebodies haven't shanked her is just bafflingly stupid. I mean, really? The last guy she murdered and mutilated even had a whole polygamy thing going on, they don't want revenge?

Likewise, I don't like the idiot ball given to Layton this season. It was bad before in my opinion but after this last episode...you have TWO murderers who have eagerly confessed in custody AND the last remaining breachman (who also is like everyone's favorite person on the train) on your side and you're not even making the case to the people that Wilford is a monster? Come on.

I get that the people in the train are brainwashed super-trauma victims looking for their Train God to save them but you could at the very least try to get a majority on your side.

Also if Icy Bob is dead for good... :(

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 24, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OldMemes posted:

Wild speculation time!

Maybe this series will end with Snowpiercer too badly damaged, and they have to merge with another train, or an outpost, and the conflict next season comes from the characters trying to adapt to a new environment (like in the comic), and having to live under a new regime, where even the previous top brass of the train don't have much say - basically everyone from Snowpiercer is lumped together and becomes the equivalent of third class/the tail in this new setting.

It'd be interesting to see Wilford reduced to "just another guy in the crowd", who has to climb the ladder, after all his effort to take the train.

Just wild guessing on my half. If not, there's 2000 people on the train, plenty of excuses to introduce new characters that way still.

That sounds frighteningly like The Walking Dead so no offense but I hope not.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It was an unplanned disembarking. Wilford wasn't in either. I guess the guys with guns probably made it to Alice?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Ehh, it is still ok tv but in all honesty I thought the season was way, way weaker then the first (rant incoming).

Really, the big plan was splitting the train again? Kinda repeating ourselves here.

Speaking of the big plan, it was like 60% dumb comedy, 10% just people needing to be dumb as poo poo for it to work, and 30% actual drama, while the conclusion to Season 1 was one of the hardest hitting I have ever seen. Viva la revoluc- wait nope Layton just squandered it by being a dick/dumbass for the whole season except the last two episodes.

Wilford was just...a big giant sociopath baby. Who somehow has this amazing magnetic personality too when he seems like someone who couldn't spend five minutes with anyone without them wanting to murder him.

gently caress Audrey. I thought she was faking it but I guess she just was magic-Wilforded into a complete piece of poo poo despite being more aware of him then anybody. I hope she at the least gets merked by someone so we don't have to hear her sing anymore, ugh.

Didn't give a poo poo about the Zarah/Layton subplot. Why is her pregnancy so important? They need to allot baby-permits to people, toss her the gently caress out and just give it to someone else. Does Wilford have a pregnancy fetish or something?

Way to not explore Big Alice and any of its people and what the gently caress they've been doing these past 7 years. Also kill off the most interesting one of them off-screen. Also Wilford killed half of them and all we get out of that is one mention by Alex? What?

As far as I can understand, the whole Detective Till subplot had no other end besides killing the Breachmen which...uh, holy poo poo, way to waste screentime. Really needed those fifteen different scenes of her and the priest drinking tea, huh?

Was there some sort of commitment issues with Connelly? I didn't give a good goddamn about Layton/Wilford while the interplay between Melanie/Wilford at least seemed to have potential (90% because of the actors, but still).

Alex choosing her mother over Wilford in a split goddamn second. Which - fine, I can understand that because Wilford is a monstrous rear end in a top hat, but why is anyone else giving him the time of the day if the person who he literally raised during her most formative and dramatic years drops him in a split second?

The Tail might as well not have existed for the past few episodes.

The Third revolts (entirely avoidable by Layton) and then might as well not have existed the past two episodes.

We HAvE tO ReAcH MeLaNiE ok yeah I understand the hope given by her data but for gently caress sake, the Tail just forgets her autocratic dictatorship and the rest just forget her lying to them for the past 7 years and she is some messianic figure to everyone now whose sheer voice is enough to bring the whole train to their side? What?

Ruth's redemption arc. gently caress her and gently caress it, she was a complete monster and now she is having hilarious hijinks with the rest of the crew and being trusted by the child whose mother she killed? No.

Was the Osweiler musical scene supposed to get emotions out of me? He's a dickhead violent sexual abuser in love with a serial killer, no!

And enough has been said about her but if Little Miss Penis-Chop survives past episode 1 of Season 3 I can't even...they didn't even redeem her, she was just as awful in the last ep of S2 as she was in S1, just gleefully in the First Class again despite being in the poo poo with the hoi polloi. Why did we waste a single minute on her? NO

Could we really explore the train and it's society bit beyond the five same sets and agency-less mobs who switch alliances in a drop of a hat? Like it can't be that crazy expensive.

I don't want to watch Snowpiercer trying to build a colony on land, I have like five other dystopia-shows I could watch for that poo poo. The train aspect, lack of space and resources and enclosed spaces is kinda the point.

I dunno, it seems like they switched the writing team between the seasons, because I loved Season 1 and Season 2 was severely underwhelming.

Wilford is channelling mad evil Willy Wonka energy.

He should, that's where he learned it.
https://youtu.be/jEX52h1TvuA

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 30, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hakkesshu posted:

Well if the movie is any indication, there's a certain reason why they need more children on the train.

I don't think they're going there, tbh.

Also, how badass was Sykes? I was wondering why she was Wilford's shadow, her absolutely destroying Ben was a great scene. Hope they don't kill her off too *sigh*

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Good news, they just upped her to series regular.

Nice! She seems like she was about Alex's age, basically a child soldier, should make for a good character.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
He's definitely great, I just wish they had at least some scenes of him being pleasant or charming or magnetic to explain his hold over people. He's a dick to his servants, a dick to his lovers, a dick to his pseudo-daughter, dick to anyone who seems to be predisposed to follow him...most people don't meet him for longer then a second, sure but the slightest problem seems to set him off.

As far as I gathered he built his empire and rose from regular origins (old Russian neighbor taking him to church), I'd have liked to see actual deep planning or strength of will that took him there, instead he falls apart literally the first episode he is in, and his plans require some serious idiocy from his opponents in order to succeed.

I find him a villain to hate which is always good, and Bean kills it no matter who or what he plays, but considering he is the Big Bad, I'd have liked there to be more then just hating him because he is a petty, childish rear end in a top hat. How did this man hold a poor man's Snowpiercer together for seven years and convinced half the population to kill themselves? I just don't see it, he seems entirely consumed by his own desires to the point of him lasting on top of actual Snowpiercer for a weekend before everything goes to poo poo. And he thinks he can trust Josie, Alex or Javi? What?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 1, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

OldMemes posted:

IIRC, in the film, they implied that the people in the lowest class had been placed there deliberately - it seemed that they'd been invited onboard as a preserve a cross section of humanity refugee thing. In the TV show, it was just the people who just so happened to be at the station and just so happened to force their way through the blast doors before they sealed shut. It doesn't make masses of sense of some of the tail got there, but it has given us some great characters, and like I said earlier, its an interesting inversion of the post-apocalyptic trope you see a lot in, where the main characters have a path to safety, but the faceless crowds trying to force their way into safety are shown as misguided at best, selfish at worse. Then again, Bess implied that governments collapsed a while before the Freeze, so there's no-one to create alternative civilian safe zones outside of the train.

Chicago is a pretty international and populated city, I don't see any Tailie who doesn't have a reason to be there.

GABA ghoul posted:

I think Wilford's hold over people is that he and the engineers are the only ones who can run the train and keep everyone alive. They are indisposable and their cooperation essential. That's how he managed to stay in power on Big Alice. Any kind of upheaval against him and Alex would have been suicide.

I mean yeah but there's a long way to go from "don't kill Wilford" to "half of us must die", especially when the people on secondary train were not the ones who knew Wilford (etc. first class did, engineers and others on the train) as closely.

quote:

His return to power on Snowpiercer looked more like a political decision. He represented the reactionary interests, a return to the pre-revolution status quo and an end to the chaos of the provisional government. It was more a choice about policy than personality.

He squandered the policy with his personality though. The train was all on his side, yet outright idiot ball decisions led him to trust people who had no motivation to trust him, from Josie to Alex.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 2, 2021

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Owling Howl posted:

There's a degree of fetischism with tech and billionaires in certain circles. If Elon Musk selected his 2000 most ardent supporters and put them on a magic train of his making i doubt he'd have to work very hard to be declared Lord Emperor.

I mean sure but the people in Big Alice were half randoms from the train yard (I assume since it wasn't designed to sustain 200 people) and besides the doctors not exactly those closest to Wilford (Melanie knew only Kevin) including children and teenagers. Also I think even Elon's followers would probably think a bit about killing themselves/their families for him.

Oasx posted:

I think Alex switched sides a little too easily. Sure Wilford is a psycho but that can't possible be a surprise to her at this point.
I just dislike the whole trope of biology being some magic force that is impossible to resist.

And you know...she was raised by him. Under conditions that were at best traumatic as gently caress with him whispering in his ear. Why isn't she a total psycho too? THAT would have made a much more compelling story in my opinion, Melanie struggling to try and save/love a monster created by her nemesis who is her daughter. She was ten! Seven years should have left a huge mark on her morality, bigger then the love of an (absent even before) mother to turn in literally couple of meetings.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Wafflecop posted:

I watched the first episode of this when it first came to Netflix and didn't think much (but love the film and the one gnovel I've read). Picked it back up again a week or so ago and just finished the latest episode.

Love it, really enjoyed people's posts on it. Great show, so many good things to talk about. Acting, pace, character development and world building are all top notch.

I like the moral maturity/depth of the characters. Ppl complaining about Ruth, Osweiller or LJ's redemption arcs are forgetting what happened with the cannibal cult in the tail. People, even the goodest ones like Layton, are willing to do what they have to for peace. Everyone is guilty of horrors but you've got to keep moving forward, in the frozen cold, on a train 1034 cars long.

Well uh, Ruth, Osweiler and LJ weren't literally starving to death/trying to stop other people starving to death from eating other people. I don't have problem with redemption arcs and Osweiler's is decent but for some reason I can't stand Ruth's and LJ hasn't even redeemed anything, still being a manipulative selfish psycho (former serial killer!).

Honestly, right now this show is focusing on and repeating exactly the same things I did not like about Season 2, and if they BSG-gently caress this up I'm going to be so mad. Sean Bean still kills it but Layton's gone from maybe my favorite character in 1 to a wet noodle. I haven't even finished the latest episodes. While earlier I watched them as soon as possible.

Am I the only one who thought the quality severely dropped after Season 1? Because in my opinion Season 1 was near perfect while the first half of Season 2 was good and then the plotting/characterization started to take massive hits.