Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That fact that her name is Orokin Reactor is just :discourse: levels of double game inside joke power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It always struck me as a shame that TSW was made as an MMO since it probably could've found a wider audience if it were just a regular rpg. That way it wouldn't have had to compete with mists of pandaria, at a bare minimum.

200k subscribers for a subscription rpg on launch was pretty dire.

I think it was one of those mmos pitched and developed during the tail end of the mmo bubble that popped before it was even released. Like watching a pile up on the icy highway ahead of you but the highway wasn't salted and your tires haven't got chains on, so all you can do is watch helplessly as your car slides towards the wreck.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've run into a catdad PLD who looks eerily like him in Crystal DC's CC ranked matches while playing on no less than three of my alts.

Even had an instant portait with The Look

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well I'll be

If you see a rando giving you an Eastern Bow then eating a bunch of eggs, holla

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jokes posted:

I wasn’t aware napoleon had a samurai contingent

Ah, le regiment de sabreurs japonaise

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Exactly, which Anamnesis lets you do. That's the DRG PVP limit break, which there's no way to gpose with outside of the Wolves' Den otherwise.

That's pretty cool honestly

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You know dang well it's not from Eorzea, ain't a spoiler to say it's from Norvrandt.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I've resubbed to FF14 for a time, reassessing with fresh eyes after finding the latest expansion so disappointing, and I've gotten so many comments (all about how unusual she looks) on a viera I made to mess around with the starting zones with a bit that I figured I may as well post her.

Not even glammed, just lowbie leveling gear, but apparently the combination of dark skin and green hair with the black highlights has struck a number of people as noteworthy.

It's a rather forest spirity look.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Exploring an odd, allegedly sulfurous peak.

And yet I felt the need to dress for the cold... this place is odd.

Guy in the loincloth can't even look at you without feeling vicarious heat exhaustion

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Your pic of that helmet just reminded me of this:

lmfao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it doesn't matter where you get the glam piece, it's what you do with it imo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was digging through the thread to check people's past glamshots but this post gave me a laugh because I was curious about some boring-looking bad or vaporware mmos like Ashes of Creation and stumbled onto this guy in that thread

hobocrunch posted:

I absolutely detest every single "costume" on this last page and honestly if the rest of the thread is full of armor like this we have a huge problem in cosmetics in the industry, like what the actual gently caress is any of that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Which explains this post.

Essentially, just salt that a Japanese mmo with a vibrant and frankly unique aesthetic managed to find success when the games whose aesthetics he prefers are all made by grognards who are as out-of-touch as he is. So out of touch that he's unable to recognize that, actually, not only is FFXIV gorgeous but also that it's not at all indicative of the industry as a whole. Because their art direction, while stellar, is deliberately idiosyncratic to Final Fantasy. Most games would rather prefer to aim for something a more generic but widely appealing. Even other mmos from the Asia market, where what's considered "generic fantasy" there is a fair bit different from what the western market would recognize as such.

And this isn't one of those situations where Josh Strife Hayes complains about cash shops clashing with a game's established aesthetic. It's a common refrain in his mmo videos that those are the death knell of a korean mmo that just doesn't care anymore and just wants to wring some blood from the stone. Every single piece of armor or clothing in FFXIV actually fits in context of the established aesthetic.

This is because FFXIV is a big and eclectic world and one that is rapidly undergoing, essentially, industrialization and modernization due to a number of in-setting reasons. Not only does everything posted in the thread fit, it's plausible. As you move through ARR onwards you see the Eorzean Sackcloth (an aesthetic more suitable for the blander side of the industry I've mentioned above) and Novelty Subligar give way to further refinement and experimentation as the Eorzean city-states reinforce their alliance and trade connections, and begin to incorporate far eastern elements brought over by Doman refugees. In Heavensward, Ishgard opening its borders sees more of their Late Medieval/Early Modern national aesthetic bleeding through while making more baroque and ornate European-esque styling more common, and integrating some of their designs into standard sensibilities throughout Eorzea. Which in a broad sense forms the foundation to justify slowly moving towards more Contemporary Modern designs, as happened in real life. Some design throughlines are even more obvious, like the high-tech magic aesthetic developed first by the long-dead Allagan Empire, then integrated for use by Eorzea's adventurers by Garlond Ironworks in their eponymous IW sets, then further refined by Nero tol Scaeva after he gets hired on and was too much of a big drama queen to let the Ironworks' in-house aesthetic just be "functional." Those all form the basis for the stuff that looks weirdly futuristic as the machining and miniaturization processed developed allows Eorzean clothiers to start integrating that technology in fashion. The more places we go to in FFXIV's expansions the wider the reference pool that fashionmakers can draw from, for purposes stylish, silly, and severe. The incredibly cyberpunk-looking recent pvp reward clothes could only plausibly exist after years of both the baseline fashion culture and the military technology developing to the point where they could justify the existence of those clothes. And both do!

It may not look like it makes sense if you're peeking in without any context and your ideas of what a fantasy mmo should look like are, heavens forbid, New World, but when you play the game and actually get stuck in, it does. Aesthetic elements just start to slowly slip into place. Even ARR, when the game was at its most aesthetically bland (due to a lot of asset reuse from FFXIV 1.X, those dark days when the game actually was headed by a director who was as grognardy as the quoted poster and failed miserably as grognard mmos are wont to do), you could still see some sparks of life there.

Like, obviously the Doylist explanation is that the artists at Square Enix like to have fun with it and they're operating under relatively lax restrictions on their creativity. Unlike, say, how anecdotally, artists who worked on Everquest 2 famously described the experience as soul-crushing. But there's a Watsonian explanation too when you look at what the various armor and clothing pieces are actually called and reading between the lines.

Basically, despite not being much a gpose person myself, I mean to say that FFXIV, aesthetically, is a triumph.

Runa fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 20, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao you guys don't have to add a preamble about an effortpost being too long, that's genuinely a lot worse than just not mentioning it and posting normally

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Twibbit posted:

Ah, someone is just here to start fights

(dry chuckle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

randomly stumbled upon a group doing a kamen rider themed thing and had to get in on it