Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Sometimes a restaurant will have a challenge where you have to eat something and you get a tshirt if you can do it. Like eating a large amount of food (think "the ol' 96er" from The Great Outdoors), or really spicy food, or maybe even a combination.

Usually if you defeat the challenge you get a tshirt (as mentioned), but there can be other prizes too. You might get your photo taken and put on the wall next to other victors. Or you might get the meal for free. Or a combination of any of these. Sometimes if you fail the challenge they take your photo and post it on the wall of shame, so everyone knows what a loving loser you are.

Some day, I want to try a challenge. There's a buffalo wild wings near me, and I'm confident I could beat their spicy wing challenge (despite the time limit, begrudgingly...more on that later!). According to the internet, a local mexican restaurant near me has a huge 7lb burrito contest, but I've never heard of it so next time I go there (after all this covid business dies down), I guess I'll ask. Between you and me, I doubt I could actually eat a 7lb burrito without some intense training before. I really want a tshirt though

Challenges are generally only good and worth doing if they give you a nice leisurely time to finish, like say an hour or something. No serious gentleman/gentlelady partakes in a challenge in which you have to stuff your loving face within like 10 minutes or something. It's disgusting. No one wants to watch that. Those loving lunatics that dunk their hotdogs in water are revolting and don't deserve a tshirt, or dignity

Have any of you guys attempted a challenge? What were the conditions? Did you defeat the challenge?

Find food challenges near you (but who knows, with all this covid business, maybe the challenges are not active right now?):
https://www.foodchallenges.com/map-search/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

There's a burger place near me that has a 3lb (12 patty, normal bun) cheeseburger and fries challenge. Apparently some tiny woman has done it like 4 or 5 times, there's an entire section of wall dedicated to her

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
It's really interesting when a person of small stature dominates these challenges. How do they cram all that food in? There's a competitive eater named Molly Schuyler who's thin and like 5'7", and she's just out of control. Her list of accomplishments, frankly, sounds like bullshit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Schuyler

A 3lb burger challenge would be my undoing, because my first instinct is "lol only 3lbs? hell yeah I can do that", but I think if i actually tried I'd punk out after like 2lbs

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
https://www.clintonstationdiner.com/

quote:

If you and 9 friends can finish the "8th Wonder" (105 lbs total) in 1 hour we'll give you $2,000! That contest must be between 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. and must be witnessed by CSD management.

After COVID........ Destroy the 105 lb burger we shall.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
what is the capacity of an adult human stomach anyway, like before it starts to explode

i think the most i ever consumed in one sitting was 3lbs (a steak, a burg, and fries + beer)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Insane Totoro posted:

https://www.clintonstationdiner.com/

After COVID........ Destroy the 105 lb burger we shall.

Unless your buddies are all competitive eaters or something, its gonna be hard to find 9 other people that can all eat more than 10 pounds of food in a sitting. Some of their other easier challenges may be doable though

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

At a local bar, there is a challenge of needing to finish a fisbowl of alcohol that is mixed with candy such a swedish fish and the like. There was no time limit but finishing it with bar food made me wreck the bathroom something fierce and I blacked out at some point before friends took me home some time later.

The reward for finishing the challenge was a Polaroid of you on the bar ceiling.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the total death count is from eating challenges.

I once had to do a report on a Japanese athlete for Japanese class back in university, so naturally I chose Takeru Kobayashi. 🌭 :japan:

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I have done the BW3 Blazin challenge. It was not that bad food wise, but I normally do a spice level or 2 down from top. So when I was done in about 5 min, I had the hiccups for like 20 min after.

I did get a free shirt and the knowledge that I am all that is man?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

My goal in life is to do one of these food challenges. Not the super spicy ones or the strict time limit ones, just: here's your mountain of food, dig in ya pig.

I ate an entire 18' Costco combo pizza in one sitting, how close am I to undertake such a task?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

halokiller posted:

My goal in life is to do one of these food challenges. Not the super spicy ones or the strict time limit ones, just: here's your mountain of food, dig in ya pig.

I ate an entire 18' Costco combo pizza in one sitting, how close am I to undertake such a task?

Those pizzas are gigantic and loaded with cheese. I think you're ready.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

TV Zombie posted:

At a local bar, there is a challenge of needing to finish a fisbowl of alcohol that is mixed with candy such a swedish fish and the like. There was no time limit but finishing it with bar food made me wreck the bathroom something fierce and I blacked out at some point before friends took me home some time later.

The reward for finishing the challenge was a Polaroid of you on the bar ceiling.

:stare: I think in general, challenges where you must consume a large amount of alcohol are probably a bad/dangerous idea. Something I totally would've tried in my college years, though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd win one of those easily.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I did Cheeburger Cheeburger’s one pound burger once but declined to have my picture taken.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

WHY BONER NOW posted:

According to the internet, a local mexican restaurant near me has a huge 7lb burrito contest, but I've never heard of it so next time I go there (after all this covid business dies down), I guess I'll ask. Between you and me, I doubt I could actually eat a 7lb burrito without some intense training before.

If you’re in Denver and thinking of Jack N Grill, it closed in 2018 sorry OP. You’re not missing out that much, even their 1lb burritos were very starch/potatoey and not that great by Denver standards.

For content, we do have a few challenges in town that I know of tho. I love pho and really want to try and fail the Pho-King challenge:

http://pho95noodlehouse.com/pho-king-challenge

quote:

Challenge Meal Includes:
- 2 lbs of noodles
- 2 lbs of meat
- 200 oz of broth
- Separate Plate of Vegetables

How could you not?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

If you’re in Denver and thinking of Jack N Grill, it closed in 2018 sorry OP. You’re not missing out that much, even their 1lb burritos were very starch/potatoey and not that great by Denver standards.

For content, we do have a few challenges in town that I know of tho. I love pho and really want to try and fail the Pho-King challenge:

http://pho95noodlehouse.com/pho-king-challenge

How could you not?

Nope, I'm in Iowa. That Pho challenge looks awesome though (the defeat t-shirt is awesome). There's an Asian restaurant in town that me and some coworkers go to every now and then that has awesome pho (I get it every time). And the owner is a real card, we're reasonably sure he'd be open to implementing a similar challenge. Next time we go there I'm asking him

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'd win one of those easily.

don't you post in the alcoholism thread

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
A 3lb burger challenge would be my undoing, because my first instinct is "lol only 3lbs? hell yeah I can do that", but I think if i actually tried I'd punk out after like 2lbs
[/quote]

I have a cast iron stomach and after a heavy night of :420: without eating (because you'll come down some if you do), I can stuff myself to and through the gills on all manner of stoner food to the point of being awake for hours because my gut is too uncomfortable. But even a 1 lb. cheeseburger with a proportionate amount of fries is like drinking lead for me. And I'll want to puke for hours and not be able to. It's even more fun when immediately followed by like the better half of a half gallon of Edy's Rocky Road (yeah this was back when they were still actually half a gallon).

The sopping wet hot dogs I can understand, but yeah who wants to watch that?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bob dobbs is dead posted:

don't you post in the alcoholism thread

The one that existed like 3 years ago?

Yes.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

neck this raw pork chop after the manner of a duck and win all the unclaimed hotel keycards you can carry

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
https://www.bennysva.com/bennys-challenge/

They're like a regional chain that seems to mainly set up in college towns, but the pizza is pretty damned good. 28" pepperoni and sausage pizza, 1 hour (or a few minutes, if you're a "pro"), $500 if you can finish, at least according to the website. I was in the charlottesville location a few weeks ago, and the flyer said $280, and my brother said the one in richmond had the same thing,. Still, $280 for eating a pizza is a pretty sweet deal, assuming you can do it. Personally, I eat 3/16ths of one as a regular meal, but could probably power through 5/16ths if I really had to. None of the people working the charlottesville location had ever seen anyone attempt it.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 16, 2020

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

That's eating slightly more than two entire Costco pizzas in one sitting. lol 10,000 calories too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’ve been to that pizza joint in Charlottesville and wondered if anyone had ever knocked it off.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

There's an arcade that I used to frequent and every year (except this one, natch) they host a bunch of tournaments for their games, primarily the music ones, over a weekend. This also includes a cheesesteak eating contest, as this place is known locally for making a drat good cheesesteak at their snack bar - whoever ate three of them the fastest got a cash prize. Some madman apparently did it in a minute and a half, and they offer double the money for anyone who could beat his time. (Nobody ever has.) I've never participated, as I usually also do their Dance Dance Revolution tournaments and uhhhh those don't exactly mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Projectile Vomit Projectile Vomit Revolution certainly isn’t as catchy.