Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

or at least 128 bit video game consoles

like 80s and 90s was all about doubling up those bits, but then what we get to 64 and just stop? fuckin boring as hell. give me more bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
got one right here friendo

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

do you really need to address more than eighteen quintillion, four hundred and forty-six quadrillion, seven hundred and forty-four trillion, seventy-three billion, seven hundred and nine million, five hundred and fifty-two thousand, six hundred and sixteen bytes of memory though

r u ready to WALK fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 16, 2020

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

we should really have more than 2-bit posters by now and yet you're here op

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

if nintendo 64 was 64-bit, gamecube was 128-bit, wii was 256-bit, wii u was 512-bit, and with switch and current gen we're now at 1kilobit actually

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

the rest of the bits you are looking for op are in youre heart

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
you can make your own 128bit computer by gluing two 64bits computers together and using their mices and keyboards in sync

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

do you really need to address more than eighteen quintillion, four hundred and forty-six quadrillion, seven hundred and forty-four trillion, seventy-three billion, seven hundred and nine million, five hundred and fifty-two thousand, six hundred and sixteen bytes of memory though

ought to be enough for everyone

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

yes, for my universe simulator

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

we've got to weigh your mom somehow

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait, you don't have a 128-bit computer?? wow

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i can simulate a 128bit computer with an 8qubit quantum computer. checkmate churchturingailures. too bad the os is a piece of poo poo!1

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

we need to go back to 48 bit computers. 64 is just too many, and 48 bit computers are capable of delivering 25% better battery life. that's more important to me, op.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it was never really about "how big a number can i store" or "how much memory can i address", it's more like "how wide are my address/data buses"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

when we're talking about your mom, we can't just count addresses, we have to count postal codes

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

using atari math a 4 core 64 bit cpu is a 256 bit cpu

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

complete list of people who care how many bits something is:

- 12yr old console warriors who dont know what a bit is

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
itanium is overdue for a comeback

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it was never really about "how big a number can i store" or "how much memory can i address", it's more like "how wide are my address/data buses"

:thunk:

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

its hosed up that neither AMD nor Intel will make a cpu with blast processing. buncha losers

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i guess VIA are a bunch of losers too or whoever else is still making x86 chips

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

well, how wide are they

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

wide butts is what i took away from this post and now my mind is fixated on rear end the greatest thing on gods green earth

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

good old 8-bit super nintendo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
420 bit

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

wish your posts were 128bit so they didnt exist

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

that would be cool so we could run 2 64bit apps at the same time instead of the speculative and unsafe multithreading we use today.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jonny 290 posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can you emulate a higher bit processor than the processor emulating it

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
imagine the new numbers we could make with a 128bit processor

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Zlodo posted:

you can make your own 128bit computer by gluing two 64bits computers together and using their mices and keyboards in sync

i think that just makes a 65 bit computer op

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

a commodore 64 is 32 bit because it has an 8-bit cpu + 8-bit memory + 8-bit sound + 8-bit graphics

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
you could get 64 shaves and haircuts in parallel

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

i do really need a haircut, i haven't been able to get one due to the novel coronavirus outbreak

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what if we just took one bit and gave it a fuckload of coffee

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pardot posted:

i do really need a haircut, i haven't been able to get one due to the novel coronavirus outbreak

i got shaved sides like no comb short and people are like “wow you got a hair cut”

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Silver Alicorn posted:

what if we just took one bit and gave it a fuckload of coffee

I tried this and now my computer won't boot >:(

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

and by the way what's the deal with x86 representing 32-bit architecture? 32 doesn't even go into 86 :mad:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
protected memory was when computers jumped the shark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Pardot posted:

someone in the wfh thread said you go through a valley of bad hair and climb up the other side but the longer mine gets the more it just looks like i'm wearing a loving clown wig.