Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

is that true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

is that true

not quite.

iirc from my former life as a digital camera hardware design person, the human eye can see something around 10 million colors according to the studies that were used to define various srgb color gamuts

24 bit color depth is 16.7 million different combinations of bits.

that seems like enough, but there are a lot of differences. just comparing the number is incomplete.

it probably depends on the pixel format you are using. RGB888 uses 8 bits per pixel, but the human eye is twice as sensitive to green shades as red or blue, so if you really want to represent colors that humans can see you might want to use more bits for green, for example. this is why the bayer image sensor (the most common sensor layout for digital cameras) uses a repeating grid of four squares, with two green pixel sensors for every blue and red sensor.

also some people’s eyes respond to slightly different frequencies, depending on genetics. for example, some people have cones that are sensitive to different frequencies, and some women may have tetrachromacy, where they could detect light between the red and green frequencies that most people see, and rod cells mght also contribute to color vision in some circumstances.

eyes and pixels are really very different ways of sampling and encoding color vision so comparing “number of possible combinations” is too simplistic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the wackiest thing about color vision to me is that pink light doesn't exist.

we all know what a color wheel looks like, and it's obvious how the colors blend

but uh where on the electromagnetic spectrum does it wrap from red to violet, again?

every color of the rainbow can be represented by a discrete wavelength of monochromatic light, but pink only exists as what our brains have decided a combination of red and violet light should look like.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
a bit saved is a bit earned

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

also like, brown kinda doesn't exist depending on how you define it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4aWZRtTwU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

not quite.

iirc from my former life as a digital camera hardware design person, the human eye can see something around 10 million colors according to the studies that were used to define various srgb color gamuts

that seems like enough, but there are a lot of differences. just comparing the number is incomplete.

it probably depends on the pixel format you are using. RGB888 uses 8 bits per pixel, but the human eye is twice as sensitive to green shades as red or blue, so if you really want to represent colors that humans can see you might want to use more bits for green, for example. this is why the bayer image sensor (the most common sensor layout for digital cameras) uses a repeating grid of four squares, with two green pixel sensors for every blue and red sensor.

also some people’s eyes respond to slightly different frequencies, depending on genetics. for example, some people have cones that are sensitive to different frequencies, and some women may have tetrachromacy, where they could detect light between the red and green frequencies that most people see, and rod cells mght also contribute to color vision in some circumstances.

eyes and pixels are really very different ways of sampling and encoding color vision so comparing “number of possible combinations” is too simplistic

nerd

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
brains are weird

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

not quite.

:words:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

we all know what a color wheel looks like, and it's obvious how the colors blend

but uh where on the electromagnetic spectrum does it wrap from red to violet, again?

every color of the rainbow can be represented by a discrete wavelength of monochromatic light, but pink only exists as what our brains have decided a combination of red and violet light should look like.

this makes sense. the spectrum is pure frequencies, and it seems totally reasonable that compound signals would manifest differently. music works the same way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:smugmrgw:

Pardot posted:

also like, brown kinda doesn't exist depending on how you define it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4aWZRtTwU

orange is just bright brown

Sagebrush posted:

reminder that colour as a concept only exists within our subjective experience

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

maybe we all see colours differently? maybe what i see as red is someone else's blue :2bong:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

actually i remember reading a while back that everyone’s brains seem to respond in a similar enough way across the board to a given colour that the researchers seemed confident to say “yup, everyone probably sees colour x the same way more or less”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
we only need about 34 bits but the enemy has figured out 52 bits so we have to press on