Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't think even Tucker wants actual power. He's making CEO money at Fox and gets to shoot off his mouth with no repercussions at this point - the more outrageous he is, the more his viewers love him. Anything that would get him fired/canceled at Fox will likely also make him unelectable - and he has far less responsibility to actually accomplish anything.

This is true, Tucker has no interest in political power, he only wants to grift on his poo poo show and rack up the moolah until he early retires from his family fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Tucker Carlson is heavily produced and he has the same setup of 50+ people working tirelessly behind the scenes to make it all look like one dude offering his opinions that O'Reilly had.

It's FOX, Tucker's a human mechanical turk operated by FOX.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Carlson also saw how trump has had everything he every scrutinized and is under investigation. No one in their right mind wants to jump into that spotlight that isn't a life long politician, and especially if he could potentially have some massive skeletons in his closet.

Or had a TV series do a whole episode on how he is a massive walking literal cock.

The scrutiny out in place on him now is nothing compared to a run for president, and no grifter will willingly do it unless they believe their own farts.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Carlson also saw how trump has had everything he every scrutinized and is under investigation. No one in their right mind wants to jump into that spotlight that isn't a life long politician, and especially if he could potentially have some massive skeletons in his closet.

Or had a TV series do a whole episode on how he is a massive walking literal cock.

The scrutiny out in place on him now is nothing compared to a run for president, and no grifter will willingly do it unless they believe their own farts.

Even as blatant as Trump was about a ton of poo poo, he's still a free man. I don't know why anyone would view that as a cautionary tale. Even if something does end up happening, I feel like the takeway would just be to be less blatantly criminal and corrupt, not that it's too risky to be powerful in America.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Sinteres posted:

Even as blatant as Trump was about a ton of poo poo, he's still a free man. I don't know why anyone would view that as a cautionary tale. Even if something does end up happening, I feel like the takeway would just be to be less blatantly criminal and corrupt, not that it's too risky to be powerful in America.

Right now it isn't any kind of tale. If and when charges are brought, who they are brought against will determine whether or not it's a cautionary tale. If it's just the Trump Org, it will make people even more brazen. OTOH, if it's Trump, his kids, Kushner, and various other hangers-on (whether in a political or financial capacity), it will be a massive cautionary tale - even the chance of getting pulled into court for a years long trial is exhausting.

The real question now is whether the prosecutors have enough evidence and backing to follow through.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
This duplicitous SOB. It's all been chronicled, you poo poo head.

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1498479688297050115

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Trump has absolutely zero shame, so skeletons being aired doesn't bother him. Most people aren't like that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1499552778158444544

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I called his total 180 on russia

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Just a reminder that Carlson also has a side gig as a catty gossiper.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Umberto Eco is spinning in his grave fast enough to power all of Italy.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Despera posted:

I called his total 180 on russia

It's almost as if when the Russian economy crashes and the dirty money stops flowing, those on the right magically see the light.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is the statistical significance of being the top cable news show in America? If I’m worried about, for example, Joe Rogan’s reach, is Tucker in that range? Does he have supplemental content that reaches farther, like a podcast or youtube clips?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CocoaNuts posted:

It's almost as if when the Russian economy crashes and the dirty money stops flowing, those on the right magically see the light.

What

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CocoaNuts posted:

It's a perspective thing. The most-watched cable news host on the one hand, but 4.2 million viewers represents only 1.3 per cent of Americans.

https://twitter.com/mrddmia/status/1273107159987957761

https://twitter.com/RyanAFournier/status/1272600365360386054

^^^ I mean, for me it's as simple as this guy suggests. I simply don't watch. I'd prefer that Tucker Carlson not even be on the air spewing his antagonistic sophistry, but free speech and stuff.

From 2018: "According to Nielsen Media Research, the top-rated markets for the show are Ft. Myers, Florida; Knoxville, Tennessee; Jacksonville, Florida; West Palm Beach, Florida; Las Vegas, Nevada; Birmingham, Alabama; Orlando, Florida; Atlanta, Georgia; Greenville, South Carolina; and Buffalo, New York. Only half of these cities went for Trump in the 2016 election, but they are (with the exception of Birmingham and Atlanta) overwhelmingly white and middle class, with an average age of 36."

That detail is from a good analytical Columbia Journalism Review article on Carlson's background. The markets are likely still the same, but his audience has grown substantially since then.

https://www.cjr.org/the_profile/tucker-carlson.php

"You oughta let people say what they think and you shouldn’t punish them for that, period. That’s how I feel.”

--Tucker Carlson

Do we have to agree with Tucker on that much, at least?

OP, I’m got family from Ft Myers and it’s full of old as gently caress retirees ready to die. It’s a cultural wasteland with nothing distinctive or interesting about it beyond it being Florida and the weather being okay in the winter.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tucker wants to be inside Putin, who himself wanted to be inside Stalin.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CocoaNuts posted:

Christ, just replace the label with a bow-tie, job done.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
He cannot hide his loyalties:

https://twitter.com/saletan/status/1502509892548153346

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oh poo poo, did they find a way to transfer money inspite of the sanctions already?

BeckySucrose
Mar 1, 2022

funeral home DJ posted:

Tucker Carlson is pretty much the prime example of “The Paradox of Tolerance” thing where his entire White Power Hour relies on the principle free speech he so desperately wants to destroy.

In short, he’s a loathsome fucker and should be taken off the air.

I haven't gotten the impression that Tucker is opposed to freedom of speech, at least in the legal sense. I've just seen him whine about PBS Kids programming that he doesn't approve of. Is this an inference made based on his support for Trump, or did he say something specific?

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The complete destruction and isolation of any meaningful Left in American politics forced it to retreat to the academies and ally with various forms of social dysfunction (fat activism, family abolition, hyper-therapeutic language) that justifiably weird out normal people. In return, the Right was able to capture some of that space and energy by saying what was obviously true but that the Left would never be allowed to say. While Obama won the 2008 primary by critiquing the Iraq War, he had to be circumspect about how he described it and tack right on Afghanistan as the "good war". By 2016 Trump was able to tell Jeb Bush, on stage to his face, that his brother got thousands of people killed on 9/11 and the Iraq War was a disaster resulting from lies about WMDs. If any remotely liberal, let alone Left, person did that they would have been crucified by both the Right and the Establishment Liberals.

Tucker is the same phenomenon. He is able to capture valuable ideological territory around trade, war, and (sometimes) labor because he will catch far less heat for doing so and the Left made a tactical decision to ally with the most off-putting and alienating members of the American body politic: professors, NGO climbers, and professional activists.

You are my favorite poster on this board.

BeckySucrose fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 13, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BeckySucrose posted:

I haven't gotten the impression that Tucker is opposed to freedom of speech, at least in the legal sense. I've just seen him whine about PBS Kids programming that he doesn't approve of. Is this an inference made based on his support for Trump, or did he say something specific?

Doesn’t he support banning “critical race theory” and firing teachers for being unamerican/acknowledging trans kids/acknowledging covid?

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I can’t cite to it but I guarantee you Tucker supports all those things.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So I don’t think he can be very supportive of free speech as a principle if he wants people silenced or otherwise punished for what they say.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh poo poo, did they find a way to transfer money inspite of the sanctions already?

Quite possibly.

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1502776103143976963

BeckySucrose
Mar 1, 2022

I AM GRANDO posted:

So I don’t think he can be very supportive of free speech as a principle if he wants people silenced or otherwise punished for what they say.

I agree, although freedom of speech as a legal principle and freedom of speech as a social norm are two different things.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/1503002520460972037

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Wrong thread.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 22, 2022

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Yes, we all wonder...

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
https://twitter.com/SpiroAgnewGhost/status/1503859872781291520

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wild to think that, had O’Reilly not been a sex pest, Tucker would still be toiling in the late-night slot still mostly known as “the guy that got owned by Jon Stewart that one time.”

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Pants Donkey posted:

Wild to think that, had O’Reilly not been a sex pest, Tucker would still be toiling in the late-night slot still mostly known as “the guy that got owned by Jon Stewart that one time.”

there is always more, and it's always worse

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
He's getting defensive about the Russia thing. Too freakin' bad. He has earned it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I wish they would stop comparing modern day Russia dweebs to Soviet era iconography.

Also,

ah yes, Tuskieya Sayalsoi.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tesseraction posted:

I wish they would stop comparing modern day Russia dweebs to Soviet era iconography.

To be fair they are really really dumb

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

CocoaNuts posted:

He's getting defensive about the Russia thing. Too freakin' bad. He has earned it.

I mean, the Communism angle is wrong, but it’s also pushing for Chuds to turn against fish-sticks for being an agent for Russia, so

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

I mean, the Communism angle is wrong, but it’s also pushing for Chuds to turn against fish-sticks for being an agent for Russia, so

The Communism angle is wrong, but Soviet imperialism angle is pretty spot on

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mobby_6kl posted:

The Communism angle is wrong, but Soviet imperialism angle is pretty spot on
It's Russian imperialism, since he has denounced Lenin.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's Russian imperialism, since he has denounced Lenin.
Hmm yeah you're right, he did, but weren't they rehabilitating Stalin though?

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1505285653457772552?s=20&t=XvMZjTBzMxScEBeIwxOh3Q

"legendary Kid Rock" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Hmm yeah you're right, he did, but weren't they rehabilitating Stalin though?

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1505285653457772552?s=20&t=XvMZjTBzMxScEBeIwxOh3Q

"legendary Kid Rock" lol

Nobody's more authentic than him, don't you know. (I doubt anyone will know what I'm referencing)