Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What is the statistical significance of being the top cable news show in America? If I’m worried about, for example, Joe Rogan’s reach, is Tucker in that range? Does he have supplemental content that reaches farther, like a podcast or youtube clips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BeckySucrose posted:

I haven't gotten the impression that Tucker is opposed to freedom of speech, at least in the legal sense. I've just seen him whine about PBS Kids programming that he doesn't approve of. Is this an inference made based on his support for Trump, or did he say something specific?

Doesn’t he support banning “critical race theory” and firing teachers for being unamerican/acknowledging trans kids/acknowledging covid?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So I don’t think he can be very supportive of free speech as a principle if he wants people silenced or otherwise punished for what they say.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s stupid because who’s talking about regime change in Russia except for the chattering imbeciles who populate cable news? Oh it sure would be bad if crazy Old Man Biden did a color revolution on Russia with the CIA. Nobody but the ghouls in the press corps are interested in that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dog King posted:

I haven't read the entire thread, no. Just the last page to see if that video had been posted or people were talking about it. But the idea that certain social media platforms have become large enough that banning someone from them is a significant abridgement of their ability to speak in the public square is not conservative or right-wing. It just happens to be convenient for them, because they're the ones being banned right now. The ideology behind the idea is much more comfortably leftist (removing excessive power of private corporations for the public good) or liberal (preserving civil liberty).

There also is some legal precedent for this, like as Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins.

Saying it’s unconstitutional to ban someone from twitter is a right-wing talking point. The constitution has nothing to do with it, but they want to control social media with laws and court rulings so that it serves them. The framing here serves that goal.

Saying it’s correct to nationalize all social media should be the left-wing talking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A month ago he was ranting about the relative fuckability of m&m mascots and got away with that. I don’t think there’s a bottom. As long as he feeds their need, they won’t stop.