Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeckySucrose
Mar 1, 2022

funeral home DJ posted:

Tucker Carlson is pretty much the prime example of “The Paradox of Tolerance” thing where his entire White Power Hour relies on the principle free speech he so desperately wants to destroy.

In short, he’s a loathsome fucker and should be taken off the air.

I haven't gotten the impression that Tucker is opposed to freedom of speech, at least in the legal sense. I've just seen him whine about PBS Kids programming that he doesn't approve of. Is this an inference made based on his support for Trump, or did he say something specific?

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The complete destruction and isolation of any meaningful Left in American politics forced it to retreat to the academies and ally with various forms of social dysfunction (fat activism, family abolition, hyper-therapeutic language) that justifiably weird out normal people. In return, the Right was able to capture some of that space and energy by saying what was obviously true but that the Left would never be allowed to say. While Obama won the 2008 primary by critiquing the Iraq War, he had to be circumspect about how he described it and tack right on Afghanistan as the "good war". By 2016 Trump was able to tell Jeb Bush, on stage to his face, that his brother got thousands of people killed on 9/11 and the Iraq War was a disaster resulting from lies about WMDs. If any remotely liberal, let alone Left, person did that they would have been crucified by both the Right and the Establishment Liberals.

Tucker is the same phenomenon. He is able to capture valuable ideological territory around trade, war, and (sometimes) labor because he will catch far less heat for doing so and the Left made a tactical decision to ally with the most off-putting and alienating members of the American body politic: professors, NGO climbers, and professional activists.

You are my favorite poster on this board.

BeckySucrose fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeckySucrose
Mar 1, 2022

I AM GRANDO posted:

So I don’t think he can be very supportive of free speech as a principle if he wants people silenced or otherwise punished for what they say.

I agree, although freedom of speech as a legal principle and freedom of speech as a social norm are two different things.