Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fill Baptismal posted:

Cucker Tarlson is a vile piece of poo poo, but it would be a mistake to think he was stupid. He won some writing awards back in the day and he’s clearly intelligent. His fascism is opportunistic rather than atavistic I think, but that doesn’t make him any less dangerous.

I think it's super unclear if the persona before was the socially acceptable form of a racist who thought the winds were blowing a different way and unmasked when he found an opening, or if he really was just a generic mild effete Republican type who turned to racism for ratings after watching Trump win and deciding culture war poo poo is how you smuggle in the unpopular Republican policies he cares about. I think the anti-vaccine poo poo is total kayfabe, but with the racism I think it could go either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So far I don't think anyone who knows him has hinted that he's interested in being president, but I think ruling it out because of the idea that he might not accomplish much or whatever doesn't make a lot of sense. Like yeah he's getting rich and has a certain level of power in his current job, but the US president, no matter who they are, is one of the most important people in the world, and that clearly has an appeal to some people that money or comfort or whatever can't top. If he saw a path, it's hard to imagine he wouldn't at least consider it. I personally don't think he's charismatic enough to reach beyond his core audience, but we were all wrong about Trump's appeal in 2016, so maybe I'd be wrong about that too, who knows.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Carlson also saw how trump has had everything he every scrutinized and is under investigation. No one in their right mind wants to jump into that spotlight that isn't a life long politician, and especially if he could potentially have some massive skeletons in his closet.

Or had a TV series do a whole episode on how he is a massive walking literal cock.

The scrutiny out in place on him now is nothing compared to a run for president, and no grifter will willingly do it unless they believe their own farts.

Even as blatant as Trump was about a ton of poo poo, he's still a free man. I don't know why anyone would view that as a cautionary tale. Even if something does end up happening, I feel like the takeway would just be to be less blatantly criminal and corrupt, not that it's too risky to be powerful in America.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PeterWeller posted:

I like that Tucker deliberately makes that face too. He puts on this confused mug because he thinks that's how thoughtful people look when smart people are talking to them because he thinks he is a smart person and when he talks to people they look utterly confused by whatever nonsense he's trying to sell them.

I assume this was supposed to be a joke, but that's not what he thinks smart people look like. He's a prep school dweeb who used to wear a bow tie. It's him shedding all the intellectual poo poo and trying to look like just a dude. He's not a dumbass, he's just pandering to people he (correctly) believes are dumbasses.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CocoaNuts posted:

Fucker Carlson warns that removing Putin would make things worse.

“So, Russia has a large and restive population of Islamic extremists. Do we think it’s possible that with no one running the country ― because of course we have no chosen successor to Putin ― is it possible, if we did that, that one of those 6,000 nuclear weapons might wind up in the hands of some anti-American terror group and be used against our civilian population here?” he asked. “A nuclear weapon! Well, it’s not just possible, it’s likely.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tucker-carlson-goes-big-protecting-065556448.html

What a POS!

Russian state collapse is legitimately a terrifying prospect. The Soviet collapse was messy as hell as it was, and obviously led to widespread devastation and even death for many of the people living there, and that was with at least some amount of cooperation between Russia and the West to deal with nuclear security issues. State collapse is obviously an extreme scenario, but if the sanctions pressure really did tip Russia into failed state territory to the point where regime survival was at stake, the consequences could conceivably be bad in a whole bunch of ways, even if saying nuclear weapons falling into the hands of terror groups would be likely is overstating the case.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s stupid because who’s talking about regime change in Russia except for the chattering imbeciles who populate cable news? Oh it sure would be bad if crazy Old Man Biden did a color revolution on Russia with the CIA. Nobody but the ghouls in the press corps are interested in that.

Biden borderline called for regime change the other day even if he kind of walked it back and said it was just a moral perspective rather than his policy position, and some of the biggest advocates of crippling sanctions have made it pretty clear that regime change by other means is at least a longshot goal. I think there would be huge buyer's remorse and a lot of policy wonks would suddenly say they didn't mean to actually do it if it suddenly materialized (which, to be clear, I don't think is likely), but this level of sanctions pressure overnight is pretty much unprecedented, so it's not like they can say oops we tried to be careful but accidentally went too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh no, what is Russia going to do without putin? Invade a European country?

There's a decent chance there would be another war inside Russia, and like I said if the Soviet collapse was any indication state/economic collapse within Russia could lead to a whole lot of early deaths. Maybe it's hard to remember while hyped up on war propaganda, but Russians are people too and we should care if our policies contribute to suffering there even if they can't retaliate against us, especially since everyone agrees Putin is a brutal dictator so he doesn't represent the will of the Russian people.