Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CocoaNuts posted:

It's a perspective thing. The most-watched cable news host on the one hand, but 4.2 million viewers represents only 1.3 per cent of Americans.

https://twitter.com/mrddmia/status/1273107159987957761

https://twitter.com/RyanAFournier/status/1272600365360386054

^^^ I mean, for me it's as simple as this guy suggests. I simply don't watch. I'd prefer that Tucker Carlson not even be on the air spewing his antagonistic sophistry, but free speech and stuff.

From 2018: "According to Nielsen Media Research, the top-rated markets for the show are Ft. Myers, Florida; Knoxville, Tennessee; Jacksonville, Florida; West Palm Beach, Florida; Las Vegas, Nevada; Birmingham, Alabama; Orlando, Florida; Atlanta, Georgia; Greenville, South Carolina; and Buffalo, New York. Only half of these cities went for Trump in the 2016 election, but they are (with the exception of Birmingham and Atlanta) overwhelmingly white and middle class, with an average age of 36."

That detail is from a good analytical Columbia Journalism Review article on Carlson's background. The markets are likely still the same, but his audience has grown substantially since then.

https://www.cjr.org/the_profile/tucker-carlson.php

"You oughta let people say what they think and you shouldn’t punish them for that, period. That’s how I feel.”

--Tucker Carlson

Do we have to agree with Tucker on that much, at least?

OP, I’m got family from Ft Myers and it’s full of old as gently caress retirees ready to die. It’s a cultural wasteland with nothing distinctive or interesting about it beyond it being Florida and the weather being okay in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, maybe Russia shouldn't have started that war then? 🤔

Look at who’s victim blaming now. Checkmate :smuggo: