Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

AlexanderCA posted:

This point of view is completely alien to me, and I hope many others.

one would hope the statement "calls to genocide the lesser peoples of the world should not be given open license" is uncontroversial.

it is only on practical grounds that the concept can be (and, to be clear, should be) defended, because on moral grounds it is trivially clear that some speech constitutes a hazard to the populace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

As near as I and most people can tell, he's not a true believer, it's just an evil piece of poo poo.

depends on what you mean by true believer. as far as neoconservative thought goes, he's a born-and-bred true believer. kind of thing that happens when your dad's a big wheel at Voice of America and there's a part of your life story that reads "went to Nicaragua to help the Contras." as far as the stuff he says on TV, -that- has always been transparent pandering. back during the Bush years his angle was The Proud Elitist, the guy who's sick and tired of having to pretend that the rabble and their concerns are anything the true and rightful rulers of the country should give a poo poo about. the bowtie Jon Stewart so famously gave him poo poo for was part of a pretty carefully crafted persona! as the leading lights of the New Atheism movement learned around this time, there were a lot of very rich people who had spent the Clinton years fuming about being out of power, and catering to their feeling of triumphant reclamation of the reins of the world was a great way to expedite your career!

then the neocon project faceplanted and he learned a valuable lesson about a brand premised on "we are on top and will be on top forever." the modern tucker carlson is something born of the realization that there will be times he and his are not calling the shots, and it's important to have some kind of explanation for why your audience is not seeing anything in the world get better for them either with you in power or without you in power.

and so you get modern tucker carlson, a man who spends most of his time pointing at his bush-era self and saying "yup, all elites are exactly like that guy, they are exclusively motivated by hating you and you personally, and anything that happens you don't like is because of their inexplicable malevolence, aren't you lucky you have champions like me and whoever I tell you the good ones are today"