Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkhammer
Mar 18, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

:words: My parents noticed I was colorblind because I’d draw grass with an orange crayon or water with purple.

I’m very pro just putting a device on flags too.

Thank you so much for this well thought-out and written reply to a random question.

It's actually something I've occasionally considered when other lovers of flags say "they should be uncomplicated enough that a kindergartener could draw them"; but what about the kindergarteners who can't discern colours? They'd surely be better off with some kind of anchor to hold on to.

fe: randomly googled anchor flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I would go one step further and say they have to look like they were drawn by a kindergartener

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's pretty rare that flags are used to distinguish different countries, most uses are just one flag celebrating (or whatever) one country. And even in the Olympics, where they're actually used to distinguish countries, you still have the athlete names as a clue. Plus, unless it's something like Ireland Vs Italy, the flags are still reasonably distinct for most colour blind people. And most real life people can't even remember the difference between Russia and Netherlands (and France) anyway.

The point is fair though, I just don't think it's a huge issue.
For the various pride flags, they're generally used to signal friendliness to sexual minorities, and in 99% of cases, any variation on a rainbow flag means you're welcome, if you're gay, trans, intersex or whatever. The extra stripes are a nice gesture, but in terms of indexing safe spaces, they don't really matter.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Jerkhammer posted:

Thank you so much for this well thought-out and written reply to a random question.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

BonHair posted:

It's pretty rare that flags are used to distinguish different countries, most uses are just one flag celebrating (or whatever) one country. And even in the Olympics, where they're actually used to distinguish countries, you still have the athlete names as a clue. Plus, unless it's something like Ireland Vs Italy, the flags are still reasonably distinct for most colour blind people. And most real life people can't even remember the difference between Russia and Netherlands (and France) anyway.

The point is fair though, I just don't think it's a huge issue.
For the various pride flags, they're generally used to signal friendliness to sexual minorities, and in 99% of cases, any variation on a rainbow flag means you're welcome, if you're gay, trans, intersex or whatever. The extra stripes are a nice gesture, but in terms of indexing safe spaces, they don't really matter.

O it's quite minor in the scheme of things and I hope the tone of my post didn't make it sound like a big deal. It's only really a disability in the technical sense of it is a thing one is unable to do : in terms of practical ability, I think I get the better end of this deal because not having/caring about cones/colors means I've got freakishly good night vision. The classic evo-bio post hoc hypothesis is that it's a great example of a sex-linked mutation : having a small (mostly male) chunk of the population that can see in the dark at the cost of those individuals being useless at foraging ("Is this fruit ripe?" is a problem when red and green aren't distinct), is a pretty useful trade-off for a hypothetical group of Paleolithic hunter-gatherers. (Note : I do no advocate for this hypothesis and just shrug ; it goes in the big bag of unfalsifiable post-hoc evo psych stuff.)

More, I'm just pro devices on flags. gently caress yeah, put a bear with a kitchen mixer or a pentagram made out of salmon on your flag or something. Just having a bunch of colors is boring in addition to not being legible to the colorblind.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

-stuff about colourblindness-

Thanks for the response. I think I agree on the concept of devices - from a game design perspective, I've always been a huge fan of like "two-factor distinction" - sort like how xbox and playstation buttons have both a letter/symbol AND colour associated with them. Visual language that uses shape AND colour makes is both more accommodating and just more powerful.

I'd be certainly interested in seeing what people would come up with regards to devices for pride flags.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

throwing "actually the Pride flags are abelist" into Tumblr like a pipe-bomb
Let's throw in "Except for Straight Pride" also, since that's just black and white.

Oxyclean posted:

I'd be certainly interested in seeing what people would come up with regards to devices for pride flags.
Looking up that image I linked, I found a lot of gender symbols. Like, 50 different varieties, which ended up looking like symbols for an electrical diagram to me when taken in as a whole.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is great untapped potential in incorporating optical illusions in flags.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Platystemon posted:

There is great untapped potential in incorporating optical illusions in flags.

There isn't much that I feel I need