Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Best US flag is the 48 star flag absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Best US flag is the 48 star flag absolutely.

I'll be deep in the cold cold ground before I recognize Missourah

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

exmarx posted:

northern territory

candy corn

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
My hometown flag (St. Petersburg, FL):

The colors are for the sunlight, grass, and water. Pelicans are jerks and we are littered with them. I've always had a soft sport for the rainbow style pattern. St. Pete also has the largest Pride Parade in Florida so it even fits a theme not thought about when it was introduced in the 80s.

It's also much better than whatever this is in Tampa:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Look at its amazing symmetrical beauty. Look at it! We need to get rid of 4 states and grant DC and Puerto Rico statehood to go back to it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Alright time to talk about one of my least favorite state flag redesign projects, the "United We Stand" project. A graphic designer from Philadelphia named Ed Mitchell heard the flag episode of 99% Invisible that robbed us of the beauty of the Provo and Pocatello flags and decided to try his hand at redesigning all 50 state flags despite only learning the 5 basic rules of flag design from NAVA two days ago.

Now the vast majority of the state flags are SOB trash as we all know, but some of them are good right? Like Arizona is usually fairly well thought of, if bland right?

WRONG. You see Mitchell specializes in branding and from the perspective of branding the flags are complete trash. Arizona has red and blue sure, but what the gently caress is with that yellow and that orange? Representing the sunset motherfucker? No, Arizona is an american state so it should only use American colors like Red, White and Blue. The stars and stripes are good though because the american flag uses stars. So the multi-colored sunset you see above becomes this:

Arizona's flag is one of the ones which gets redesigned the least only getting its colors changed since it already uses the central braing elements of stars and stripes.

The very beloved California flag which callously breaks the rules on lettering goes from this:

to this:

The curves represent the "feeling of driving along the coastline"

Some of them get kind of abstract like Kentucky (the flag is posted earlier in the thread and its just a boring SOB)

The angled lines represent both unity and "suggest the letter K"

The best one is Florida which goes from a modified Spanish St. Andrews Cross/Stealth confederate inspiration (there's actual debate around it since St. Andrews crosses are very common in flags. The argument for is based mainly around the time of adoption)

to North Korea

This flag represents "A sun rising over the ocean" as the Sunshine State and also the eternal glory of Juche principles.

Credit where credit is due, I like his Kansas

A genuinely good flag I think. It would look better without the star.

This is his website if you want to look at the design statements or go through the others.

https://www.bresslergroup.com/blog/united-we-stand/

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah this is pretty great. Something that might be under appreciated is how the ends of the rays work out to seemingly perfect thirds, or the colour balance going on.

Ikasuhito posted:

Idk I've always been rather partial to the other finalist.

I like this one too, but I prefer the simplicity of the modern one, both in terms of colour and geometry

While we're posting Canadian flags and "flags in flags" messes:

The last original Canadian red ensign, before they adopted a simplified version, which lasted until the Maple Leaf:

Which is a flag frequently co-opted by Canadian white nationalists because it harkens to an era when Canada was still mostly while. Be wary of any Canadian that flies this flag with pride.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ahaha gently caress this being a thing to make a flag of.

Oh I may as well cross post my flag designing post in the map thread:

Jehde posted:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Union Jack represents the UK, namesake and colonizer of British Columbia. The sun represents the gods, the only ones who can afford Vancouver property

In google image searching for the original flag, I noticed this reddit redesign as the seventh result. I liked the gist of it enough that I went ahead and mocked up a republican (as in anti-monarchist) version of it, copying elements from the redesign:

The top left green triangle represents Vancouver Island, the top right Haida Gwaii, and the three along the bottom represent the Coastal, Rocky, and Interior mountains. Still with the sun setting over the Pacific. It's not perfect, but it doesn't have a Union Jack or a crown, so it's objectively better. :colbert:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 24, 2020

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Arizona's flag is one of the ones which gets redesigned the least only getting its colors changed since it already uses the central braing elements of stars and stripes.

This is his website if you want to look at the design statements or go through the others.

Arizona or Karen National Liberation Army?

This guy's project is like imagining US state flags as the pennants, ensigns, and flags of officials of the Soviet navy.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 24, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This wouldn't be that bad if he used a palette of 6 or 7 colors that look ok together, even if each flag used only 3-4 colors. I think a more consistent way of presenting state symbols might have helped too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The very beloved California flag which callously breaks the rules on lettering goes from this:

I have a grudge against this flag. First off, there's the whole rule about text on a flag, especially the state name, because if you need to say what your name is on top of the symbology of the flag, you've got a bad symbol. It's redundant.

But then technically it's not the state name, it was the name of their incredibly brief stint at independence that didn't quite last a month because it was a revolt led by American immigrants and they welcomed annexation as part of the Mexican American war. It's dumb when Texas tries to remind people of its brief days of independence, it's dumb when California does it.

There's also a kind of revisionist angle to it, since the original flag looked pretty terrible. There were other takes on a california bear flag that didn't have the text, but the state decided to enshrine that design element.

The reasoning I saw given for the stripe was that they were trying to emulate the US flag's stripes, which kinda indicates that they were pretty open to annexation instead of independence in the first place.

The bear in the middle is a grizzly, a species that no longer exists in California after being hunted to extinction in the 1920s, so they should either reintroduce the species or take it off their flag. I guess it could be a metaphor for how they don't have any of the qualities that they're proud of.

The star is fine though. There was an earlier revolt in 1836 that used a red star on white for its flag, and it's fine to use an early symbol of a state if it's subtle instead of text.

The flag does make a nice springboard for Fallout to do its own thing though. See they were building a new country, so they called it that, and the bear has two heads because of mutants.

Although when they first appeared in Fallout 2, they had a much, much worse attempt at a flag.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It's actually the river of blood left behind by Killary.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Vermont was an independent Republic for longer than Texas and California put together. The Republic of West Florida was independent for longer than California.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I think my favorite thing about this is if you actually implemented all of these you wouldn't be able to tell most states apart.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This wouldn't be that bad if he used a palette of 6 or 7 colors that look ok together, even if each flag used only 3-4 colors. I think a more consistent way of presenting state symbols might have helped too.

They’re awful. They look like corporate logos which I guess is the point, but it seems like sovereign flags shouldn’t look like the trademark for a cloud services startup

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The US flag should just be all the state flags together in a quilt, original proportions and sizes intact.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

goethe.cx posted:

They’re awful. They look like corporate logos which I guess is the point, but it seems like sovereign flags shouldn’t look like the trademark for a cloud services startup

You say this but all those Japanese flags the nerds love also just look like corporate logos.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Badger of Basra posted:

You say this but all those Japanese flags the nerds love also just look like corporate logos.

That kind of design goes back hundreds of years into their feudal days.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Discendo Vox posted:

Libya in particular has had a range of flags over its tumultuous history; no question which of them is my favorite though:

i was reading a little book a couple of years ago and did an actual lol when i saw the bottom left

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

exmarx posted:

i was reading a little book a couple of years ago and did an actual lol when i saw the bottom left

It's just a gallery of Wikipedia flag versions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Libya.svg
You can find Zscout370 here, though the most recent version is by SiBr4. I haven't found which file has MaggotMaster's version but I haven't searched too long.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I gotta track down gaddaffi's manifesto.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like that that guy made a point of ditching confederate crosses as a symbol and then went and gave Texas the literal bonnie blue flag of the Confederacy's unofficial anthem.

Also good luck selling upstate on a flag based on the Statue of Liberty.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I fixed the American flag:

The all-important stress test:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:ussr:

Magnitogorsk flag
Magnitogorsk contains the largest iron and steel works in the country, Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

tbilisi

podgorica, montenegro

new mexico, 1912–1925

vannes, france

lannion, france

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Secret Nordic city.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

How did we get all the way to page four with nobody posting the abomination that flies over the city of Milwaukee:

This is such a godawful mess with no less than eight flags depicted on it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Nth Doctor posted:

How did we get all the way to page four with nobody posting the abomination that flies over the city of Milwaukee:

This is such a godawful mess with no less than eight flags depicted on it.

drat it, this one makes me mad because it's like they took a decentish core idea (water and gear, maybe also tower) and just piled on every extraneous piece of bullshit they could come up with. It's the McMansion of flags.

For content, here is the flag of my hometown, Richmond:

Here is the piece of garbage it replaced:

Not just Confederate, not just words on flag, but double sided.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 26, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I fixed the American flag:

The all-important stress test:

does that mean new states have to be admitted in groups of 5 or do you use a different polygon for each update depending on what factors easily

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Quorum posted:

Here is the piece of garbage it replaced:

Is that just a crappy rendering or did the actual flag use the "there was an attempt" star instead of geometric ones?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Angepain posted:

does that mean new states have to be admitted in groups of 5 or do you use a different polygon for each update depending on what factors easily

That's going to be rough when 53 rolls around. It's not that far away.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

We should have kept adding new stripes to the flag with new states till at least 30 or so

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

exmarx posted:

lmfao. I wonder whatever happened to MaggotMaster. Still in Gitmo probably

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Angepain posted:

Unless they're gonna rebuild the Pentagon each time, they're gonna have to find another solution than changing the polygon.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Powered Descent posted:

Is that just a crappy rendering or did the actual flag use the "there was an attempt" star instead of geometric ones?

Just a lovely rendering, here's a picture of one of the actual flags:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Unless they're gonna rebuild the Pentagon each time, they're gonna have to find another solution than changing the polygon.

public sector construction projects are a great way to kick-start the economy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Angepain posted:

public sector construction projects are a great way to kick-start the economy

Otoh, the DoD could stand to have less money given to it for stuff.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

Flag of the Haida Nation. Of course Raven is gonna be on it, Raven kicks rear end. Raven, and I quote, "brought the first humans up out of the ground because he needed to fill up a party he was throwing".

I love this flag with it's fantastic traditional NW Coast art style emblem.

The two headed bird figure in the centre has a Raven head and an Eagle head, which represent the two moieties in Haida society. At birth you are either a Raven or Eagle, based on the moiety of your mother (Haida has matriarchal lineage and inheritance).

Coxswain Balls posted:

Any Canadian flag that still uses the Red Ensign or the Union Jack sucks rear end, imo. You're not part of the empire any more, get over it.

British Columbian flag badly needs a redesign, and well the province needs a rename as well. The issue is raised every once in a while but doesn't seem like there's much push to change anything.

There's actually a lot to work with here. Simply get rid of the union jack, simplify the sun and add some green mountains somewhere to to even things out.

What you'd rename the province to however I have no good idea.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 26, 2020

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Femtosecond posted:

Flavourtown?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Alta Washington

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Femtosecond posted:

British Columbian flag badly needs a redesign, and well the province needs a rename as well. The issue is raised every once in a while but doesn't seem like there's much push to change anything.

There's actually a lot to work with here. Simply get rid of the union jack, simplify the sun and add some green mountains somewhere to to even things out.

Jehde posted:

Jehde posted:

The top left green triangle represents Vancouver Island, the top right Haida Gwaii, and the three along the bottom represent the Coastal, Rocky, and Interior mountains. Still with the sun setting over the Pacific. It's not perfect, but it doesn't have a Union Jack or a crown, so it's objectively better. :colbert:

I don't have any good candidates for what the region now commonly known as British Columbia should be called though. All I can think of are lame things like Pacifica.