Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Can't believe Mississippi has the Stennis flag which is adequate if bland and uninspired (Red white and blue color scheme and 20 stars for being the 20th state? It's completely generic and baby's first flag redesign but whatever its not racist and it follows the flag rules). But definitely seems to be the most popular replacement choice among the public because people love lovely flags.

Back when Mississippi seceded from the Union, it declared itself an independent republic, and as one it needed a flag. This was what the secession committee settled on:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Great idea, borrowing an actual american flag's iconography to have 13 stars for the 13 original colonies, only 6 of which actually consented to secession.

That was basically The Point, a "we're the REAL Americans" thing, plus the Confederacy did admit 13 states.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Forget Norway!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hey guys, what's-

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Septic Knothead posted:

I am hoping some of you flag experts can help me ID a flag I saw hanging in a home office over a Zoom call. By memory it was in a Texas home, seven alternating red and white stripes and sixteen (I think) stars in a circle in the upper left. Definitely didn't match any representation of the Betsy Ross flag that I have seen. My first thought it that it was an historic Texas flag, but did not match any Texas flag I could find.

Thank You

Like this, maybe?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Septic Knothead posted:

Ok someone asked for a lovely mspaint. Can. Do.

The number of stars is approximate.

Thanks for any help in ID

?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It looks like it's just the colonial flag as a banner and doesn't have its own history as a flag.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Quorum posted:

Or, an eagle t-posing sable.

T-pose to assert imperium

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ligma Baal

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Strong Bioshock vibes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Malleus Membrorum

Mallus phallus

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

That's hideous, I love it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a Nordic cross!!

More like bored-ic cross.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

triphtphpthphthphthongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Waddle Bourgeoidee posted:

Good point. Would you attribute this European desire for heraldry on flags (instead of writing) to the widespread adoption of the star and crescent as a symbol of Islam in the contemporary Western world? Of course, the Ottoman Empire's annexation of North Africa and the Middle East had something to do with it. However, that doesn't account for countries like Turkmenistan or Uzbekistan, which were never under Ottoman rule and don't have strong ties to Istanbul (where the star and crescent originated). It just seems the popularity of this symbol outside of the Balkans and Middle East occurred as an attempt to whitewash Islam and portray it in an easily digestible way for Westerners that could not be achieved through the Shahada or (as you cited) the seal of Muhammad.

It's because the Ottoman Sultan was also the Caliph of Sunni Islam.