Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Do you know the one about the Dark Railtracer? Let's Play Metro 2033 Redux

Привет, товарищи! Welcome to

Metro 2033 Redux is the remake of the prequel to 2013' s Metro: Last Light. Well, kinda. Metro 2033 came out in 2010 and people were quick to note the game had an amazing atmosphere and fantastic worldbuilding, which set it apart from other games. While it was well received, it had some issues which turned a lot of people off the game. I mentioned some of these issues during my Last Light LP:

quote:

To be quite honest, I didn't like Metro 2033 when I first played it. It had a great premise and a fantastic, moody setting, but the enemies were bullet spongy as hell and came in swarms, ammo was scarce and you were likely to end up using your Military-grade ammo (the game's currency) just to shoot monsters, which ended up screwing you in the long run. There was a stealth mechanic in place that helped you get through a lot of the human-populated levels, but since the game never told you you could just stealth sections you ended up fighting your way out, which exacerbated the ammo issue.

In spite of this, the game did well enough that a sequel came out in 2013: Metro Last Light. Last Light delivered much better gameplay while still delivering the atmosphere and 'feeling' that made 2033 so unique, and while some people complained the game was too easy compared to 2033 (more on that later), it did well enough that 4A Games decided to update 2033 and Last Light to a slightly improved version of Last Light's engine, and so the Redux versions came to be.

2033 made the most of the engine change, while the differences between LL and LL:Redux are minimal at best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV3xP8-4BRs

We're playing on Survival Mode since is closer to how OG 2033 played, meaning we're squishy and ammo/supplies are way scarcer compared to Spartan Mode, which is what Last Light was balanced around.

We'll be going for the game's canon ending. If you don't know what that means, don't google it and just enjoy the ride. If you've played LL or seen my LP of it, you probably know what this means. I may show off the differences between both paths but I don't want to make promises at this point.

Along the way we'll be getting all journal pages and safe boxes and I'll try to show off the game as best I can, so we'll be doing a fair bit of exploring and taking our time during the civilian sections to show off conversations and interesting stuff. I sometimes put some outtakes/extra bits at the end of the videos, so stick around.

Update Schedule?
I'll try and update once a week, probably on Fridays. I'm aiming at 20-30 min updates, so depending on length a single update may have more than one level.

Jesus H. Christ you still suck at FPS.
Still not a question. Still true. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh hey you missed X and also you didn't mention that Y happens when you Z
Let's get this out of the way: I'll miss stuff. Fell free to point it out, just don't be a dick about it.

Spoilers?
Let's keep it spoiler free. I know that some of you may come from my Last Light LP and I'd rather not start discussing things before they happen.

Wait a second... didn't you start this already!?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Joking aside... yeah, this is my second attempt at this. I have all the footage already recorded so it should be smooth sailing all the way to the end this time. You may remember I had a few more updates published in the old thread; it's been long enough since then that I thought starting over was worth it so if you're coming from the old thread, sorry, bear with me for a couple of updates.

Also do me a favour and watch the intro video till the end, I put a lot of work on that one. :v:

Alright, enough intro. Grab a drink, dim the lights and put your headphones on, we're going back to the metro.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

No journal entries for this update.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 21, 2020

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Welcome to the Metro.

I've gushed about this game before in other social circles, but honestly, what convinced me to get the original 2033 was Pannycakes' LP back in 2009.

Pretty much every aspect of this game is enmeshed tightly with the rest, ensuring that its atmosphere and tone stay consistent throughout; there's very few games that can do that well, and even less that have done it in the post-apocalypse.

And having seen behind the curtain, good lord, does Edmond suck at shooters.

This'll be fun.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Sel Nar posted:

Welcome to the Metro.

I've gushed about this game before in other social circles, but honestly, what convinced me to get the original 2033 was Pannycakes' LP back in 2009.

Haha, same. Glad I snagged it before it was taken from the store in favor of the Redux version. (both are great though)

I was actually recently playing through the series slowly to gear up for my first playthrough of Exodus, so I'm looking forward to seeing your run of it of it, ED.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Wait a second... didn't you start this already!?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

This explains the massive feeling of deja-vu I was having.

Anyway, I played 2033 way back when and I'm excited to watch the LP!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sel Nar posted:

And having seen behind the curtain, good lord, does Edmond suck at shooters.
Can't wait to get to Dry for some of that bullet dodge action.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I was actually recently playing through the series slowly to gear up for my first playthrough of Exodus, so I'm looking forward to seeing your run of it of it, ED.

HardDiskD posted:

Anyway, I played 2033 way back when and I'm excited to watch the LP!

Looking forward to disappointing y'all. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I really picked a fantastic time to restart this, eh?

Considering the ongoing shitshow and uncertain future of the forums, I'll be speeding up the updates. I have a few more already ready to roll out and the rest of the LP has already been recorded, if not edited and subtitled, but other than Frontline which is going to get some heavy editing (if you've seen my LL LP you probably see where this is going), the rest are pretty much "slap extras at the end of video", so they shouldn't take overtly long.

Having said all that...

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Where we catch a ride.

Journal entries for this update:

Some stray observations for this update:

Sorry about the conversations overlapping once I hit the market area; a lot of them share triggers and that was pretty much the best take I could get (you can see me stutterstep when approaching the lady who's cleaning but it just starts the guy upstairs as well :( )

I also have no idea what the hell happened to the sound when I'm overheating the Bastard; the reload sound desyncs a bit but it's just... that particular clip? The rest is ok and it's not a recording issue, so it looks like the game was being weird. :shrug:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: Update time! :siren:

Two short ones this time. You could say this is the end of the tutorial/introduction areas, and we'll be tackling our first 'proper' level next update.

That's all I had in the previous thread, so it's all new content from here! So, you know, post something so it's not just my updates back to back :<

Where we trip balls.

:nws: Warning for Riga: Scantly-clad Lady of the night. Not terrible and not on-screen for long, but I'd rather give a heads up just in case.

Where we meet a trustworthy companion.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 26, 2020

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The kids voices do not belong to kids

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I suppose it's one way to avoid paying for child actors

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Miz Kriss posted:

I suppose it's one way to avoid paying for child actors

There's some fuckery going on with the voice actors in the series. As far as I understand it, they redid the voice acting for 2033 Redux with LL's cast to keep it consistent (save for one exception), but when they did that they also revoiced the kids with adult actors, which... yeah. If you think this is bad so far, Market is going to give you an aneurysm, not to mention a latter level (where I'll be posting a comparison with the Russian kid's acting, because holy crap).

Oddly enough they left Miller's original voice as it was (not sure if it's the same voice lines or the same voice actor re-doing the lines), which if you played LL or watched the LP before heading here, you may recognize as Pavel's. Miller's model is also closer to OG 2033's than LLs 'retrofits' like Artyom himself, who also got a voice makeover.

Dunno, it's weirdly hard to get a list of who played who for 2033 Redux, the credits themselves just have a "Voice Talent" section without noting characters, and imdb only has an entry for OG 2033, and LL just says "voices".

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh poo poo is that :siren: NEW CONTENT TIME :siren:

Alright, so, after a short break cough and one new thread later, we're getting to the new updates.

Where we question our decisions.

Stray comments for this video: You'll notice I don't cover every square inch of the level and I'll be sticking to that in some future updates as well, because some levels in the game are big, and a lot of nook and crannies only have a couple bullets or maybe a throwable/medkit, and unless it's somehow interesting I'd rather not have you sitting through a minute of me backtracking through a tunnel just to show off another corpse in a corner with 2MGR, my commentary is not that interesting. :v:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I totally forgot stealth killing was a thing :v:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

You're choosing to kill in stealth when it's possible to just bonk folks on the head or nose - is a particular reason to this? Is it required to provoke comments about the "Dark Railtracer"?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Miz Kriss posted:

I totally forgot stealth killing was a thing :v:

LashLightning posted:

You're choosing to kill in stealth when it's possible to just bonk folks on the head or nose - is a particular reason to this? Is it required to provoke comments about the "Dark Railtracer"?

Nah, not really. Mostly a "might as well" since I won't be going out of my way to avoid killing people: if I need to clear a room to get through an area, I'll be knifing/shooting it out and not sneakypunching like I did for LL. Seemed appropriate for the 'canon' run I'm doing and mixes it up with the other LP.

Any morale points from 100% sneak wouldn't still tide us over to the other ending since I'll be losing morale points left and right. :v:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

From your "one punch man" run in LL and my friend going out of his way to avoid killing people in Exodus, I had to pause and go "oh right, you can just knife them..."

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we fear for the future of mankind.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh hey. Missed out on the first few videos.

2 quick notes of moderate interest:

In the book, Hunter explicitly heads out to blow up the tunnels needed to flood the Dark Ones lair. His plan is a lot more vague in the game, regardless of which language you're playing with.

The bandit camp in the original Metro2033 had a Volt Driver just laying around. That's an endgame weapon, selling which would set up Artyom with enough bullets for the rest of the game.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I love the way the helmets just pop off the mannequins' heads when you shoot them

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Miz Kriss posted:

I love the way the helmets just pop off the mannequins' heads when you shoot them

Oh, you'll see the same thing happens with humans quite soon :v: well in like 3 more updates

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we go home.

Stray comments for this update: Oooooh boy. This is the update that broke me during my first attempt to LP this. It's a long level; like Lost Tunnel it was originally several levels in OG 2033 (2 in this case) that got made into a single one for Redux.

I have a (bad) habit of either recording levels in a single take or trying to find "stitch points" where I can splice in two different takes without my audience noticing the cut. I commented on this during my LL LP and you can see some examples there, I usually hide cuts during canned animations, like Artyom opening a door or throwing a lever since they line up frame-by-frame. You can spot those splices if you keep an eye on Artyom's watch; it reflects local time so you can watch the time jump 3 hours during some of those.

This is... easier said than done. Missing a shot/knife throw halfway through a stealth run of a level means that if I don't have a stitch point I need to redo the entire level, and for a level this size/length it means I have to replay it a bunch and map out the run in advance to make sure I know where each of the journal entries, safes and keys are as well as any neat stuff I want to show off, then figure out how to show all of that off without making the video 2 hours because I keep running around checking every single corner for a single shotgun shell because I feel that'd be boring, but at the same time preemptively giving myself time to talk about what I want to bring up once I start working on the subs.

Well, every single thing went wrong when trying to record this level. I had something like 3 hours of unusable footage because I kept dropping the ball; I'd either get grabbed by the Demon, fall into the water, take a wrong turn, eat poo poo during the ambush at the end or just outright forget to pick up that bloody journal page in the spooky building and I had a bunch of stuff going on in my life that I just kinda... gave up. So yeah, sorry about that. :<

Anyway, finally decided to take another stab at it, managed to record something that while not 100% happy with, I think it'll do. Still didn't get it on the first try nor a single take, mind. I have like 5 aborted runs floating around my HDD, see if you can spot the splice(s).

Wow, that got a bit E/N didn't it. :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 17, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I was quite sure you don't have to sneak past or fight the demon to get to a Hellsing (hidden in one of the upper rooms) but that may be the original version.

The novel goes more in-depth about the Metro only surviving thanks to supplies (medicine, vitamins) the stalkers bring in.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

There's a bunch of stuff at the end of this one, so stick around.

Where we part ways.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 24, 2020

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I guess Antoym didn't know Bourbon long enough for him to try to bilk him, or Bourbon was one of those rare types who you could indeed trust with your life but not with a 1000-ruble note. There are certainly worse people to hang out with in the Metro.

Plus, you get a positive karma point for hitting that hookah twice? I guess the devs are pretty pro-:2bong:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The tune you loved so much is called "Moscow Nights" (Russian: Подмосковные вечера, Podmoskovnie vechera)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-yFy3Lqezo

"Evenings in the Moscow suburbs" or literally "Evenings under Moscow".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 25, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LashLightning posted:

I guess Antoym didn't know Bourbon long enough for him to try to bilk him, or Bourbon was one of those rare types who you could indeed trust with your life but not with a 1000-ruble note. There are certainly worse people to hang out with in the Metro.

Plus, you get a positive karma point for hitting that hookah twice? I guess the devs are pretty pro-:2bong:

Yeah, Bourbon's exit is... surprising but, as Khan mentions, not entirely unexpected. He sounds way dodgy when you first met him, but after that he pretty much does right by Artyom even though every other npc is out there throwing up red flags.

Xander77 posted:

The tune you loved so much is called "Moscow Nights" (Russian: Подмосковные вечера, Podmoskovnie vechera)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-yFy3Lqezo

"Evenings in the Moscow suburbs" or literally "Evenings under Moscow".

Well I didn't love it before I had to listen to it for like 2 hours straight. :colbert:

There are 4 updates that took me forever to record: Dead City, Dry, Frontline and Outpost. I'll be whining about them in turn, don't worry, but Dry was weird because... it's a really short and easy level, but I just kept getting those misses I put at the end and having to restart. Also the molotov was an honest screwup, you can see me standing there for a second before deciding to just roll with it for the extras. :v:

My pet theory at the moment is that once enemies go into 'alert' mode, they just get some ridiculous dodge the first time you try and shoot them from the front even if they haven't spotted you. It happens here and a couple times in Frontline, I think I still have some footage of that.

Or, you know...

Edmond Dantes posted:

Jesus H. Christ you still suck at FPS.
Still not a question. Still true. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

There's a different FPS game that I've been playing recently - I can't remember the name - but the enemies also rapidly jump to the side to avoid being shot when I've set up something of an ambush, totally pro-gamer©-style.

Clearly the game-devs are afraid of our astounding skills at video games and cheat. :colbert:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where things get Weird.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 1, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

The Russian version of the station name is "Turgenevskaya". Same as (the upcoming) "Armory" - the actual station title probably doesn't mean much to an English speaking audience, so a blunt "this station is all about [X]" title is used instead.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I really wish Artyom was voiced in general, and this level really highlights how awkward a silent protagonist can make the level.

Also Weird Metro is my jam and I love how batshit it is. We bombed ourselves so hard it killed heaven and hell!

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 31, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we lend a hand.

Short one this time; I would have posted it alongside Armory but I want to have a bit more time to work on Frontline so I'll be posting that one next week.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we become stowaways.

There's a slight chance next update may be a bit late. It may not, but just a heads up.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we go to war.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 22, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
You know what, I spent way too long on this for it to go unnoticed just because I got cute with how I linked it.

Bonus Video:

Where a legend is born.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 22, 2020

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Good song choice for installing skylights. :unsmigghh: Nice editing too.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

In the original, Andrew's room has a free Azbats just lying around.

Edmond Dantes posted:

The political officer (?) at the start of the level is imitating Lenin's speech patterns \ defect for some reason, even in English.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

In the original, Andrew's room has a free Azbats just lying around.
We'll get to play with of those a bit further down the line.

queserasera posted:

Good song choice for installing skylights. :unsmigghh: Nice editing too.
:D

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we ponder control schemes.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where the ride continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alas, the curse of a protagonist!