Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Regardless of which version of Metro 2033 you're playing, the English translation omits what it is exactly that Pavel heard about Depot (that it's a legendary train graveyard). Don't remember going back in Last Light (there's a train depot there, but I don't think it's the same).

The Metro games have a weapon (or rather, a separate melee attack) that you can use when you don't have time to reload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Regardless of which version of Metro 2033 you're playing, the English translation omits what it is exactly that Pavel heard about Depot (that it's a legendary train graveyard). Don't remember going back in Last Light (there's a train depot there, but I don't think it's the same).

I wasn't sure if it was the same one, but Pavel calling it "The" Depot, the mission in both games starting roughly south of Polis (and passing through the Depot it before heading there) and the wiki saying it's the same place tided me over.

Xander77 posted:

The Metro games have a weapon (or rather, a separate melee attack) that you can use when you don't have time to reload.
I tend to swap, went to the VSV for that section; melee is fine (ish) but if it doesn't kill whatever is eating your face you're still hosed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Are you guys ready for :siren: VOICE ACTING :siren:

Where we make a difference.

Journal entries for this update:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

At 3:00 someone tries to sing this song. It's basically about death before surrender.

Except the singer doesn't speak Russian and is terrible at trying to pronounce the words phonetically. No idea why they didn't just keep the Russian version. Not like having a Russian person sing a Russian song in Russian would have been exceptionally noticeable or immersion breaking.

As a Sasha, I feel personally attacked by the episode.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The voice acting certainly was a choice

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

At 3:00 someone tries to sing this song. It's basically about death before surrender.

Except the singer doesn't speak Russian and is terrible at trying to pronounce the words phonetically. No idea why they didn't just keep the Russian version. Not like having a Russian person sing a Russian song in Russian would have been exceptionally noticeable or immersion breaking.

Miz Kriss posted:

The voice acting certainly was a choice
Would have loved to be able to play the games in Russian, but the lack of subtitles for a lot of NPC chatter is kind of a downer and defeats the purpose of trying to show the game off.

Xander77 posted:

As a Sasha, I feel personally attacked by the episode.
Oh? Oh. Hah, hadn't made that connection.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Where we put a roof over our heads.

Stray thoughts: Well, this one is probably the sloppiest overall video (so far) in the Metro series, from a gameplay point. You'll see why at the end, but I wasn't exaggerating when I said I recorded this level ~17 times (turns out it was more):

Demon kept grabbing me while indoors, soldiers aggro'd through walls/roofs/floors because... !?!?. That bit waiting for the soldier behind the bookcase is entirely too long but I just didn't notice while recording, and I also noticed I sort of rushed some parts a bit because by that point I was playing on autopilot since I had done it so many blood times already. Being entirely honest, I thought of going back in to re-record but I didn't want to fall in the rabbit hole of trying to get a perfect take and then having to edit/sub everything again, I really don't think it would have been worth it. So, apologies, and hope y'all understand. :shobon:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 18, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:siren: I hosed up :siren:

Salted Grump just let me know that the volume is super low on the video; looks like I hosed something up with my audio gain when I ducked the volume for the end montage, and it ducked everything.

Already re-encoding and I'll be uploading it again shortly, but I'll be taking it down in the meantime. Sorry everyone, especially if you've already jumped in (first time a video of mine gets 10 views in the same day I post it! :cry: )

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Right, we're back up. Sorry about that! :shobon:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not sure the last part of the level is stealthable at all. For evidence I present:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNIcTJTw-UI

The only stealth video I managed to find after nearly 40 seconds of searching.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I look forward to your updates. Like the music montage--hey, I get that reference!--and the very end I nearly died laughing. Such a great LP.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

queserasera posted:

I look forward to your updates. Like the music montage--hey, I get that reference!--and the very end I nearly died laughing. Such a great LP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N37jpdRIY2c&t=167s

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

I'm not sure the last part of the level is stealthable at all. For evidence I present:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNIcTJTw-UI

The only stealth video I managed to find after nearly 40 seconds of searching.
I could have sworn I pulled it off during my test run, but if I did I deleted the footage when I culled my source files, so it may have just been me getting lucky with the demon distraction at the end. Or misremembering. :v:

queserasera posted:

Aw, thank you. :3: It means a lot; most this LP has felt like posting into the void to be honest, so it's nice to know someone's enjoying it. :D

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I often forget to post but I enjoy this LP a lot!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I am also enjoying this a lot! I'd probably not play this myself because I know that as soon as the stealth jig is up, I'd be hosed in this game because I'd fire all my bullets trying to shoot people and missing. :)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't post much because I feel there's not much to discuss. I do watch all the videos though.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks everyone. :glomp:

Where we get some rest.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, I don't post very often, but I really don't have any thing more to say about this game. But I was a big fan of your Last Light LP, and you're doing as good a job here. :)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh poo poo he's onto us

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Just as near-silent protagonist Issac Clarke's true feelings of the situation he faces in the first Dead Space game are revealed through the extended Mission Objectives and are entirely missable if you just keep following the compass, there's a side to Antoym if you read his notes and don't just treat them as habitable collectables.

He's a very unhappy man, despite having nearly 1000(?) military grade rounds and having removed a number of Nazis from the face of the Earth. Who wouldn't want to have a thousand bucks and shoot some loving Nazis?!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah, I don't post very often, but I really don't have any thing more to say about this game. But I was a big fan of your Last Light LP, and you're doing as good a job here. :)
:D

HardDiskD posted:

Oh poo poo he's onto us
:tinfoil:

LashLightning posted:

Just as near-silent protagonist Issac Clarke's true feelings of the situation he faces in the first Dead Space game are revealed through the extended Mission Objectives and are entirely missable if you just keep following the compass, there's a side to Antoym if you read his notes and don't just treat them as habitable collectables.

He's a very unhappy man, despite having nearly 1000(?) military grade rounds and having removed a number of Nazis from the face of the Earth. Who wouldn't want to have a thousand bucks and shoot some loving Nazis?!
Yeah, the notes are actually quite good, they add some nice bits of worldbuilding.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we have THINGS to say.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we go to The Library

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Maybe its because I watch at 2x speed, but air filters seem like they don't last too long before replacing them

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Maybe its because I watch at 2x speed, but air filters seem like they don't last too long before replacing them
The prompt actually appears a fair bit before you have to swap (or Artyom auto-swaps for you)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
So, like...What were all of these creatures before Armageddon? Were the demons bats? And what are those weird tentacles hanging from the ceiling??

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Polaron posted:

So, like...What were all of these creatures before Armageddon? Were the demons bats? And what are those weird tentacles hanging from the ceiling??

In no particular order and after a quick trawl through the metro Wiki to double-check my sources, here goes.

Nosalis are derived from moles, being underground-dwelling, having issues with light sensitivity, and being omnivorous.

Watchers, or Huntsmen, are formerly canine-based, best shown with their pack mentality; they also show habits of meerkats with the sentries and alarm howls (though meerkats run away, instead of attacking)

Lurkers are essentially a cousin species to the Nosalis, with a common ancestry of small burrowing mammals.

Demons are actually evolved from Tigers, of which the Moscow Zoo had several (dozen); this is best noticed when they roar or howl, which is strongly reminiscent of a large cat.

We haven't got a good look at Librarians yet, but they're humanoid and intelligent. I'll let you make your own conclusions there once you see them.

As for the tentacles, those are considered to be carnivorous vines, and are listed as 'Liana' in the wiki and in the book's descriptions.

There's a few more critters out there, but in general, the evolution of them can be guessed reasonably well with very few exceptions.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we stab doors.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

In the original, the Librarians were a lot more weak. The Hellsing in particular outright wrecked their day. You probably couldn't hoard \ recover enough ammo to kill every single one, but it was fairly close.

In the novel, the Librarians are cloaked figures (IIRC?) who can talk, or at least emulate human speech they heard recently. The while library section is a fairly obvious literary \ philosophical allusion, rather than just the spot where info about D-6 is found.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Xander77 posted:

In the original, the Librarians were a lot more weak. The Hellsing in particular outright wrecked their day. You probably couldn't hoard \ recover enough ammo to kill every single one, but it was fairly close.

In the novel, the Librarians are cloaked figures (IIRC?) who can talk, or at least emulate human speech they heard recently. The while library section is a fairly obvious literary \ philosophical allusion, rather than just the spot where info about D-6 is found.

God, could you imagine if they did talk in the game? I'm imaging they could impersonate people Artyom knows in order to set traps/catch the player off guard. I'm already terrified of the turrets in Portal :gonk:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Due to the lockdown, anomalies are returning to the surface in Moscow. Nature is healing.

https://i.imgur.com/UuIEzeh.mp4

Xander77 posted:

I basically won that "fight" because I managed to throw 2 stickies at him before he even reacted, but when I got cheeky with one at close range during the test run I got destroyed. They can take you from full to dead in like 2-3 swipes. You can fight them, but... there's no actual reason to aside from panic-blasting one in the face because it took a step towards you.

I do go into a bit more detail regarding the book version in next update.

Miz Kriss posted:

God, could you imagine if they did talk in the game? I'm imaging they could impersonate people Artyom knows in order to set traps/catch the player off guard. I'm already terrified of the turrets in Portal :gonk:
:stare:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we check out a book.

Alright, a couple of things:

If you want to check out the DLC I kept yapping about during the Library levels, here's my video on it from the Last Light LP. It's not connected with LL's main plot so it's safe to watch if you haven't played the game yet, and I reckon it's probably worth a watch while the original Library is fresh in your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrqG31gbYA4

Also, we're reaching the final stretch of the LP; next two updates will be shortish and I really should just post both at the same time but the last 3 are in the 20-25 min mark and those take a while to sub, so posting them separately will give me more time to work on the last 3 videos and help me get those out on schedule. I may have to take a bit more time between updates on those 3, but I'll do my best so that it doesn't come to that.

That's about it for now. Enjoy!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where we enjoy the calm before the storm.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Where things heat up.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That morality point looks like complete bullshit. It doesn't even look like there's a floor there.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

HardDiskD posted:

That morality point looks like complete bullshit. It doesn't even look like there's a floor there.

By this point the game really starts going hard on the "yo maybe violence is not the answer here", but you're also pretty much locked in the Ranger ending if you haven't been collecting morality, and missing out on a point because you took a second to figure out what the gently caress is 100% bullshit.

This is from my first time through the level, where I wanted to look around a bit before I started walking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9d627c474Y

I can totally see someone playing this for the first time just assuming that's the entire sequence, to be honest. It gives you 6-7 seconds before pulling you out, and since you need to reach certain points for the transitions it's actually even less time to start moving.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 7, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
товарищи! There won't be an update today after all, work these past two weeks has been murder and I'm still only halfway done with the subs.

I may be able to have it up by Monday if they leave me alone during the weekend, but I don't want to make promises at this point. No, I'm not dropping the LP again shut up. For now assume the remaining 3 videos will go up as I'm done with them rather than our regular Friday schedules.

Thanks for understanding, have a good one!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

looking forward to it, but take all the time you need :buddy:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

biosterous posted:

looking forward to it, but take all the time you need :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back, and it's

/edit: TRIGGER WARNING IF YOU HATE CREEPY CRAWLIES: Giant, gently caress-off spider-scorpion hybrids

Where things heat up.

Still the same deal as before, I'll get the remaining 2 (!) episodes out when I'm done with them so it most likely won't be on Friday.