Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey, it's Mayveena from the Management Megathread. Somehow I missed this thread! I have moved away somewhat from 4X games and more into base building games, and I was thinking about why. I've been playing video games since the TRS 80 so been through a lot of changes in the industry. One of the biggest issues to me in 4X gaming is that Civilization takes up nearly all of the oxygen in the space, leaving not much room for innovation. For example, Star Ruler 2 (made by Goons!!) just couldn't get any traction even though it was well designed and really interesting. But it wasn't really a 'civ' game, so eventually they gave it away for free. For me personally, I'm tired of beating up Africans (yes I know it's everyone but that whole schtick has gotten way old for me) and want something fresh. I'm looking at Shadow Empires. Thing is I'm old now, and janky UI's are an issue for me. Also I'm hard of hearing, and I just don't understand a good bit of DasTactic or even Grey Hunter. Anyone have a video with good communication that an American can understand? Again no prejudice whatsoever is meant but I am hard of hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Warlock I fell in love with, are there any 4xs similar to that? I guess in simplicity

Gog.com has Warlords III, it's kinda old but still good, and simple.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Snail Information posted:

Do you mean like city builder games? Like caesar3? 4x games and city builders scratch the same itch for me, building an empire that needs a balance of resources isnt super far from building the pottery chain in c3

Management games (vs RTS style base building games) don't have the Xterminate part and I'm not sure that I miss it that much? On the other hand, I've had a lot of fun with Distant Worlds!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Star Ruler is goon made.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Who made the wiki?

Don't know.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Let's have a debate: What 4X strategy had the best/most enjoyable AI opponents?

No question in my mind :) Alpha Centuari

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

The game isn't even out of Early Access yet, I somehow doubt we're going to get any news on a Steam release before its actual release date, whenever that is.

Satisfactory is still in Early Access and came to Steam from Epic Games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

If you enjoy the trading/connecting of Slipways but want more of a 4x game, check out Star Ruler 2 - you also level up your colonies by connecting trade networks between them, but you can also send warships to explode your rivals. There also a very interesting card-based diplomacy system which I never fully got the hang of, but it seems cool.

It's also open source now and the devs are goons. Great game that didn't catch on, possibly because it was a little too complex. Slipways demonstrates what they were doing in SR2 in a way that's accessible.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah I think they are committed to Epic forever as far as I can remember.

I'm looking forward to getting more into it sometime this summer.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Any disagreements here? https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-strategy-games/

I'm phone posting, otherwise I'd list them as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

So when the list said best strategy games they just meant all strategy games right because it seems like they just listed all strategy games

I take it you've never run the Strategy filter on Steam? 😐

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Clarste posted:

I will say that MOO2 was the only game in history where I had fun with the ship designer.

Alpha Centuari is the best. Fight me :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Does High Fleet have much ship design? I like designing ships if I can figure out what to design that works.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Here's a question. Is there a 4X out there with an AI that can pose a challenge without cheating?

AI Wars/AI Wars 2 doesn't cheat and will kick your rear end eventually. Note that the game is not like a typical 4x with even sides, the AI start is very different from the player start. I enjoyed AI Wars and now enjoy AI Wars 2.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Compared to Distant Worlds, Stellaris is just so slow. I keep buying the DLC's, hoping somehow that one of them will click with me and I'll like Stellaris, but it hasn't worked so far. Whereas in Distant Worlds, I feel like the world is more alive and I understand what goals I have from the jump. And reaching those goals can be a challenge instead of a slog. I bought the original Distant Worlds, and then the next iteration, and then the final iteration and never felt like I wasted money, even though I bought the same game three times.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anyone try this?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113030/Stellar_Warfare/

Stellar Warfare.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Comparing Steam plays of DW1 vs Stellaris is meaningless. How much $$ has Paradox put into marketing their game vs how much marketing $$ Matrix Games put into marketing DW1 is not even something for discussion as Matrix hasn't marketed DW1 and Paradox has been aggressive about marketing all of their games. Lots of playthroughs, free keys to major streamers, etc.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

I did put a big disclaimer there, but sure I didn't specifically mention marketing budgets. Even so, the difference between 10-20k regular players and 33 is... it's pretty large. I don't think you can put it all down to marketing. If you think DW would have an equal or greater number of players if it had had an equal amount of marketing, well ok, I cannot prove that one way or the other although personally I would doubt it. If you don't, then my point about relative popularity stands.

Again, I'm not trying to prove DW is terrible or that people are wrong to prefer it. I'm looking forward to playing DW2 myself. I was just disagreeing with Archonex saying Stellaris messed up by not being more like DW.

If players don't know about a game, they aren't going to play it. The only way people know about DW1 is by word of mouth. Given the huge number of games one can play where there's active marketing going on, it's totally expected that few would be playing DW1. Players nowadays are looking for videos and reviews on popular review sites. DW1 has no reviews on popular review sites (or at least not recently), while every time a new DLC drops for Stellaris, new reviews and videos pop up. Proving it is easy. Use Google and YT search for each of those games.

Frankly Stellaris reminds me of what in board games we'd call fiddliness. All these bullshit details. Why do I have to care about all this poo poo? I come from MOO and Alpha Cenatauri and Civ 1-6. Get to where you want to go and let the player play the game, not care about minutia.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 16, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Zurai posted:

Ironically, marketing relatively niche games (IE ones where TV commercials aren't going to do much for you, so not Madden or Battlefield, etc) has got to be cheaper and easier than ever. It really just comes down to giving a handful of popular streamers/youtubers like Quill18, etc, a free key and asking them to play the game for an hour or two and record it. You're giving up a few hundred dollars max, and even then you can't count them as lost sales because who knows whether they'd ever buy the game on their own. In return, you're getting your game out there in front of your core audience with someone they like playing and probably talking up the game. Even an extremely minimal conversion rate is going to be a net positive.

Isn't Matrix the company that was famous for refusing to ever put games on sale? IIRC they used to be the publisher for Illwinter's games (Dominions, etc) and that was one of the reasons Illwinter split from them. They seem allergic to anything approaching marketing.

DW1 now goes on sale when Steam has sales, so clearly they've moved on from that position, but yes, the original position was not to put the game on sale. Hopefully when DW2 releases, they will give Quill a key and pay him to do a video.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1606340/Conquest_of_Elysium_5/

Conquest of Elysium 5 releases today. If anyone plays it, please post impressions.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Seems extremely overwhelming.

It is a streamlined (believe it or not) version of Dominions 5 https://store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/ which is really a multi player turn based game that has a pretty decent following.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 17, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thoughts on Humankind? Getting ready to do a long play through. I'll post with impressions later today.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Turns out there's a Humankind thread here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896939

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

I just didn't like the beta as much as Civ 6 in any way

The UI is certainly better but it'll be a bit before I get a real feel for the differences.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

How much different is it than Conquest of Elysium if you've played that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Unbeatable AI coming in Age of Empires 4

Glad they'll let those who want to like me, beat the crap out of the AI :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So it was on sale for a fiver so I got Distant Worlds Universe. But it wont launch. like I get the little splash screen popup thing and then nada. I know my laptop while not the best in the world has even more than the recommended specs, let alone required.
What gives?

Graphic drivers updated and/or are you using a dedicated graphics card?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Distant Worlds has always been "that one 4X game that's stupid expensive for no reason" but I never actually heard anything else about it.
Now that it's 90% off I'm thinking of maybe taking a look at it. Is it any good? What does it play like?

It's my favorite 4x (noting I like space games that aren't Stellaris). If it seems daunting, let the AI do everything at first and then take over as you feel comfortable.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anno posted:

Is there a thread for DW or going to be one for DW2? I’m watching a preview LP now and can already feel my an urge to buy it even though I know I’m too dumb to ever be good at it.

Because of the automation, you don't have to be good to play. I don't know how automation works in DW2 but hopefully you can start with everything manual and then as you realize you can't quite handle a particular mechanic automate it and simply work with what you are comfortable with.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

I think this was my biggest issue with automation: not that it is bad or good, but it's hard to tell what it's doing well. And if it's doing bad poo poo, like tanking your income for automated ship building, if you're not already aware of how to play those parts of the game you're gonna be so confused as to why you're losing money.

We have an old DW thread somewhere on the board, but I think the last post was like in 2016/2017. I can't tell if it's archived or not. I re-read the entire thing a couple weeks back when I was actively playing the game, and tons of folks would have questions about "why is my income falling?" or "what are my spies doing" or "why doesn't this empire like me" or especially "how the gently caress do I used the ship/station builder?" And those are decent enough to automate, but you'll never actually understand how they work if you just leave automation on. There are SO many great ways to optimize builds and such, AND you can save your own designs so you don't have to keep re-designing ships when you start a new game. I loving love this game!

This is why I think it's better to go manual and then automate as you go along and understand what you are expecting from the automation. That way if the automation is worse than you would be you can turn it off.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Having played real-time 4Xs lately, it’s really hard to go back to turn based.

Agreed. As long as it's single player I prefer pausable real time myself, I can move the game along at a speed I want. Otherwise it seems like you get stuck with Civ clones.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Archonex posted:

The problem with Stellaris is literally that they're selling back stuff that should have been in the base game to begin with.

Just look at the newest expansion. It's literally a paid overhaul to the diplomacy mechanics disguised as an expansion. Espionage too is something they've only recently gotten into, being missing from release. Ditto for late game scientific exploration with ships, which is something they still haven't quite figured out yet.

It's exceptionally egregious since there's none of the life in the universe that DW has. So they should have had some sort of wow factor to begin with. Instead, you had fleet combat that was as dull as CK2's and all sorts of other issues that required extensive modding. People seem to play it for the weird meta in MP, the Star Trek mod (Which is complex and probably the best Star Trek game in the past decade or more.), and the crazy user stuff like Gigastructural Engiineering.

And to be clear, it's not a very well designed game either. There's been plenty of people that have gone into how bottlenecked the game can be at times due to bad programming and design. Just running a large galaxy can tank your speed since each civilian is calculated (Despite not really doing anything.). Of course, this means that extensive user efforts to mod the game in (Like the mods that did add civilian economies and life.) usually end up abandoned since getting there to begin with requires an overhaul of the base game itself to free up or enable the resources

I'm not sure that any 4x design that I've played goes into the nooks and crannies as well as a player dedicated to playing that game, mostly because studios don't think that player is their target market.

On the other hand, Paradox's DLC strategy is tiring and makes you feel as if you are buying an empty box when you buy the base game. They need to move away from this.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Honestly surprised DW2 didn't dump into early access. But also lmao at this being full price.

I've been holding off on it because all the signs pointed to a bad release, which I guess I'm vindicated for. My main concern was that they weren't iterating on any of the previous game's features, the new ship designer looks like an upgrade but stuff like the UI and tech tree being basically a copy-paste is just mindboggling to me.

I mean it's going to go on sale at some point. Folks who did jump in have really helped Matrix with the issues so there is that. Without them these changes may not have happened at all or may have happened on a much slower timeline.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Every year my 30+ year old son and I play an online co op game for Mother's day instead of him spending money on me. We were considering playing AI Wars 2. Anyone have any experience with with co op?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anyone in on Dune Spice Wars? Please post impressions if so😀

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

DasTactic just uploaded a video playing it, looks interesting

Well I bought it an played it for a few minutes. There is a LOT going on in this game and it's going to take some dedicated play for me to get my head around it. At the same time it certainly brings back those literally 2AM play sessions of Dune II. I loved that game so much and am so glad it's finally gotten a fresh coat of paint.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

I'm curious is it more based on the books or kinda a tie-in to the the new movie? Would like to hear your impressions as you play it.

Unfortunately I have not read the books or seen the movie (it's crazy and a long story but I can't read the books nor watch the movie). However the reviews I've read say it's based on the books more than the movie.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Azhais posted:

If it's bringing back dune II vibes it probably involves the words arrakis, spice, dune, atreides, and emperor and otherwise could be any ip

I was sort of hoping it was going to be similar to the old Dune game

Which old Dune game? Do you mean the board game, the video game Dune I, or another video game I'm not familiar with?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Agent355 posted:

Gonna play a civ game with my brother for awhile. Should it be 5 or 6?

Also how are the DLC for those games, worth your time or skippable?

If you like Civ and want to play with more cultures then the DLC is certainly worth it. However if they aren't currently on sale I wouldn't rush. When Civ 6 first released, way more people were still playing 5 than 6, but after a couple of years, Civ 6 finally overtook Civ 5 in playtime and while Civ 5 is still a top 100 played game on Steam, 6 is significantly more popular. I'm a card carrying cult of the new person so my opinion shouldn't be considered :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Clarste posted:

The problem is that the majority of 4x players are casual players who just want to built their cities in peace until they decide to go to war for fun. People looking for a challenge are a minority, and dev time is budgeted accordingly.

Yes. I remember long time ago I went to a conference for devs and they said it's very easy to kill or nearly kill the player but most players don't want that. They want to turtle or rush and have that work.