Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fantasy 4X desperately needs MASTER OF MAGIC :hist101: (Steam GOG)

The game is a bit like Civilization but with wizards in, so you get to cast spells, summon demons and monsters and unicorns, craft magical weapons for your heroes, etc. Master of Orion 2 copied some mechanics (like the heroes and how individual colonies/towns are improved) from MoM, and a lot of more modern fantasy 4Xes try to ape MoM with varying levels of success. I personally have sunk some hours into Warlock - Master of the Arcane (steam).

Master of Magic is a ridiculously broken / unbalanced game even with the latest official patch, but there's a somewhat active modding community still around! I've not tried them out that much, so if someone more informed on those comes around, please share your wisdom :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

Master of Orion. I've always found it to be better than MoO2 for the simple reason that when you unlock new industry tech, you don't have to gently caress around with a buildings screen - you just up industrial spending and your governors build the industry. The UI in MoO is ancient, and honestly a modern take on MoO where the economy was dead simple would be fantastic.

There's a modern remake of MoO 1 in the works (public beta) with an updated UI available, if anyone is into that sort of thing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The previously mentioned fantasy 4X Warlock 2 is on sale for -75% on Steam.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

Hot take? Jesus, is that a minority opinion? I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they wanted to design units. I assume there are some grognards out there who are excited to manually retrofit all their units from bronze to iron on turn 40 of every game, but surely they're a negligible portion of the target audience.

I would say it really depends on what happens in the rest of the game, as it were. Already mentioned was Master of Orion 2, and in that specific game I do like designing ships, but here's the thing: Until you're already steamrolling over everything, you tend to get just a handful of ships to use, so it's more like making 'heroes' or RPG characters even. But in games like SMAC/SMAX or the new MoO, for example, I just ignore the unit design thing and use the default designs the game vomits at you. New MoO is even nice about this in that you can just completely abstract away the ship combat bits, and it's just 'number go up'. Depending on what you like, this can be a pro or a con :v: And then there's absolute game mechanic disasters like the ship design in the original Master of Orion, that entire thing is just infuriating.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Relax Or DIE posted:

possibly unpopular opinion: 4X in general should have the 'board' be more of a player and/or should be more willing to jostle the player's house of cards with events outside of their control. it's likely a tough balance to strike, you don't want a player chugging along just fine to have their empire drop into a hole suddenly, but at least in my experience games are a bit too afraid to have the player(s) forced to react to something that isn't a war declaration. a good example of this might be the grand menances from Sword of the Stars.

Since I'm a MoO fan, I'll keep tootin' that horn I suppose :v: Master of Orion does this a little bit, there are random events, some of which you can mitigate and others not. They strike at the player's colonies either outright killing population and buildings, or just making a planet permanently crappier. A more extreme version (I guess) would be the Antaran mechanic, where a super-powerful fleet shows up and more or less destroys your fleet and/or a planet until fairly late in the game. These are decent-ish mechanics I suppose, but it does piss me right off if I get some kind of planetary disaster early in the game, on a new/low-population colony, that I can't fix, and the colony just randomly dies because gently caress me, that's why. The Antarans are supposed to pick on the top dog of the game board, so that might be more 'balanced' in that sense.

I guess it's the 'barbarian' mechanic turned up to 11, but in SMAC the Planet definitely can become your active enemy, and that I do find a more compelling mechanic.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Relax Or DIE posted:

on of the greatest secrets to enjoying 4x is knowing when to quit, yeah. Which 4xes remain engaging all the way to the end? I can't think of any outside of stuff where you can mess around being totally busted for fun, like MoO2 or MoM or something.

The various "tech win" conditions seem to be made for this, you have an "I win!"-button without having to clear the entire god drat map. Still, the tedium of building up new planets/bases when you already have 50 of them seems nearly omnipresent, and even with various planetary governor AIs or what have you, those drat things are dumber than sacks of hammers :smith: MoO 3 tried, sort of?, to address this, but that game is a trash fire in general, so :rip:

I'm not sure if this also falls under being totally busted for fun, but there's plenty of weird ways to win in SMAC too, one time I started nuking my enemies which is a big diplomatic no-no, and (for some reason that I do not understand to this day) the rest of the UN decided to literally drown the Planet by continually raising the sea levels. Not a bad plan per se, but guess who was the only one who had bothered to dome up all their cities? Yeah, that was an odd way to win...

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Any disagreements here? https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-strategy-games/

I'm phone posting, otherwise I'd list them as well.

Well, they had Alpha Centauri on there, so to quote doctor Pauli, "it's not even wrong". Although they prefaced it with "best", so, eh :shrug:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

They keep loving up moo2 remakes by putting crap like starlanes in the game, or making colony management too finicky.

No one likes starlanes, but in the most recent MoO2 remake they gave the Silicoids boobs. Why? gently caress you, that's why, I guess, but seriously, who wanted a remake of this with rockin' hot bod Silicoids? Pun slightly intended.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Clarste posted:

I will say that MOO2 was the only game in history where I had fun with the ship designer.

This, a million times this. It was so much fun making all your pixel ships. Even though they mostly looked like weird things from shoot-em-ups, but who cares! MoO2 had a good balance between a ship's worth in combat and the cost of making it. You could still end up facing a Klackon fleet of ships that would literally fill up the combat screen, but at least in the earlier stages of the game, a killer ship could really make your day.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Honestly, I like the goofier aspects of 4X games even if it isn't great world-building. Just give me the space lizards, the space cats and the space birds and have them all hate each other. It's a shame that none of the Master of Orion games got very far in giving them personalities, other than the space lizards being right bastards who have to be killed on sight, but either way, you know where you are with space lizards and space cats.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Meme Poker Party posted:

I am reporting you for space racism against lizards.

The sad part? In the new MoO, the lizards are generally pretty nice to you. It's the purple ones in MoO2 that are absolute jerks.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MoO 2016 is mostly a graphical overhaul of MoO2, but they did change some things around for the worse, unfortunately.

I still have a ridiculous amount of hours in it :dawkins101:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

They also added star-lanes, which suck and their implementation of them in that game is especially bad since the way the ships move, you are always a minimum of 3 turns away from a planet regardless of your engine tech. One turn to leave the system and go into hyperspace, one turn to leave hyperspace and get to a planet. What a mess.

I don't really mind the star lanes that much, because you can abuse it to 'trick' the AI sometimes, but on the other hand playing peek-a-boo with your scouts and pirate ships is infuriating. My biggest peeves are 1) the ridiculous spying system, why did they have to create that monstrosity instead of the MoO2 model 2) some aspects of the tech tree 3) the incongruence between their attempts at "lore-building" for the races and them all playing more or less the same 4) the glaring imbalances in the game, though I suppose I shouldn't complain since I like MoM too 5) the new and superfluous victory conditions. Oh and the AI being as dumb as rocks, but as per the thread title that's a given in 4Xes :v: (out of the box anyway...)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This is what happens if I keep clicking forward in the "start new game" menu, i.e. after making a new custom Planet:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

habituallyred posted:

MOO2 had the perfect LAN multiplayer setup. Everybody inputs their non combat stuff at the same time. Then the game processes everything once all the turns are in. The only thing you can race to do is conduct diplomacy with other species. Dominions has this going for it too, but there is way more stuff to fiddle with there.

MoO2 also has a hot-seat mode. Which isn't a big deal today, but whoo boy back in the day as kids we spent hours and hours on that stuff. We did have to house-rule to "play nice" with each other, since you can see what the other person is doing, and planning a surprise war really isn't in the cards.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Are you saying there is updated Master of Orion 2? I only see the old Master of Orion remake which is a pretty bad game since it decided to use star-lanes for the galaxy topology which makes the end-game a huge slog. Literally a minimum of 6 turns to traverse between two systems.

The game features a win condition which seems explicitly made to avoid end-game slogs, though. If starlanes offend in general, I get that, it's certainly different than MoO2.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

MoO has always had multiple win conditions The Galactic Senate, Conquering all or killing the Antarans in MoO2. But It's also always had late game techs that make the conquest victory lap easier and fun. The new MoO doesn't have the ability to make the end game a fun victory lap instead of a slog. Also the planet management mechanics are very uninspired and the race customization sucks. MoO2 has much better custom race options.

I meant the 'points' victory condition in MoO 2016. If you absolutely, positively want to stellar convert every planet not your own, then yeah, that takes awhile, but murdering everyone in MoO2 is also an endeavour on the larger galaxy settings.

The races in MoO 2016 are less separated than in MoO2, I'll give you that, and I haven't even bothered to fiddle with the race customizer largely due to this. The Meklar are just unbalanced in MoO 2016, and I'm not interested in trying to make a Meklar 2.0 because :shrug: But conversely, the MoO2 race customizer incentivizes the kind of degenerate min-maxing that, while sometimes hilarious, does bad things to game balance. At least MoO2 isn't MoM!

What do you find disappointing about MoO 2016 planetary management? It's a fairly faithful carbon copy from MoO2, you move the little dudes around and you have a build queue with mostly even the same buildings as MoO2 had. I guess the 'planetary governors' are not as useful (read: mostly useless) in MoO 2016.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, pollution in 2016 forces your hand to bee-line a specific tech, which isn't very interesting. And making specialized planets is harder, but it doesn't seem to matter, since the main game-play loop therefore revolves around maxing population count above all else. Which is a part of the sameyness of the races, everyone has the same long-term and shorter-term goals. MoO2, once you get rolling, is definitely designed around specialization, which also makes for a much more clear tier-list of the races.

I would say in general that pretty much every down-grade in MoO 2016 is that they made some things into chores. The spying system is horrible.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There's a modernization of MoO1 available as freeware, if new players don't want to struggle with a game interface from 1993.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

And if you spawn next to the master sorcery wizard, just start a new game. :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The SimAnt manual was like 30% just various ant facts and stuff. In an age before wikipedia, how thoughtful of them. Ants :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a packaged version somewhere of Civilization 2 that runs natively on Windows 10 and isn't bugged? I have the "Civilization Collection" box set which has Civ 2, but I don't have a disc drive any more and my understanding is that the "working/current" version of the game has some kind of bugged AI?

Edit: While I'm here, i've decided to play some of the older 4Xs I never played when I was younger: Master of Magic, Master of Orion, and MoO 2. Are there any good let's plays of the original flavor Master of Orion that goons would recommend? Either video or SSLPs are fine with me. I've found some good stuff for MoM and MoO2 already.

The MoO LP on the Let's Play archive is good and fun, Thotimx plays through all the races and shows off the differences, etc., very thorough and informative.

chaosapiant posted:

After years of playing 4Xs, but never playing either MoO Classic or MoO 2, i'm falling in love with both of these games. I think I do prefer MoO 2 for the better presentation and atmosphere and I like loving with pops. But both games are just so drat elegant in their design it makes me wonder why other 4Xs keep having to get just more and more complicated.

Ironically, it's Distant Worlds Universe that reminds me the most of the original MoOs. It's got that right mix of mystery and atmosphere the original games have.

More Master of Orion questions:

1. How was the remake of MoO? Is it as good as the originals? Or is it just a soul-less knock off type thing?

2. Master of Orion 3: is that any good these days? I know there's been fan-patches to fix tons of issues, but is it actually a good game these days with those patches? I've been reading Libliuni's awesome MoO3 Let's Play, but it's hard to get an idea of how the game plays today, fully patched and what not?

RandomBlue posted:

1. Not good. Extremely bland and forgettable IMO.

2. I've tried it a few times but even all patched to hell it wasn't enjoyable for me.

First of all, which MoO remake are we talking about here? The Master of Orion 2016 (on Steam) is a re-make of MoO2, and I'm suspecting RandomBlue might be talking about that one; according to Steam I have some 700 hours logged in that game so I'm not quite as critical, but my hot take is that MoO 2016 is MoO2 with a prettier interface, some absolute misfires on "fixing" things (spying, looking at you in particular), and I would also say it doesn't quite capture the magic of the original MoO2. I have played way more MoO2 than MoO 2016, so I am not able to say how nostalgia-tinted my views are. If you're interested in this one, I can type up more of my criticism of 2016 at you :haw:

Now, there is a MoO (1, from 1993) re-make, Remnants of the Precursors, which is an extremely faithful remake of the original game. More precisely, it's a game that functions like the game described in the original Master of Orion Strategy Guide (remember those things?), so it has some tiny engine-fixes and patching up some inconsistencies, but it's definitely like a very low-key "unfinished business" MoO1 version, if the BG analogue makes sense. RotP also has a somewhat active Discord where you can ask questions about figuring out a game from 1993! Oh and needless to say, the interface is a lot more usable than the original MoO, with its limited screen real estate availability and all. You can use the scroll wheel on your mouse!

In case Libluini's LP hasn't convinced you, Master of Orion III is an absolute trash fire. :eng99: Do not waste your life on that abomination.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 31, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Is there any reason at all to play it over MoO 2? I mean, when it comes to more modern 4Xs, I've got Endless Space 2, Distant Worlds Universe and its sequel, and of course Stellaris.

MoO2 is more challenging and more diverse, if that makes sense. Essentially the main game-play loop in 2016 is the same for all races*, so there isn't really a special way of playing any of the (stock) races. You will always want to colonize as many planets as possible, as soon as possible, and terraform them to the max as soon as possible. I don't think a turtling strategy would make any victory condition easier to accomplish, usually the opposite, and therefore ideas like Psilons being weak science geeks just doesn't work like it does in MoO2. 2016 and MoO2 both visualize the mechanic of planet management via cute tiny pixel mens (aliens), so you'll get that either way. The tech trees work slightly differently, and I would say 2016 botched this renovation too, although MoO2 is different about how it is cruel with the 'Uncreative' race trait.

Both games also have the end game mechanic of blowing up planets, so that's a tie, and the Antaran menace is about the same in both games.

MoO2 has way better music!

*The exception being the Meklar (robot race), but I'm not sure if this is due to a bug or not. Either way, they steamroll the other AI due to a unique advantage they get in the aforementioned loop.

Libluini posted:

MO16 has sexy cat ladies, if you're into that. Otherwise, :lol: not really. "It looks nicer to modern audiences" is the only thing it has going for it.

MoO1 had sexy cat ladies, too. MoO 2016 has curvy silicoid ladies, for some loving reason :prepop: MoO2 has sexy elf ladies, and the sexiness of the human scientist lady in 2016 depends on how one feels about librarians, I suppose.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

It was run by Alan Emrich who wrote the prior have strategy guides so I assume it was writer arrogance, like every time a movie critic makes a movie and it turns out terrible.

Alan Emrich left the design team at some point, and the game design was changed around quite a bit during development. The resulting mess is not pretty.

I was following the development along back then, but it was over 20 years ago now and I can't remember most of the drama. Except for how angry people got that Rantz wanted to delete half the races from MoO1 because anthropomorphic animals were "childish", and as a response Rantz put an animation of the cat aliens being bombed to death into the game's intro movie. And all the teasing about the "harvester" aliens.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

anyone have recs for "coffee break" 4X games if they exist? Don't have to be actual short spanned in game length, but just something lighter than Civ to tinker with after work when im tired and don't have a lot of brainpower to use

There's the freshly released Ozymandias, but it actually is meant to be a coffee-break/short 4X lite game.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm late to the party, but rambling thoughts: 4X's in general are a bit of a mess. Hence the thread title, I suppose. I grew up playing Master of Orion 2 and I think that game really nailed down what makes a 4X fun. Of course the game can, and merrily will, gently caress you over by you discovering around turn 150 that there's a massive Sakkra or Klackon empire on the other side of the galaxy and you can't really break those guys over your knee, but the game-play itself is fun. (And you could play it multiplayer over hot-seat, which was great in the 90's)

That fun argument goes for Master of Magic too, even though that game is way more broken and nowadays I just rage-quit when I see Jafar and his freaking illusions.

I've been playing some Civ 5 lately, but a) I suck at it b) I'm not really a fan of the way the game has multiple ways for a snow-balling empire to just crush everyone, and you obviously have to race to be the crusher, but the game also has all the dumb mechanics that are supposed to keep you from snowballing and it's a lot of tedium to work around. It seems like a lot of 4X game design since the 90's has taken the wrong lessons about how to make the games engaging, even if the balance is off or whatever.

Less importantly (or more?), the little icons for your dudes in Master of Orion 2 are adorable.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Also to Strix, there will be better leaders than Ailis, just keep slots open.

victrix posted:

asymmetric design answers that, by having the AI play a different game than the player - with the intent not being to play the same snowball 4x ICS as the player, but instead to present an interesting and enjoyable challenge (cf. AI War)

the baked in assumption that the CPU players must play the same game as the player without cheating (screeching from the 4x audience), hamstrings so many 4x games from the word go

I don't disagree with this in principle, but if the AIs are playing a different game than I am, what are we all doing? My earlier post criticizing the faults of 4X game design and all, but if we are not all playing for galaxy domination, why are we there? And is it still a 4X game if the other players don't try to be head Psilon?

I suppose this qualifies as "screeching" :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I generally see it as the PVP vs PVE divide. Do you want the game more heavily tilted towards fighting mind worms / barbarians / the invader guys from MOO2, or towards fighting other players/AI? I suspect I could turn off enemy wizards in Warlock 2 entirely and still have a good time exploring and beating up monster lairs, but if I turned off the other dudes in SMAX, fighting mind worms wouldn't be enough.

SMAX is a slightly weird case in that the game narrative very much tells you bit by bit that you are fighting Planet itself, and some of the victory conditions tie into this. But you still have to fight Miriam at some point. The Antarans in Master of Orion are a pest, but they don't come out all that often, and they usually hit the god damned Sakkra or whoever is leading the score at that particular moment. Master of Orion is way more about fighting the other races than the Antarans.

I don't think it's particularly bad that a 4X is about fighting the other factions, but the game-play then has to revolve around that in order to make it satisfying. SMAX makes it very personal because the way the game presents it to you, you are literally trying to murder Yang or whomever. Master of Orion had very distinct alien races, even if some of them are of the "what if this animal but turned into a person" variety, but you still get a sense of accomplishment when invading a huge Klackon world.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 23, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's not a good example, but the "harvesters" from Master of Orion 3: The Bad One were sort of like that. Sadly the game's migration systems and the like made the big bad guys more into an unmanageable nuisance.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

First of all, the MoO2 ship design screen has awesome music. Though MoO2 in general has awesome music.

MoO2 is small enough in scale that most times, your ships are kind of like player characters, and it makes sense that you'd spend some time designing them. And MoO2 has a lot of goofy-fun weapons like the gyro destabilizer that it at least feels like the player has a lot of freedom with what kind of ships they want to make.

Of course this kind of falls apart in the end game, where you can find your friendly neighbour Klackon or Sakkra empire has built dozens and dozens of relatively crappy ships, absolutely filling the combat screen on their side, and at that point you just hit AUTO and go do something else for 30 minutes while all the firing animations happen and this is obviously no fun for anybody.

There's a unit designer in SMAC, but I never really tooled around with it the same way I did with MoO2, not sure why really. SMAC does automatically give you new unit designs as you climb the tech tree, so it's not really obligatory in the same sense as it is in MoO2. And of course the power move in MoO2 for the lazy is just wait until you get the plasma cannon, which even after they nerfed it (:argh:) does ridiculous damage, fill up some battle ships with those bad boys, go beat the Guardian, and you're pretty much set for the rest of the game.

I remember the MoO2 "community" also min-maxed the ship design and tactical combat stuff so that you could build an unstoppable fleet almost out of the gate with missile ships, or something like that, but I never had the patience for that kind of play even as a kid.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

most games have lame unit design because 4X is a wasteland of the imagination where the biggest difference in unit parts most designers can conceive of is a gun that does 10% more damage with 20% less range or if you really wanna get kinky a rock-paper-scissors thing with shields and armor. This is not an issue in any other genre that has customization (RPGs, tactical combat games) because the people making them aren't stuck trying to replicate DOS-era game design and let the little modules have weird gimmicks that synergize in distinct ways, so you can build goofy stuff like aircraft carrier submarines and spaceships that only work at point-blank range but shoot grappling guns so they'll stay at point-blank range and have those be extremely contextually effective against someone who didn't plan for that, and also hilarious

(emphasis mine)
This is a good post, IMO. Master of Orion 2 was good at what it did, but a lot of the game-play itself involves tedium because the designers wanted to make little pixel mans or ladies for you to care about, and the economical system revolves around that. You want more pixel mans, you make buildings that help make more pixel mans, etc. I realize I have heavy nostalgia glasses for this stuff, so I sort of like the pixel mens mechanic (they're so cute in the MoO2 remake!), but it leads to a game that's maybe a quarter about painting the map in your colour and the rest spent micro-managing the planets, designing ships and so on. And of course diplomacy is also easily abused in MoO2, and then sometimes the AI just seemingly randomly declares war on you, and welp.

Agean90 posted:

scifi 4x games are made by science fiction nerds which means they're easily distracted by dumb details that dont actually matter

I don't want to give a poo poo about the loadout of each specific ship, I want to know what they were built for and what their use for the state is. I don't want to declare that this planet will have this building and personality dictate it's construction plan for the next 10 years, I want to dictate an economic plan based on available resources and stay focused on the bigger picture

Master of Orion 3: The Bad One was meant to be a response to this, but it was... Well, awful. Later games not in the MoO franchise did better, but even the later Civilization games have building queues and the like.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I found an old copy of SMAC on my computer and copied it to my son's computer, and we've been playing a bunch of it lately, and god drat I forgot how much more fun this is than most of the 4xs I've played since.

Playing with my son has been especially fun, since he has some clear rules: Deirdre is always his friend, and if she doesn't want to be he will make her. Yang is always his enemy, no matter what. And he will absolutely stab in me in the back at every opportunity if one opens up, but he will immediately apologize and try to give me tech/money to make up for having done so after a few turns (he's keeping the cities though).

One of the best parts about playing SMAC was playing against other leaders who felt like they had personalities, at least a little bit, and my playing with my son is a lot like that, compared to the boringness of most 4x players I've played with trying to optimize everything.

This is a great story, thank you for sharing, and it reminds me of being a kid playing MoO2 with friends :) I don't think there's game mechanics to accommodate all this "they're in the same room as me, and we want to be friends next week too!" type of metagaming. And I wouldn't expect it out of the the 4X games of the time, either.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I agree with your description of Yang, but doesn't the same apply to Miriam? She spams a lot of colonies that are worthless 3-pop shitholes, but she can park a unit that can bombard in there and be an absolute nuisance. I honestly don't think the Believers were meant to feel like a fun faction to play, but they're an excellent antagonist, because sci-fi 4X fans generally don't like evangelizing nut-jobs, and she is written as a horrifying example of one. Yang's version of... Communism? is weird, but at least you can play as them sort of OK.

Now, Deirdre is a problem because she takes over half the planet and you have to do something about that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This seems like planet buster time :getin: I know that fucks you up royally with the rest, but what are you supposed to do with that?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Has anyone tried making a learning AI try to play Civ, or any other 4X? If the AIs can master Breakout, surely...

Out of the two examples I've been yammering about, the AIs in MoO2 and SMAC are pretty simplistic. It spams new colonies, tries to play relatively aggressively when it comes to warfare but with crap units (there's that unit designer again!), and AIs don't seem very good at min-maxing their economy. It's usually awful playing a war of conquest in MoO2 when you invade the AI's planets and they're all undeveloped hellholes.

And then of course on higher difficulties the AI just plain cheats with bonuses the player can't get, they get extra points in the race designer and stuff like that.

This feels more like a game development issue, the dev cycle simply doesn't have time or money for someone to make a gee-whiz AI when they're still trying to get the game itself together. 4X games have a lot of randomness baked in, as pointed out above, and the "terrain hazards" in SMAC in the form of mind worms etc. and especially the Antarans in MoO2 can just delete colonies and unit stacks out of the blue. The AI would have to be pretty reactive to work around all that, and at the same time manage all the relative complexity of the game economy system itself.

edit

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Again outside the 4X space there's games that do combat quite well in comparable circumstances, Frozen Synapse comes to mind. But that's a tactical game where the whole point is high-tension combat puzzle-solving, not noodling around the map making a little country without having to worry that if you waste some moves doing something silly the computer is going to eat you alive

Chess-like games like Into the Breach have an AI that simply chooses the sub-optimal move every now and then, at least on lower difficulties, to give the player a better chance. Though that game feels more like a puzzle game than a combat game in its execution.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 21, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fangz posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Into the Breach "AI" is just random.

Aww, well egg on my face then :(

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey, something I'm actually knowledgeable about! Machine learning is very very good at the sort of complexity you're describing, and no you don't need a human opponent or an existing AI to train them. 4x games would be a remarkably easy problem for adversarial networks to solve in fairly robust ways with modern design approaches. It doesn't even matter that games are particularly long (and they wouldn't be all that long for an AI) because any decent training network isn't going to be playing full games anyway.

Absolutely no one developing 4xs right now is likely to have the skill to do any of that, nor do they have any real incentive to gain or develop or them, because that involves a lot of work and technical know-how, but it wouldn't be particularly difficult to train an AI to play a 4x game well enough to completely outshine any human player, since they are complex enough you don't need to get anywhere near "optimal" play, you just need heuristics slightly better than the ones human use.

But who actually wants that? Do players care enough to make it worth the money to hire the talent or buy the hardware needed? Hell no, and most players would complain about the AI "cheating" if you bothered. This is video game development! If you can take a shortcut to avoid doing work the player can't see, that's what you're gonna do!

It's a fun thought experiment, and thanks for this post. I personally would not want to play against a super-AI. At least for me, the fun in 4X's is that there's a definite sense of progression, and your main "enemy" is the economic system and trying to snow-ball yourself to victory. It's also fun to hate on Miriam or the Sakkra, and trying to deal with their sub-optimal bullshit, but I see it more as keeping their filthy hands away from my stuff, which I need to make more stuff, and on and on. If the AI could just merk me every time no matter what I did, what's the actual game left there?

Or in other words, the real Skinner box in a 4X, in my view, is getting new techs, colonies, making more pixel mens, etc., rather than killing the AI's pixel mens. This is why these games try to have different winning conditions than "you must murder everybody", because the process of doing that is usually very tedious and uninteresting near the end of the process.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

Miriam was right tho

Miriam was afraid. That is not the same thing as being right.

The world that SMAX shoves in your face is terrifying, or at least that is how the worms are presented to you from the on-set. The choice the game gives you is, will you side with Planet, or not?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

no, that is correct, given everything that transpires.

The game gives you, general you, a choice. Either you go with Planet, which is messed up but it's fun to sick Locusts of Chiron at people. Or, you try to remain "human", which Planet does not like, and which the opening cinematic tells you was a Bad Idea to start with. Miriam is afraid of a trans-humanist future, but the game's writing and the game mechanics sort of make you want to view that as a desirable path.

Ultimately, what Miriam offers is an eternal war against Planet itself, and the game does not present that as a good option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Civ5 of all things even has a cheevo for winning the game as Gandhi while only having 3 cities. The whole 'culture' mechanic is a bit annoying, but the game does offer that choice, too.