Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mokotow posted:

You’re absolutely right; gameplay needs to evolve to match these large galaxies made now possible by more computing power. It’s just that the genre has been stuck in (and failing) improving the MOO formula. To be clear, I don’t think Stardock is the company that’ll crack this nut.
Maybe Distant Worlds 2 will!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Jack Trades posted:

AI War 2 is very good but also not really a 4X.
Also, interesting enough, since the last big rework the game has gotten very easy.

How so?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Jack Trades posted:

That brings up an interesting topic.

Which are the least deadest 4Xes?
I loved in Distant Worlds how the private sector is simulated for your empire but not under your direct control, with civilian traffic flying everywhere.

X4 as well takes that to an even further extreme with an absolute ton of traffic flying around actually fulfilling material requirements for all the different factions. It might not look like a 4X game but when you play it as an empire-builder you can spend most of your time in the map directing your ships, fleets and stations around.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

isn't the game still being made by one dude

it's basically Dwarf Fortress: In Space idk what you were expecting. hopefully the new version will attract more of a third-party modding community and won't be any harder to crack open and fiddle with.

I believe you're thinking of Aurora 4x, Distant Worlds has a small dev team but it is definitely not a solo project.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

chaosapiant posted:

Another DW “trick” I’m hoping still works is keeping tax at zero percent as long as you can to raise population.

They’ve definitely addressed this one!

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Psycho Landlord posted:

Ah that thing space 4x nerds have been screaming at devs to do for years now, can't wait to see them screaming about how much they hate it, actually
I haven't played DW2 yet (waiting for more patches) but ground wars were pretty straightforward and fine in DW1

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Lowen posted:

I loved Distant Worlds.
I bounced right off Distant Worlds 2. I think it's in much rougher shape compared to 1.

e:
Distant Worlds is also special because you can put any aspect of your empire on autopilot, so if you're just mopping up you can have the computer do that for you and watch.
I feel the exact same way, DW:U ruined other 4x games for me and the sequel (so far) is a pretty big letdown. I guess it's just one developer though so give it five years or so more lol.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Kitfox88 posted:

In the mood to just build a big civ/city/etc and feel fuzzy as I make my citizens' lives better without the whole 'obliterate anyone that doesn't kneel' part, and I'm sick to death of Civ 5. Any suggestions?
Tropico is honestly great for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo what a dumb way to describe turn-based online multiplayer lol. Technically correct but wow.