Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Sid Meier wrote a memoir:

Sid Meier's Memoir!: A Life in Computer Games

Needless to say, I already bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Sid Meier mentioned in one of his talks that what you don't want to do is design a black box that just kind of plays itself - you want the player to be the one making decisions and having the fun, not the designer before it even gets played. Distant Worlds to me seems like Exhibit A for that.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Honestly I feel like ck2 rpg-type elements do a disservice to the gameplay of games where it gets added in and I think the CK2-in-space was a profoundly bad idea.

I mean, I think it's be a cool idea which I am sure would have its fans, but also I personally get absolutely zero enjoyment from Crusader Kings's actual gameplay and I don't consider it 4X.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't know why people haven't been creating turn-based town builders that are basically like playing Civ with no opponents and balanced for it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So people who've pre-ordered Humankind can play in a short beta now. Has anyone tried it?

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/humankind-offers-first-four-eras-to-play-in-latest-opendev-2926006

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

They've had a couple of open beta periods and people have been posting about them in the Humankind thread

The last one was okay, I thought, haven't tried the latest but people seem to be up on it.

Thanks!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Clarste posted:

I feel like I never get to do anything cool because the game just ends before I get any of the cool techs. To be fair, that is 99.999% because I am bad at the game so my science growth is slow. But I tried playing on Endless Mode and it's just very relaxing and pleasant compared to constantly being booted out of the game when you reach the timer.

This is mildly amusing to me, because I just played a game of Endless Space 2 on the Endless difficulty and I wouldn't call it 'relaxing'. (Still pretty easy though, the AI is *poo poo*.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
MOO2016 isn't amazing, but it's not... terrible, either. I played a few games of it and it was *fine*. Grab it if it's really cheap, you might get a few play out of it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Old World is solid in this regard, from what I hear.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Endless Space/Legend is about as complex as I am wiling to go, unit design-wise. I noped out of Star Ruler 2 immediately.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A round up of reviews for Amplitude's Humankind, which comes out tomorrow:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/p5gzg7/humankind_review_thread/

Seems it's a 7.5 game with half a point added for ambition.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Has anyone tried Void Eclipse?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

orangelex44 posted:

The genre needs more games like Sid Meier's Colonization, and less that are just retreads of Civ or MOO. Not that I want a remake per se of Colonization, but the concept should be explored more: a game where the player has a more defined goal than just "blob forever", combined with logical restrictions and an endgame boss. Everyone acknowledges that the early parts of 4x are fun while the endgame is poo poo; you'd think after thirty years of trying someone would have figured out that the logical answer isn't to keep failing at making a good endgame, but to change things so that there isn't a "classical" 4x endgame.

I've missed out on the original Colonization, but the remake made me think "I wish this didn't have the other players". I think there is an unfilled demand for, like, Tropico/Anno, but turn-based.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Griz posted:

everything is glacially paced and why did they prevent saving in the demo when it's already time-limited?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Chad Jihad posted:

Random question, back when strategy guides were a thing, does anyone remember any particularly good ones? I kinda collect them; for example the Imperialism 2 one is great

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/96102-sid-meiers-alpha-centauri/faqs/2480

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Peanut Butler posted:

EL looks absolutely gorgeous imo and was my favorite civ-like for a while- buuut I'll say the visual style distracted me from quickly understanding the field, like I can with more iconographic games

I mostly play it at the zoom that makes everything iconographic.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Is there any reason at all to play it over MoO 2? I mean, when it comes to more modern 4Xs, I've got Endless Space 2, Distant Worlds Universe and its sequel, and of course Stellaris.

You want to play a game or two of something that is slightly different than the games you've already played quite a lot of?

It has a couple of neat little ideas, as I recall.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

i tried this years ago and bounced off it but might be worth another shot for less than 5bux.

There was a LP in the LP forum years ago and tbh while all the bits from the tabletop RPG (lore, art) were great, it did not feel like a game I'd enjoy playing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Do you have a link? I'd like to read that.

I've tried to find it, but it didn't make it to LParchive, alas:

quote:

The flash drive I was keeping the files on died, IIRC. I think I accidentally washed it. Took out both that LP and my Emperor of the Fading Suns LP. The files I had on my one PC were about 3 weeks old at that point and I didn't feel like replaying them any.

It happened twice to the EFS LP, that was one cursed LP. :(

quote:

I'd like to see a screenshot LP of Emperor of the Fading Suns. I thought there was one, but apparently it died an inglorious death like a decade ago and its images were scattered to the winds by the demise of Waffleimages.

EDIT: Nvm, actually found it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2705713

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 2, 2022

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Civ Rev was pretty fun back when I played it on my NDS, games usually lasted 2-3 hours prehistory to space age. There are versions for other

Also take a look at Polytopia.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Is Polytopia the same game as "Battle of Polytopia" on Steam or is that a sequel/spin off?

Yeah. That one was originally on mobile and might be best played there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's fun, actually.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd suggest just continuing trying to grok Civ IV, tbh. Once you understand the basic mechanics, you'll be able to play the rest of these fairly easily.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 21, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Sid Meier's Colonization, but just the native tribes and the King (and maybe reskinned wholesale to fantasy to avoid the problematic elements) would still be a 4X game, IMO.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/11iuve7/folk_emerging_curious_dynamics_prehistoric_4x/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2275300/Folk_Emerging/

Folk Emerging: a 4X that's kind of like Humanity's pre-historical era The Game. Looks interesting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Old World has a focus on characters as in there is a Crusader Kings-lite mechanic about your empire's dynasty and a healthy amount of events relating to them. Furthermore, it's just a really good game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fangz posted:

Tbh even in the MOO games the ship designer kinda broke the game. The AI would always build these balanced ships with missiles and laser etc while the player builds intensely minmaxed designs like unarmoured missile boats that shoot two massive volleys of missiles and then warp out.

That just anticipated modern drone warfare.

Corbeau posted:

It's this; this is why I immediately stop paying attention to any new 4x game that advertises tactical combat or a ship designer. The two layers of gameplay are not compatible.

I want the Victoria 3 war system applied to a fantasy or sci-fi game.

I'll take separate combat mode in 4X over 1UPT, tbh.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Infidelicious posted:

A lot of words to say Planetfall is a 6/10 tactical game married to a 4/10 4x

most of 4x games are x/10 games that consist of x-2/10 parts

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RandomBlue posted:

bunch of smac talk going on in here

I am into maxing out them hammers in, so The Hive is actually my favorite faction.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
oh god another thread I'm subbed to is now incredibly misinformed people arguing about AI

here's a thread for it, guys:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027671

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

AI in 4x games has been a problem since day one. So while yes, it’s adjacent I feel it’s still an appropriate discussion.

Game AI? Sure. Whether ChatGPT is markov chains, maybe not?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Not really a 4X game, though. I respect the design, but I didn't enjoy it. But Old World also had solid AI. Soren Johnson designs and balances all of his games by making MP versions first, which seems to be the trick.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

If I recall correctly, the composer for the earlier games in the series was a student of Franz Liszt, one of my favorite classical composers, and his training showed.

Franz Liszt died in the 1880s, which would make it a little hard for anyone alive within the past few decades to have met him. Looking at the composers for the first few games, Paul Romero seems to have met some famous composers in his day but, uhhh, there is something about that article that makes me think he might have written it himself, lol.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Civilization Revolution 1&2 came out on mobile. I haven't really played the mobile versions, but I've spent a hundred-plus hours in the NDS version, which was great.

There's also Polytopia, which is pretty slight but will be fun for a couple of hours and a whole bunch of boardgame adaptations like Eclipse and Scythe.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Slipways is a puzzle game. And I've never felt as much stress from a puzzle game either, though I'd definitely classify it as fun.

Yeah, it's not a 4X game at all.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It does feel Twilight Imperium-y.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Old World also uses pre-generated city sites.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You can become a Vassal in Civ 4 and 5. Then, if you manage to grow bigger than the master civilization, you can break free.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
(Those are the only three cities left on the planet after Ghandi nuked the rest.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Steam Nextfest has a demo for Microcivilizations and it’s pretty cool! It’s a semi idle clicker with a research tree, a local map, leaders with stats and historical eras (demo only has the neolithic) and invasions. Not a clicker player by any means, but it’s really fun!

Yeah, it's pretty fun. I doubt there's more than 2-3 playthroughs to it, but as long as it's priced accordingly there's nothing wrong with that.