Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Simple is a series of games started by D3 Publisher to fill a certain deep and dark market niche: the bargain bins.

It succeeded beyond imagination, expanding into hundreds of entries across multiple platforms. Most of those games are terrible. Some are also funny.

Many were localized only for the European market thanks to the efforts of 505 Gamestreet. The company also wanted bargain-bin games to tap into lean Italian wallets more efficiently. I don't know if the plan was successful, but 505 is still in business.

I've already presented a few abominable Riho Futaba games, but Simple is not all about swimsuits. There's also shooting, tanks, zombies, and teeth.

<==a video

*Metropolismanias were not originally Simple 2000 titles but got re-issued as a part of the series.

BYOSimple :siren: If you've got any of games from the series and wanted an excuse to record them, now is the time.

Somebody, do Zombie Attack. It's the one where you save people from hopping Chinese vampires.

Meanwhile, I'll join whatever outfit this is and go win WWII:

<==

<==

<==

<==

<==

<==

In an parallel universe, P. W. Hawk is trying his hand at city planing.

Meanwhile, in This Hole's construction offices

Years later, a discovery of Dragon Sisters is made at a site of one of our battles.

After peace had returned, P. W. Hawk had to go back to living with mom

P. W. Hawk is confused because this is another game not in the series.

As a military man, P. W. Hawk once commanded a special forces unit in Japan, outfitted with obsolete weaponry.

Suddenly, an old friend with a new ID bursts into the scene!

After boxing, everyone need to check in with THE Dentist.

P. W. Hawk is cheering for the Normal Tank Girl from the sidelines.

Bomb defusal in a cargo plane? Why, at this point, not?

When your bomb busting fails, and there's no radio helicopter around, who you're gonna call?

The final helicoptering game is here to show us how to make everything harder with radio helicopters.

Let's build another city, more terrible than the last!

Protecting the planet from aliens, one battle animation at a time.

P.W. Hawk's ancestors were a noisy bunch.

Meanwhile, back at the farm...

Zombies have taken over the city! This is the end...

See you later, Panty Waste Hawk.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Earth Defense Force was once a Simple series title, if I recall.

Though perhaps the most delightfully outlandish one I remember seeing was THE Zombie Vs. Ambulance (Zombie Virus in Europe).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Panty Waste Hawk is the best name in all of videogames and I'm glad we've started this LP with such an amazing name.

I genuinely wonder why the game even let you name yourself though, when nothing you could've written would've ever reached such glorious heights.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Now I'm really sad that this game isn't voiced.

e: I think this was the word they were going for?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 23, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
One Minecraft themed EDF is coming out later this year and EDF6 the year after. That Simple series franchise still does a great job since Monster Attack.

https://imgur.com/a/Pc1xwmh
I thought I recognized that game from somewhere.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 23, 2020

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The reveal of the size of the stack in the first video was :kiss:

Edit: Even the fake gun names are lazy in this game. They didn't even remove a whole letter from the M1911 or M1A1.

EasilyConfused fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 23, 2020

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Now I'm really sad that this game isn't voiced.

e: I think this was the word they were going for?

It's so budget even the Japanese version only had a voice for that opening scene. Not including the randomised name, alas.

EasilyConfused posted:

The reveal of the size of the stack in the first video was :kiss:

Glad you mentioned that because I missed that that was a video. And yeah the bottom left section on the dentist back cover says something about advertising and hiring, though given how much of the manual is devoted to specific tooth treatments it's probably pretty surface-level.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
As somewhat of a gun nerd the naming in this game is driving me nuts. So both the 1911 and the Thompson should have an M instead if an N, otherwise they are correct. What your game labels as a Gev43 is most likely a Gewehr 43/Karabiner 43, but something is wrong with the profile of the stock and those optics don't look like anything in particular. What is super weirding me out though is that they replaced M with N, and W with V. Just chop the letters in half, no one will notice. I wonder if it was like that before localization. Maybe done to avoid infringement? I'm nearly certain all these guns are old enough that it shouldn't be any issue. 1911 refers to the year the gun was designed after all.

Also, this game reminds me of a super low budget ripoff of the Delta Force games. We are dealing with Tamsoft though, so maybe it is.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 24, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Zushio posted:

As somewhat of a gun nerd the naming in this game is driving me nuts.
You've missed the Wolther pistol.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
So I did. Again, super hard to tell if its a translation flub or 100% on purpose.

Unrelated, but I recall FROM's Dark Tower Abyss on PS2. It also had some questionable depictions of weapons. If I recall correctly, your first gun is a super dinky 1911 chambered in weak baby .45ACP. The best hand gun you can find is the mighty Nambu Type-14 chambered in unstoppable 8mm.

Edit: I swear if I see one more Tec-9 firing full auto...

Zushio fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 24, 2020

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Like a lot of military-styled games, half the text was already in English so they just did the bare minimum

Though, they did edit MAG(weapon type) into (weapon type) Clip

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Polsy posted:

...of course they did.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Polsy posted:

Okay, I've never quite gotten it down, what is the difference between a magazine and a clip?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A clip is a small bit of metal that you rack ammo onto, a magazine is a container for ammo that feeds it into the firing chamber. A clip loads ammo into a magazine. If you're loading a gun with a clip, it's because it has an internal magazine.

https://writingexplained.org/clip-vs-magazine-difference

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
To put it into more visual terms, you put a magazine in an M16, but you put a clip in an M1 Garand.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man, what even is this game. There is just nothing here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kibayasu posted:

Man, what even is this game. There is just nothing here.

From what I understand, that's just how the Simple series works.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

There is a game here, but we're not exactly sure what.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Dabir posted:

A clip is a small bit of metal that you rack ammo onto, a magazine is a container for ammo that feeds it into the firing chamber. A clip loads ammo into a magazine. If you're loading a gun with a clip, it's because it has an internal magazine.

https://writingexplained.org/clip-vs-magazine-difference

OddHaberdasher posted:

To put it into more visual terms, you put a magazine in an M16, but you put a clip in an M1 Garand.

Wonderful! I'm not sure I ever saw it put quite that simply, thank you!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There's a party in the jungle and everyone's invited!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The heavy weapons must weigh a ton and you have so much spare room without having any.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Now I really want to know what Hero Points are. They don't seem to be experience, that appears with a normal name, so what a Hero Point is is very unclear.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Obviously if you earn enough Hero Points, you get to be a real hero. Communicating this to the player is important so that they can, uh, feel like a hero.

So do you...?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Between that and two of the men suggesting there's some kind of powerful sword guy out there I have to wonder if something got cut from that mission at the last minute. Not sure how your hero points would tie into a possible boss fight either way, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still just so confused. Even terrible, terrible games first try to be something and then fail horribly.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
But that whole trying thing requires too much effort. Maybe they just intentionally skipped straight to the failing miserably, figuring it was inevitable so they might as well cut out the middleman.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tanks! We blow them up!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly I expected the tanks to be more threatening but instead they're pretty much only memorable for having more than 1 HP, aren't they?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

SelenicMartian posted:

Tanks! We blow them up!

You're the most master sergeantist master sergeant there ever was.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I have suspicions that taking more points in shooting would make the machine guns perform better, but I also realize that this game isn't the place to expect logic or sensible game design.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now I know what this game is reminding me of - though its more accurate to say they are imitating games like Covert Command - those hundreds or thousands of free to play "shooting" games on phones. They all use the same few pre-built asset environments and either put you in a single spot or move you through a path automatically on a rail. They even all have overly ambitious titles. The only difference is that you control the movement and the limiting factor are your supplies instead of time-gated "energy."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think you are now higher ranked than the drill sergeant who named you. Why not shame him?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think you are now higher ranked than the drill sergeant who named you. Why not shame him?

Panty Waste Hawk is actually quite proud of his new name so he won't shame the brilliant man that created it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Guess what doesn't appear in a mission titled Tiger From Hell.

Correct! Any of those things.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Every time the 'sir yes sir!' sound clip plays I keep thinking of the first scene in Hunt Down the Freeman where you're in a bootcamp, and like here a drill sergeant comes in to berate the privates (all of whom have their eyes pointing in random directions, it's hideous) and at some point they all yell 'sir yes sir!' except it's the same clip played a billion times and it kills your ears.

This is very unfair to this game, as much as you wouldn't believe it unless you've seen HDtF yourself.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That tank mission did not look fair or fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think that city level was supposed to be snowy.

Out of curiosity if you were to, say, completely gently caress up and whiff a bunch of grenades and bazooka rounds on a destroy tank mission would your only choice be to go back to other missions and play them until you found more? Assuming the end mission rewards are 1 time only that is.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Every time the 'sir yes sir!' sound clip plays I keep thinking of the first scene in Hunt Down the Freeman where you're in a bootcamp, and like here a drill sergeant comes in to berate the privates (all of whom have their eyes pointing in random directions, it's hideous) and at some point they all yell 'sir yes sir!' except it's the same clip played a billion times and it kills your ears.

This is very unfair to this game, as much as you wouldn't believe it unless you've seen HDtF yourself.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of that. Is it some sort of Half Life mod?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

azren posted:

I'm not sure I've ever heard of that. Is it some sort of Half Life mod?

It's a lovely broken Half-Life mod sold as a game. At one point a Combine soldier attacks you with a big red ERROR because they forgot to switch that one gun's model when they quickly got rid of the official HL models and replaced them with ones they bought from 3rd parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blaze Dragon posted:

That tank mission did not look fair or fun.
Throw a grenade over an object and keep it between the both of you.