Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Throw a grenade over an object and keep it between the both of you.
There's a hitbox over objects.

Kibayasu posted:

Out of curiosity if you were to, say, completely gently caress up and whiff a bunch of grenades and bazooka rounds on a destroy tank mission would your only choice be to go back to other missions and play them until you found more?
Enemy drops are fixed, so you'd be replaying a short mission that gives you grenades a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SelenicMartian posted:

There's a hitbox over objects.
You were able to throw a grenade over the debris on your video at 7:47.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What if the awful camera were intentional?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Awfully nice of them to not run you over, since your Bizen can cleave trucks in half.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The unlockable for beating the game on Hard is... almost awesome?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Unfortunate that you don't also get invincibility or something like it, but that is pretty good.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He might greatly reduce incoming damage by charging his hammer to level 3.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Exploding hammer is too cool for this game.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's a lovely broken Half-Life mod sold as a game. At one point a Combine soldier attacks you with a big red ERROR because they forgot to switch that one gun's model when they quickly got rid of the official HL models and replaced them with ones they bought from 3rd parties.

:stare: Wow, that's intensely impressive levels of failure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

azren posted:

:stare: Wow, that's intensely impressive levels of failure.

If you have an hour and a half to spare you could watch this runthrough of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH2DZaQgGcI
Otherwise Civvie11's video about the game is also a good watch (and significantly shorter):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxcHTX6fAVI

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Valve should never have let them sell that abomination

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Otherwise Civvie11's video about the game is also a good watch (and significantly shorter):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxcHTX6fAVI

:stonk: :psyboom:

I... I am unable to parse this. Like, seriously, I am beyond stunned by the fact that this is being sold for real money WITH VALVE'S PERMISSION!!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Squeaky Hammer doesn't actually squeak but does explode. 5/10

FlamingLiberal posted:

Valve should never have let them sell that abomination

What were they going to do, make it themselves?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kibayasu posted:

Squeaky Hammer doesn't actually squeak but does explode. 5/10

What were they going to do, make it themselves?
I mean they have a well established history of not making HL games so they could have just not let them use the IP

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

An adorable game that's an absolute chore to play.

The year is 2002. Corona comes to town.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They could have added an economy to make your choices have more of an impact, instead of a steady income.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think the idea is fine but the execution seems terribly repetitive and the translation is terrible, with the dialogue being so stilted, bizarre and machine-like.

The one VA they got did an excellent job though.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

For some reason, our guy's yellow suit makes it impossible for me to imagine him as anything but some Bizarro version of the Warden from Superjail.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I was thinking the left-handed version of the Once-ler.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This may shock you, but Simple didn't get all the worst games.

:killdozer::smuggo:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not enough yelling at each other for the construction genre.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I think there was a full LP of this years ago? I remember this scene...

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think the idea is fine but the execution seems terribly repetitive and the translation is terrible, with the dialogue being so stilted, bizarre and machine-like.

The one VA they got did an excellent job though.

The dialogue for the Metropolismania boss is better than the rest of the game too, he definitely got all the localisation work put into him (untranslated text on the tutorial images aside)

The visual novel scenes in BCV were voiced in the Japanese version, which is curious considering they obviously already had English voice actors in. I guess it would've been additional cost to have them read all the lines but if you already went through the trouble of hiring them and getting them in for the cutscenes/gameplay...

TapamN posted:

I think there was a full LP of this years ago? I remember this scene...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3640294 though apparently it didn't quite finish the game.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 27, 2020

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Well that was different.

For better and for worse.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Polsy posted:

The visual novel scenes in BCV were voiced in the Japanese version, which is curious considering they obviously already had English voice actors in. I guess it would've been additional cost to have them read all the lines but if you already went through the trouble of hiring them and getting them in for the cutscenes/gameplay...
Are those people actors? This seems to be firmly rooted in the "stop random people in the street and ask them to read a line" school of voice casting.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Fair point. Probably says something that nobody involved with the localisation demanded to be in the credits (which are untouched besides being translated).

At least we got this out of this experience, thank you anonymous soul.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a bigger budget and among other things using some of it to take on the Transformers brand so you're fighting the Constructicons would have turned this into a big hit.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I think that Gamefaq review just needed some editing.

quote:

Quite often, unknown games are bad games...BCV is one such game.

I for one have never played anything quite like it.

...the gameplay is always... repetitive.

The storyline is nothing... epic...

I won’t be holding my breath for a sequel.

...fails to deliver in any way shape or form.

The anime could have been pretty fun, though. Assuming it didn't get weird with your step-sister.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

Don't worry in traditional anime plot twist territory she was adopted so they aren't related! A twist literally stapled on in the third last line of dialogue.:v:

Highly recommend watching a long play, I think the runtime is only just over an hour if that, especially if you skip the actual fights.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mathwyn posted:

Highly recommend watching a long play, I think the runtime is only just over an hour if that, especially if you skip the actual fights.
Yeah, the story goes quite some places. At least it (mostly) seems to be self-aware.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Kangra posted:

Assuming it didn't get weird with your step-sister.

I know deep down in my heart that it would.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I wasn't planning on it, but apparently the main characters were discovered at a construction site

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This doesn't look terrible? It seems like there was at least some effort put into the graphics, and while the levels really do feel like they go on for too long, they don't feel a lot more repetitive than other beat 'em ups to me (though I'm not a fan of the genre, so I'm probably not the right person to talk here). That said, holy poo poo it looks grindy as gently caress with how many things want you to pay to obtain them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would be better if there were life bars to judge whether your attacks are more effective.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So I realize that you're playing on the easiest difficulty, but this game seems... really easy so far.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He did the tutorial levels. I guess the highest difficulty has enemies that kill you in three shots?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I don't hate this. I kind of want to see the dolls in a better game, even.

Why is it called Dragon Sisters if they are Cyber-dolls, though?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was kinda confused that you kept saying you definitely need to upgrade your strength when generally you'd be exploding basic mooks in like 2-3 blows. Not that I'd choose differently, but it would be more for stuff like that level 2 boss and thinking of the future than the mooks up to that boss.

Anyway I'm interested how the Cruelty-build will work out.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The audio for the text scroll in the Japanese version has this terrible radio static/tuning squeal effect over it, so it's not a great loss.

marshmallow creep posted:

Why is it called Dragon Sisters if they are Cyber-dolls, though?

I'm leaning towards 'someone was given the box art and told to come up with a better title than "War Girls"'. Also this person didn't talk to anyone working on the actual game translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That reminds me Siren 2's European release with English voice acting. Their accents seem to be from all over the English speaking world, but then there's the primary POV character, Mamoru, whose actor is the only one pretending to be Japanese and doing it badly. Just one guy with a bad idea who no one stopped.