Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cyber doll encounters the horrors of sewers and lifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
The 'is this really happening' commentary on the 'not really an actual lift' level cracked me up. Just wow.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The Simple Series: This must be the work of god

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Aug 11, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't wondering why you were planning to upgrade your strength, I was wondering why your commentary made it sound like even 2-3 punches to kill a guy is too much.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I'm thinking that probably has something to do perhaps with the 'now kill the same eight enemies on the same terrain you just did that five times already on' issue.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If that's the case then not playing anymore is the solution, I wouldn't be surprised if upgrading your strength will always at best keep you on the same relative level as the enemies so you'll keep taking 2-3 hits to kill the basic ones.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kind of weird to have your robot protagonist be religious, but who am I to criticize their beliefs?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Kind of weird to have your robot protagonist be religious, but who am I to criticize their beliefs?
Makes total sense, she's presumably "Intelligently Designed".

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Blaze Dragon posted:

For is it not written in the Electronic Bible, "The iron shall lie down with the lamp"? Oh, it's common sense, sir. If there weren't a better life to look forward to, why on Earth would machines spend the whole of their lives servicing humankind? Now that would be really dumb.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is text on that elevator level on the hallway parts and half are mirrored. The low resolution makes them unreadable.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The rest of the game isn't nearly as terrible graphically so that just gives me the feeling they realised the text was mirrored at the last minute and only had time to downscale it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Polsy posted:

The rest of the game isn't nearly as terrible graphically so that just gives me the feeling they realised the text was mirrored at the last minute and only had time to downscale it.
Ah, the coward's option. They were afraid to put WELCOME TO THE MIRROR ZONE before the stage.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Doesn't seem odd to me; if your robot is sufficiently complicated, there's nothing to say they couldn't go that way. And if they're programmed to be religious in the first place, that... defeats the purpose of faith, but I'm sure that some humans would do it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Mark would find the lack of railings disturbing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I stand corrected, strength clearly speeds things up, though weirdly the basic enemies still take 2-3 hits generally, just like in the first level.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This game seems to not be entirely sure how violent it wants to be. We go from the military alert basically going "kill everyone and everything" to our protagonist wanting to make the enemy retreat, but not after pointing out resistance is futile.

Either go all out on the bloodlust or not!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looks like there is a good bit of time between levels if the game is showing some consistency on the cable car level with the background showing the city burnt out.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I think the tower in the background of stage 5 is one of these sacred trees. I can't find anything that matches the game layout more exactly so possibly not meant to be a specific one.

In fact the roman numerals were added in localisation - in Japanese the numbers for the stages as well as the numbers for the ability levels are written in a more traditional style and the localisation is using roman numerals as a stand-in for that. Unfortunately Japanese does represent 23 as 2-10-3, so II X III is what you end up with.

This might have been a compromise solution - if for whatever reason they weren't able to modify how ability levels are written out, they were at least able to make numbers up to 20 look correct since just using regular numerals would've given you 10 2 for 12.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Finally! A new boss type!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not even any blurry text to read.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The dialogue is repeated in the Japanese version too, yeah. Maybe they got a bit overeager with the copy-paste and copied the dialogue triggers back one iteration of that area.

Impressively terrible boss though. Makes me wonder if that's how you're intended to fight it, though it didn't seem like there were any alternatives.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Repeating the drat lift followed by that terrible boss is probably the most Tamsoft moment so far. Like, until now, I thought this game looked mediocre but not awful, but that didn't look even remotely fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Like a lot of low budget games this is passable execution spread out over the widest possible surface.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Finally! A new boss type!

I swear, those construction robots keep making me think of giant versions of the mousers from Ninja Turtles. Especially the ones you saw in some games that were being piloted by Foot Soldiers.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I refuse to believe this game is real.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Just looking at the bad guys animations I don't think they ever wanted you to one shot them. As I don't think they ever made an instant kill animation and it always had to go from headless to exploding.
I could be wrong of course.

Edit: Okay I was wrong. :v:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 29, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Military Alert!
Military Alert!

God this game had no idea what it wanted to be, huh? Going from "kill literally everyone" to "capture the enemy commander" and then you get to do neither...what a dumb ending. If there's a true ending, I can't imagine it's much more satisfying. And having to pay for a bunch of missions afterwards is not great either.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The true ending appears to be accessed by beating the game as Nadeshiko, who is the blue roboty one you won't remember from the title screen background. I have no idea how she's unlocked.

I'm only working off one video here where they didn't show the settings menu so I'm not sure if this is a difference from playing on hard or playing as Nadeshiko but in the final level they when you're up against the commander, you still get the soldiers running in from the walkways while that fight is going on.

On defeating her second form Nadeshiko looks the commander up (in her internal database I guess) and identifies her as Sakura. Her saying this sends Sakura off into her third form, which is basically the first form again (sword) but more aggressive.

After this, in a shocking twist it's revealed by Sakura that the person who came up with the English game title may actually have had access to the story because Sakura, Hana and Kiku are sisters*, Nadeshiko's "daughters" (I don't know how this works). Nadeshiko basically says 'bzzt...children...sisters...I have no record of this...no record...I...I...' and Sakura says 'mother...why?' and dies. Nadeshiko says 'unclear...unclear...unclear' and then the level ends, which is almost less satisfying than Sakura just teleporting away.

Also it unlocks a bonus level which is a long sewer-type level with a bunch of tough enemies that ends with you (Nadeshiko) fighting Hana.

* not that this explains 'dragon' still

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Polsy posted:

Also it unlocks a bonus level which is a long sewer-type level with a bunch of tough enemies that ends with you (Nadeshiko) fighting Hana.

A sewer level as a bonus. Amazing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think Nadeshiko created them. She may be the mad scientist type who makes weapons for the military.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Remember, son, you can only shoot once every few seconds!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

My Japanese is a little rusty but I'm pretty sure beekarii translates to bakery

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

HardDiskD posted:

:vince:

I love how the "pigeons" were rocking out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, the concept for this game is very cute, and I agree that a version with a proper budget would be great. Hell, it even has some degree of internal logic here - you can't fly above the stores to get to the parking lot because, even if you're controlling a plane, you're still a kid, the kid can't just jump over the store and can't control the RC plane if they can't see it.

It still looks like it controls kind of awkwardly and the lack of camera control isn't great, but I like this game in concept at least.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
I didn't expect a toy helicopter game to escalate that quickly. The first video's barely over and we are already retreading Fire Heroes with morbidly relaxed music :stare:

The random portraits look surprisingly crisp for a game of this budget, though!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks much better than the RC helicopter mission in San Andreas.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The sign in the field says:

NO ENTRY
No entry without permission
-- D3 Real Estate

so I guess the town committee woman wants to keep the town clean but also not have to (personally) trespass on a vacant lot.

Also the people in the tower are making the 'ok' gesture - since in Japan the standard iconography for good/ok/correct is a circle and bad/wrong is a cross you'll see people making circle/cross gestures with their arms in situations where they can't speak/can't be heard.

Kind of dark for the game to imply they died/suffered smoke inhalation when you fail, they could've just had him say 'well, we still have time, try again'.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

HardDiskD posted:

Yeah, the characters in the second half of that sign are commonly used for foreign words and onomotopeas.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

When I learned Japanese I was told bakery translated to パン屋 (panya lit. bread store), not ベーカリー, though I suppose either works.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Using English words for style even when a Japanese equivalent exists is all over Japanese culture. Example, lots of places called 'Labo' even though they're definitely not actual labs and there's a perfectly servicable Japanese word for laboratory.