Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dabir posted:

Using English words for style even when a Japanese equivalent exists is all over Japanese culture. Example, lots of places called 'Labo' even though they're definitely not actual labs and there's a perfectly servicable Japanese word for laboratory.

Yeah, I've seen that in my country as well. It feels like, starting somewhere in the 80s, we have given up on even transforming English loanwords into native words, and just use the straight up English for a lot of neologisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Incidentally, did anyone ever figure out what the Cruelty stat in Dragon Girls was for?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Even in Japanese there's a very small number of pages on this subject but I think actually any of the charge attacks use that stat. Not sure exactly how that interacts with the strength stat.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Suddenly, an outbreak of sexy.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

SelenicMartian posted:

Suddenly, an outbreak of sexy.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The girl models were really unnerving

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
Somehow the game started with spraying water at animals and followed up with people dying in a fire and poolside sexy time. I wonder what was the thought process behind it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

HardDiskD posted:

When I learned Japanese I was told bakery translated to パン屋 (panya lit. bread store), not ベーカリー, though I suppose either works.

If it makes you feel any better,

Not sure I could read any of those library book covers even with a perfect unobstructed view but I'd guess they're intuitive if you know what school library books are likely to have on their covers.

Interestingly they did actually change the textures on the pictures of the old principals - the 1st/2nd/3rd etc markers were translated presumably because you actually need to interact with them to play the game. Unfortunately this Japanese playthrough of the game (seemingly the only full one on the internet) did not stop to look at the computer screen, but I'm pretty sure it's different even from the oblique angle as they flew past it.

Also it seems like there should indeed be audio, going by these videos. There were sound options in the menu, is there anything relevant there?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was the one who pointed out that it made sense you couldn't fly over buildings and it still makes sense you can fly out of the window. Panty Waste Hawk has been in perfect physical state his entire life. Even as a child, jumping off and into windows was just extremely easy to him.

I have far more questions about the P.E. graded tests though. Especially since somehow, every single one of his students got a 65%.

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

I'm no expert, but here in Australia the subject P.E. teachers actually teach is Health/P.E. so you have written tests for the Health part. My guess is that Japan is the same on that one.

Also I appreciate Pany Waste Hawk's and the neighborhood's commitment to solving everything with a radio helicopter at all costs. :v:

azren
Feb 14, 2011

"Kid plays with his rc helicopter around town" is not where I expected to find a palate of cheesecake, but here we are.

Mathwyn posted:

I'm no expert, but here in Australia the subject P.E. teachers actually teach is Health/P.E. so you have written tests for the Health part. My guess is that Japan is the same on that one.

We do this some in the US as well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Main game: shoot cats, shoot birds, grab and carry stuff, herd frogs.

Post game: :asoiaf:

Polsy, you're my only hope! What the gently caress was that level at the end???

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Again, not a great deal about this on the internet (there's more about the Simple 1500 PS1 equivalent, probably because you can still get that on Japanese PSN) but from what I can tell it's endless (challenge yourself!) and you should move on with your life.

Still no idea about the sound. There's a small number of other English youtube videos of this game, I wouldn't watch them any longer than you have to but they pretty clearly have the sound effects on. Chances are they're playing on emulator but it'd be surprising if that was the critical factor.

Also the store front you took a look at says 'コンビ II'. This is some classic low-effort Japanese punnery because the number two is pronounced 'ni', giving you 'konbini', which is what they call convenience stores.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shame you couldn't attack that arsonist.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That definitely feels like an endless mode with the pick-ups and non-upgraded helicopter.

It's hard to believe that the sequels could be even more Simple but I guess these games don't make money by trying too much.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

OK, just hypothetically speaking... How mad would you be, if 505 released and marketed your unrelated game as the sequel to a Simple 2000 title?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SelenicMartian posted:

OK, just hypothetically speaking... How mad would you be, if 505 released and marketed your unrelated game as the sequel to a Simple 2000 title?

Depends on how much effort was put in the game in the first place. If it was on the same level, sure, whatever. If it was a game with an actual budget, I'd sue.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Depends on how much effort was put in the game in the first place. If it was on the same level, sure, whatever. If it was a game with an actual budget, I'd sue.

Yeah, that sounds about right. If it seemed like it'd help my no-budget game and I didn't make it because I had a strong authorial vision, why not.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

For me, I think it'd depend on what I think the reaction would be (or what it actually is). Mostly I'd be both annoyed and amused, assuming everything was done above-board and I just have to accept that some people will find it bizarre. But if it's done in a way that reflects poorly on my work, for instance I see reviews saying, "this is a terrible sequel, none of the original characters are in it at all!" then I would be more upset & likely to pursue legal action.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
I'd be dying in poverty and gratitude, considering that what is being shown in this thread tend to leave a very lasting impression.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

*whipping sound*

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looking forward to a carrier mission where roaches take off from the deck of the USS Flagg.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can see how you'd fool someone into thinking this is a sequel to the previous Radio Helicopter. It does look good though, beyond the terrible hitboxes.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The parallels are kind of interesting though I guess there's only so much you can do with 'make a game out of a remote control helicopter'.

I think Mini mode does actually make your helicopter smaller (presumably making it harder to get stars but easier to get into small spaces with stars in them) - this is 'puchi' [petit] mode in the Japanese version, and since that version is titled Puchi Copter it makes me wonder if that was meant to be some kind of compelling feature. Either that or partially a joke on calling the game Mini Copter because RC helicopters are small, but what if they were even smaller.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Obviously there was some intense competition in the mid-2000 radio helicopter video game market and Simple wanted to make sure they cornered it through any means necessary.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Polsy posted:

I think Mini mode does actually make your helicopter smaller (presumably making it harder to get stars but easier to get into small spaces with stars in them) -

In some hilarious turn of fate, it's going to turn out that the normal sized helicopters already use the mini-sized hitbox for stars, and mini mode scales down the visual model so the star hitbox is now similar to it.

That, or mini mode will make things even harder.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 30, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Well, the mini mode does something, but it may be a trade-off.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's a surprising spike in difficulty between the last video and this one.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Huh, wasn't expecting mini mode to be more complex than 'it makes the helicopter smaller'.

But yeah it did cross my mind to wonder what settings they had on when they set the goal times. Particularly, that the 'simulation type' had an 'easy mode' - is that scored differently or does that just make it easier to get a full 100? (alternatively, is it actually not easier in any meaningful sense?)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is a lot of challenges and still have a way to go.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 2, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Like machine guns behind a propeller I know its basically impossible for intermeshed rotors to collide but it still freaks me out a little seeing stuff like that on real things.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Are we sure the two series are not related?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I was just about to say 'funny how much easier beating these levels becomes when you don't have to do precision star collecting', then you got to the end of the final level.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Flaming skulls are a fine step up from flying a RC copter into narrow openings.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Son, bring me some Aqua!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm left wondering what the Large Helicopter reward would be and how terrible its engine sound is.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It may be some two engine giant with two times the noise.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm left wondering what the Large Helicopter reward would be and how terrible its engine sound is.

A zepplin that plays Ride of The Valkyries chiptune that pitch shifts when you increase the throttle

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly I think these guys should be happy that their game got pushed into another series. This didn't even have terrible models of topless ladies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

We meet Joe Thompson, also known as Joe Member to his friends who flashbang him.

At least we got Death John off the streets, for now.