Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Wasn't expecting a game with (limited) stealth mechanics to let you get away with murder in the tutorial map when they literally instructed you to 'restrain' everyone but I guess you need to learn about that at some point.

As someone noted in the youtube comments the terrorists' helmets say 格差, disparity. This is commonly used as part of a phrase meaning social [class] disparity, presumably that's meant to be their agenda. Kind of surprised there isn't any flavour text in the mission descriptions where they could have put that but there's not much space to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Subway terrorist attack huh?

And you know, this isn't that much more awkward than SWAT 3 and 4 :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is joe Thompson the real name of panty waste hawk

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Awfully nice of them to have a big circle to show where they could be hiding.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HardDiskD posted:

Is joe Thompson the real name of panty waste hawk

Panty Waste Hawk wouldn't get himself flashbanged by his allies. This is just some random guy, not even a competent one.

The "Joe Member" thing is likely a mistranslation of 隊員 (-taiin), which would be used in this case for the characters (sans the captain) if Ultraman has taught me right. Referring to him as Joe-taiin there would be logical...but not so much translating it so literally.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

The "Joe Member" thing is likely a mistranslation of 隊員 (-taiin), which would be used in this case for the characters (sans the captain) if Ultraman has taught me right. Referring to him as Joe-taiin there would be logical...but not so much translating it so literally.

It's this, yeah. Having had a look they also westernised all the names, which seems unnecessary since the opening text already admitted this isn't America. Except maybe in the sense of 'will the Simple series-loving children know how to pronounce this?'

Joe Thompson is Joe [Jou] Toudou
Chris Beckett is Kouichi Nijou
Ray Saito is Reiji Saitou (he mostly gets to keep his name, for some reason)
Will Right is Tadashi Yagi

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought Joe was just some naming quirk Japan used in games. Like how you had the Joes in Mega Man or "Guy" in other games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fists, sniper rifles, scopes - which of these is the most useless?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Was that a park-like courtyard in the middle of the bank? It seemed like it was in an employee-only area, rather than like an atrium or something that would make sense.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I was thinking that maybe that the subway attack was just inspiration but with a religious cult taking over the streets I think invoking Aum was exactly what they were going for.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I guess you need to unlock tasers.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

How to gently caress up stealth game level design: an illustrated guide.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That call system has to be that awful on purpose, right?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I hesitate to say this game has strengths but if it did, massive open level is definitely not playing to them.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Your reward for beating the castle: beating the castle again and again.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, you get the feeling they weren't just trying to bang out something completely minimum effort, the levels are (mostly) not completely featureless, so you have to wonder if they had bigger plans. Ah well, Simple series...

The (not) Riho Futaba poster was for Simple game Yakuza Fury, which had completely different box art in the EU release. There was also a poster for Splatter Master, which had slightly different box art.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They might not be good at their jobs, but they would be welcomed into the EDF.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Polsy posted:

Yeah, you get the feeling they weren't just trying to bang out something completely minimum effort, the levels are (mostly) not completely featureless, so you have to wonder if they had bigger plans. Ah well, Simple series...

The (not) Riho Futaba poster was for Simple game Yakuza Fury, which had completely different box art in the EU release. There was also a poster for Splatter Master, which had slightly different box art.

I'm going to say that almost by definition they did not have bigger plans :v:

This is just too complicated an idea to make a satisfying game on a low budget.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Do you remember Sara?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

They seem to have forgotten to put any kind of downside in for using a special so I imagine it just turns into endless special vs special and the winner is the one who does a better job of guessing when to block.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Do you remember Sara?

Wonderful! I have a morbid fascination for cheesecake fighting games like this. They're just so ridiculous.

Massive bullshit difficulty spike, though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Boxing is never exciting and I don't know why people like it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That game seems to occasionally have a very weird definition of "down." Unless real boxing has a count for being "out" on your feet or whatever.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The Japanese side saw initial easy success, until the US Lightnings, along with the Hurricanes and Typhoons, brought an end to their advances.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

How many times can I get it wrong in a Yes/No quiz?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, this doesn't seem like the kind of game where you can just push through the language barrier. At least they give you the right tools for each procedure so you don't end up giving a root canal to the 9-year-old who came in for cleaning (I presume you were just meant to sponge less vigorously in her case).

The 'objective' is probably to reach the highest rank as determined by filling in the stat stars (treatment skill, customer service, sales, interior design, staff, market growth) so definitely a management sim ultimately. Maybe you get to hire a dentist at some point and spare yourself having to do the actual work.

Appreciating the dialogue options, anyway.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tanks go boom - I can understand that.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Honestly this looks kinda fun.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Best Simple 2000 game? Looks like it so far.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Btw the kana that shows the kanji pronunciation is called furigana.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

How many times can I get it wrong in a Yes/No quiz?

Oh Jesus Christ, why does this have to exist!? Thank goodness they're all so cartoony.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

An army of the purple bosses would be quite a sight.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ah, level 3 at 5000 exp, a mere 12.5x increase. Though, you get there pretty quickly once the screen's constantly full of enemies to destroy.

Apparently thinkarts' final effort was as the developer for a a Square-Enix iPod RPG* that you've probably never heard of. Better to remember them for this game.

* also the en wikipedia page doesn't credit them, but the jp one does

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Tank Girl seems really proud of her midriff.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

With only 3 chapters, it's not an epic quest, but still blows dentistry out of the water.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Commentary seems to be a few seconds behind the video (not the game audio, just the voice commentary)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It gets weird when a longer video is cut and spliced out of several. I think I synced up by sound effects caught by my mike in the beginning, and then in the middle the explosions were desynced.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That orange mech thing reminds me of the robot you pilot in the old NES game Metal Mech. Been a while since I though of that game!

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Audio seemed to clear up after a few more minutes so not so bad, it just started off a bit off.

Disappointed with the beam cannon, I had a look for some parts info earlier and I thought it sounded pretty good, but I guess not so much. The beam blade (screen-wide laser) is what you get for beating Expert, apparently, but I guess they just give you everything if you do Hell first.

This thing I found actually contains a full list of parts per stage (https://www.logsoku.com/r/2ch.net/handygame/1202026721/ID:q4L7nZev0) but the most important thing is that there are additional bonuses if you finish with over 300 seconds remaining - possibly that's what you're missing. Maybe try rushing a stage or two and see if anything happens (also you get to give the 'faster tank' parts a nice outing)

コンテナ is containers, 隠しコンテナ is hidden containers (I presume parts that are inside crates) and クリアタイムボーナス is the clear/time bonus parts.

e: on review you get both of the "regular" containers in your first video in 1-1 despite one of the fully visible containers needing the jump jets, so I'm not sure what hidden means in this context. Maybe 'containers that you can't get trivially'.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Gonna guess my way through the plot of this one.

I'm quite certain there's at least one Mexican in the story, and that our character is a thief.