Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

who the gently caress shoves a talking dog of apparent human-level intellect in a taped-up box with no air holes or anything? ...

Look, even if he is a robo-dog, the Bomb Busters could scrape together a couple of credits for a carrier or something :argh:

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The other dog name options were 'dirty', 'useless' and 'big forehead' so most likely you correctly picked the only one that actually works. Also yeah he's a cyborg dog, as you (again) correctly called him shortly after opening the box.

The first bomb turned out to be a setup for your bomb defusal exam, which is why everyone is so blasé about it.

Seems like an extremely unserious adventure game so it's probably a decent amount of fun between minor puzzles, if you can read it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was expecting them to freeze the bomb at some point.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This game is on fire.

But this update covers 90% of its content.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Me watching, when the game is starting the level with the girl: "Hey it's anime, but at least she's wearing firefighter gear, they can't possibly do something silly like put her in a pink uniform"

:cripes: at least the heart in the air tank is cute

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It could have been more anime with fire demons and/or firebending.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm guessing that "BB" stands for "Bomb Busters," but I don't know.

Also, I'm pretty sure ”バート” (Baato) should be "Bart." I don't speak enough of the language to tell you for sure, but that's my guess from what I do know.

edit: Also, green fire usually suggests copper, I believe. :science:

azren fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 10, 2020

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

azren posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure ”バート” (Baato) should be "Bart." I don't speak enough of the language to tell you for sure, but that's my guess from what I do know.

Surprised to discover the official site, which a) exists and b) is still up (https://www.d3p.co.jp/bakudan/, needs Flash) doesn't additionally name everyone in English, but I imagine so. It does confirm the dog's name is definitely Dino and the other options are jokes, though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is it just me that thinks the D3 logo looks really, uh, suspect, considering all the Rita Futaba titles?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You mean like a :stonk:?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

No, really, what other things would you use a radio helicopter for?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

To be fair, if I had a radio helicopter, and be skilled enough to pilot it indoors and not immediately crash, I would be using it for all kinds of stupid poo poo too.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
GTA had some interesting ideas on RC toys.
Nintendo recently made use of a car for racing in the house. Maybe they will do something about helicopters.

I always wanted to control boats that fire water.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't believe Arc System Works was involved in this thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That tank game looked pretty neat. Metal Slug custom tank platforming thing? Why not.

Firefighters and even more radio helicopters though, pretty typical stuff.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Metropolismania 2 keeps asking the hard questions, like "why do we have the police but no schools" and "what's your fetish."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A shame it is too small for something like Streets of Sim City or Sim Copter gameplay. Something they also don't have is alternate modes of transport like trains.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's really weird to release a sequel and make it more annoying to play instead of improving on quality of life stuff at the very least, but here we are I guess. Letting you customize your character and get a house is cute but the stamina meter feels like it's there entirely because they thought the game wasn't challenging enough or something when it looks very slow to begin with.

Good that now the characters are interested in your fetishes though. That's immersive gameplay right there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

GDF! GDF! GDF!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

This game feels a lot like a WWII game I used to play on Sega Saturn called Iron Storm. Haven't thought of that game in a while.

edit: I'm very disappointed that they don't have the dying bug scream that at least some of the games have. Or the voice acting. Especially the voice acting.

azren fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 5, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It reminds me of Super Conflict. The missions tend to be short since you kill the flag unit without fog of war making things tense. I think I finished a mission on the opening turn at one point by blitzing it. Running out of fuel just means you move one space and you almost never experience that with short missions. This looks to be better than Super Conflict. E! D! F!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just don't get what they were thinking with the battle animations. This is the worst way to do this, I swear. Compare to Super Robot Wars or Fire Emblem, and how they do battles, it's night and day. Having generic clips that never interact with each other and blatantly cut from one to another is really bad and really boring.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Not to mention the loading times.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you got the assets you got to use them.

I guess this was still pretty early on in the EDF life so they hadn't quite locked into the do nothing but shoot waves of giant insects game yet.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Punk mammoths! Organic food! Village idols!
Darwin has all of that and more.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This game seems... competent for this series?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Pretty sure the opening text is supposed to say 'A natural disaster will strike the village...no, the whole planet will be destroyed' but I guess they were having trouble and fell back on the meteor-looking image in the background. Certainly makes more sense for why they desperately need to evolve and don't just like, move the village somewhere else.

Also, curious decision to transliterate this as 'Bunki Field' and ignore the English text which is right there.

Space Kablooey posted:

This game seems... competent for this series?

Yeah, seems like it at least basically works the way you'd expect, which is more than you can say for some. Pathfinding isn't going to win any awards but that's a pretty common problem, especially for 2006.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looks like a combination of Pikmin gameplay and Overlord buildings.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I also noticed that everything seems to respawn whenever you leave, minus any permanent upgrade like yellow stars and the axe. Makes it really easy to farm things once you have a handful Pikmin I mean Warriors.

Basic game play, but for the time, it was something. Though from the sounds of it the game is only a few hours long if you blitz and play well/right/efficiently.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

When I saw the marker for the day/night cycle, I was terrified that this was going to have a time limit on it. Glad that doesn't seem to be the case.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
I actually used to really enjoy this game when I was younger! (mainly because I had a PS2 so no Pikman for me).

It got a name change to "the Adventures of Darwin" when it came over to NA. Not sure of any other differences other than language...

I never actually managed to beat it.... Are you planning to play further to at least see the final boss where you fight God?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Your new podcast kicks rear end, by the way.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

EasilyConfused posted:

Your new podcast kicks rear end, by the way.

Yeah, I just had a listen and this 100x

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:kimchi:

Will exploring a cave turn monkeys into cavemen?

Or will the game say a new word in evolution theory?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Now you have hairless apes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Now you have hairless apes.

A step back if you ask me.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Polsy, why is it a mouse? Why is it a mouse?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those minions are doing much better than an Overlord's.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mice were originally nothing but tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Polsy, why is it a mouse? Why is it a mouse?

I really can't explain giant mouse, unless the person reading the text was very tired. It's 大ミミズ - giant earthworm. If it was giant mouse, it would be 大ネズミ, which has some of the same letters, but in a different order.

'Founding bird' is more-or-less correct in a literal translation sense, except this is usually read as archaeopteryx, in the 'the origin of birds' sense.