Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

:siren: https://twitter.com/DannyWittenberg/status/1275346870831808512?s=20 :siren:

Background

On October the 9th 2019 the greatest tweet in the history of twitter was sent

https://twitter.com/ColeenRoo/status/1181864136155828224?s=20

Coleen Rooney set up the craftiest of traps to find our who among her friends was the snake leaking personal stories to the sun. The final line of that post will go down in history.

Vardy denied she had anything to do with the leaks and claimed it must have been someone with access to her instagram account. She has gone on to claim she was hospitalised with stress following the mocking that occurred that great day. Now she has moved to sue Rooney for defamation and is seeking £1m damages.

The Parties

Rebekah Vardy

Wife of Leicester and England Striker Jamie and represented by Kingsley Napley, Vardy is claiming that Rooney's tweet slanders and defames her.

Coleen "Wagatha Christie" Rooney

Represented by Brabners she is a fellow loose woman and wife of former united star Wayne. Her tweet clearly had some input from a lawyer as it is very careful to say account vs point the finger at vardy herself but will that be enough for the courts?

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ground floor of what is sure to be a tasty court battle

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the tweet that gave us our current forum name, can't wait to see the tasty court developments

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I don’t know how this works in england other than a bunch of clowns in wigs (Antonio Conte????) argue but I have a feeling this will be settled for a small but not insignificant sum out of court.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gigi Galli posted:

I don’t know how this works in england other than a bunch of clowns in wigs (Antonio Conte????) argue but I have a feeling this will be settled for a small but not insignificant sum out of court.

They've already failed mediation OP but you could still be right.

I just want a Chernobyl style court room explanation of how vardy got caught

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 24, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

mbisonyes

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gigi Galli posted:

other than a bunch of clowns in wigs (Antonio Conte????)

:ms:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Shame these forums will be dead and buried before we find out the outcome

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Shame these forums will be dead and buried before we find out the outcome

Yeah rips

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Vardy denied she had anything to do with the leaks and claimed it must have been someone with access to her instagram account.

Sticking to the ol' "my account was hacked" defence I see

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

ground floor of what is sure to be a tasty court battle

Pretty sure you can't say that word.

Edit. misread

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Day 1 of court was yesterday with highly paid lawyers dissecting what it's...... Rebekah Vardys account actually means

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I can't believe I earn money by doing actual work, what an idiot I am.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Pretty sure you can't say that word.

Edit. misread

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Have they reached a decision in this gripping tale of skullduggery and deceit

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Have they reached a decision in this gripping tale of skullduggery and deceit

Nope!

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/coleen-rooney-brands-rebekah-vardys-900k-legal-budget-grotesque-12247545

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

quick, reopen the lookalikes thread

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this was in court today. Actual trial doesn't start until later this year though

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...re_iOSApp_Other

quote:

Rebekah Vardy said she would “love” to leak stories about Coleen Rooney to the media, according to messages disclosed at the high court.

The court filings suggest that Vardy and her former agent Caroline Watt had an ongoing relationship with reporters at the Sun newspaper and discussed at length how to leak stories to the tabloid.

The filings also show that Vardy described Rooney as a “nasty bitch” and a “oval office” who “needs to get over herself” in private messages disclosed at a court hearing on Tuesday.

Discussing this post, Watt allegedly acknowledged a role in providing information to the Sun, according to messages disclosed to the court: “Such a victim. Poor Coleen … And it wasn’t someone she trusted. It was me.”

The duo also raised concerns that Rooney increasingly suspected Vardy of leaking to the media and had unfollowed her on Instagram. Watt suggested that if any issues were raised they would claim that “one of the girls in the office has my old laptop that had your passwords saved on it, so it will have been them”.

At one point, according to the messages, Vardy says she has no idea how Rooney would ever know who was responsible for providing information “unless halls [Sun journalist Andy Halls] has leaked it”.

Vardy also complained that the Sun was not buying her photographs, telling Watt “we still need to make money” and suggesting they contact senior executives at the newspaper.

Some of the private messages relating to the case are missing, for a variety of unfortunate reasons. Vardy’s former agent said her mobile phone was accidentally dropped in the North Sea shortly after Rooney’s lawyers requested access to the device.

“Coincidentally, around the same time, all media files from Mrs Vardy’s WhatsApp conversation with Ms Watt also bizarrely disappeared (and from all backups), whilst apparently in the process of exporting it to her solicitors,” said Rooney’s lawyers.

Jamie Vardy, the Leicester City striker, also said that his “WhatsApp was hacked and all conversations were deleted and could not be restored”, while declining to allow Rooney’s lawyers to examine his phone. The laptop used by Vardy during the crucial period also “no longer functions”, while messages between Rebekah Vardy and Halls appear to have been deleted.

The disclosures suggests Vardy and Watt had repeated conversations about about stories going to the Sun. At one point they discussed whether to provide the newspaper with a story about an England footballer who had a secret child as a result of an affair. A month later the Sun ran a story with the headline “Married England ace has lovechild”.

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1491023015823380490?s=20&t=3ekzTsIbxyS5XVE9fpYALA

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Lmao at the phone ending up in the sea

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
wow sounds like the Vardy family have had some really bad luck with their electronic devices, what a shame

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imagine having to do tech support for these people and their circles, just tragically clumsy all around

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Rebekah Vardy sounds like a trip.

Do they do "adverse inference" in the UK when relevant evidence disappears after requests for production?

And this is almost certainly going to be a jury trial, right?

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Reading the BBC article on this earlier, it seems like its being commonly referred to as "Wagatha Christie" now. Maybe I'm going crazy, but I was sure that originated here.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Myssu posted:

Reading the BBC article on this earlier, it seems like its being commonly referred to as "Wagatha Christie" now. Maybe I'm going crazy, but I was sure that originated here.

I'm pretty sure here was the first place I saw it too.

There's also this, from The Mirror. Can't remember if we don't like the Mirror here or not so here's the quote from the article.

quote:

The man who coined the phrase Wagatha Christie which has taken the internet by storm says he's been offered a knighthood and even had a marriage proposal.

Dad-of-two Dan Atkinson can be unmasked as the guy behind the hilarious pun after Coleen Rooney's showdown with Rebekah Vardy over the leaking of private - fake - information to the press.

The 39-year-old was also asked to become Prime Minister and received calls he should land this week’s £170million EuroMillions jackpot.

Dan tweeted the phrase on Wednesday at 11.15am, just 45 minutes after Coleen dropped her bombshell allegations.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Fair enough, that was a solid 6 hours ahead of Our Lewis.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Lmao at the phone ending up in the sea

This made me lol because of the specifics. Im imagining some wildly dressed up jewel encrusted woman throwing a phone off the side of an arctic ice crusher.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

So the initial Instagram thing wasn't a crime, obviously. Then Vardy sues for libel, which starts a whole civil investigation. Then they could have just let the investigation play out and just had to pay out costs for losing the case, since it wasn't libel. But now with the whole evidence destruction, does this become a criminal thing?

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

Oh no, all the evidence is mysteriously unavailable. Checkmate, lawyers

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I don't understand why you would sue for libel then destroy all evidence that you actually were doing what you have denied in such an obvious manner.

Rebekah Vardy is supposed to be a wrong'un though, apparently Jamie Vardy barely speaks to his family anymore due to her influence.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
*Very serious lawyer in a majestic decades old court* yes your honour, sadly her phone fell into the north sea. at the same time her whatsapp was hacked and all her messages deleted from the servers. and if that was not enough, mr vardy's whatsapp was then also hacked and all messages deleted, after which his laptop broke. a very unfortunate run of events.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I don't understand why you would sue for libel then destroy all evidence that you actually were doing what you have denied in such an obvious manner.

Rebekah Vardy is supposed to be a wrong'un though, apparently Jamie Vardy barely speaks to his family anymore due to her influence.

him and mike hoffman sure know how to pick them

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Latest evidence in this is that Vardy leaked Drinkwater's drink driving crash to The Sun via her agent wanting a payday but they already knew about it. Sounds lovely.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Tragically vardy has suffered yet more technical trouble as the IT expert she employed to recover her messages encrypted all the data then lost the password

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
People involved in lawsuits with this stuff should be fined regardless of the outcome for wasting time, like when the judge told off Jack Monroe in the Katie Hopkins case because she had mass deleted tweets prior to the court case.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1520033132770217985

"her PR",, ok suuuuuuure

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Her PR also chucked her phone with the incriminating WhatsApp messages into the sea, lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The trial finally starts today

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
going well
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1524047457801457667

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

How can you not post the best quote?

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1524042864484880384?t=vdzodsCgzMZfH-FklkfrFw&s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Poor Peter Andre (whoever he is).