Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

What's Andy Hamilton doing next to Coleen Rooney?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Think he's meant to be testifying today so looking forward to more lovingly rendered potato goblins

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How do you even spend the best part of a million quid and this is the case you make?

Very carefully

EDIT: :iiam:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
if i were an extremely expensive barrister i would learn how instagram works

https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1526141441403244544?s=20&t=MBlFE9leJWav4E1a7wEcNA

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

With how it's affecting her husband's form I hope the Vardy trial goes on for years

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Blasmeister posted:

With how it's affecting her husband's form I hope the Vardy trial goes on for years

He's still playing? I thought he was just managing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

He's still playing? I thought he was just managing.

Am I being wooshed

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I believe I am the one who didn't get the joke.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

I believe I am the one who didn't get the joke.

I'm not sure there even was one?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How do you even spend the best part of a million quid and this is the case you make?

If you're spending that kind of money, you've either got an airtight case or no case at all.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Honest question:

What was the best case scenario in Rebekkah Vardy's mind?

The judge goes, "Well clearly you weren't the one that leaked the Rooney stuff. We have definitively proved that. And by falsely claiming that it was you, Mrs. Rooney maliciously damaged your character, which was previously lily white and blameless. She now has to give you a million pounds and say sorry."

None of that is going to happen. None of it. And none of it was likely to happen. If she had left it alone after being busted leaking the poo poo about the Rooneys, all that would have happened is that she and Colleen would no longer be friends, and that would be that. The world would move on.

But now, she and Colleen aren't friends, or likely to ever be again, AND she is spending buckets of money to have a court show that she probably did the thing she is claiming she didn't do. (A thing that wasn't illegal in the first place.) And have her reputation damaged even further by an actual court of law, (as opposed to bullshit tabloid gossip that she is suing because of).

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

BrigadierSensible posted:

Honest question:

wags aren't much smarter than footballers, surprising but true

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Best case scenario (and the plan all along) is for Rebekah Vardy to keep her name in the papers for as long as possible to get as many magazine interviews / day time tv appearances as possible followed by ghost writing a dreadful book

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Honest question:

The judge goes, "Well clearly you weren't the one that leaked the Rooney stuff. We have definitively proved that. And by falsely claiming that it was you, Mrs. Rooney maliciously damaged your character, which was previously lily white and blameless. She now has to give you a million pounds and say sorry."

Under English libel law the burden of proof is on Rooney to prove that Vardy did it which is why there's been such a focus on demonstrating that there was a pattern of her leaking stories via her agent whereas Vardy merely needs to throw her agent under the bus. So she could still win the case but has trashed her reputation further with only the messages that didn't end up in the North sea

Also
https://twitter.com/jlsinc/status/1526157479867973636?t=OWaiCqtngbFL_zdU6MFcnQ&s=19

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 17, 2022

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Under English libel law the burden of proof is on Rooney to prove that Vardy did it which is why there's been such a focus on demonstrating that there was a pattern of her leaking stories via her agent whereas Vardy merely needs to throw her agent under the bus. So she could still win the case but has trashed her reputation further with only the messages that didn't end up in the North sea

Also
https://twitter.com/jlsinc/status/1526157479867973636?t=OWaiCqtngbFL_zdU6MFcnQ&s=19

So, lets say she does win. The courts say "She can't prove it was you that done the leaking." What then?

Does Mrs Rooney have to pay damages? How much? Could the court reasonably go, (as has been suggested before), "You won. We are awarding damages of 1 pound, and she doesn't have to pay any legal fees."? Or if Vardy wins does she automatically get a payout?

Forgive my stupid questions and ignorance of UK law.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think I heard legal fees payable by the other party are capped and typical awards in such cases are not in the league of the fees paid in this case. So even if Vardy wins (which is apparently likely/not crazy which shows how shite our libel laws are after this shitshow) she'll still be out half a million or something.

Which sounds to me like a lot of magazine deals and whatever needed to come out ahead.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think I heard legal fees payable by the other party are capped and typical awards in such cases are not in the league of the fees paid in this case. So even if Vardy wins (which is apparently likely/not crazy which shows how shite our libel laws are after this shitshow) she'll still be out half a million or something.

Which sounds to me like a lot of magazine deals and whatever needed to come out ahead.

I heard this twice, so intentionly made this exact post twice, apparently.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/poppyeh/status/1526517952933249030?s=20&t=1DWTWDsI-UbX33YemEVIzA

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The evidence!

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1526528187479490571?s=20&t=06soJ6ml3m56vUGUpZhPpw

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Bunch of messages between Vardy and her agent for released and imo it's not exactly what you'd want if trying to prove your innocence

Thread with them
https://twitter.com/kirkkorner/status/1526517947530887172?t=IwiFXSAdn5NXi3m0y6YqvA&s=19

Can't get more explicit than this!
https://twitter.com/kirkkorner/status/1526518003604627457?t=v0KbuVQbM3SDr8nUbKUEXg&s=19

Reaction to the wagatha post where her agent says to claim other people had access to the account
https://twitter.com/kirkkorner/status/1526518012790067200?t=KcIPidOuOoP8APqaBNoMWQ&s=19

If you read the whole thread where they discuss the possibility Rooney is trying to catch who's leaking and still go on and do it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
imo if I were Rebecca Vardy and I was trying to fight a case where I was accused of loving to leak stories about Colleen Rooney, I would not like the court to see my text message where I wrote about Colleen Rooney: "Would love to leak those stories x"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Not much to add except: lmao

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I mean it's no wonder Wayne kept getting caught

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

vyelkin posted:

imo if I were Rebecca Vardy and I was trying to fight a case where I was accused of loving to leak stories about Colleen Rooney, I would not like the court to see my text message where I wrote about Colleen Rooney: "Would love to leak those stories x"

She’s the plaintiff!!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bunch of messages between Vardy and her agent for released and imo it's not exactly what you'd want if trying to prove your innocence

That woman is a complete sociopath

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Also

So is there no spoliation of evidence argument Rooney can make under UK law? I imagine there has to be because otherwise you're basically incentivizing all parties to civil litigation to destroy evidence and turn the document disclosure process into a complete farce (as opposed to a partial one).

EDIT:

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 17, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Mods rename me Wazzaroon08

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1526620279618904064?t=T6YJQFHlzd_dDfVNgtuRIA&s=19

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

What's Tenant's Dr Who doing there

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Wayne is pissed that Jamie is a little bitch too scared to put it up on record in court.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TheRat posted:

That woman is a complete sociopath
Here I was thinking moron was the better word for her

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Was Vardy being paid by the tabloids she was leaking the stories to? X amount per story, a bonus if the story is salacious etc.

I can't see any tabloid buying a story off her, or her agent now. Which maybe has cut off a valuable revenue stream for her.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Was Vardy being paid by the tabloids she was leaking the stories to?

yes

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Your honour my client is too loving dumb to have done this

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1527285868486008832?t=QJTJQi2pxxRpGmd1cJB8pg&s=19

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

There’s really no newer opinion on evidence spoliation?

EDIT: or just a non-lawyer reporting on a case and taking the most spicy angle he can find?

EDIT 2: And a little nugget on what a waste of money this has been for everyone...

https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1527268325444788224

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 19, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I just still dont get where the million(s) quid has gone?

you could of got james cameron to go down and fetch the loving phone for that?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I just still dont get where the million(s) quid has gone?

you could of got james cameron to go down and fetch the loving phone for that?

Anything on it was unrecoverable after about a day at best

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/c1arke23/status/1527277448534327296

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
Justice Steyn is expected to publish her ruling on the case tomorrow.