Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Did any of y'all keep up with that cyrano thread, because it got loving hilarious around page 18

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931083&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18

imagine thinking arfjason is a bad poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

why are you talking about forums drama in the Simpsons thread?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Did any of y'all keep up with that cyrano thread, because it got loving hilarious around page 18

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3931083&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=18

oh yeah I was reading every page. that harry potter photoshop was dope as hell.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Yeah, it got a bit cheerleader-y at points though.

Overall, a very . . . . interesting . . . thread!

Nobody ever did answer if a QCS thread had ever been goldmined before.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

imagine thinking arfjason is a bad poster

:yeah:

it's more common than you think, and these people are wrong!

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Garfield and Friends was a documentary

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

an actual dog posted:

why are you talking about forums drama in the Simpsons thread?

That Simpsons episode where Moe the Bartender listened to a drunk patron from Shelbyville go on and on and on about how Muslims were inherently evil and said "good points, my friend, why can't all my patrons be as well-spoken as you" was pretty weird.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

holy poo poo that arf post lmao

ive never seen a thread come together in unity in enjoying good posts so quickly like that

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 2, 2020

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreylad posted:

ive never seen a thread come together in unity in enjoying good posts so quickly like that

it truly is magnificent. :discourse:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Dreylad posted:

somebody buy Arf a CSPAM account

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/7ah0X95.mp4

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this is the episode with the Rear Window parody where Bart thinks Flanders killed Maude so yea it's tru

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i honest to god hadn't watched an episode of the simpsons in probably 5 years but started season 3 last night. Just incredible content

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Well, speaking for myself, I was a totally bananas pro-war neocon when I was younger. There's no real way to "atone" for that, like "I was a bad person and now I'm a good person." All you can really do is engage in political work -- I think you have a sense of what some of that has been from my posts here. One thing that Cyrano has done since then that is cool is making a thread in that sub to track racist and fascist stuff in the gun industry, which IMO matters:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894692
I'm not caught up on the thread but if the "well-cited" racist screed Cyrano was applauding was about black-on-black violence you would (I hope) be much less inclined to carry water for him, which you should seriously reflect on. Trying to defend Cyrano on this for any reason means you are AT BEST terminally inclined to defend your modmin pals which is how this whole shitshow began, but it also seems likely that you just plain do not understand what's so virulently offensive and toxic about the screed in question.

Also it was from 2017 so "lmao"

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

yea if it was like 2010 fair enough people can change a lot in ten years, but it was 2017 which is very much 'current era'

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i don't think he should be permabanned like some people are calling for, but I've interacted with the guy a few times online back when we were both doing our phds in history so i'm sympathetic

it's a major fuckup, no doubt

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
there's some good poo poo in that cyrano thread. homeless snail's post made me lol. but here's something from there more related to the thread topic

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

we are presently living in the year 4 PE

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Quetzadilla posted:

I'm not caught up on the thread but if the "well-cited" racist screed Cyrano was applauding was about black-on-black violence you would (I hope) be much less inclined to carry water for him, which you should seriously reflect on. Trying to defend Cyrano on this for any reason means you are AT BEST terminally inclined to defend your modmin pals which is how this whole shitshow began, but it also seems likely that you just plain do not understand what's so virulently offensive and toxic about the screed in question.

Also it was from 2017 so "lmao"

I wasn't joking when I kept saying Cyrano should at least go back and write a better apology. I think he made TFR a lot better so it's super embarrassing that the dude can't use those skills to come back, make a better apology, and have an actual dialogue with people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ymvD6yW1U

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

oxsnard posted:

i honest to god hadn't watched an episode of the simpsons in probably 5 years but started season 3 last night. Just incredible content

seasons 1 and 2 are also fantastic

season 1 is strange and dreamlike and really nails some of the casual dark humor. homer tries to kill himself by tying a big rock to his body and lugs it all the way to a bridge, then gets pissed when he notices an equally large rock is already there, marge gets drunk as poo poo at the company picnic. the tell tale head is, of course, iconic

season 2 has a wealth of emotionally resonant episodes with some great gags, that episode old money is a really sincere look into grandpa's life - "discount lion safari!" always makes me laugh, the war of the simpsons does a good job squaring up to how homer is a lovely husband but is ultimately redeemed because of his unwavering devotion to marge, bart gets hit by a car does this as well when homer forgives marge for blowing the million dollar scam, One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish is a great look at mortality, both bart gets and F and barts dog gets an F show bart in this panicked, vulnerable state that works really well in the narrative and pays off big time at the end

a lot of stories in early simpsons episodes have this redemptive arc that is lacking in later seasons where even though they are lovely, they are able to tap into the sublime and transcend their shittiness, giving hope to us, the viewers, that we too may transcend our shittiness. this scene from the end of the season 5 episode homer loves flanders really encapsulates this concept and is touching while also being hilarious

https://i.imgur.com/DpD3m4k.mp4

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I wasn't joking when I kept saying Cyrano should at least go back and write a better apology. I think he made TFR a lot better so it's super embarrassing that the dude can't use those skills to come back, make a better apology, and have an actual dialogue with people.

:agreed:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gumball Gumption posted:

yeah, if he can drop the whole “it was my first day!” defense and acknowledge why it was so loving toxic, I’d be fine with him getting demoted to mod of TFR with an embarrassing av. I think it’s an important observation that his reaction probably would’ve been very different if it was a screed against black people or gay people rather than Muslims.

in cases like this, I can see why an accused mod/admin wouldn’t engage with what they consider (wrongly) to be a “lynch mob”, but there needs to be better communication and dialogue rather than silence, silence, quitting the forums altogether. that doesn’t benefit anyone, and that unresponsive pattern is one of the basic reasons why things keep
escalating to “lynch mob” level before anything changes.

also the grimes episode is crack-ping: the episode, it’s amazing.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

the only thing giving me pause is that he apparently made tfr much better, but poo poo like that is bad and it requires a heartfelt apology and he should lose his stars imo

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Wheeee posted:

yea if it was like 2010 fair enough people can change a lot in ten years, but it was 2017 which is very much 'current era'

Yeah to put this in its contemporary context since calendars are meaningless, this all went down 6 months AFTER Trump's Muslim travel ban.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

dex_sda posted:

the only thing giving me pause is that he apparently made tfr much better, but poo poo like that is bad and it requires a heartfelt apology and he should lose his stars imo

yeah but this isn't a video game where your good karma points balance out your bad karma points

it's like the "well X poster makes good effort posts sometimes" defense for when they're making terrible lovely posts attacking people, I don't care about their good acts if the bad acts are bad enough

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

WampaLord posted:

yeah but this isn't a video game where your good karma points balance out your bad karma points

it's like the "well X poster makes good effort posts sometimes" defense for when they're making terrible lovely posts attacking people, I don't care about their good acts if the bad acts are bad enough

Sure, but making amends is a thing. I'm just saying if he made any effort to apologise I wouldn't call for a perma

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I don't get you guys saying someone can't improve in 3 years, Hitler went from the worst monster in history to pretty neutral in like a second.

That Cyrano post was , at best, the world worst bait, but hell, strip his adminship and let him keep modding tfr, if people there agree.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I don't think hitler committing suicide was in any way making amends my man lmfao

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

it's almost like the former fyad posters arent acting entirely in good faith or something

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i got suspended from twitter for saying the word "gently caress" in an argument about the German SPD's culpability for siccing the freikorps on the KPD / Spartacists and i don't know where to whine about it except for a chat thread. i can't discern what does or does not constitute targeted harassment, is it just any time you're impolite

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I hate to have to keep doing this but #notallfyads, though there are quite a few disingenous ones in qcs

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Frog Act posted:

i got suspended from twitter for saying the word "gently caress" in an argument about the German SPD's culpability for siccing the freikorps on the KPD / Spartacists and i don't know where to whine about it except for a chat thread. i can't discern what does or does not constitute targeted harassment, is it just any time you're impolite

I got a 24 hour FB probation for posting "Americans are dumb as hell" on a comment on a friend's post for hate speach

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fly Molo posted:

in cases like this, I can see why an accused mod/admin wouldn’t engage with what they consider (wrongly) to be a “lynch mob”, but there needs to be better communication and dialogue rather than silence, silence, quitting the forums altogether. that doesn’t benefit anyone, and that unresponsive pattern is one of the basic reasons why things keep
escalating to “lynch mob” level before anything changes.

if the only way to be held accountable is via lynch mob, you're gonna get lynch mobs

tale old as fuckin time that only imbeciles haven't figured out yet

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheeee posted:

if the only way to be held accountable is via lynch mob, you're gonna get lynch mobs

tale old as fuckin time that only imbeciles haven't figured out yet

yep!! surely an encouraging sign for the future of our current sociopolitical order

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Speaking of redemption arcs, I think ArfJason has redeemed himself through posting, lol.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arf needed redemption? :thunk:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

oxsnard posted:

I got a 24 hour FB probation for posting "Americans are dumb as hell" on a comment on a friend's post for hate speach

I guess for algorithms indecorous speech is indistinguishable from actual threats or something

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Sure and that's why I think the first thing he needs to do is a better apology that actually explains how he's better. People are going to make mistakes and a zero tolerance approach isn't really tenable because mistakes happen. But they should only happen once. If the dude can explain why it was a mistake, what the problem was, and what he has done to make sure it doesn't happen again than I'm a lot more likely to believe the mistake isn't going to happen again. Combine that with how he's run TFR and that would make me believe it won't happen again and really was a one time gently caress up with really bad judgement.

But he needs that better apology so right now he kind of just looks like a guy who just knows that everyone is mad and it's bad when everyone is mad at you. He doesn't understand why.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Also rewatching the early seasons of the Simpsons is one of the few things keeping me going through pandemic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When someone hands you an assignment or test that they hosed up, and you give it back to them with instructions to correct, the corrected version does not nullify the original failure as it demonstrates only that they can take corrective action when directly instructed; they still have yet to demonstrate an ability to do things correctly working on their own.