Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm supposed to take my brain pills within 2 hours of waking up and thanks to cyano that didn't happen so all bad posts from now is their fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

quote:

If only Muslims kept their violence at home, however, it would be as overlooked as the issues facing other cloistered religious communities 

:yikes:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Does jeff own the forums yet or what

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bootleg Trunks posted:

who care :justpost:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bootleg Trunks posted:

as jeff is about to find out, you don't own the something awful forums, the something awful forums own you

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Bootleg Trunks posted:

you cant own forums

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Giga Gaia posted:

you cant own forums

*fora

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Nobody can own cspam because private property is a scam to sell more everything.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

imagining jeffrey in a very serious sit-down meeting with lowtax and their lawyers deep in negotiating the terms of the deal, and jeffrey trying very hard to ignore constant notifications pinging his phone from forum PMs, mod discord, email, calls from the other admins, etc

lmao this mental image owns

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

This is really bad for the [humanity] but its such amazing content: the somethingawful story.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Incredible

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
for once in my life, drama about something that happened before I was a mod, and I am now not a mod, and thus, I shall not post in QCS

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

imagining jeffrey in a very serious sit-down meeting with lowtax and their lawyers deep in negotiating the terms of the deal, and jeffrey trying very hard to ignore constant notifications pinging his phone from forum PMs, mod discord, email, calls from the other admins, etc

Imagine trying to explain to their finance guy that you expect revenue to increase by 6% because some brokebrain idiot cant stop posting slurs and rereging.
"Well our yoy expenses will go down by 23% because we eliminated our cookie outsorcing however q2 revenue will probably be down by 8% because users probably wont tox for basta this year"

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Eh...that's a big fuckup but it's not the kind of fuckup that irredeemable regardless of if they change and it look like they did and are genuinely sorry in that case.

Feels like it's less about that fuckup itself and more like pouncing on perceived hypocrisy and the general lack of transparency and accountability to anything else.

The latter can addup to still needing them to step down regardless to be clear tho.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

for once in my life, drama about something that happened before I was a mod, and I am now not a mod, and thus, I shall not post in QCS

u r free

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

Rockit posted:

Eh...that's a big fuckup but it's not the kind of fuckup that irredeemable regardless of if anything changes and it look like it did in that case.

Feels like it's less about that fuckup itself and more like pouncing on perceived hypocrisy and the general lack of transparency and accountability to anything else.

The latter can addup to still needing them to step down to be clear tho.

the dude saw a poster calling muslims a threat and asked him to provide a citated thesis. And then after the thesis gets posted he praised it and said he wants to see more like it in the community.

He also gave a sixer to the same dude saying hitler wasn't a monster.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nineball posted:

Yes. He accomplished this by being exactly middle of the road and ejects any form of "politics" from TFR that doesn't specifically fit into the one thread about garbage in the firearms hobby. I mean this as politely as possible but his tenure is the definition of smoothbrained. TFR is a good though since posters there don't let dipshits run rampant. No idea why he's admin

Pretty accurate imo

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Rockit posted:

Eh...that's a big fuckup but it's not the kind of fuckup that irredeemable regardless of if they change and it look like they did and are genuinely sorry in that case.

The latter can addup to still needing them to step down regardless to be clear tho.

Saying "attaboy we need more of this kinda poo poo" to a bunch of copy-pasted white supremacist talking points is absolutely grounds for a demodding at minimum

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

look at all you gave up

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

really queer Christmas posted:

the dude saw a poster calling muslims a threat and asked him to provide a citated thesis. And then after the thesis gets posted he praised it and said he wants to see more like it in the community.

He also gave a sixer to the same dude saying hitler wasn't a monster.

That's trash but i already knew that and i don't think it's a big enough fuckup to ignore genuine change in his behavior.
But there's that and saying he doesn't need to punished at all which i don't think is the case.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well, speaking for myself, I was a totally bananas pro-war neocon when I was younger. There's no real way to "atone" for that, like "I was a bad person and now I'm a good person." All you can really do is engage in political work -- I think you have a sense of what some of that has been from my posts here. One thing that Cyrano has done since then that is cool is making a thread in that sub to track racist and fascist stuff in the gun industry, which IMO matters:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894692

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

as jeff is about to find out, you don't own the something awful forums, the something awful forums own you

it’s.... inevitable. :owned:

Rockit posted:

at a bare minimum: demote him to regular poster for 6 months, stick him with a ugly av and big red text saying “TELL ME ABOUT ISLAMAPHOBIA”, and probe him around once a week or so at random, then make him a mod again.

hell, maybe force every admin to take a break and be a regular poster once in a while. the forums equivalent of a dude whispering in their ear, “remember that you are mortal.”

what I’m saying is: LK for admin, you actually relinquished power voluntarily.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

wear the tuck, coward mod

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I can't recommend this forum to people because there's actually a chance that the mods will do something that actually endangers them. Wild!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

There's no real way to "atone" for that

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the best way to atone is to wear a goofy av and suffer bad jokes for a few months. it forces you to grow, and it means that nature is healing.

lobotomy molo fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 2, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

never trust power that harder to remove than it is to earn

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

but also I think the "i had lovely opinions but now I have good opinions!" kinda steers towards the self-flagellation that is a characteristic of american liberalism. we were all dumb shitheads kids, we learn, we grow, some people learn and grow in pretty horrible ways as it turns out. people need to cut kids a break when they're still trying to figure out how they perceive and understand the world around them.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rockit posted:

it's such a bad fuckup that I genuinely think you should be banned just for saying it wasn't irredeemable.

Well, speaking for myself, I was a totally bananas pro-war neocon when I was younger. There's no real way to "atone" for that, like "I was a bad person and now I'm a good person." All you can really do is engage in political work -- I think you have a sense of what some of that has been from my posts here. One thing that Cyrano has done since then that is cool is making a thread in that sub to track racist and fascist stuff in the gun industry, which IMO matters:

He can do those things without being given the levers of power in this community or any other. Calling that post great is UN FORGIVABLE and if he had truly changed then he would agree and step down without having to be argued into it.

There are plenty of people who have never in their lives been inclined to call a post like that "great" who could be mods or admins, including in TFR

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 2, 2020

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I was also an incorrigible shithead as a teenager so I acknowledge that change is possible, but he had an authority position when he was golf clapping for that poo poo and that does make a difference. Not saying he's permanently a dogshit person if he is taking steps to put that kind of poo poo behind him but still, god drat.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dreylad posted:

but also I think the "i had lovely opinions but now I have good opinions!" kinda steers towards the self-flagellation that is a characteristic of american liberalism. we were all dumb shitheads kids, we learn, we grow, some people learn and grow in pretty horrible ways as it turns out. people need to cut kids a break when they're still trying to figure out how they perceive and understand the world around them.

You may not need to be a flagellate but you shouldn't parade around not being a horrible person anymore as some sort of huge personal achievement. It doesn't earn you any awards you are just back at zero with the rest of us, with the baggage of having been lovely before.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Dreylad posted:

im jus bustin chops but also the post was made 3 years ago so unless cyrano is like 19 lol

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Lightning Knight posted:

You could at least emptyquote Chillgamesh's joke.

*Biden-ishly* C'mon, man

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zarin posted:

You could at least emptyquote Chillgamesh's joke.

*Biden-ishly* C'mon, man

which one

idk, I am very tired. I am currently running on pure sugar. I should eat dinner tbh.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry, i don't believe that 3 years is enough time for someone to meaningfully change into an actual good person from the starting point of calling that post "great"

Nineball
Mar 27, 2010

He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *fucked him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

I feel you on this, and TFR is a good forum, and that thread in particular is great, but

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

never trust power that harder to remove than it is to earn

There's no reason to be lenient when we're still not even sure if Lowtax isn't going to be getting avatar and reg money for his cookie and woman bashing problem, a period marked by completely shutting out the community that everyone with a star ostensibly holds power over. PCOS Bill was literally never a good poster, was constantly posting poo poo similar to his response to the "mod challenge".

This type of stuff is going to keep happening, and FYAD is going to keep getting re-litigated, etc until someone acknowledges the dissatisfaction of the community or the centrifugal forces wear down and the site dies because better posts, as it turned out, weren't possible. People are going to keep toeing the line on a site-level until something breaks because everything seems to have an aura of suck to it.

Danger! Ostrich!
Apr 30, 2006

Are you lookin' at me? Are you lookin' at ME?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007