Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mfcrocker posted:

I mean, while we're having a meta thread to discuss the future it's probably worth also talking about the problems people have been having with the community. I appreciate that once people talked about hornyposting a 12th time with the backdrop of all the poo poo coming out about wrestling something actually happened, but overall moderation in this subforum has been way too hands off and permissive of some frankly gross posting.

You end up with the community you foster, and if the community as-is right now was supplanted elsewhere I'm not 100% sure I'd bother following it.

Sorry you feel this way. What sort of things do you think are problematic? I'd like to know if I'm doing it so I can change & be better as a person.

And I know putting this on you really sucks but it's just I feel like your Fight Island experience is so different to mine that I don't even know where to start.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Seams posted:

good news everybody a small island in the Caribbean has recently come up for sale due to the untimely death of its owner!

Is there any way to move it to a slightly more northerly latitude?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nevermind, you updated it. Another Discord for me to sit in & forget exists.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 24, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Whatever replacement forum we end up with needs the $10 paywall. Maybe not right away but after enough guns get a chance to try there. I'm convinced that's a huge part of what's kept SA a great community online. I joined the discord mostly so I'll know where to go of this shuts down

Having the paywall to entry is a part of what makes SA worth using but also boy does it ever loving suck when you're poor.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

If this place goes anywhere I won't have a place to talk about wrestling and I'll miss you people a lot

Bread & Roses seems really chill. The wrestling threads in the Sports & Wrasslin' sub seem quiet but there's a good way to change that: Just Post

MJeff posted:

Mmmmmmmnope don't think I can watch this.

Yeah, unless you're somehow on the fence about this being a lot of hideous abusive behaviour I don't think you'd need to. It's horrid & you just hope she has some way out of that hell

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I all but need this place to be mentally well. I just can't see somewhere like Reddit ever EVER holding the same sense of community for me. That said, if Lowtax isn't willing to walk away for like a buyout or something there's no loving way this place will (or should) survive, so I might not have a choice.

I think we're all hoping Lowtax just fucks off while acknowledging that if Lowtax did the right thing he'd also not be abusing anyone. So I'd say register on Bread & Roses, so you can stay in contact with your SA bros & gals in case he pitches a shitfit and just takes the forum offline with no warning, which I don't think is outwith the realms of possibility.

It's an SA offsite but it's it's own thing too and it (as far as I can see) just seems chill. There's a general wrestling thread & an AEW thread so far but if there's more activity then obviously we can have more threads. I'm thinking of starting a general puro thread assuming we have a few more PSPers turn up.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NienNunb posted:

My very close friend and occasional podcast partner Dickeye is a big cheese at Bread and Roses, I intend on joining there. But I stand by what I said, a number of us should work on our crippling Posting Addictions

This is terrible advice, next you'll be telling me to go outside & talk to real people face to face.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

This isnt a board of directors who can force a ceo to resign or sell his controlling shares, this is a series of unpaid mods vs the sole owner of a website. He doesnt have to agree to anything and I am willing he wont, so an exodus is probably anyones only option of posting somewhere he doesnt own and cant benefit from financially.

This is why I'm sceptical, aye. Despite all the griping he does about the forums being a money loser it's his source of income, because he can't be so loving deluded to think people gave to his Patreon for his shite Youtube videos can he? So I don't see him willingly relinquishing that & he'd rather just tear the whole thing down.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Re: B&R, this is the messaging from a CineD mod and I'm not sure if they speak for the whole mod team on this or what:

I did pay my tenbux to them but I hope this forum can excise Lowtax and keep on keepin on.

A lot of the mod team isn't very good so I'm not overly worried. But they are right. BnR was founded as a reaction to some dumb poo poo I can't even remember or wasn't aware of in the first place. It's quite clearly not trying to just be SA all over again, which I assume most people would regard as a good thing because an awful lot of SA history is miserably toxic. Think the BnR rules make clear what it is, an explicitly left-wing, progressive space where casual bigotry isn't wanted. Clearly that's not going to be great for everyone but a) it's better than nothing b) it's an improvement on SA in some respects because this place has some baggage. Ideally Lowtax relinquishes control of this forum & fucks off for good but the chances of that seem piss poor to this outsider.

Aphrodite posted:

Like every offsite it's more for bitching about this one that anything else.

It's explicitly not for this but okay

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

what wrasslin move would you wish to see lowtax receive?

I'm thinking lionsault tombstone

A proper '90s All Japan style backdrop driver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p66LyZbFjAE

Or the Ganso Bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjhTBj0NbaI

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Hey, fuckers. I want to believe too. Don't accept this just to assuage your guilt. All of us, from admins down, don't know poo poo.

We believe that SA isn't profitable because a serial abuser said so.

We believed he needed money for medical procedures because he said so.

Are we really gonna' believe he'd do a good deed here for our benefit?

I don't really have much faith in Jeffery of YOSPOS or the rest of the admins. I think they have a track record which isn't great. I also obviously have no trust in Lowtax doing anything right. But I do believe that none of the admins have any time for Lowtax now, they've been burned once too often on their covering for that shithead. Maybe I don't have any real reason for that. Like, there's no love lost there, Lowtax was tolerated because he owns this place & that's it, the more he just hosed off the happier they were. And I still think there's plenty chance for any deal to not happen because Lowtax is a lazy sack of poo poo on top of everything else so expecting him to do his side to complete a deal is on a wish & a prayer. But I really do sincerely think that the admins want a clean break of Lowtax. I think they protected him from past accusations because they thought they were protecting the forum, which is insanely hosed up & shows terrible judgement & priorities, but I dunno, that's my take.

I think there's plenty SA needs to address after Lowtax is thrown into the dustbin of history, about transparency, about abuse, about accountability and all these things. And I'm glad offsites still are there if poo poo does collapse and think anyone acting like it's all over when nothing has actually changed yet is short-sighted.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

boxcarhobo posted:

i am not doing it until we know lowtax wont get any money from it

At least to be fair to Jeffery, he was explicit in saying (unfortunately in the GBS Q&A thread rather the stickied announcement) that nobody should buy anything or give money to the site for now because Lowtax would get it. Which isn't much but is still something.

And Lowtax will almost certainly get some money for the forum. He owns it and despite being a loving useless owner who has done nothing for the forum in probably 15 years minimum it's legally his. And seeing as keeping the community even mostly intact while moving to an offsite when we have so many disparate interests would be a task even Herakles would baulk at, & that's a stated goal of the admins for better & worse, and this is his only source of income so no way he gives it up for free. Because Lowtax clearly doesn't give a gently caress about the forum and generally seems to regard it as a drag away from his hilarious Youtube & frontpage that nobody gives a gently caress about. So he's going to get a lump sum if Something Awful continues. I have no idea what it'll be. People are throwing around six figures & I think that seems insane for an old comedy forum with 2+ decades of baggage & a userbase so diverse that the only thing it has in common across us all is we're prickly fuckers who love e-drama (a slowly diminishing userbase at that). I think paying 5 figures would be insane for a forum with lots of users, and horrendously outdated custom software that no one seems to be able to work out what the gently caress is going on with the code. But it's the internet & the internet is loving insane & I'm poor & a cheap fucker so what I'd value it at seems irrelevant.

But Lowtax will get paid something is the bottom line. If he bothers his arse to sign over the site. Which I still don't really know if he'll do because he's a lazy fuckup grifter on top of every other lovely thing about him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Also imo we should stop being goons now. What are we?

Idiots

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

We always were these though

Fine. There's an insult I'd hear at Ross County games from the auld fans. Mewch. I have no idea how it's spelled, I think it's a Gaelic word. Just angry old men yelling "YA MEWCH" (Mew like the Pokemon, Ch like in Loch) at players they decided they thought were useless despite being our top scorer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Ross County! Are you a gadgie?

Aye, that I am

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

I watch STREETBEEFS sometimes does that count

No, Streetbeefs isn't quite regressive & exploitative enough to be MMA, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wendell posted:

I’m an admin now, do what I say.

Well that's clearly not true, if you were a true admin you'd be saying nothing to the plebs.