Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So for some reason a lot of people are interested in finding alternate sites and communities to talk about politics in, whether because they don't know if SA is going to be around next week or because buying forums stuff right now is a real uncomfortable thing to be doing. But let's be real, the vast majority of politics sites loving suck. How the gently caress are we going to follow poo poo without the SA community, and who are we gonna have fun posting with without the SA community? Just wander into the horrendous wastes of Twitter? Hell no! What makes SA great isn't the site or the URL or the owner - it's the community of wonderful people who, for the most part, are way less lovely than everywhere else on the web. I'm not usually one to open up, but I don't keep coming back to this site every day for Lowtax, I keep coming back to post with funny, knowledgeable, and generally decent posters like yourselves.

So where am I going with all this? Regardless of what happens with SA, I wanna keep the community going, and I want to have places outside of SA to talk about stuff with funny and knowledgeable people who aren't tremendous assholes and jerks. So let's talk about other sites where people can talk politics in a non-lovely environment, offsites where people can post with SA community members, and of course discords. A politics focus is preferred but not required - I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves being able to drop a big effortpost and then hop over to Games or GWS or something to nerd out over entertainment. We're here in D&D for politics and stuff, but we're not on SA just for that, we're here for the larger community.

Keep in mind that these forums are essentially public and that KF and other poo poo offsites are watching right now, and so for stuff where it's hard to vet new users (like Discords) it might be better to PM links rather than posting them publicly. You can ask to be PMed discord links here too.

Whatever happens, it's been great posting with y'all, and I hope it continues somewhere or somehow.

UPDATE: If you don't have PMs, you can email me at mainpaineframe@gmail.com and I will pass stuff along to you. There's also a read-only D&D mod Discord that we have running just so people can send us Discord PMs, located here: https://discord.gg/ScGa9Vn

I might not get back to you for a little while because I'm at work now, and also I wanna look into the feasibility of doing some kind of verification before I start directing people to discords and poo poo. But I created that account just now for the specific purpose of passing stuff along to users who don't have PMs

List of current D&D Discord attempts:
USPol Discord: https://discord.gg/3K9cg27
D&D Thunderdome: https://discord.gg/ahG7YVW

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If you don't have PMs, you can email me at mainpaineframe@gmail.com and I will pass stuff along to you

I might not get back to you for a little while because I'm at work now, and also I wanna look into the feasibility of doing some kind of verification before I start directing people to discords and poo poo. But I created that account just now for the specific purpose of passing stuff along to users who don't have PMs

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Right now I'd say the priority is on being involved in any kind of off-site SA community in case Lowtax shows up and randomly bans a ton of people or closes half the forums or something

It's gonna take some time for any remotely organized or official successor community to come together, but in the meantime it's good to have an off-site way to find out about it, just in case. I'm pretty sure this forum is still gonna be around in a week, but it'd suck to get cut off from the SA communities forever if I'm wrong

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I've added a list of the Discords I've seen actively inviting people to the OP now - the one that was being PMed out everywhere has goon auth now, so the link doesn't need to be non-public anymore.

Lemme know if you want any others added. That goes for regional or subject-specific Discords too - I'm not gonna go seeking them out in case those threads' communities want them to be more private, but if you want them broadcast to D&D then I can add them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
something that'll be of interest to a lot of goons is that PYF has a thread about saving copies of old threads with an archiving tool

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929489

if there's any really informative or funny old threads that you don't wanna lose forever, take a look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
looks like the USPol Discord link was broken

I've updated with a new link

https://discord.gg/3K9cg27