Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
The Wrestling Game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

MorrisBae posted:

"Punk/Joe hey man are you still in TNA? yeah why? HAHAHAHA" image

Did anyone dig this up yet?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Envisioned posted:

Did you know that Charlotte had a nanny?

:aaaaa:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

There's so many over the years, from a combination of posting and lurking depending on the era. SomethingAwful as a whole has been part of my life for almost 20 years, since I was a young teenager, and it's still my go-to for a lot of things (at times just a very good aggregator of news from elsewhere so I don't have to suffer through twitter or whatever). I'm sure I'll forget a lot.

-Discovering that goon college roommates were, like me, wrestling fans in their childhood led to us posting regularly in Wrestlehut, which ultimately revitalized my interest in wrestling and also brought us closer together. If it wasn't for this, I doubt I'd be into wrestling, and I wouldn't have explored RoH, NJPW, AEW, all of it. The IRL friendships didn't last, but the fun I had IRL was very intertwined with this goofy subforum about this stupid interest on this dead forum :)

-The Randy Orton Man-Love Locker Room. It doesn't age well, but "Hoes, Pose, RKOs", "Release the Doves" the edit of Orton making GBS threads in a bag as he delivers a flying RKO, the fact that goon merchandise was made to commemorate it, all of that was fun. I'm not proud of some of the messages it all conveys in retrospect, but there's no denying it was a lot of fun. I see that the dove PPV poster of Orton has already been posted, and the collective :aaa: about it is a fond memory as well.

-Banjo and his diehard love of Cena, the voice of the majority wrestling fan in a time where everyone was a smark.

-Royal Rumble teams, which are just a fun idea for a fun gimmick for a fun sport :) Who doesn't love cheering their idiot jobber every time he lands a chop or avoids an elimination, instead of just waiting for the inevitable final 4/3/2?

-The mark-out recording of Cena's surprise return at the Rumble, at a time where Cena was :rolleyes: to just about everyone.

-Jerusalem being the best source of .gifs for wrestling for a long-rear end time.

- Every weird rear end post that got meme'd. The horny guy who probably meant he wanted to have a lot of anal with Mickie James but the weird phrasing and grossness of it turned into him wanting to live inside her rear end (like the hoth creature in Star Wars?). It's canon now :colbert:. The guy having a meltdown about gamergate. The guy whose brain fell out his nose who posted gibberish about dave meltzer and dean ambrose. Jake the Sanem. Paradol Ex's post about Benoit.

-The brief Alexa Bliss crew, which is connected to:

-The Smackdown live threads, when smackdown suddenly became the clear A-show. Connected to:

-The talking smack fans, where a bunch of us released just how badly WWE was holding back wrestlers on the mic. We knew good wrestlers were hamstrung by WWE in the ring, but suddenly it turned out that so many of them were great talkers (and poo poo-talkers, like Baron Corbin). Funny interviews, Daniel Bryan not giving a gently caress, Tout, John Cena no-selling Nikki Bella getting assaulted, AJ is a flat-earther and Daniel Bryan won't accept it, Santa Rhyno is drunk and weird and Renee continues her trend of being grossed out by Rhyno in general. All of this was 10x more fun posting with friends.

-The Smackdown collage, where Abroham Lincoln condensed the A show into the A image.

-Naito fans (like me) distressed when he lost to Okada at Wrestle Kingdom, and the joy of Okada fans at our expense.

-Naito fans ecstatic when he finally won the title and had two belts, only to lose to Naito haters AGAIN as his moment was ruined by the dastardly KENTA.

I'm sure there's more, I haven't even gotten to AEW. But that's a lot already. Thank you, wrestlegoons, for making the only worthwhile wrestle forum on the internet.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Envisioned posted:

Did you know that Charlotte had a nanny?

It's funny how we all gave Rovert so much poo poo for that and now 90% of the people here hate her far more than he ever did

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

For some reason, Charlotte having a nanny and Normal Smiley actually does most of the training are the two Rovert-isms I remember.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

For some reason, Charlotte having a nanny and Normal Smiley actually does most of the training are the two Rovert-isms I remember.

Those two and "he puts the 'Balor' in 'eligible bachelor'"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I totally forgot about hoes, pose and RKOs

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SalTheBard posted:

I totally forgot about hoes, pose and RKOs

If there are two things that are unforgettable about Wrestlehut for me it's that and the Benoit copypasta.

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby

dromal phrenia posted:

When I'm on this forum, the name Trevor is tied to rovert because my brain is stupid. So anytime I see a Trevor Dame tweet posted I have read his name backwards as e-mad rovert and laugh inside because it's just too perfect.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

"Bram will carry the TNA brand into the future"

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

dromal phrenia posted:

-Jerusalem being the best source of .gifs for wrestling for a long-rear end time.

Shout out to WrasslorMonkey for his memorable GIFs as well

This will last beyond SA forever:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Please post the final, largest version of the Smackdown collage

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Sorry to be that jerk who posts a favorite memory about something they did themselves, but man I loved doing those Anatomy of an Angle/MYSTERY BOX/Puro-Palooza watch-along threads and it sucked that my life got too busy for me to really be able to keep doing them. Especially since the video editing I did on them was pretty loving amateurish and the videohosts at the time sucked and I didn't back any of the videos up, and I could probably do a much better job on that type of thing nowadays.

I loved doing those as well. I was broke and unemployed so I started to do WCW Wednesday Nitro. More of a "best of" series than a chronological order thing. Eventually I did a couple of compilation videos and the Anatomy of an Angle for Punk/Hardy. Doing those kept me sane when I was looking for work. Those compilation videos got more thread pages than most PPVs now.

I think I still have the Punk/Hardy videos somewhere

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

probably my favorite memories are from when i feuded with niennunb and finally hit the point of irony poisoning. but it wasn't the toxic bigoted hateful behavior kind of poisoning that fyads would get. it was wrapping myself up into the character of posting disdain for being wronged that i truly cared even though there was nothing to care about. i created grievances and, if only for a moment, grieved. i whooped my own rear end. Thank you all

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sandman McMahon posted:

I enjoyed the time Rovert told everyone they’d feel really bad when we found out the real reason Arn Anderson was fired.

And other times too, but I liked that one.

I like when the reason Arn was suspended finally came out, Rovert tried to backtrack and claim that he never said that.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I forgot about the hulk hogan raft, which I initially wasn't following until I got wind that two goons had entered a bidding war with each other unwittingly and were going to go into debt trying to secure the raft from their goonpal.

I really should read the PYF SA Sagas thread before this site implodes, I bet every subforum has some great self-contained stories. Or maybe people should make equivalent threads in each subforum and we can travel as tourists to laugh about the unknown treasures hidden in each community

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Didn't goons take Lowtax to an ROH show at Hammerstein around 2008?

I'd like to hear a recap of that/what he was like back then

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
OH

poo poo

I FORGOT

AWFULMANIA WAS A THING

Wasn't it like Jim Neidhart and King Kong Bundy at Gooncon or something?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MorrisBae posted:

Didn't goons take Lowtax to an ROH show at Hammerstein around 2008?

I'd like to hear a recap of that/what he was like back then

I don't recall this happening though a few of us definitely all got a front row together for Misawa.

MorrisBae posted:

OH

poo poo

I FORGOT

AWFULMANIA WAS A THING

Wasn't it like Jim Neidhart and King Kong Bundy at Gooncon or something?

I also didn't recall this happening but it definitely did and lmao

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Darkstar melting down over Rhea Ripley defending her jeans in a tweet

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Found it!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2837429&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12

quote:

The largest goonmeet I ever held in NYC was AWFULMANIA. It had an attendance of over 120 goons, which ranks up there with the largest gooncons.

I had a budget of over $3,000 for it. I used that to rent a private hall in NJ that was accessible via walking distance from the PATH train (took the subway from the WTC stop ) about 30 minutes of travel. At the private hall, I had hired a dozen indie wrestlers to perform just for us, including Doink the Clown and Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart. They had their own private bar for us, 120 goons shouting catchphrases while wrestlers put their bodies on the line for our entertainment. They even let me participate in one of the matches.

Then we returned back to NYC. 120 goons, going from NJ to NYC via subway, and no one got lost.

Who played Doink?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
edit: I misread something

MorrisBae fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 25, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The WhateverdafluxDeanAmanda post, followed by a lot of "Are you having a stroke"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

quote:

Paradol Ex posted:
I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about professional wrestling, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Chris Benoit, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about the WWE's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Chris Benoit. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Chris Benoit is a murderer. He killed his wife and child. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Chris Benoit. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always point out Chris Benoit as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could point to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw wrestling as a means to an end. He was in it for professional wrestling. He was dedicated to being the best professional wrestler he could be, and it showed in the ring.

I wanted to be a professional wrestler since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be a wrestler had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a professional wrestler was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Chris Benoit in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a WWE champion. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation wrestler. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest professional wrestlers in history. By 40 years-old.

Chris Benoit was only forty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like MVP, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the ring, and that that same man could strangle his wife and child only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Nancy, and not for their child.

Chris Benoit owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Mondays and Fridays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Chris Benoit is dead. And he died a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Chris Benoit was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Tato posted:

Please post the final, largest version of the Smackdown collage

okay

e: there are some layering errors but i don't care enough to fix them.

it also goes without saying making this dumb poo poo was easily the most fun i've had with my postin pals. :unsmith:

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Does anyone have the TNA "We just need..." list?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MorrisBae posted:

that list was longer than the giant rear end smackdown poster above

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MorrisBae posted:

The last one I've seen posted in the TNA thread is at least three years out of date

quote:

We just need Nashville
We just need a 4-sided ring
We just need weekly PPV
We just need Vince Russo
We just need Orlando
We just need a 6-sided ring
We just need Fox Sports Net
We just need monthly PPV
We just need Spike TV
We just need Saturday nights
We just need Sting
We just need Thursday nights
We just need Kurt Angle
We just need Vince Russo
We just need 9pm
We just need house shows
We just need 2 hours
We just need HD
We just need Hulk Hogan
We just need Eric Bischoff
We just need a 4-sided ring
We just need Monday nights
We just need Thursday nights
We just need ReAction
We just need to rename our company
We just need Bruce Prichard
We just need live TV
We just need 8pm
We just need to leave Orlando
We just need quarterly PPV
We just need 9pm
We just need Orlando
We just need WANE

There was a second list from around the same time

quote:

Vince Russo!
Weekly PPV!
Adult content!
45,000 lapsed WCW fans to buy our shows every week!
WCW talent WWE ignored!
Celebrities to bring us mainstream attention!
Jeff Jarrett to be a serious rear end kicker!
The Carter Family!
A major revolutionary heel faction!
Vince Russo!
Sting!
Hulk Hogan!
Celebrities like Johnny Fairplay to bring us mainstream attention!
Fox Sports Network!
A six sided ring!
A breakthrough Mexican star!
Jeff Hardy!
Monthly PPV!
More star power!
Spike TV!
Sponsorships!
Jeff Jarrett to be the champion on TV!
More star power!
Cross promotion with UFC!
Sting!
Thursdays!
Kurt Angle!
Vince Russo!
PPVs on the road!
Primetime!
Celebrities like Pacman Jones to bring us mainstream attention!
Two Hours!
The fans to just give Vince Russo a chance!
More shows on the road!
Live specials!
A video game!
The X Division to be more like a video game!
A women's division!
Sponsorships!
More star power!
More international deals!
A breakthrough Mexican star!
A major revolutionary heel faction to make our homegrown talents stars!
MMA crossover stars!
Hulk Hogan!
Eric Bischoff!
A four sided ring!
More star power!
Monday Nights!
To do what the WWE won't do, blood, controversy, chairshots to the head!
Monday Nights from 8-10!
A third hour!
Thursday Nights!
Paul Heyman!
ECW!
The Jersey Shore!
A shocking heel turn and major heel stable to shake things up!
Sponsorships!
A breakthrough Mexican Star!
Rebranding!
Long term planning!
Former WWE higher ups!
A new booker!
Impact on the road and live!
8 PM shows to get away from football!
A revolutionary heel stable!
Fewer PPVs!
MMA crossovers!
9 PM!
Impact on the road and live!
A smaller, more cost effective roster!
Universal Studios and 24/7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Thank you for posting the collage. It's so magnificent it makes me want to own one of those MOJO hats

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

overmind2000 posted:

The last one I've seen posted in the TNA thread is at least three years out of date

There was a second list from around the same time

At least half of this list feels like it could apply to WWE. Except nobody who watches WWE was desperately awaiting the return of Bruce Pritchard.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

mods?! MODS?!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

okay

e: there are some layering errors but i don't care enough to fix them.

it also goes without saying making this dumb poo poo was easily the most fun i've had with my postin pals. :unsmith:

ahahahaahahaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha thank you for posting this.

Those smackdown threads were so much fun, and I'm glad you enjoyed making the collages because they were seriously a highlight of the threads!

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
I haven't posted here or really paid attention to wrestling in like a decade, but I have a lot of fond memories of sitting up to 5am UK time liveposting with people in here.

Does anyone still have the stickfigure animations of finishing moves we made? or that Big Daddy I, II, III, IV V picture from the SciFi ECW era? for some reason those are the things that stick in my head the most.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think some of my fondest memories were that brief month in the ECW gdts where we would stick around after ECW and watch CHA$E

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

JOHN CENA posted:

i think some of my fondest memories were that brief month in the ECW gdts where we would stick around after ECW and watch CHA$E

Elijah Burke on Ghost Hunters gave us that amazing GIF of Rey Mysterio dropping down like Spiderman and going "BOOYAKA" to scare him away

Another image probably lost to time

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Hunter Ortiz rally up

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

JOHN CENA posted:

Wasn't there a point where we were watching trash SyFy movie of the week stuff? Ice Spiders or Crocopuss and poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

weekly font posted:

Wasn't there a point where we were watching trash SyFy movie of the week stuff? Ice Spiders or Crocopuss and poo poo?

yeah we absolutely did