Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It got so loving close... post other longrunners from the late 90's/early 2000's that were also also-rans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Simpsons was 11 seasons old by 2000, and is still on the air.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Beavis and Butthead is coming back...does that count?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I felt drawn to this thread somehow.

As for other long-runners, Family Guy started in January 1999. It took a few years off in the middle, but it's still going.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A while ago I wanted to rewatch all the classic ATHF episodes and was surprised to see that like 9/10 of the classics were in the literal first season

You and your... third dimension :smug:

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Just think, there's a timeline where this is true. Lowtax's spine melted and Firefly was never cancelled. Where are those sick fucks who still watch Survivor? Truly that show is king.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Survivor Watcher here, what's dead may never die!!!!!

I also love ATHF and think even the latest seasons had gems. It did seem like they needed a break for a bit, though. They've never had a show since that really scratched that same itch though. Not sure anything could nowadays, the absurdity and surrealism of ATHF has kind of become such a common part of the landscape now and influenced so many things since. I do think they could've kept the show going with increasingly minimal effort put in, or even do some bullshit like reuse existing episode dialogues and animations for a whole season.

"Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday" fav quote

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The episode where Danzig is their neighbor is loving incredible

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If I find out he's over here, I'm gonna be eating my cereal out of the bottom of your fuckin' skull! Verstandlich?!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Corte posted:

Just think, there's a timeline where this is true. Lowtax's spine melted and Firefly was never cancelled. Where are those sick fucks who still watch Survivor? Truly that show is king.

I still remember playing the Survivor PC game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPyd3tJM1FI

Good lord I feel old now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol i bought that game last year for a couple bucks for the wii. still never played it, buying it was entertaining enough to justify the cost. What a bizarre idea for a videogame, especially by yourself lol.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only other bit of Survivor lore I remember is Survivor Amazon's Jenna Morasca went on to have the world's worst yet most short-lived professional wrestling career of all time. OF ALL TIME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78TlpvYedug

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Corte posted:

It don't matter. None of this matters.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

The only other bit of Survivor lore I remember is Survivor Amazon's Jenna Morasca went on to have the world's worst yet most short-lived professional wrestling career of all time. OF ALL TIME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78TlpvYedug

NGL, I miss the the bizarre charm of the emergent normy celebs from those first reality shows, when it was still novel and a cultural topic. Kind of coincided with the end of like, people being stuck collectively watching network TV on their schedule. People sign up for this weird game show thing and then come home and a few months later are suddenly getting random offers to be on TV or playboy or professional wrestling. I guess people still go into reality shows hoping for those kinds of "breaks" but it's not the same.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Khanstant posted:

NGL, I miss the the bizarre charm of the emergent normy celebs from those first reality shows, when it was still novel and a cultural topic. Kind of coincided with the end of like, people being stuck collectively watching network TV on their schedule. People sign up for this weird game show thing and then come home and a few months later are suddenly getting random offers to be on TV or playboy or professional wrestling. I guess people still go into reality shows hoping for those kinds of "breaks" but it's not the same.

You see these same people up and down 90 Day Fiance from Larissa to Deaven and it just blows my mind.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I feel like I'm good with not knowing anything about 90 day fiance world

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Khanstant posted:

I feel like I'm good with not knowing anything about 90 day fiance world

90 Day Fiance is actually a really entertaining show and I say that as someone who ordinarily utterly hates TLC poo poo

there's basically one of three possible ways a 90DF couple goes:

- they're both decent people and a legitimately cute couple, and all goes well (this is exceedingly loving rare but always cute when it happens)

- one of the couple is an absolute saint of a person and generally A Catch, whereas the other person is more or less an IRL Always Sunny character (this sometimes works out very badly, but it sometimes works out OK depending on how patient the non-goonlord is)

- both of the people are batshit insane trainwrecks who should not be allowed around other humans, let alone each other, and it blows up in everyone's faces hilariously

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

It don't matter. None of this matters.

Truly, we were, a dead gay forum.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

precision posted:

The episode where DANZIG MOTHERFUCKER is their neighbor is loving incredible

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

90 Day Fiance is actually a really entertaining show and I say that as someone who ordinarily utterly hates TLC poo poo

there's basically one of three possible ways a 90DF couple goes:

- they're both decent people and a legitimately cute couple, and all goes well (this is exceedingly loving rare but always cute when it happens)

- one of the couple is an absolute saint of a person and generally A Catch, whereas the other person is more or less an IRL Always Sunny character (this sometimes works out very badly, but it sometimes works out OK depending on how patient the non-goonlord is)

- both of the people are batshit insane trainwrecks who should not be allowed around other humans, let alone each other, and it blows up in everyone's faces hilariously

The best part is for this past season of... what is it? Before the 90 Days, I think? With No-Neck Ed the Sex Tourist, Dave the Toupee'd Keyboard Warrior Who Pays Not To Be Scammed, Goonlord Colt the Oedipus Complex Serial Killer, and a handful of other complete shitbags, it's been the absolute worst season yet of just absolute nightmare people. Like they just said gently caress it and doubled down on finding the worst human beings possible.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Khanstant posted:

lol i bought that game last year for a couple bucks for the wii. still never played it, buying it was entertaining enough to justify the cost. What a bizarre idea for a videogame, especially by yourself lol.

Yeah, with how popular the show is you'd think someone would have cracked a formula on how to make it work as a proper game by now. It's probably because you could do the physical challenges easily enough, but setting up rules and a structure for the social game element is pretty much only possible in a tabletop RPG kind of way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

A while ago I wanted to rewatch all the classic ATHF episodes and was surprised to see that like 9/10 of the classics were in the literal first season

You and your... third dimension :smug:

As long as this is recognizing the 2D excellence of Broodwich then we’re ok.

Also Spacecataz. But Broodwich first.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBe0H_csTBs

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
"I told you not to do it and you did it... anyways."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did."

"No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did."

And on and on and on.

One of my favorite parts. The actors were all so good at their delivery and I think that's what kept the series so solid, even if it was weaker as it went on.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHvCVqnyfwI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Welp, now I'm gonna get baked and watch ATHF all morning

Words rarely spoken: "I'm glad I've got HBO Max"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, with how popular the show is you'd think someone would have cracked a formula on how to make it work as a proper game by now. It's probably because you could do the physical challenges easily enough, but setting up rules and a structure for the social game element is pretty much only possible in a tabletop RPG kind of way.

It actually does work as an Online Community game, forget the proper terms for it, but John Cena here is running a Survivor game for the forums, and others have been doing the same for years. I joined out of curiosity and skepticism, "how could Survivor work as a game without the beach/survival." Basically several people act as the producers and run the game, and contestants sequester themselves in a discord channel, people can watch, they hold challenges and tribals, etc. It actually works remarkably well and was a lot of fun until backstabbing returnees blindside you over and over with their lies.

Making a proper videogame seems like it would be harder, for "Survivor" to work you need willing contestants with a lot of time to dedicate on stuff that is basically just talking, the "producer" role is just as important and not something I think game AI could really handle.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Carl has some all-time great quotes in Handbanana.

"What is DNA?"
"It stands for Do Not... enter my pool... Assman."

"Just because I'm not using it doesn't mean... Here, turn it into a dog laboratory."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Carl is one of the only impersonations I can do

Why yes, I did live in new Jersey

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OusB2a-z3t8

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
:mad: "Oh, right, Shake. Do you expect me to believe the chainsaw sprouted legs, climbed up the pole, and cut the power lines all by itself?"

:ohdear: "I...d-do you believe that?"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This one time I rent me a pressure washer, start my own business called Meatwad Pressure Washing. But then I was told "You gotta have a license for that." I said, "License? I ain't even s'posed to be in this country!" And then he got all mad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm watching MC Pee Pants

It's still good

"It keeps running inside my head and it won't leave until I blow it out. With a bullet."

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.
I can dig more clams than you.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Danzig was also great not even flinching at $1000000 as Carl's offer for his house.

Zakk Wylde was just as good:

"Yo, is milkshake there?"

Frylock: "No, I haven't--"

"Because the beating I'm about to put upon him is going to be indescribable."

Meatwad: "He's out back."

"Ok, thanks. Nice place by the way."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 19, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

precision posted:

The episode where Danzig is their neighbor is loving incredible

He is so frightening and so annoying and HE DOESNT WEAR A SHIRT

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I get it.

It ain't makin' me laugh, but I get it.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I don't need no instructions to know how to rock

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
We don't need a toilet. The pile of clothes in the hallway has worked fine for us for years, and it will continue to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

raditts posted:

I get it.

It ain't makin' me laugh, but I get it.

Appreciating this Beavis and Butthead reference.