Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sindai posted:

I really didn't think Aka was going to kill the mom. :qq:

Yeah, that was quite a shock. I've liked this manga so far, but Kaguya's much better in my opinion. It's pretty early to be making calls on quality though, we'll see if whatever status quo is set up after the end of the prologue sucks me in at anywhere near the level that Kaguya does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hey not the route I expected them to take, but this could be a lot of fun!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Cephas posted:

Chapter 10 gives me intense Qualia of Purple vibes and I am totally down for that.

Dang, I had completely forgotten that Qualia of Purple ever existed until that mention (which is ridiculously on brand). That was a really fun high concept manga. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't checked it out.

I just checked out some highlights of Instant Bullet (just the beginning and the end), and I really like how he chose to end it. I hope he gets to go back and do a follow up to it later, I'd be pretty eager to see what he could pull off with it on both the art and story front now that he's further along as a mangaka.

Sign me up as interested in seeing Instant Bullet Z someday, in other words. But only after Kaguya hits at least 500 issues, since I can't imagine enjoying any of Aka's works more than I enjoy Kaguya.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 8, 2020

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I approve of this development. Keep getting darker and darker in your pursuit for revenge brother, I want this to seem like super small potatoes later.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Good on Aka (and I do give the credit just to the writer in this regard, even though the art's been very good so far too) for not even being at chapter 30 of his idol/celebrity focused manga and already diving headfirst into the serious issues of what's messed up about that whole industry. It also gives me a warm feeling to see the whole cast rallying around Akane and to see her saved from her suicide attempt. It's not really a realistic example of how this kind of thing plays out, but it's really nice to see things going how they should in a better world.

I'd definitely put good odds on Akane joining B-Komachi, and once you hit at least three members it seems like they could be off to the idol races.

Also a bit of a random thought, but I feel like Aqua's not going to be able to go through with his mega revenge plot when he finds Ai's killer. Maybe we'll get an unexpected development like Ruby taking revenge or some other swerve that isn't "Aqua kills the dude" or "Aqua makes the dude confess and fends him over to the cops to be locked up forever."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah I was about to say that this chapter is sliding nicely into the gap that Act Age left.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

No harm in giving it time to build up plenty of chapters to draw from before it's animated. This is also a lot more serialized than Kaguya, so I don't think there's nearly as many chapters you could just skip past and not animate. Which just means it'd be done essentially like a regular anime I suppose, but it's all the more reason to have a good sense of how things are shaping up, and when a natural end point for the anime would be.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

That Arc would be the best point so far, but really what it needs is for the identity of the father to be revealed. i expect at that point the manga shifts into some prolonged revenge plotting and L/Light style mind games, rather than having the father just get shivved right away or something. End with the identity known and a vow to get revenge, and that seems like a solid way to end a season.

I'd love to see Aka's spin on that kind of psychological Death Note-ish plot, so I'm hoping that's the route that it goes to. Give me 50+ chapters after the father and killer is confirmed, and don't just have that come right in the build to the finale. I'd also be on board for the reveal that the killer wasn't the father, so that one mystery ends and another begins.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Mirage posted:

Nope. Nope. Not buying it for an instant.

:same:

It's a fun path for the manga to go in for now though, and Aqua got lots more info here than I was expecting.

I hope we get Aqua with a mega black star eye digging up his "father's" grave for DNA after new clues point to that not being his dad at some point.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 21, 2022

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Dexo posted:

Lol shout out to Akane for listening to this story and realizing the same thing the fans did.

For once I'm behind on things and I'm just not seeing the clear loophole here, though I'm sure it's pretty obvious once it's all spelled out. I suppose the half-brother being the product of an affair the mother had makes the most sense.

I never had any real doubt about it, but we'll definitely see this revenge arc come to a satisfying conclusion. Hell, I want Aka to write it with maximum sweetness and have the kids meet their reincarnated mother in an epilogue, with her having kept tabs on them from the sidelines but feeling sure that they wouldn't believe her if she claimed to be their mom, and that it'd mess them up to know she's around. Then all three of them bond over this weird "memories from multiple lives" situation.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, would a reincarnated mom be just a year younger than the main characters?

That's how I'm thinking it would go, yeah. If they start palling around with a younger kouhai, I'll immediately start getting paranoid and looking for clues.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The talk about the prologue led to me going back to read the Oshi no Ko prologue chapters, and man the end of the prologue still really gets to me :qq:.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I mean, the obvious route from here would be Aqua's dad is still alive, dad kills Akane for some reason, Aqua pulls a Lelouch and manifests TWO BLACK STAR EYES OF REVENGE (one way or another, I'm expecting we'll see double star eyes of some kind for both Aqua and Ruby before the end of the manga) and redoubles his efforts to kill his the guy. I feel like the manga's not going to do something that obvious though.

For some reason I feel like Aqua's going to get Memcho interested in him too somehow (maybe by bonding over liking stuff that older people like but teenagers don't) just to have literally all of the new B-Komachi and Akane as potential love interests. Regardless of the flash-forward, there's already too many girls after Aqua for the story to have him only date Akane.

I feel like Aqua and Ruby finally talking about their past lives to each other is going to be a top-tier chapter just for the comedy involved in Ruby's reaction to realizing that her massive crush is on her biological brother.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

There's also every possibility that Aqua and Ruby's dad gave Ai's address to a friend or associate of his that he had no clue was stalking Ai or was going to attack her. Seeing how much Aqua's pissed at a guy like that when he finds him seems like a better story result than the other extreme of their dad having arranged this as a straight-up assassination.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

drat, good on Aka for throwing me a curveball and giving me what I expected and predicted, but not in the way I expected/predicted it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

Aqua is going to find their dad but have a change of heart for whatever reason, and then their dad is going to mysteriously disappear and the last panel of the manga will be Ruby with a big smile on her face and normal eyes.

I'd be all for it. No more stars in any eyes, but for very different reasons.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Sweet! You never know with this kind of stuff if it'll get animated, and if so for how long. If they can get all the way to Ruby's big double black star eye moment and end it there, that seems like a natural ending point. That's got to be longer then a single cour though, so where do you expect they'll end things at the first cour?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

After watching the prelude again in the anime, I've got some predictions.

The one that seems sensible is that Ai was reincarnated as well and will end up meeting Aqua and Ruby at some point. That's just a nice way to give a happy ending to the tragic start, and once you've established that people can be reincarnated and keep their memories it seems like this would be very much on the table as a possibility.

The crazy prediction is that Ai was reincarnated into a character we've seen often in the manga but haven't really dipped into the head of. With Sarina's reincarnation happening well after she died, I feel like time doesn't really become a factor and for all we know she could've reincarnated to a time before she died (which seems like a stretch and weird, but it doesn't seem impossible). Memcho is one of my top picks for this theory, though I think we've been into her headspace at least once in a way that would make it not work out. I mostly just think this could be the case because all the emphasis on lying really has me thinking that Ai could've come back and just maintained a lie of living a false life/not interacting with her kids as a form of love by not traumatizing them with the crazy situation of her returning from the dead. There also isn't really a character younger than Aqua and Ruby that seems like a candidate to be a "Secret Ai" either.

I also feel like if Ai reincarnated she'll step up into things before Aqua completes his revenge plan, either to make him not go through with it or take revenge herself to spare him and Ruby.

Of course, the story loses some of its tragic impact if Ai does come back, but it just seems like that's the natural happy ending for things to reach eventually.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm pretty bummed that soon after I posted about hoping that Ai got reincarnated into someone too to give us a happy ending, the closest thing we've seen so far to God in the manga came right out and said "Yeah nope, she's dead and gone forever."

It's still a strong story choice to make everything as impactful as possible, but drat after seeing those early chapters again animated (and with one of my favorite VA's as AI making it sting even more) I really wanted Ai to not just be gone.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Star eyes have been notable in characters for so long, and kept evolving over the course of the manga, so I feel like there's more to it than just purely a mood/mindset indicator.

My headcanon is that everyone in the manga and anime see the star eyes just like we do and just go with it or think the characters are wearing special contacts that they actually aren't wearing.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I stumbled across the love and lies theory and it certainly seems like it'd make for a fun and wild development. It probably isn't true, but it'd be hard to do a proper gamechanger ending that recontextualizes everything up to that point better than the broad strokes that the theory puts out there.

I do think us dumb readers will be explicitly told what the different colors of eye-stars symbolize at some point, and that it won't be quite as simple as black star eyes = wanting revenge for Ai's death.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

Didn't read it yet, guess its not doing so hot?

I liked what I read of it, but it didn't instantly grab me. I figure Aka will make it interesting overall, but I also think you need to essentially be a generational talent in the mangaka space to pull off 3 successful series in a row or make your one big hit keep going forever at a high quality One Piece style. I won't hold it against him if Renai doesn't turn out well, and if he is committing to just writing stuff then he'll be able to take way more swings at things which I approve of.

Although the setup of the rom com in Renai is quite different, I do worry that he used up his best rom com material in Kaguya and thus we're left with the leftovers for Renai. And while Aka's leftovers are better than your average manga's writing (in my own biased opinion), the characters are missing that extra zest that Kaguya's had so far.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I love seeing that type of power graph whenever it pops up, so it was fun to see it here.

Seeing them actually start to take the first steps into making this movie really hammered home to me that we're in the endgame now, and I'm gonna be sad to see this fine manga end in what I expect to be 30-ish more chapters at the most.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

The most obvious comparison that comes to mind for this movie is Selena, right down to the family of the subject being heavily involved in the development process. You can even imagine Akane having a JLo-esque breakout from successfully playing Ai if Ruby hadn't hijacked the role for herself :v:

Selana's actually a really good comparison, yeah. I certainly can't think of one that fits better if you wanted to think of what a Western culture version of this "movie based on Ai" situation would look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The UK (and Japan, if Xelkelvos's recollection is accurate) have libel laws that are much more favorable to the aggrieved party bringing the case -- that is, it's much easier to prove malicious intent to harm one's reputation than, say, in the US and other countries where the laws have more grounding in free-speech principles.

So in short if the movie is straight-up accusing a prominent entertainment-industry figure of being a murderer (and probably other things) without it having been demonstrated in a court of law, it would be extremely easy for that guy to absolutely wreck everyone involved by bringing a libel case (edit: and in a movie claiming to be a biopic with real names and everything, that would probably be standing for a libel case in any country). So the movie must be intending to accomplish Aqua's goal some other way, but it's hard to see what. If Aqua does have slam-dunk evidence up his sleeve, maybe he's predicting it would just get buried if he tried sending it through normal channels -- but if it came out during discovery as part of a messy, high-profile lawsuit, it would be much harder to ignore. That's all I've got anyway.

That's at least plausible if he has absolute total slam dunk proof. I don't know what that proof could be though unless he tracked down flawless video footage that clearly shows the mastermind giving Ai's location to the guy with the knife and telling him to kill her or acknowledging that he knows this guy will go kill her. I feel like that's the uno reverse he'd need to have on hand for a libel trial as a way to get it fully on the record. With how weird Japan is it wouldn't surprise me if it still resulted in him losing the libel trial, but I imagine he's fine with that if he was able to get that evidence into the court record and picked up by the media at large.

My theory is that the movie is all about getting the revenge target to come after Aqua for making the movie or generally reveal himself to Aqua. Hunting the guy down himself may not be practical, but getting the guy to show up and then killing him when he does might be the plan.

I trust Aka to come up with something cool though regardless.