Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Aha, god drat.

I got O-05-76 in my game this last day. And no matter what I did to it, I couldn't get a single work success. Any work type, any level of agent, nothing; it just kept failing and breaking out, killing people and forcing me to reset.
I couldn't figure out what it wanted, wasn't getting any PE-boxes to unlock the managerial advice even if I let a bunch of agents die for it, and worse I was on day 21 so if I wanted to reload from repository to get rid of it I'd have to start right over from day 1.

Then I had an inkling. It was a stupid idea, surely that wasn't what was going on. But I tried just not looking at it and that turned out to be what you had to do.

Absolute bastard. I love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

EDIT: So I just got Violet Noon :stonk: One of them spawned in base room of the training room and instakilled my entire team there. What in the actual gently caress.

No one ever forgets their first Violet Noon.

In fact, I think it's designed specifically to make sure you don't. They don't show up until you have a Training or Safety team, and they only have the one spawn location in those departments, so if you're not expecting it that will happen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

Is it weird to be stressed yet enjoy the game? After my first session, I really need a moment to compose myself and calm down. The game is so good at eliciting tension out of spinning a billion plates and trying to keep them all up. Then the abnormalities can be terrifying such as Wall Gazer that scare the life out of me. It’s a type of horror I haven’t experienced as you try to keep everything running and dreading when you know it’s all going to fall apart.

Lobotomy Corp is so good at stress. Stress is key to the experience of most games, whether it's sharp spikes in an action game or the slow, creeping feeling in a management sim. I don't think I've played two days in a row of this since day 4 or so; the stress of keeping everything together generally needs a bigger break than one or two cutscenes and the deployment screen. But that feeling of stress is also what makes the game so engaging; you're worried about keeping all your plates spinning but also satisfied about how you continue to do so.

LC's approach does have its downsides. Since there's no time limit other than special circumstances, you can take all the time you want doing most things. Since the main challenge of the game is about keeping everything in your attention, that makes the most optimal way to play taking it slowly, at low speeds and with as few of your staff occupied at a time as reasonable to limit the amount of things you need to keep track of. This is, however, also the most boring way to play. It doesn't challenge your attention span as well, while needlessly increasing the risks involved in the later parts of the day - it feels like you're going to lose more if you have to reset a day after 30 minutes than if you do after 15, even if you achieved the same goals.

The other downside, which really only just occurred to me while writing the stress paragraph, is that since you can end the day whenever you like with it almost never being a good idea to do so immediately, you don't really get as strong a sense of relief from ending a day as you could have, because you always know you could have kept going. It was entirely your choice to stop here, rather than an extrinsic milestone. It's the difference between reaching the top of a 2km-high mountain, and reaching the 2km point of a 4km-high mountain. You've gone as far and it could have been equally challenging, but the lower summit is more satisfying to hit if you're going to stop there. Even if you were aiming for that mid-point on the high mountain from the start, you just don't get the same sense of achievement when you can see you could have gone further.

I wonder if the game would have been improved by giving you a set time to complete the day. It would solve both of those problems - taking things too slowly becomes discouraged, and you have a fixed point at which you can breath a sigh of relief and say you made it through conclusively. You could still allow the player to end the day early once you reach your quota, possibly at a LOB penalty compared to finishing at closing time, but it would offer a clear conclusion point.

Despite all these words I really love LC's overall game design; it's only because it's so good in the majority of respects that I can point out specific things that keep it from being perfect.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is it possible to remove Crumbling Armour's fire? It seems to count as a hat, so I sent the agent that got it to do instinct/insight work on Void Dream (8% chance of giving a hat) repeatedly all the way from level 2 to level 5 and it still didn't get overwritten. At least I had the mirror so I can still get points onto temperance and justice for him...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, my latest day and now all days to come:

Is it me or are Tiphereth's missions really easy for the point in the game they show up? Needing to end the day before the 8th/7th/6th Qliphoth cycle, when I'm hitting my quota in the 4th or so just by figuring out my new abnormalities, followed by "don't let something melt down", which has happened all of once to me the entire game so far. The latter, at least is more complicated by this point than it would have been earlier, but mostly they just serve to get in the way of the "survive a dusk ordeal" quest if you didn't do it immediately (which I didn't because I had barely any gear above teth level at that point).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Does the skill level/threat level ratio for training take into account modifiers like You Must Be Happy? Seems it could be useful to bottom out someone's stats and get them hammering away at One Sin or whatever for their easy level 1 gains. Or if it doesn't, boost a complete newbie to the nines and get them working Waws and Alephs out of the gate for big gains.

I should probably use that thing more than I do, although getting more than +20 or so is hard to do carefully.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jimmydalad posted:

I was just casually playing when I noticed this which amused me.

Glad Charlotte has something to look forward to.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well, I made it through a Green Dusk with only two deaths, thanks to some good advice I got on Discord the last time I tried. Could probably have avoided those too if I were paying closer heed, but I was deathballing so it was hard to see the health bars.

Unfortunately I lost two more lives when the Clerk's Rights Squad escaped in the commotion. Woulda only lost one to it (which taught me how to avoid that) but I had to send someone deep into the dark department to tag the bloody train.

So here's my facility as at day 26, represented by things that aren't my abnormalities.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TeeQueue posted:

Also the LP discord mentioned in the sandcastle thread will sometimes talk about the game in the general chat, but it's not a focused discord so. :v:

Which is the Discord I got the advice from! From you, if I recall correctly. It was very helpful.

Anyway, since y'all wanted to know what they are:

Control:
One Sin and One Hundred Good Deeds
1.76 Mhz
Old Lady
Mirror of Adjustment

Information:
Today's Shy Look
Punishing Bird
The Lady Facing The Wall
You Must Be Happy

Safety:
King of Greed
The Red Shoes
Notes from a Crazed Researcher
The Dreaming Current

Training:
Void Dream
Crumbling Armour
Scorched Girl
Old Faith And Promise

Central:
Happy Teddy Bear
Schadenfreude
Child of the Galaxy
Backwards Clock
The Snow Queen
Big Bird
Porccubus
Express Train To Hell

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 30, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The main thing to know in the first arc of the game there is to not just end every day the moment you're able. Working abnormalities trains your agents' stats even if you've got all the PE you need. A comfortable place to be around day 21 is when you've got a bunch of rank 4 and maybe a few rank 5 agents; you've got no reason for anyone to be rank 1 for more than a day or rank 2 for more than a couple by now. You're probably earning enough LOB to bump up a bunch of stats to 2 or 3 (except Justice); don't forget you can do that to existing agents during deployment.

And you don't have to rush out the Dusk Ordeal mission just because you can now. It won't unlock anything new until you've done all Tiphereth's missions anyway, and if you're lacking in He or Waw gear, all the abnormalities you get over the few days it takes to do those missions will help you bulk up your dudes to handle one.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Speaking of "Core Suppression" missions are they something I should be doing as soon as they become available, despite being still on like day 25, or are they end-game stuff? Both gameplay-wise and story-wise.

Do them as soon as you can, but be prepared to reset to memory repository afterwards; they're brutal. Of the ones I've tried so far they don't get easier or harder with more progress but the rewards are very good.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Reset to Repository (the 5-day one) does keep the intel and gear you've unlocked. However your employees will be reset to the condition the state they were on that day. If they were wearing EGO gear that you lost between the checkpoint and reset, they'll lose it, since your EGO gear getting saved goes both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

How the heck am I supposed to handle Gebura's mission where she asks you to suppress different ALEPHs? I don't think I can do that once, let alone multiple different ones.

Well, the solution used in the LP was to defeat Apocalypse Bird - it counts as three separate Alephs.