Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The world being poo poo because of a secret technology making it that way would really gently caress up the world-building, imo. It's good sci-fi because you can see how all of it happens and how nobody can do anything to stop it. Everyone is being exploited by someone above them, and the way they can take the pressure off is by exploiting someone else below them. Push back, you get killed and replaced, the system adapts and survives. It's grim as poo poo, and I really like it. The conversation with Yesod where he and Roland have an argument about people being complacent about how the tech they use is built on human suffering is one of my favorite bits of Ruina so far because it hits home in a very particular way.

Acerbatus posted:

It just sounds like some kind of weird brainwashing to me.

The plan was actually made pretty clear in LC. Deep LC spoilers: L Corp's Singularity wasn't extracting energy from Abnormalities, it was producing EGO, by way of them. At some point, you learn that the reason Random Agent #56 can suddenly duel with a sword is because EGO exists inside of all of our collective unconscious, and is a part of us. Carmen's idea was based on her belief that people were so ground down by society, they couldn't actually even allow themselves to dream of a better world. Ayin takes this idea and plans to release The Light for seven days, which would impart the ability to everyone to manifest their emotions and desires into EGO. A great equalizing effect of making us all demiurges or something. Is this what Carmen would've done? We have no idea. Probably not, because that sort of 'I'll just give everyone godlike powers and then immediately die' sounds like exactly the sort of plan a self-destructive recluse would come up with, but the ideals behind it are solid. Instead, everyone got halfway lit and, importantly, nobody was there to tell them what the gently caress just happened. Ruina gets into what that means for people.

The end of LC kicks rear end, and I just hit Star of the City in Ruina and I'm liking it just as much, if not more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

running a Smoke Crew against the mountain works great, because of the 0-cost all defense light gain card. just spam that on the adds while you dps race the boss

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I'm on the Star of the City row 3 fights and christ I don't even know which one I should throw myself against first

It seems like R Corp is probably the easiest? and getting the exclusive cards would be nice for me, since I use myo and maxim a fair amount

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

tbh I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting a reception similar to one of the SotC ones where we try our hands at getting the book of The Arbiter as she was when she wiped us out, giving Binah a new keypage.

Yinlock posted:

R corp isn't too tough, just get the Gebura train going and choo choo all over them(you might have to let someone else take a round though because it is a 4 fight endurance match

This is what I ended up doing, yeah. Turns out the secret, as always, is Netzach's floor. Love that guy.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the second phase is basically just a scripted victory lap tho? if you have two or less librarians left it might gently caress up i guess

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

losing in that last segment would be awful though, that sucks. the servant of wrath phase of the pre-nihil fight can go straight to hell, i hosed that up like three times

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

A lot of Ruina really falls into place once you realize that a bad clash is worse than just taking the hit outright and using that card in a one-side.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Yeah it tilts back again once you have like, floor specific playstyles, but I spent way too long in the midgame just getting blown out on clashes that I could've easily taken to the chin and getting not much in return.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The only downside to Yujin is that anything that works off %HP is going to wreck you, but otherwise its an incredible page, yeah.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

you can see the shading indicating a separate finger, its almost certainly hands, unless she's got some wild clothing choices on under that cloak

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

https://twitter.com/CoolKidsClubTL/status/1415916624889139201?s=20

translated art book coming later this year!

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

late sotc , con't:

Rapid Gashes and Clone are incredible together, even. my yujin deck is 3x of those, plus 3x overcome, and its brutal

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The first fight post sotc requiring the books that it does is a crime. I clutched it out but I would've instantly installed the mod if I had lost for sure

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

They changed that awhile ago, you get to reuse pages after each layer (Asiya, Briah, Aziluth) now.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Yeah, you have a single character use one high speed dice to get the status, and a lower speed dice to clash against the other one in the same turn.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

might be worth drafting a new OP/thread since the official launch is happening, and this is still the lobcorp thread?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Yeah, use whatever floor you prefer as much as you want. Urban Nightmare is when deck archetypes really start to come into their own, and then you'll be plucking the best cards out of each reception for decks, or getting new archetypes completely. The early game is a lot of just dumping all your garbage cards for whatever good ones you can get your hands on, though yeah.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The R Corp exclusives are easy to forget too. Also, you probably have enough Brace Ups from getting the Hana pages, but almost every deck wants brace up so its worth checking.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

don't believe any slander about kims exclusive card. either it wins, and its kim so it probably just wins, or you get to use the coolest* card in the game

* id also accept boundary of death

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I just had the assistants take all the contracts. With all the block passives, Hokma shouldn't need a boost.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I assumed the third smartest person in the city could very likely be Iori, considering the invention

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Acerbatus posted:

Even putting aside the mobile game worries, I am deeply skeptical about their idea to make multiple realities or whatever (apparently) a core plot point.

Its class stuff, you can see them promo it with SSR Gregor (Rhino)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Project Moon: A Bus Is Just A Tiny Train

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

alternately, Train to Limbusan

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

live games DO allow you to do things with longform storytelling thats harder to do in one and done releases, to be fair. my tolerance for gacha is pretty high though, but im always willing to let them stretch their wings w/r/t storytelling mediums

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Something the final ruina fight puts in context is how insane actually wielding EGO poo poo is, making you realize just how hosed up L Corp agents were, even compared to late game ruina nuggets. LC spoilers, obv All of your agents deathballing a Claw during White Midnight and just clowning on him puts in perspective just how much power Ayin was just sort of casually tossing around. Angela doesn't have nearly as much control over the abnormalities, so in ruina you get to borrow Der Freischütz's gun for a couple turns, and only when everyone is peaking in emotions, but in LC you just gave someone the gun and said 'go wild, kid'.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Yeah the panic thing always lowers punishing's counter, so it was probably that. Long bird doesn't have any counter manipulation outside of work results, so hes usually always breached by the other two escaping.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Getting those post-sotc cards basically changes your entire deck structure, yeah. brace up is basically the perfect engine for almost every single deck archetype outside of like, clone gashes. hana association truly is different

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

here's the text of the whole thing, from the discord

quote:

Hello everyone. This Project Moon’s Director Kim Jihoon speaking.
To commemorate the new year, we’ve collected fan questions and picked out a number of them to answer in this video.
To start, let me say that your questions helped us to better understand your expectations for our studio and what more you wish to know about us.
Although we can’t afford to reply to every one of your questions...
We’ll keep all of them in mind and reflect them through our work.

Q: Will you open HamHamPangPang in other countries?
A: Realistically, it’d be difficult to open and manage a HHPP branch overseas. Once the ongoing pandemic settles down, though, we’d like to take part in global cons such as PAX, TGS, GDC, or events like Comiket. And hopefully hold small pop-up retail spaces. We hope to provide a chance for foreign fans to experience HHPP in some way.

Q: Will Limbus Company support multiple platforms?
A: We have plans to release Limbus Company for Android, Apple (iOS), and PC. The video only showed Google Play as there was uncertainty in the App Review process. Similar to some other recent releases, we’d like it to be a multiplatform game where the player can access their game data anywhere with a single account. There are no plans to bring the game to consoles at the moment.

Q: What business model does Limbus have? And what motivated you to choose it?
A: Limbus Company will be free-to-play with optional monetization and collectibles. Please allow me to explain our reasons for creating with this type of business model. The 1st reason we’re releasing a game with this business model is to secure wealth. We want to establish financial stability to venture into other genres and artforms. We also have aims to tackle larger games like a 3rd-person ARPG set in the City. Since capital is a necessary component for achieving any of that, we felt it was right to go with a profitable business model. The 2nd reason is to tell an ongoing story through continuous updates. Being traditional games, LC and LOR could only tell their tales for so long. They need a concrete ending at some point, thus the story can only last a short while. Limbus Company will be a long-term project exploring the fictive world at length. I’ve played a number of mobile games for a long time myself, so I’ve seen mobile gaming as a field we should tackle at one point. It goes without saying that the platform has its own advantages and challenges. We will carefully strive to capitalize on its uniqueness to develop a fun game. We’re well aware that many fans are very concerned regarding the topic of the mobile platform and certain business models. We will do our best to strike a keen balance between profitability and engagement in order to deliver what the players want. We’re preparing a story for Limbus Co. that will stand on its own as a long-span plot which will double as the backbone for the setting of Project Moon’s world. After Limbus Co’s release, we will develop games in a parallel two-track dev cycle to bring you diverse and experimental projects. After this, we plan to create various games to further shape the world. In those works, characters first met in Limbus Company might be featured. Or perhaps they might follow brand new characters in completely different locales. Highlighting points that connect to each other in the world. The tale of the City will, of course, eventually come to an end one day. But until then, we’d like to show journeys to that finale from many varied viewpoints. Because of these reasons and plans, we’ve settled on a free-to-play business model. We will do all we can to show our gratitude for your appreciation over the years by providing quality content.

Q: What will become of the Distortion Detective?
A: We have no plans to resume the publication of the Distortion Detective novel series. However, a game revolving around it is in our post-Limbus development plans. It will feature the story of Moses, taking place around the time when they first get entangled into the events of Library of Ruina, and continue on to the point after its ending. It’s expected to be a detective-thriller visual novel with a sense of suspense.

Q: Do you have plans to write more spin-off novels?
A: While not entirely out of the question, it probably won’t happen in the near future. We feel that sharing such stories in future works via a polished form would be better than pushing them as spin-offs right away; we’re reluctant to announce such right now. If we were to publish a spin-off novel, it would most likely be short and small.

Q: What is the object plugged onto Argalia’s hair?
A: It’s a noise-generating device worn around the ear to constantly avoid silence. It plays hums of voices and chatter as if crowds were nearby, alongside white noise.

Q: Have Xiao and Yujin met each other?
A: They became acquainted with each other over several joint operations in the S. quarter. Collaborating to complete requests, they gradually got accustomed to being a team. They were likely good allies, but if they held mutual respect in private matters is a different question altogether.

Q: How does Netzach get his beer?
A: He takes the liquor out of books. However, not all of them are capable of yielding alcohol; only certain books are appropriate vehicles for materializing beer. Looking for the right sorts is one of Netzach’s usual pastimes.

Q: What would happen if Boris distorted?
A: Imagine his Distortion as a symbolic manifestation of a [hydraulic] press. It’s a menacing contraption that crushes everything within. Defiance, ambition, and greed were the defining keywords for Boris’ character.

Q: Why doesn’t Miris address Xiao with honorifics?
A: Miris and Xiao are long-time associates who began their Fixer careers at the same time. They’ve been through life-or-death situations together, so they don’t mind speaking in a casual tone when talking about private matters.

Q: I’d like to know how tall Carmen and Ayin are.
A: Carmen is 169.7cm tall, but she likes to claim that she’s 170. (※ T/N: Imperial is 5’6 and ¾” => 5’7”) Ayin’s height is 176 centimeters. (※ T/N: About 5’9”)

Q: Are you going to delve into Charles’ Office at some point?
A: We hope to elaborate more on their Office any way we can in the future, through games or other forms of content. Charles’ Office has yet more to show.

Q: Will Limbus Company be dubbed?
A: Limbus Company is planned to come with voiced dialogues.

Q: Are you going to include voice-overs in other languages for your games?
A: There are no plans for that right now. Due to the nature of the world, a chara can reappear years after they first show up, so we need to be particularly careful when it comes to choosing voice actors. And unlike voice actors in our native tongue whose direction we can comment on, it’s difficult for us to get involved in the production for other languages, not to mention that we have little information on the foreign VA scene. Still, we’d like to have a go at it if we get the proper opportunity.

Q: Are you going to release LINE stickers based on Library of Ruina?
A: Yes, we have plans to make LINE stickers.

Q: Have you ever considered pitching escape room themes based on LOR or LC?
A: I think an escape room venue is a fun and realistically approachable idea. (※ T/N: Escape Room Café’s have been rather popular in S. Korea lately.) It wouldn’t be a bad idea to give it a shot someday. We might even build an entire theme park one day, like Project Moonland.

Q: Will there be a crowdfunding campaign for Limbus Company?
A: We don’t expect to open a crowdfunding page for the development of the game itself. There could be some for bonus merch such as artbooks or albums later down the line.

Q: Where in the City is Limbus Company going to take place?
A: Our goal is to place each part of the City in the spotlight as the player explores it. Since we plan to develop long-term, we believe it possible to show most areas.

Q: Do you have plans to create other forms of media in the future?
A: Yes, we’re especially interested in animations and figurines. We’d definitely like to try our hand at it once we can afford to.

Q: Regarding your future games, what genre is the most likely to be next?
A: We can’t give any definitive comments on likelihood, but as we mentioned earlier, we’re most interested in developing a 3rd-person ARPG.

Q: Is there a guideline for fanworks of Project Moon’s titles and spin-offs?
A: Generally, we freely allow fanworks as long as it’s not done for commercial purposes. We’ll disclose more details in a future document/guideline. We’re always grateful for people engaging in creative exercises in celebration of our works; I’d even say fanworks are one of the major drivers in rousing Project Moon’s contents. We heartily encourage you to keep it up. We’d welcome it if it’s something we could deem appropriate.

Q: Does Project Moon have any plans to do collabs with other games and the like?
A: It could be a fun event as long as it won’t hurt either’s atmosphere or direction.

Q: How big is Project Moon?
A: There were 7 members around LOR’s Early Access debut, but we currently have a staff of a little more than 30 members. With a larger size than ever, we’ll be sure to pour extra effort into creating outstanding games.

Q: Is Project Moon sailing smooth to the wealth and fame it aspired to reach?
A: Thanks to your support, we’re gradually moving through our goals. We hope Limbus Company will be a firm step towards our ambitions.

Q: What is Project Moon’s course for the future, and what do you wish to show fans?
A: We want to tell the story of the City through a diverse range of works. We hope the various occurrences in the City and the lives of its denizens will give the players something to resonate with, even if just a little. We have a great diversity of themes and materials ready, and there’s more to come. We’ll let our work speak for us.

Q: The teaser said Limbus Company will be released in Winter 2022... when exactly?
A: The game is planned to be released some time in November or December of 2022. We know it’s a shame it can’t come to you sooner, but please wait patiently. We’ll try our best to keep on with the schedule. Pre-registration will probably begin some time in Summer 2022.

Q: Lastly, is there anything you wish to say to the fans rooting for Project Moon?
A: As we remind ourselves that the company could only survive thanks to your support, and know where the hands that feed us are coming from, we aspire to be as transparent and honest to you guys, the players, as possible. Games cannot thrive without their fans and consumers. We’ll work to discover the middle ground of the fans’ desires and our artistic vision. And we hope you will stay with us on the way to creating engaging stories.

This has been Director Kim Jihoon of Project Moon. Please look forward to our future endeavors. Thank you all.

im obviously a little wary about a gacha game, but optimistically there IS storytelling you can only do with a long running live game (mobile games, mmos) that you can't do in a standard 40-80 hour game.

also a 3rd person arpg in the City sounds rad

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ZeroCount posted:

Tanya gets described as an 'executive' member of the Middle so she must have been really high up in it, presumably for her combat power. I'm curious what she was doing during Roland's rampage though, since she she probably could have beaten his rear end.

She, iirc, got her rear end kicked by him, its why she distorted. In the same way that Pluto was the guy with the bad contract Roland shook down in that one flashback.

They never have the characters say this straight up, but it's cycles of revenge all the way down. It rules.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Well, its more that whenever we hear about her, its always as "L'heure du Loup." Even if she was a high ranking syndicate exec, its really only after distorting that she becomes a name that people talk about. Kalo is a big deal, but he's nowhere near a Color, who we see are practically syndicates unto themselves.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

On the other hand: Could that fight have been anything else? Dramatic law demanded it.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The latter. You can quit the game just fine, you just can't exit out of the whole thing and go back to farm more pages and stuff.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Netzach was I think my most used floor for most of the game because he just doesn't die. So if I just wanted to run generic good decks with no plan in mind, I just shook my boy awake and sent him to work

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

R-Corp 2 basically fills out 3-4 ideal B-team decks to perfection, so its more of a quantity over quality thing. I was never too fond of Rudolphs kit, though.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Forgetting to get Disposal before locking in the endgame felt so bad lmao

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Only one I feel strongly about still is doing SOTC R Corp 2 -> Iori -> Xiao -> Yan

iori is surprisingly easy, since the nasty surprise gimmick basically just equals out to having one less floor available. and yans just a pain in the rear end

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

other people might remember more specific stuff but the most important part is that you combine it with Myo's passive that adds power based on the speed differential, so that her infinite die becomes incredibly powerful, and her other high speed die just became normally very powerful, ensuring that the minimum damage requirements on her abilities are always hit

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

weird, ive never seen that. frankly, the cheese strat for that fight is cool enough that I don't think anyone should feel bad about using it, its extremely satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

thats lore compliance