Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a really good song but its a rough listen when you know its based on a real kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

verbal enema posted:

oh poo poo my bad

nah no worries like i said its a good song and i dont think theres anything wrong with it existing, its art based on a real tragedy that isnt exploitative n all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

i will watch/read some slayers someday in honor of the artist drawing lina in shimakaze cosplay

post it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

Hey I've been thinking, why is it that character concept art in anime always has an arm out at an angle with extended fingers? Once you've noticed it, it is hard to ignore.
To show how clothing moves/hangs and the details of the sides of their clothes/body

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

The main antagonist of part 4 was a clone of Leonardo da Vinci.
good ol hitler's come up a few times

and goemon's a descendent of ishikawa goemon, much like lupin is a descendant of arsene lupin

the difference is ishikawa goemon was a real guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

From what I've heard he wasn't a fan of the increased amount of jokes with Kimura. Though Azuma is still the guy who created the Kimura character so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And of course it's easy to go 'well Yotsuba doesn't really have anything like Kimura' but if you look at stuff like Kuma Miko, didn't I say to make my abilities average in the next life (I think that was the one?) and any of the recent production dumpster fires we've all already forgotten the name of, there's plenty of ways for an adaptation to go wrong, between bizarre writing changes, production committee mandated rushing to get certain marketable things introduced earlier than they were in the manga , bad anime original material, and production meltdowns. I can get not wanting your work to have an anime.

Like, I'm sure plenty of mangaka have that as one of their goals, and I'm sure most who have gotten anime adaptations are at least somewhat happy it helped get the word out (and plenty who adored how their manga's anime adaptation turned out) but at the end of the day it's still mostly a marketing tool for the manga's publishers and a chance to create cash-in merch. It doesn't have any bearing on the manga itself, and unless it's a DBZ level merchandising monster it's not like you're even getting that many kickbacks from it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

What do people think of Muv-Luv around here? I've heard some good things but figured I'd check
The visual novel series is pretty good but insanely long and even as someone who loves useless fluff, it's got more useless fluff than it really needs. The various prequels and spinoffs are average at best from what I've seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The first game is honestly pretty funny but yeah, it is an over the top early 2000s romantic comedy with an insanely long subplot about lacrosse. And the second is entirely training on a military base. It is two full visual novels before you are reading about shooting aliens in giant robots. And that buildup is important and a lot of whats in that earlier stuff is good but expect to spend 100 hours of your life on something that's all over the map, instead of wanting to read about giant robots for 20 hours or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Naoko Takeuchi was forced to accommodate the 90s anime in her manga (introducing new villains, couldnt do certain plot points) and also had no creative input on the anime (she really didnt like how pretty much everything in stars was handled, or how haruka was depicted). These are both completely valid complaints and I get why she'd want to make a 'new' anime for a new generation that is much closer to her vision for what is essentially her life's work.

However, the sailor moon manga kinda sucks while the 90s anime rules.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

So the manga author was basically forced to make changes in her comic around the anime that got more popular and that she had no input on? That’s a huge bummer regardless of the end result and honestly kinda hosed when the same industry has poo poo like One Piece that just chooses not to adapt side stories from the manga that eventually became/will assuredly become relevant. I don’t really see why her manga couldn’t have been it’s own thing if it meant so much to her :(
because sailor moon was a money printing machine mostly

shes never outright said it but she definitely seems to feel like it was mostly because she was a woman making stuff for girls, the male shonen authors who got anime aroudn that time seemed to have much more input

Willo567 posted:

Are there any other adaptations where the vast majority of fans prefer the anime over the original manga?
one punch man kinda
k-on, new game
not a manga but people seem to think the 2003 kino anime is a lot better than the novels and the recent adaptation of them that was a little closer to them

Jose posted:

last time i asked in here for something to watch i got recommended acca 13 which i really liked. Is there anything like it on crunchyroll or at least a good action series not based on a manga i've probably read?
house of five leaves is based on a manga by the same author as acca's original manga, so theres plot similarities and a somewhat similar artstyle (though dead leaves is more stylized.) try that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

crystal doesn't interest me but there's a ton of value to the sailor moon manga for its art, like it just constantly looks gorgeous. pluto is so much better there it's not even funny.

there's also great content on dynasty

pluto is the one character who definitely wins out in the manga compared to the anime yeah

and im def. not saying the manga is bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah if ntohing else chiaki kon is incredibly talented and im glad she got paid

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i agree outfit wise but on the flipside the whole 'haruka is neither a man nor a woman' shtick is definitely *not* naoko takeuchi being woke, lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Sailor Mars doing the “hold up finger guns to charge a fireball” attack was the coolest goddamn thing to me as a little lad. Im an adult now and its still cool as hell
i like that rei in sailor moon and yusuke in yu yu hakusho both do that, indepdently of each other, and then the authors of those manga got married

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

you don't need to play chaos;child (or is it chaos;head?) to play steins;gate, right?
Well one of these is an obscurity and the other is one of the biggest anime of the 2010s, so

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

I remember people being down on RoboticsNotes, but I've seen some people holding a torch for the VNs ever since they got locs announced.
Robotics;Notes has direct connections to s;g so people were expecting something more like it, but r;n is mostly its own thing tonally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I guess say, Astolfo in Apocrypha also had a 'fondness for crossdressing' but he did it explicitly as a joke so :shrug:
not really? it makes astolfo happy so they do it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Megalobox seems like a good anime that you have to watch through a windows movie maker filter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Someone edit this so she's standing next to various beta strains

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drat, age gap in a shoujo from 1996?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wing owns. Theres a scene where two guys are dying because theyre in a jail cell on a spaceship with their oxygen cut off and they decide to just look at pictures of yheir giant robots and go 'man wed beat SO many guys up if we had out giant robots.'

Theres a scene where two characters are having an argument on a dock and one of them is losing so he just steps to the side onto a raft thats randomly there and just floats off and the camera watches him float off silently for like 2 minutes

Theres a scene where a guy loses a fight, bows, and then just walks out of the room and into the ocean and silently floats to the bottom

And the show has like five things like this every episode. Theres no such thing as a boring episode of gundam wing

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 20, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its like if a war drama was also a shakesperean character drama and was also written by six people, alternating episodes, in separate rooms, who couldnt talk to each other, and the rooms all had gas leaks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Every scene with Treize is gold, but the pinnacle is when he makes Wufei the most owned boy in all of history.
my personal favorite is the episode where he builds a giant robot in his basement and then goes 'cool robot, huh heero. alright, let's make a suicide pact.' and then when heero comes back and just falls out of the robot unconscious treize just goes 'drat. who am i gonna kill myself with now.' and the fact that these two characters made a suicide pact is never referenced again

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for a show from 1995 its really prescient about war on terror stuff. not just the drones but there's literally a scene where a character goes 'those suits like to pretend having all these weapons makes us strong. the fact is, they're just proof of how cowardly we are. whenever we feel insecure, we just drop money on another warship, or a new platoon of mechs.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know the bit of eureka seven where they get stuck in those weird alien woods for like two episodes

imagine if that was like a dozen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Oh neat a Fate RPG, and it looks like its the prequel to the Extella games?
Its a remake of the game the extella games were sequels to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It explains the moon thing. The alteregos are in ccc, the sequel. Ccc would be fairly easy to make with this much groundwork so its probably going to be done after this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

Are they writing a novel on a tablet keyboard
self-insert fanfic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hungry posted:

For an infrequently published manga about two girls occasionally talking after eating fast food, Food Court sure is great.

good news its getting a serialization

no word on when tho, i imagine covid delayed stuff like that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

Harukana ended?
it didnt, but its monthly. having time for a second manga with an irregular schedule def. isnt out of the realm of possibility

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well, and also the second half of the manga isnt as good either. its just straight up the series being dragged out because its popular.

imo gl's second half is the best part

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

first half of gurren lagann: some idiots wander around a desert
second half of gurren lagann: actual themes and poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

If TTGL is supposed to be a homage to mecha I kind of really want to know which show homages Simon’s downward spiral of depression and self loathing because it’s really well told.
some of shinji's emotional breakdowns in eva? it feels a bit victory gundamish too maybe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

how was planet with I don't really see anybody talk about it much
extremely good, if nothing else the episode with the two judo girls was incredible

very funny too

tries to cram a lot of plot into 12 eps but it never drags at least

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

importantly, shiki's cousin who gets mentioned like twice in the vn becomes a fully playable character who beats up vampires with bajiquan
yeah melty does a great job expanding on minor concepts. miyako, aoko, kouma, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this guy is so bad for following pixiv accounts of photorealistic cp. here is the link to the photorealistic cp, without telling you that it is photorealistic cp before you click on it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not exactly going through what twitter is telling me is 'photorealistic cp' but is there anything actually explicitly saying the people depicted are underage or is it so obvious they are that you cant deny it

because like, plenty of adult japanese women look pretty young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

honestly the style of the 3dcg is unsettling enough i did not really want to look at it any more than i did
thats entirely fair

idk im just gunshy about calling a dude a pedophile for one pixiv follow based one one tweet by a 17 year old who does nothing but rt poo poo like

https://twitter.com/0ctoDoggo/status/1286001528990466049

about her kins

esp. when the immediate reaction is 'he unfollowed them, but what if hes SECRETLY STILL FOLLOWING THEM?' like drat bitch everyone on pixiv is now a criminal

like the cg's freaking weird even separate from possible accusations of pedophilia but there's a billion reasons someone could follow a random pixiv account. its a social site, you just hit follow on stuff. maybe they PM'd him to say they were a big eizouken fan and he followed them out of politeness

idk i prefer to take a look at concrete actions (like oda being friends with two convicted pedophiles, as in real kids) not following one shady pixiv account