Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So is Sailor Moon Crystal like a more faithful adaptation of the source material? It’s on Hulu too which made me remember that that was a thing, although it’s not like im gonna stop watching the original because that’s still pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

it's a more faithful adaptation to the point that it has the same weaknesses as the original manga without some of the more interesting changes that the old anime made. also the first couple seasons are uh, pretty ugly

I kinda suspected that would be the case after hearing how Tuxedo Mask was originally barely around but the anime has a scene where he tries dunking on Usagi and she asks him what kind of loser hangs out at an amusement park by themselves on the mini-train. I’ll probably just check it out myself out of curiosity eventually though.

Also maybe it’s my imagination but everyone constantly dunking on Usagi for being incompetent sort of has the same vibe as everyone dunking on Estelle from the Trails in the Sky series.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

Naoko Takeuchi was forced to accommodate the 90s anime in her manga (introducing new villains, couldnt do certain plot points) and also had no creative input on the anime (she really didnt like how pretty much everything in stars was handled, or how haruka was depicted). These are both completely valid complaints and I get why she'd want to make a 'new' anime for a new generation that is much closer to her vision for what is essentially her life's work.

However, the sailor moon manga kinda sucks while the 90s anime rules.

So the manga author was basically forced to make changes in her comic around the anime that got more popular and that she had no input on? That’s a huge bummer regardless of the end result and honestly kinda hosed when the same industry has poo poo like One Piece that just chooses not to adapt side stories from the manga that eventually became/will assuredly become relevant. I don’t really see why her manga couldn’t have been it’s own thing if it meant so much to her :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Rei is rad in general, I like that she can just do magic as like, a thing separate from being a guardian.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So they just got to the Sailor Jupiter intro episode and I guess Mars is my second favorite now became Jupiter just threw a monster before transforming.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm watching the original Gundam and I can't believe this dingus in a mask is gonna near singlehandedly chart the course of history for decades to come.

I really appreciate the fact that Char is just wearing a modified space basketball mask while dunking on non-Amaro people a bunch.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

MK at least got a new scenario thing in its PSP port.

Meanwhile, Soul Nomad..

Honestly I’m pretty cool with their side games just being different one-off sub genres of TRPGs. Makes them more charming in a way. Especially after the sequel to ZHP...

That said, that comes with the caveat that they get PC ports so they’re not stuck in JP PSP/PS2/3 jail forever

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Little Witch Academia is cute and good so far and I like the characters better than the ovas.

I never watched the OVAs but LWA Is easily my favorite Trigger show. Season 2 goes into the story a little more than I’d like but it’s nothing compared to some Trigger stuff where it just stops being the fun thing that it was in the first half.

Believing in yourself is your own magic!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

I've been watching Gurren Lagann, and it subtlety feels like the second half isn't as good as the first half. I'm sticking with it to the end though. I also feel like this statement can apply to a lot of other shows, Death Note is a good example. That second half was just too much.

The second half is just homaging a different type of mecha anime, so it can feel kinda eh before the end stretch that’s back to explosions. Iirc from what I’ve heard Death Note’s second half is just straight up a less faithful adaptation in that it abridges and glosses over a lot more of the manga compared to the stuff with L to stay on budget though, so there’s that too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

homeless snail posted:

dividing gurren lagann into halves, when it's at least thirds

Iirc isn’t each “part” kinda outlined by the title cards? Part 1 has the traditional Japanese style, 2 has the bubbly Nia one, 3 is sterile, and 4 is the traditional one again, iirc. I think people just call it two parts because the timeskip is an obvious one but the show shifts pretty heavily after Kamina’s death.

Space Flower posted:

i like all the parts of gl, but today what i might like best is post-ep8 up to the first half's end, the recovery from loss is really endearing. also after seeing the whole show+parallel works once and knowing lordgenome's deal it's really cool to see (the movies are a great rewatch) his tragedy being succeeded and overcome by a new generation

If TTGL is supposed to be a homage to mecha I kind of really want to know which show homages Simon’s downward spiral of depression and self loathing because it’s really well told.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Huh, I only watched Eva last year, I probably should have remembered it.

drat, it’s been a year since I watched Eva already. I should probably watch it again. :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I watched Eva twice last year. First with subs and then with the Netflix dub. Best things about the dub was deffo Shinji's new VA. I also enjoyed Greg Chun playing Kaji because it better underscored how much of a scum-rear end character he is.

I feel bad for a lot of the VAs in that dub because the new translation is so bad in parts and apparently that’s almost 100% the Japanese side’s meddling because of past drama with the Rebulds. The person that did Shinji was real good tho, yeah. I kinda wish they had just gotten Rei’s new VA to do Asuka though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I got to the episode of Sailor Moon that the really good gif came from and I’m surprised that that wasn’t even the best gag since there’s that bizzare amazing one where a tiny pink cat just starts chewing on Naru’s tail.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

You’re probably thinking of Aniplex, but Aniplex tends to do quite a lot of dubs nowadays as well. However, the cough up a lung part is still true, do you want to pay 300$ to own the Persona 5 anime? What a bargain!

Pony Canyon tried this as well but managed to flame out because I only bought their stupidly expensive Sound Euphonium and passed on everything else.

Lol, isn’t the persona 5 anime not even very good?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

while the persona 4 anime got a talented comedy director and tasked them with making a boring video game adaptation with a few moments where they were allowed to do something more interesting, persona 5 got an insanely talented animator who's adept at working with lighting and color, who has worked on some of the most stunning and imaginative openingss and fight scenes in anime, and tasked him with making a really boring by the books anime adaptation that never strays from the source material and never does anything interesting visually or story-wise

basically, anyone who wants to watch the persona 5 anime for whatever reason should watch this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTeLGxA1rrU

Man, it sounds like they almost had the right idea since P5 relies so much on its style but then they didn’t even try to do anything with it. I’d say at least the dub’ll be good for $300 but that’s not even a big achievement in 2020.

Also it sounds like I’ve been misled from YouTube clips into thinking that P4 isn’t mostly a comedy anime that sometimes tells the og story

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Did the P5 anime have any production issues or something? I know this is the go-to example when people say the P5 anime isn't good but seriously how do you make the all-out attack look like this in the anime when you know it's immediately going to be compared to how it looks in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUEXayVjo4

I think it legit must have, like I know animation takes a lot of work even for something seemingly mediocre-looking but that barely has any animation so it would have been easy to just do some poo poo like the game/Ultimate and have the good image at the end.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm four episodes into Dragonball Z and so far almost nothing has happened.

why are you watching Z and not Kai? Unless that’s what you meant, then sorry

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I didn't watch it in the 90s when I was a sullen teenager and I'm correcting that mistake as a sullen adult. I just feel like I'm not getting the true experience if I watch an edited-down version.

Like Juilas said, Kai isn’t an edited down version of the original it’s cutting out all the padding and filler to make it closer to the manga so it becomes what the original was supposed to be. Think of it more as making it like Hunter x Hunter or My Hero Academia which are mostly pretty close to the comic.

Plus the voices are 95% the same just with noticeably better voice direction so it’s not like you’re losing much

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

homeless snail posted:

the "true experience" of dbz is getting home from school and rewatching the namek arc for the fifth time, but getting really disappointed when its a power up episode

I’m really grateful that I erased this part of the series from my mind or just never got into it when it was a problem. I’m kind of jelly that there were a whole generation of kids who got a barely edited version of Kai on kid’s TV to grow up with

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
One of the things I really appreciate about Sailor Moon is that Mako is good at “girly” stuff too instead of being just a roughneck, I think a lot of shows even now would have her character type be bad at stuff like cooking and ice skating so it’s a refreshing anti-cliche.

Also I just watched a episode where two ice skaters with bad vaguely European accents turn into monsters and use their coordinated evil monster ice skating powers to style on Sailor Moon. This show feels almost like a parody of itself half the time and it owns

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

For a solid year or two I thought DBZ ended with Vegeta blowing himself up against Buu because the next episode on Toonami was the first episode. The series started over again so it must have ended there was my conclusion. I mean, it felt like a big, climactic ending.

And I don't really talk about DB much anymore but I was curious if Kai is even still a thing. Do people actually like it or remember it anymore?

The only thing I remember is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZr3vtP6ww

Easily the highlight of the whole thing and definitely better than in the original.

There’s not really a need to talk about it since it’s the definite way to watch a 20 year old cartoon and Kai itself is like a good 7-8 years old (aside from the Buu arc which aired like 3-4 years ago despite being dubbed right after the Cell arc). It only comes up as an extension of Dragonball discussion pretty much

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zeether posted:

I started reading the Dragon Ball manga a while back but I think it's still using that horrible guy's translation

I really like the official Dragonball translation, the only thing that sticks out is the names are generally bad but that’s from the DBZ translation which was done by someone else first.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
She should have done a British accent, imho

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

:rolleyes: Yeah yeah.

I've just never heard anyone praise SDS like...at all. Is it even good?

The S1 OP slaps. Other than that it’s one of those shows I binged on my phone while doing poo poo since the dub was good and barely remember except in broad strokes, so not really I guess?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Jojo thread got to talking about how no one mentions Haruhi anymore, and how crazy that is considering how popular it was.

But that just got be to thinking that when I first started posting here everyone was really in love with Haibane Renmei, but I haven't even seen someone mention that in recommendations anywhere for a while.

drat I'm old.

I remember people taking about Haruhi now when I was just out of high school, Jesus that makes me feel old too.

Did the light novels ever end or did the author just peace out? It’s crazy that they never adapted them if so since, like, people still buy the manga versions of poo poo. Maybe Endless Eight burned people out though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda crazy to think that between Hulu and Netflix* now new younger fans can just look at a pretty decent chunk of popular older shows either dubbed or with not terrible subtitles, thinking about it.

*yeah Crunchyroll is a thing too but idk how many twelve year olds can buy a subscription as opposed to just watching Naruto on your family Netflix account

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I finished Sailor Moon (the first part, now I’m on Sailor Moon R) there was a lot of plot at the very end which felt kinda like tonal whiplash, but it was cool because I like the Sailor Guardians so I kinda cared when everyone started dying but not really and then the OP played at the dramatic start.

I can kinda see why people think Crystal isn’t that good cause from what I understand so far the “filler” that makes the show more slapstick/lighthearted is kinda what makes me care a lot about the cast when plot happens.

Also I have a suspicion that there’s not gonna be anything as unintentionally funny as that second Elite Four Heavenly King that makes random objects evil, but I hope I’m wrong.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 16, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

did you jump over a whole season

Nah I hosed up the name, I fixed it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

im pretty sure thats the season where a villain of the week is a literal, actual active volcano. like not corrupted. just a volcano.

also yeah the manga (and crystal) had very little characterization for anyone who wasnt usagi. there's a few characterization beats i like more, minako is treated way more as the second in command with a serious side in the manga, but by and large the manga is more interested in bouncing from romantic drama to romantic drama. the 90s anime sort of has that same plot structure, but it gives things time to breathe.

plus even as one of the four characters who actualy gets screentime in the manga, mamoru is still a way better character in the anime, where hes actually allowed to be funny and kind of lame. he feels like a much better fit for usagi.

On that subject it kinda feels weird that they’re trying to push romances between a fourteen year old and a college freshman. Like four years isn’t a big deal if it’s 18 and 22 imo, but yeah.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

verbal enema posted:

the Soul Eater OP owns

:hai:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Trunks cutting Frieza in half with a single slice... incredible moment in television

Im real depressed that Kai couldn’t use the super obviously stolen track from Z’s original OST, poo poo slapped hard.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYt9sGOcTU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

I believe Kai was also unable to use Spirit Vs Spirit from the original Gohan Vs Perfect Cell fight later on.

Them not using that is just perplexing. Like that track I linked is like super blatantly ripped off an existing band’s poo poo, but they used the movie version of Cha La La for the ending to the Buu arc, so idgi.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Android 17 owned did he ever come back or we that just DBZF stuff

He comes back after everyone merked by Cell gets revived and just lowkey lives his best life offscreen as a park ranger while intermittently visiting his sister and her family until Super where he saves pretty much all of creation.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

they also banned sword art online so rip if you ever see a collage of popular anime or whatever

What do they have against Sword Art Online? It aired on adult swim iirc so it’s not like it’s super offensive or whatever (probably, ive never watched it)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hmm, I keep putting the Nasuicaa manga collection on my bucket list, I should probably look into it now that I’m getting paid better

edit: it literally showed up in my recommendations as soon as I went to amazon

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 2, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Chars counterattack is also one of anno's favorite films and a big influence on the conception of shinji and asuka I feel

I kinda thought Shinji was supposed to just be the concept of a mecha protagonist written through the perspective of “who the gently caress would actually pilot a mecha” which is also why the other two pilots are a deeply broken girl with legitimate mental problems who needs self-validation and Rei.

...huh yeah that kind of sounds like Char

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

actually random aside speaking of anime that got more episodes because of western fans, Sonic X had its third season commissioned by 4kids. It was animated in Japan still and some of the original anime's staff returned, but the third season didn't air in Japan or get a Japanese dub until super recently - I think like 2019? Interesting case, since Big O season 2 still aired in Japan.

Iirc this actually happened with Dragonball Z Kai too where it just did okay in Japan (well, okay for freakin Dragonball) but sold gangbusters on Nicktoons, there was even an interview with Krillin’s JP VA where she said she was recording audio for the Buu arc even though they had no plans to air it on TV. That ended up changing for whatever reason but you can still tell that Kai: The Final Chapters was dubbed right after Cell since it doesn’t have the VA changes from Super even though that aired first in the US.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm rewatching Little Witch Academia and I cannot loving believe they referenced that one scene in Akira where a girl gets crushed to death by a wall of flesh.

I haven’t seen Akira yet but lol, that’s like their mist kid-friendly series by far too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Imho every scene with Mako is Very Important. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I wonder how that’s even gonna work with regards to the dub (old/new/both) and subtitle translation. Eva’s definitely the kind of series I’d like on Blu-Ray though at an okayish price.