Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm trying to find a specific episode of Zettai Karen Children because there was a cut that sticks out to me and I needed it as a art reference.

Basically I think its an episode with the two Not!American agents and they get amazed at Kaoru's "Bushido Spirit" and there's a cut away to them imagining Kaoru wearing a Samurai Haori/Hakama get up.

Anyone know which episode this is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hope this is the appropriate thread for more meta anime community stuff; I'm suddenly seeing a lot of hot takes on my twitter feed by artists who I think should really know better suggesting that it's improper for other artists to redraw their art. I'm just like, "Really? You're going to jettison an entire aspect of artistic criticism, because you're really mad at people not liking this one character's design?"

Maybe it's a little presented a little presumptuously "I fixed it", but from an objective stand point the principle of the act I think squarely falls under constructive criticism. Like that one webpage that redrew comic book covers that had suggestive poses of female superheroes to give them proper anatomy and poses that wouldn't be painful. It's clearly depicting itself as "fixing" something, and is doing so in a way that clearly acts as a form of artistic expression and criticism.

Why get mad over this.

The Colonel posted:

what the.. why's elizabeth bathory a dragon!?! this poo poo makes no loving sense

Because her house symbol is a Dragon or something along those lines I believe. Or she's related to the Dragon of Budapest?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

also that webpage you're referring to led almost entirely to woke white dudes harassing women for drawing sexy art, in my experience

I don't think the creator's of that webpage are responsible for the actions of other people, nor does it reflect on the validity of those critiques being made by that webpage. I don't think anyone here would disagree that harassment is wrong under virtually any circumstance and that there's nothing wrong with sexy art.

Endorph posted:

redrawing someones art is fine, redrawing someones art and going I FIXED IT is really tacky and, more importantly, boring and lame

So I agree that it's tacky, but if they had presented it in a more constructive way, like, "I felt that her proportions were wrong and knowing that a lot of people like me want to get into drawing anime art, it's good to have a solid grasp of proportion, so here's my version to try to make her design more dynamic and abide by a better grasp of human anatomy" or something like that would have been perfectly fine as long as we look at it from behind the veil of ignorance. Artists shouldn't have such thin skin that they can't respond to criticism with anything other than rage and rejecting the very idea that someone can criticize their art.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

I agree that in an alternate universe it would have been fine. unfortuantely the person was literally calling the creator and the people who like uzaki pedophiles, so perhaps there is a reason they responded defensively.

:confused: Uh, that doesn't appear to be the context from what I'm seeing. I'm seeing mainly people retweet the same thing about some 3-4 artists who did a redesign of the character, and insulting them for doing so. I don't see any context where any of them called anyone a pedo, maybe its possible one of them did in some other tweet or in one of the replies, but I find it hard to believe it's all of them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

well maybe you should link the tweets youre talking about instead of leaving me to imagine them dude

and if you think linking them would be bringing up unrelated drama why are you bringing this up at all

Well, I didn't link them because I didn't feel it was necessary because I wanted a discussion around some of the meta aspects of the anime artist community, and to avoid people just mocking the tweet or potentially harassing them even if they're being lovely.

But there does seem to be confusion so here you go, seeing this one all over my feed and people reacting with Hot Takes about it: https://twitter.com/ZeroT_H/status/1293232589772337157

I agree the people being screencapped are being tacky; but they're at a glance aren't in the wrong and the response seems preformative and disproportionate. Especially since the redesigns in question if you look past the variable lack of technique are quite charming.

dogsicle posted:

well i'm sure they could've/would've been posted here if the initial intent didn't seem to be obfuscating the context enough to get support for what is just the usual stupid puritan poo poo

You really gotta stop with this strawmaning, I am not even remotely puritan.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 12, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

one person posted there calling everyone who disagrees pedos

'making her look 19' and also the second part being 'fiction affects reality!' ie there is something bad about uzaki that must be corrected

and the third person's tweets are protected so i wont comment on them

There appears to be for the first tweet you posted a 24 or so hour difference between tweets, and that first tweet "blew up" and had a lot of I assume negative responses and you did say imply that being defencive and saying things in that mindset is understandable if there's toxicity being directed at you. So perhaps its possible they are only saying it not because they legitimately believe anyone that likes Uzaki is a pedo, but that more as a response to the people being toxic to them in that time? Not saying its right, but it seems fair to me to say that I don't think its completely accurate to say that the anger was justified.

dogsicle posted:

i'm referring to people like the ones being screencapped in the tweet you posted

Gotcha, sorry for misinterpreting you.

Tales of Woe posted:

saying "i fixed it" directly to the artist unsolicited is definitely rude. i don't care if people post it to their followers though.

IIRC I didn't see any of them @ the artist.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm pro anime tiddy, in case it matters.

And to be clear: :same: I follow a *lot* of artists, and even give some of them money for commissions from time to time!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

Even the original tweets are pretty inflammatory/dismissive though. Like you don't have to make critique like you're tossing a live grenade down a hall, even if twitter encourages that kinda behavior.

As I said I agree, commentary and critique shouldn't be like kicking open the door and tossing in a flashbang. But they do have the right to open the door even if the original artist don't want it open; which to me was an undercurrent I was most concerned with anyways fwiw as part of my idiosyncratic sacrosanct ideals regarding artistic expression.

Varinn posted:

i think this is pretty correct except that i don't think anyone posting on twitter should have to be concerned that their tweet doesnt make random people 'be heard'

like twitter is a public space, obviously, but also people gotta learn to see a bad tweet and keep scrollin

Yeah this cuts to a related issue that really disheartens me because in real time I've seen artists, because they draw some nsfw anime art get negative responses because of puritan bullshit end up slowly slide into a gamergate siege mentality and end up adjacent or entirely submerged in that and it breaks my heart.

It's bad enough when following anime artists is sometimes a minefield of abhorrent beliefs because I'd really prefer not to have to freaking vet the people I click the follow button on because they probably as well ended up in that same cycle.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

why do you keep bringing up the original artist

dude is most likely completely unaware of any of this

I'm not. I'm not referring to the "original artist of Uzaki", but the "hypothetical artist of an original work who may or may not be alright with someone critiquing their work". Because I am referring to the principle of the ideal that it's alright to redraw someone's work to make corrections as a means of constructive criticism.

Space Flower posted:

if you just said "here's my uzaki fanart" and drew any of those things you would be fully defensible. and if your artistic expression can't speak for itself then what good was it?

To me the fact that this is completely true, suggests to me that any derivative work with intent to correct the original would be fine; and that the only problem was how they communicated it to rile people up.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 12, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sharkopath posted:

Unsolicited critique and redraws that aren't fanart aren't beloved tools of the art community and are in fact one of the fastest ways to piss off somebody who's just drawing stuff, I say, divorced of the tedious source of this discussion.

I think there's a critical aspect to this I don't agree with, if you make an artistic product, whether you make money on it or not and put it out there in a public facing space; it's now out there for people to provide commentary on where you would like it or not. Because all art is social commentary and is informed by the pre-existing social context, which in turn can be criticized; whether on its technical merits or its place in the social context. Sure the more private and insular the space the less reasonable it is to provide such a critique, but in general I don't think movie directors or book authors necessarily like or appreciate critics. If I recall correctly, His Dark Materials was a rewrite of the Lion, the Witch and a Wardrobe as a direct response to the themes in those novels. Rewrites and redraws happen and I think the idea that gatekeeping what constitutes valid criticism doesn't come from a reasonable place.

Please let this be a thing.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 12, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wark Say posted:

Honestly I don't think anyone is coming from a :byodood: "How dare you criticize my opus?!" place, lest of all the actual author (is the author even aware from this noise at all?). I think most of the reaction is akin to "You're kinda being insufferable about it". Also, I'm fairly certain that the actual Uzaki-chan wants to hang out anime thread might use some of the traffic too, if you want to continue this conversation. Jus' saying.

I felt that the controversy wasn't ever really about Uzaki-chan, so I was hesitant to start the conversation there, especially when my own concerns was more about the response to the controversy by artists making arguments very similar to, "how dare people criticize someone's opus". To give the direction I'm coming from in regards to it fwiw, but I can drop it if its sucking life from the thread.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't have any issue with someone drawing fanart of Uzaki as a medium height white girl but they shouldn't claim to be 'fixing' a character design when they clearly do not understand it

To be fair I don't think anyone redrew her anymore white than she already looks since anime character designs tend to be usually stateless.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Colonel posted:

people should devote this energy to watching older shows

i've just been doing that for the past couple months and i've found lots of shows i never expected to be some of my favorite shows ever, or pretty interesting at the least

Sadly I've been kinda just in a funk because of my lack of productivity for the last several months, so I've only really stuck to one or two shows a season. But I'm waiting for and super excited for Spider So What.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

its less that its suckig life from the thread and more that nobody can tell what the hell your point is because getting specifics from you is like pulling teeth. nobody actually disagrees with the idea that criticism is allowed and you're bitching about people who don't post here in such a vague way that nobody can tell what you mean besides that. it's like talking to an ai chatbot. nobody has anything to be gained from this conversation.

Is there a way you could not be ceaselessly and needlessly hostile? I don't think you've tried to actually engage in good faith the entire time.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

I'm not being hostile, I'm telling you I literally do not understand what you're trying to say or what point you're driving at. That isn't an insult that is literally what I am experiencing.

The chain of posts by you from when I first posted until now has been mostly did not suggest to me that you merely didn't understand what I was trying to say and were asking to better understand my point, so if that wasn't your intent I apologize, and I'll restart my original point which I hope should be clear:

quote:

I'm suddenly seeing a lot of hot takes on my twitter feed by artists who I think should really know better suggesting that it's improper for other artists to redraw their art (added: in order to critique it).

Like that's it, artists on my feed, making that exact argument that I've seen across my feed, and I disagree with that position.

e: In the case of Uzaki-chan that critique might be wrong / missing the point of the character / might be under bad faith or bad intentioned but the response if given at all, should be focused on what makes that critique bad, and not as a part of a culture war.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 12, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

Why are you talking about tweets weve never seen from people we dont know like were expected to know the whole context

I mean, people can make mistakes in what they think is within the frame of reference for other people; I assumed the context was more apparent than it what it was, so I guess that my mistake? Additionally because I thought it would be an interesting conversation and this is a chat thread, which I assume is kinda of like a long form text version of a podcast where people can chime in with what's grinding their gears that particular moment.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

What's grinding my gears right now, it's games that make you grind for random drops to carry on with the story mode :argh:

I don't think I've seen that since the early WoW days. I'm glad video game design has advanced in some ways.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Unfortunately I've decided I'm dropping that conversation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's apparently a JK Haru manga adaption that's ongoing. Where should I be keeping an eye out for the official english translation in the West? I'd like to support the author once its released. :3:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Colonel posted:

i drank a couple small glasses of vodka but that was a bit more than it turned out i could handle without getting too tipsy to trust myself with cooking most food, so i just ate a can of chef boyardee's ravioli instead. i regret getting this drunk cause chef boyardee's ravioli does not taste great. why'd my brother buy so much loving chef boyardee's

Amelia is that you!?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Holy poo poo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

This is an extremely pointless thing to say since 'mecha' isnt actually a genre.

"Genre" is a fuzzy concept. As per this Innuendo Studios video on Genre and Adventure games. Mecha is often used as if it were describing a genre and as long as it has usefulness in conveying what the speaker means then it has utility to continue to treat it as though it were a genre.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

lunar detritus posted:

I mean, it's fine. My main problem with it is that I remember it reset character development every season.

I liked the power the protagonist had and felt like that could've gone places but I never bothered to check to see if the LN's got translated.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Whats good airing this season?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have come to the realization is I'd love an anime that had the "imagine spots" pretend action scenes of Chuunibyou where they're LARP'ing it up and everyone is humouring what's happening but it was the characters playing Dungeons and Dragons (or similar), so it cuts back and forth between them at the table talking and to their dungeoneering/adventuring. And you have it where like their struggles at school/college/relationships/real life somehow were paralleled in the game world and sorta like in the show Wishbone (or for other 90s kids and fans of Ryan Reynold's before it was cool, the Odyssesy), the resolution of their problems in the game provided lessons that helped resolve their conflicts in the real world and vice versa.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like my genre deconstruction, partly this is because it's short hand for "serious show about serious things", but mostly because I contextualize deconstruction(and reconstruction) as basically taking a break from formula. It's different, and most importantly refreshing. But I don't think they have to unpack those tropes, after all literature/media is on some level meant to be escapist, and as Tolkien wrote, "the first duty of a prisoner (of reality) is to escape." I would be fine with any work that was legitimately novel and well written even if it didn't make necessarily any effort to look at the genre it's in "critically".

Most isekai bores me because they are not well written and I think on a fundamental level that's the main problem. Just a tower of turtles of boring overpowered (mostly male) protagonists stacked on top of each other forever and ever.

In order to filter out bad isekai and try to in general find more enjoyable works I apply the following criteria (where each question that's a "yes" makes me more likely to give it a go):
-Is the protagonist female (or genderswapped to be female).
Examples: I'm a Spider So What, Black Healer, Bakarina, Eliza Villainness, Youjo Senki, My Disciple has Died Again, JK Haru

--Honourable "Isekai Feeling" mentions: Kusuriya no Hitorigoto (Not an isekai, but the protagonist is a sassy deadpan snarker who feels way too modern of a character for the setting)

-Does the protagonist actually earn their power in a believable and immersive way
--Addendum or is the process in which they earn their power interesting in of itself.
Examples:
I'm a Spider So What, My Disciple has Died Again

-Is it just sorta different?: "I've been reincarnated as a sword" I've only really just started this one, but I understand it the main heroine is the one wielded said sword (I'm not very far in) and the dude is reincarnated as the sword so I figure it might have an interesting dynamic.

In short, I think there's a bit of a danger in casually correlating a show's deconstruction-ness with good, I don't think it is necessary for a work to critique the pre-existing context it exists in to be good. It can even very proudly and out there embrace those tropes, the question is if it does so that is entertaining and/or interesting. The protagonist of I'm a spider so what is very much a nerd but it ends up being funny in how she displays it, the main difference is well, she earns her HPs, and her struggles are more interesting for it. At the end of the day, we the audience like these stories for the specific elements of a character going to another world, saving the day and presumably either improving themselves or reaching apotheosis as a result of the adventure, ever since Alice in Wonderland the Isekai has captured our imagination as the ultimate to the point example of escapism. The main character should either be powerful or have a powerful effect, we the audience expect this and also expect and desire for there to be romance that makes us grin like idiots. We the audience want an adventure that ultimately we would like to see ourselves as being able to take part in.

But there are some works that are drat good and the fact that they are a deconstruction helps them delivery and hit a home run on the themes they wish to explore, as such,

readingatwork posted:

I'm not saying that *literally all* isekai anime is bad just to be clear. Re:Zero, for example, does a very good job of actually unpacking a lot of the genre tropes and taking an honest look at them.

Have you read JK Haru? It's really good. It also unpacks various isekai tropes but from the perspective of its female main character.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Maybe it's good thing most shoujo Isekai from the 80's/90's is forgotten by modern fans. Maybe it's a good thing

I miss Escaflowne, I wish they'd do a sequel.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

its funny that both bulma and frieza want the dragon balls for extremely petty reasons.

I feel like it's partially an acknowledgement that nothing good comes from trying to use them for blatant self empowerment. From Frieza its actually interesting because it implies character growth or gained humility, and from Bulma I just assume she has enough experience from past adventures to know better.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If I'm planning on watching ReZero should I be watching the directors cut? That seems to be season 1 but I dunno. Using Crunchyroll.

Yes, watch the Director's Cut, it adds a bit to the run time, touches up some animation and adds some content that was cut IIRC.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tabletops posted:

recently went and finally watched Akagi (I knew nothing about akagi other than it's a gambling/mahjong ?seinen?) at my partners prodding and after finishing it I was maybe the most dumbfounded I've ever been watching the end of a show. Like, how the gently caress could they end it like that or at least not finish it in a second season.

Then I went on a road of discovery. Turned out that the one night in Washizu took 20 years.

this absolutely blew my loving mind.

You could have consumed Just Akagi Playing mahjong with Washizu arc of Akagi every month from the moment you were loving born till you loving graduated college and it would have still maybe not ended.

It's bonkers, although the dude has some other mahjong manga's stuff too in the same universe. The show got me into mahjong!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Whats this from?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

What's this from?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Coaaab posted:

only a manga right now, gif is just fanart

Thanks!

Endorph posted:

like people are talking up horimiya right now and near as i can tell that thing is 50%

girl: choke me
guy: im not into that
girl: do it bitch

I chuckled.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

sao being written in 2002 makes the vrmmo stuff really funny because wow didnt even exist yet so this man was going off like, ultimate, ragnarok, and everquest

It reminds me how one of the weirder criticisms I see online are people complaining about the mechanics of the first VRMMO being bad/simple when they've had a decade since SAO was written of being spoiled by newer MMOs such as WoW or MMO's trying all desperately to be the next "WoW Killer".

But like in actual context I think it even makes sense, you're launching a brand new revolutionary console, the game development SDKs and engines for it probably all have to start from scratch, you're under tremendous pressure as a studio to have a working and functional game ready for launch. The incentive is probably in a way analogous to early VR headset games is probably going to be on games that double down on the immersion aspects and not the actual mechanics of the game. Hence Alfeim and Gungale actually pushing where the mechanics are at.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I saw a Let's Play recently of Undertale and then spent some time watching fan animations, makes me opine for a Undertale anime. :sigh:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Oh no.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Militaries around the world are like working on powerarmor and exoskeletons.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mister Facetious posted:

There's something deeply disturbing that can be read from the popularity of an entire genre (that's still growing) centred around getting a new start as a successful person that can literally shape their destiny, either through death due to freak accident, or suicide.

People who tend to like any kind of escapist fiction regardless of medium tend to feel powerless and lacking in agency in their day to day lives, I believe the term is called alienation, especially in modern society when the effects of your actions to earn a living (say, being a salaryperson in a big Japanese company fiddling with numbers on a spreadsheet) seems to have no appreciable effect on the world around you. People who feel like cogs in a machine being ground to dust will be drawn to experiences that make them feel important, that their actions and lives have meaning; and no doubt this also applies to people who feel the creative itch to create such experiences to give them to others.

Creative works exist within their pre-existing social context, they reflect the society that produce them. On one hand it says something about society, especially given how prolific such stories are, however on the other hand I think it's unavoidable that any complex society comprised of teeming millions if not billions of people is going to have a large number of people who don't quite fit in and there isn't really a solution to this because there is never going to be enough places or positions where everyone who wants to feel like they matter can exist in.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

readingatwork posted:

I'd settle for a new genre of video game at this point. Maybe a guy gets hit by a big rig and is transported to Truck Simulator 2017.

It's incredible how many Isekais either aren't aware of this or are unwilling to talk about it frankly. Being a kid in Japan kind of sucks when you think about it. You don't just have to spend your senior year stressing about SATs, you also get to freak out over getting into a prestigious high school and a good middle school before that. That's basically half your childhood spent pulling overtime and stressing out over entrance exams so that you can get a job you'll spend 12 hours a day at in order to support a family that you'll never see. Is it really any shock that so many people just drop out of society all together and just watch anime porn in their man caves all day (or deeply sympathize with characters who do)?

It's a shame because despite there being like 500 ongoing Isekai titles at the moment there's still a lot of ripe ground for a series willing to look at Japanese bluntly. I'd watch the gently caress out of a Marxist take on the genre.

I think Yujou Senki touches on it, the author is also a socialist (to the hilarious gnashing of teeth of the series wehraboo fanbase).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I can't believe I missed that, that literally is how MMO's work! It's also how most JRPG's work! You take a level 90 character into a level 20 zone nothing is going to touch you. I've seen it plenty of times in WoW and other MMO's, high level players are literally untouchable by things that are significantly lower level, it's like half the premise of Overlord.

e: That scene in particular is because it was like a level 30 zone made up of like level 30 players and Kirito is like in his 60's to 70's during that chapter and he came back to the newbie zone I think to sniff out Laughing Coffin pk'ers and Kirito has special skills on top of the stats he had for that level specifically because he tends to be a solo'leveler which made him even tankier.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Larryb posted:

On that note, is the SAO series any good? My only experience with it is the abridged series on YouTube (which I’ve been told is arguably better than the actual anime).

I feel its a complicated question. I think season 1 still holds up, season 2 is a step down, but it picks up with GGO (esp. the spinoff) and then with Mother Rosario is the pinnacle of SAO at its best and most cathartic. Alicization is like a soft isekai reboot and is interesting, esp. if you liked Odyssey (the Canadian TV show from the 90s).

There's a lot of people who don't like SAO and its a bit of a meme to dunk on SAO because of some bad aspects of the show in its long runtime and because it arrived on the anime scene with explosive popularity and I think ushered in a new generation of anime fans so it's a land of contrasts and some people on the internet like to bandwagon onto hating things because they're lazy.

I personally think its a fun series and there's speculative scifi aspects to it and actual attempts at philosophical themes that I pay attention to that I happen to like and derive enjoyment and engagement from, so maybe just watch the first season and see if it floats your boat?