Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Julias posted:

Begone troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn’t citrus a super trashy show?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ68-2JPORM

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Julias posted:

Begone troll.

All I remember from the 2018 seasonal thread was that the consensus was that it was creepy incest garbage. I've not seen it myself.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it had a thread so i don't think that was the consensus at all

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

What's this from?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It was the re:zero of the seducing your sister genre.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Raenir Salazar posted:

What's this from?

Grouchio posted:

Am I the only fan of Boku Yabai (Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu/The Dangers in My Heart) on this forum? Boku Yabai is Komi/Kaguya tier.
only a manga right now, gif is just fanart

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

kater posted:

It was the re:zero of the seducing your sister genre.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a funny show with interesting characters, i can understand finding the step sister aspect mildly weird on a personal level but the inciting moment for yuzu falling in love with mei happens before she finds out who mei is so i've never felt like that angle exists to do more than add some extra drama early on and explain why they live together. the writing outside of that is melodramatic but not really in ways that are any worse than any other romantic drama unless you think a story about lesbians exploring sexuality in weird and messy ways is just unspeakably shameful to have in a story written by a woman

i don't even care if people personally just like other yuri anime more and aren't comfortable with the weirder and heavier moments in citrus, just the pariah status as exploitative trash or w/e it's gained is bizarre for something that ends one of its first arcs with an evil gyaru-hating grandpa getting rescued from nearly dying by a gyaru and saying "hm. i have had a change of heart. maybe gyaru are actually cool"

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 10, 2021

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In my experience people tend to turn around on Citrus when they actually read it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

and that's not just sarcasm, I know at least three people who gave it a shot or reread it a little prior to the anime and completely flipped their opinions

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Motto posted:

and that's not just sarcasm, I know at least three people who gave it a shot or reread it a little prior to the anime and completely flipped their opinions

In which direction?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I know that enemies ramp up in skill/power sets when they are in a group but the third athlete that Kuroko and Kagami face off against in Kuroko's Basketball seems so overpowered that I can't imagine anyone being more skilled than him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the step-sister thing in citrus is mildly weird but everything else that happens in citrus is exactly the same as any romance shoujo made in the past 30 years and people absolutely just purity test yuri and hold it to bizarrely heavy standards.

like people are talking up horimiya right now and near as i can tell that thing is 50%

girl: choke me
guy: im not into that
girl: do it bitch

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Coaaab posted:

only a manga right now, gif is just fanart

Thanks!

Endorph posted:

like people are talking up horimiya right now and near as i can tell that thing is 50%

I chuckled.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my opinion of citrus is also boosted a bit by how of the four partial adaptations of yuri manga i've watched in the past few months, citrus is the only one that has something resembling a pace and covers a significant part of the growth in the core relationship (i liked the side characters in adashima but it sure made like a single inch of progress in adachi and shimamura actually hooking up, and the other anime was sasameki koto) and doesn't make half of its core focus the most boring possible part of the story (i did not like aoi hana)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the citrus anime isnt perfect but the anime staff sure seemed to actually care about it and understood their limitations

and in terms of the source material mei is a bit of a weak read but yuzu's got enough charisma for the both of them and mei gets a bit better as it goes on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/SehataKuro/status/1359271883019984898

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I liked Citrus fine even if it's nowhere near my favorite cause it is a little too Shoujo Romance drama but it's plot is Yuri Marmalade Boy and if you like Marmalade Boy and it's set up but have problems with Citrus' than your issue isn't with the setup

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mei's boring IMO and that one character whose sole character trait is shipping Yuzu with Harumi is completely and straightforwardly correct

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I like Citrus+ more as it's more side characters which I find a lot more interesting

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I like Citrus+ more as it's more side characters which I find a lot more interesting

citrus definitely gets better as it leans into the side cast more, and + is pretty far into that

and mei gets better in + too which helps

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNBqMeWMzzU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The nerve of this jag! :mad:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
judau is a normal teenager, with normal teenager problems

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

What a cool guy

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A great dad!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A fantastic villain

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

judau is a normal teenager, with normal teenager problems
Fantastic propensity for goofy faces, though!

:allears:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn’t citrus a super trashy show?

It's fine but intensely melodramatic.

It's core problem is the absolute least interesting characters in the entire thing are the two leads.

I liked the song for the op though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEmq9e_ZxJE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean mei isn't super interesting on her own but yuzu is genuinely one of the funnier and more active yuri anime leads. it's heavily bolstered by its side cast but it doesn't have a bad lead either

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Endorph posted:

What?

This hasn’t been a thing in the anime at all.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Wark Say posted:

Fantastic propensity for goofy faces, though!

:allears:

Should I watch ZZ Gundam? People say the first half is bad, but from what I've played of the SRW games, I loving love Judau

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Willo567 posted:

Should I watch ZZ Gundam? People say the first half is bad, but from what I've played of the SRW games, I loving love Judau
I can't say its poor reputation is completely undeserved - it has some rough stretches - but I would still very much recommend it, yeah. If you're on board with its particular brand of wildness, it's very charming and thematically rich. In fact I'd say it's my second favourite Gundam after Turn A.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I actually really liked the comedy episodes once I got past the tonal whiplash from the Zeta finale. Some pretty good jokes and funny animation

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Black Stones posted:

What?

This hasn’t been a thing in the anime at all.

I'd say 50% is a rather dramatic overstatement but the spirit of that post does eventually come up in the manga.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zz gundam's humor is just the kind of humor you see tomino do in stuff like xabungle and king gainer, it's honestly genuinely hilarious. the only weird parts about it are how jarring it is to have it come in after how zeta ends, especially with how uh, extreme the shift in yazan's role is. but i watched zeta years ago so i went into zz not really having any expectations for it specifically and i've enjoyed it a lot

i also just generally like the weirdly wacky and humorous tomino gundam stuff though personally. like my favorite tomino gundams are turn-a and greco, and while f91 isn't a great movie i really like the few insane out-of-nowhere character gags in it, and i was very into how loving off the wall crossbone gets

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked the slapstick-y stuff in zz. but i think i like physical comedy a lot more than most folks in general