Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ground floor

no goku option or checkbox poll but still gonna vote 5 because principles are out the window for the quarantine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

as an american this is the only lesson in the latin language that I have ever received

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Zeether posted:

The new Lupin special's dub is on Youtube for a limited time and it owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-LB1v4guo8

The dub is really good

too bad there are like a million ads

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cloud

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

planet's dyin' cloud

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I've been to Ohio on a business trip and, as a west coast goon, I wanted to try the waffle house and the white castle. I ended up going to neither because my coworkers were originally from the east coast and they did not want either of those things.

Somehow that has left me a yearning to go back.

So, here is evidence of one goon that wants to visit Ohio. Maybe I should go looking for some Cincinnati chili too.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

For most of the anime that I had downloaded when I was younger, I'm pretty sure I got official DVD copies when they became available. Particularly Slayers, Magic Knights Rayearth and... I wanna say Nadesico.

The only one that I didn't get was one that never really got a western release: YKK or Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. But I was able to score its (somewhat) spiritual successor, Aria.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I was in a college anime club in the late 90s. I remember watching CCS and Tenshi ni Narumon (among others), and they were probably seasonal at the time. Can't remember very many others.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

On the topic of classics though, I don't understand the appeal of Tenchi Muyo or Slayers, both of which I watched after protracted recommendations and discussion on internet forums.

Although I admit to watching Tenchi in the 90s, it's not a very good series in my opinion (but I watched a lot of it, nevertheless). There are literally five different series with some common characters and some lore but they share almost none of the plot, with few exceptions. And the movies may or may not be canon.

If you find the first movie on its own in a shelf and there's literally nothing else to watch, it might be good to try it.

If you want to experience utter confusion, watch the 3rd movie in its entirety. Bonus points if this is the first Tenchi you've ever seen.

EDIT: adding context

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 15, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen Slayers, try one of the movies first before going into the series. Each movie is more or less self-contained so it tends to be more enjoyable.

Although the movies and the tv series are all canon, keep in mind that the movies tend to take place before the series. So one of the prominent movie characters Naga doesn't actually appear in the tv series at all.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

I watched the series with Copy Rezo and where the final villain was the super powerful evil kid. I didn't hate it or anything, I just wasn't wowed as so many people I knew at the time were. They read all the LNs and talked all about how Lina was summoning the "lord of Nightmares" with her one move and LoN is the strongest thing ever....

Sorry. I was not really recommending any of this to you since you already watched one of the seasons.

I watched the first three seasons but I can't seem to find the effort to watch the final two. They're such slogs. The first season, however, sets a great tone and pace and makes it easy to enjoy season 2 and 3.

I really hope Lupid the 3rd: The First gets released in the US sometime this year. TMS had put out one of the movies on Youtube for free for a limited time and it really shows how timeless the series is.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

Well, I guess compared to Usagi Drop it isn't nearly as bad, especially if that Drama CD isn't canon (it's not in my mind).

I'm sorry for wasting the threads time to rant about anime

it's the chat thread, it's the perfect place to talk about it

assuming that they get together, we've yet to see just how that happens or how the relationship evolves before the two kids are born.

Maybe it's a "how I met your mother" type deal where we never really know who the mom is, but we got some great candidates, and maybe they downplay any hints or evidence of grooming. Who knows? I think it's worth giving a chance for now.

My guess is that it'll be handled a lot like how Sakura's mom was handled in CCS. There's a lot of focus on the mom, but not a lot about the relationship between the mom and dad (I only watched part of the first season, maybe it got fleshed out more). Much of it seems to be inferred. Makes sense, because she was married at 16 and had her son at 17, so it seems like it would not be easy to write about. CCS is still a groundbreaking kid-appropriate show, regardless of that one thing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think I watched about half of wizard barristers

the action scenes were pretty intense early on but for some reason I stopped watching at about episode 4 or so

Is it worth watching it all the way to the end?

Also, is Shirobako worth binging? Given that I haven't started it yet and that's 24 episodes to watch.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wark Say posted:

On Episode 9 right now. Totally worth it.

Tales of Woe posted:

shirobako is an extremely good anime, whether you want to binge it like that is up to you. i found it kinda stressful to watch so i wouldn't be able to

Thanks! Saturday is coming up so I'll at least give it the 3ep test and maybe finally pick up vrv if it's good enough.

Actually, it looks like right stuf has the dvds at 90% discount. This really takes me back to when anime dvds were selling for pennies at best buy and other big retailers. Guess I'll just pick it up there instead of a sub.

everythingWasBees posted:

nah it's just a huge disappointment

It took me a moment before realizing that you were referring to Wizard Barristers, for which other people said:

The Black Stones posted:

Shirobako is definitely worth binging, yes.

Wizard Barristers is not good, and the only thing I remember to this day was the hilariously unfinished 11th episode where it wasn’t finished at all so it had tons of static images where action was supposed to be happening and extremely crappy animation. I don’t know if that version even exists anymore.

Edit: double checked and found a reddit post from 2015 going “why is the entire episode still frames?” Lol.

Sindai posted:

Other than the production disaster at the end of the series the only thing I remember about WB was that it was an interesting premise squandered on a completely generic modern magic action script.

I hoped it would be more CSI but with magic and defense attorneys (so actually, more Ace Attorney than CSI) but I feel better about not having watched it to the end. Guess I'll shelve it. Thanks everyone for the heads up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

verbal enema posted:

I'm 31 today

:toot:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

fists representation

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

That's all well and good but KKM was a comedy, romance fantasy series with cool music and likable characters.

The fact there were pretty men and male fanservice was a nice part of the package but it wouldn't have been anything worth remembering f it was just that.

IMO, anyway. To this day my GF can remember the lyrics and sing the opening theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCi2jpaUe7A

I've never seen this show and this OP has so much stuff packed into it that now I want to track it down.

Zeether posted:

Discotek has KKM now ftr

hmm

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:ohno:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

That might be a challenge. Even a decade ago tracking down the boxsets for my GF was a feat. They were something like $150 even then so I scoured the net and found a brand new one in a warehouse in a store in New York for $50. Of course there are other ways to obtain anime but even that was a bit of a challenge for me to find all the eps and I've had to hold onto them for a long time. If you need any help, shoot me a PM.

The first two seasons were dubbed by Funi but it didn't do well enough Stateside to justify a third season dub and it doesn't really matter since S2 was a perfect ending. It starts off more a yaoi teaser gag series in a fantasy land but it gets far more serious and dramatic by Season 2. I notice this is a trend with all great series; you can't stay gag forever or you just get stale. Notably Dragon Ball got a lot better when it had more serious arcs like King Piccolo but I digress.

Suffice it to say ordinary Japanese kid goes to fantasy land where it's mostly demons but they all look like sexy human men and woman. And poo poo gets comical and then serious from there. Animation budget isn't particularly great for action sequences but there aren't too many of those so whatever. Loved the soundtrack. Fun's dub was good Yuri Lowenthal voices Yuri the main character, Mona Marshal is my favorite character Wolfram, the blond boy in blue in the video.

:whitewater:

Well, if I ever run out of pandemic distractions, I'll keep your advice in mind when I go searching for this.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have tried to spend zero percent of my brain on the uzaki discussion and the only thing I want to say is that I'd like to watch it, but I don't want to pay for any streaming services except crunchyroll (and netflix).

Also, I don't like ads.

Maybe if Sony actually buys crunchyroll and hidive then we can get a lot of good anime under one subscription service finally.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

chumbler posted:

Nah they'll keep them all separate.

please let me dream

ok, maybe they'll have like a $12 all encompassing premium thing, that would be nice.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hell, sony might pick up all of ellation

what does it really have that at&t still wants?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

homeless snail posted:

big crest fan here, cant wait to watch crest again

Crest is good

I have banner but I never finished it... I need to finish my old dvds

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I don't know what all the yelling is about but I'd like a 6hr probation so that we can get a casualty out of all this talk

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

starbucks hermit posted:

I don't know what all the yelling is about but I'd like a 6hr probation so that we can get a casualty out of all this talk

just to be clear, a 6hr probation for myself

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

come to california

we have weed and fires

I don't smoke so you'll have to find your own hookups

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

are vtubers anime or anime adjacent

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tabletops posted:

All things I love. Is it on Crunchyroll?

The last thing like that I watched was asobe asobase I think. I guess it's a bit different but close enough.

No, but it's on hidive, which would work anyway if you have vrv

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://youtu.be/3N0YLRunmEQ

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Castle is on Netflix (in the US, at least). Fujiko is more catwoman than seductress in this iteration. Probably for the best, since it's not like Miyazaki's drawing style would lend itself to being depicted otherwise.

Plot is good, animation is good, it's overall a good Lupin.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/hyxpk/status/1304812018105425920?s=19

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Grouchio posted:

Are you guys doing okay?

at least I can see the sun this week, and it doesn't smell like smoke

downside is that it's still summer and hot as heck

doing ok here, at least

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Larryb posted:

The upcoming Inuyasha sequel will be available on Crunchyroll and other legal streaming services. An English dub has also been confirmed:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-09-23/inuyasha-spinoff-anime-yashahime-to-stream-on-crunchyroll-funimation-hulu/.164364

finally some good news this year

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:hmmyes:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Captain Cappy posted:

I want a Pokemon MMO.

I kinda thought pokemkn go was an mmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit