Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Been making lots of french omelettes lately, and looking to mix it up. I usually do grainy dijon with the eggs, and a soft cheese inside. Made it with a slice of havarti today. On toast is always a treat but tried to cut the carbs today and ate it naked as a j-bird.

What did you put in your last omelette?

If you've never made one check out K. Lopez Alt's 2 minute instructional video. https://youtu.be/3oTFE6FAIrw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
just butter. buttery salty egg is wonderful. i like eating it with stuff, though.

that said i like egg with a sharp provolone, sriracha, black pepper, green onions.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

mediaphage posted:

just butter. buttery salty egg is wonderful. i like eating it with stuff, though.

that said i like egg with a sharp provolone, sriracha, black pepper, green onions.

Yeah on a nice piece of bread, an extra buttery omelette is good all on its own. But eating it carbless I feel requires a little something extra. Green onion is always a good choice if you are chiveless; Ill try sriracha next time to see how that goes down.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like fines herbes or herbes de provence, mostly because I usually have fresh herbs (not chervil but dried is ok) and I have a container of HdP someone gave me a while back as a souvenir type thing.

Otherwise just butter and probably some chevre or something on the side.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

angerbeet posted:

probably some chevre or something on the side.

Why on the side and not warmed inside the omelette? Sometimes if I want a lot of a cold dense cheese like goat or feta Ill nuke it for 15 seconds to avoid undercooking the surrounding egg. Is that your concern?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Some onions and mushrooms sautéed with butter and thyme, plus finely grated cheddar, alongside a cup of coffee.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw the french chef from The Mind of a Chef show make his omelette with the Boursin garlic herb cheese. It's basically the French version of cheese whiz and it's really good. Only $3 at Trader Joe's. It's a processed cheese that melts wonderfully just from the residual heat.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Why on the side and not warmed inside the omelette? Sometimes if I want a lot of a cold dense cheese like goat or feta Ill nuke it for 15 seconds to avoid undercooking the surrounding egg. Is that your concern?

No, I just don't like it any more than room (e: ambient?) temperature. I think it's a texture thing.

Also re: Mu Zeta's post, yeah Boursin is very nice and a "little" fancy. I like the cranberry one they have at the holidays. If you can find Madame Loïk, try that instead, I prefer it. The whipped goat cheese with black figs is very nice.

https://www.paysanbreton.com/fr/produits/fromages-fouettes-madame-loik

I do not care for their hard cheeses.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Chicken. I love a nice chicken omelette.

Beef and Prawn are good, too

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Beef and Prawn are good, too

Dammit, now I want a bánh xèo and the Viet grocer isn't open yet.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Meaty Ore posted:

butter and thyme,

Mu Zeta posted:

Boursin garlic herb cheese

Oh hell ya, this is what I made the thread for.

Dell_Zincht, what flavours go into your prawn omelette? I assume you pre-cook the prawn? Ive been boiling prawns in salted water with cloves and bay leaves lately; pretty good protein addition to drat near anything.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oh hell ya, this is what I made the thread for.

Dell_Zincht, what flavours go into your prawn omelette? I assume you pre-cook the prawn? Ive been boiling prawns in salted water with cloves and bay leaves lately; pretty good protein addition to drat near anything.

Prawns precooked marinated in thai sweet chilli sauce :)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I love carmelized onions and a sharp cheese, sometimes crispy bacon. My wife covers hers in ketchup (:sever:)

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

I love carmelized onions

I would order that off the menu but for me an omelette is a spur of the moment thing to make, and caramalized onions take too long.

Maybe I could start the onions and then get on woth other morning prep? Hmmm, maybe on a weekend.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Dell_Zincht posted:

Pan fried I assume?

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

I usually keep it simple and chive/scallions, sour cream and some cheese. I suck at making omelettes so it usually ends up more lightly scrambled eggs

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Dr. Krieger posted:

I usually keep it simple and chive/scallions, sour cream and some cheese. I suck at making omelettes so it usually ends up more lightly scrambled eggs

I used to be the same - but the sour cream is a crutch. If you whisk dairy in from the start, you will never get the omelette texture. Of course I often do make Ramsey-esque scrambled eggs with cream or sour cream, so you're hardly living a tough life by doing so.

Check the vid I linked in the OP if you want to go for a true French omelette. A couple of failures and you can manage it, I promise.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

usually classic ham and cheese, but today I had some mushrooms to use up

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I've heard of but have never tried a sugared omelette - more like custard, apparently, than a typical omelette. I can't quite bring myself to try it.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/i-tried-making-a-sweet-omelet-article

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

usually classic ham and cheese, but today I had some mushrooms to use up

looks delicious, Crusty Nutsack!

Notahippie posted:

I've heard of but have never tried a sugared omelette - more like custard, apparently, than a typical omelette. I can't quite bring myself to try it.

Bold and brash! Gonna try this for brunch on the weekend.

Dell_Zincht posted:

I made this today and it was amazing, really good texture with chopped shrimp. Not sure why tmg isnt working...

http://imgur.com/gallery/NgNPiDM

2 penny bottle imp fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 13, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I would order that off the menu but for me an omelette is a spur of the moment thing to make, and caramalized onions take too long.

Maybe I could start the onions and then get on woth other morning prep? Hmmm, maybe on a weekend.

They freeze pretty well. I make a big ol batch when I have time and defrost as needed.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

They freeze pretty well. I make a big ol batch when I have time and defrost as needed.

I would have thought onions would get destroyed in the freezer, due to their high water content. Or do you go almost crispy with them?

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

I used to be the same - but the sour cream is a crutch. If you whisk dairy in from the start, you will never get the omelette texture. Of course I often do make Ramsey-esque scrambled eggs with cream or sour cream, so you're hardly living a tough life by doing so.

Check the vid I linked in the OP if you want to go for a true French omelette. A couple of failures and you can manage it, I promise.

Good to know! I'll give it a try and post results, been loving these kenji gopro videos :)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I just chuck em in a freezer bag.

https://www.thekitchn.com/why-you-should-freeze-caramelized-onions-and-3-ways-to-do-it-tips-from-the-kitchn-81485

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Always put parsley in my French omelette sometimes chives too

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've taken advantage of my pandemic garden a lot. I make my French omelettes with a lot of chives mixed into the eggs (like, 1Tbs per egg), and then fill it with a small-ish line of homemade pesto just before folding (probably about 1.5Tbps per egg of pesto).

Edit: ... and the amount of butter to egg and filling ratio is enough that I liked cooking the eggs in the cultured butter made from a recent Cook Or Die. I think I'm going to have to make some more this week.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 14, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Meaty Ore posted:

Some onions and mushrooms sautéed with butter and thyme, plus finely grated cheddar, alongside a cup of coffee.

This is pretty much what I doo, though I also like to use leftover roast meat as filling and then add something to complement whatever meat it is (chicken and hot sauce, beef mustard and onion, turkey and cranberries etc).

LifeLoveLive
Jun 25, 2020

sous vide some yolks and then roll them in your omelette

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

LifeLoveLive posted:

sous vide some yolks and then roll them in your omelette

holy poo poo

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pan fried I assume?

Naturally, and looking at your later post, glad you enjoyed it!

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Been super lazy about going to the store lately so just whatever's around.

I put a French omelette on a hoagie roll with bacon and cheese the other day.

Another day I made an omelette with I think just muenster and had kimchi and country ham on the side, and I was blown away by how good kimchi and country ham are together.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kimchi and pork is a classic Korean pairing. Even SPAM counts.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Notahippie posted:

Was gonna make this on the weekend but just couldnt bring myself to do it. Putting maple syrup on an omelette is some real serial killer poo poo. Anyone actually do this here?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Think of it a little like French toast except the toast is on the side; I promise it’ll be good.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

Kimchi and pork is a classic Korean pairing. Even SPAM counts.

Or just kimchi in the omelet with eggs alone. I thought it would be a crime but it turned out very tasty actually.

feizhouxiongdi2 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 25, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
For a French omelet, I usually chop and fresh herb I have and mix it with the egg. Aside from that I keep it very simple. Butter and cheese. I prefer Brie with parsley.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

feizhouxiongdi2 posted:

Or just kimchi in the omelet with eggs alone. I thought it would be a crime but it turned out very tasty actually.

Kimchi is good with all the things.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I really like with old bay, a lot of onions, a lot of cheese, and some shrimp. Green onlion and angry lady sauce and soy is awesome too. Tornado omlette on a bed of rice and Japanese curry works too

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I just got an Anova Precision Oven. First thing I made was an omelette. Canadian Bacon, Gruyere inside, topped with chives. Impossibly soft texture. Really tasty.

If you want to see how it’s done check this out: https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/EIeSyYFaR5EWUqoPtE9n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That is a weird looking texture. like something you'd get at El Bulli or Alinea