Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug
Problem description: Last night my Win10 system rebooted itself out of sleep, possibly to install an update (not sure). I woke up to see the Win10 boot screen with the circle turning endlessly, no message. Hours later it was still doing the same thing. Reluctantly I did a hard reset; the same thing happened. Even more reluctantly I did a hard power off, waited a few minutes, then rebooted. Windows went into repair mode and, after doing a repair, rebooted and I was able to successfully get into normally functioning Windows.

However, my 3TB (non-boot, mechanical) data drive is not mounted. (It has two partitions, one for data and one for less important/large apps.) Disk Management shows it but says I must initialize the disk (which I have not done). I rebooted once and the same issue shows up.

I don't know what specifically is wrong, I hypothesize that maybe the drive's MBR is borked. I have googled fixes and booting to a rescue disk and doing "Bootrec /fixMbr" is often suggested, but I don't want to touch the MBR of my boot drive (SSD) if it's not necessary. Is fixMBR worth trying, and if so, is there a way to direct it only to the MBR of the data drive? Do I need to boot to a rescue disk to accomplish that, or can I just use the command line of my normally booted PC?

Is there another approach worth trying?

Finally, I do have backups of the data but it runs only weekly, I'd lose a few files. I'd rather grab everything as it was yesterday. If I end up needing to do a disk recovery, I'm not sure what external HDD to buy to hold the recovery. I don't want to spend a ton but the budget 4-8TB options seem to have comments about slow writes. Is there a specific budget option anyone can suggest (external, USB3) that will have non-abysmal write speeds? Don't plan to use it as anything other than a recovery storage location.

Attempted fixes: Rebooted. Nothing else.

Recent changes: No, although Windows updates itself periodically and I hypothesize the problem may have happened during an automatic reboot to install an update. However the only updates I see for yesterday and today are related to Defender definitions, not sure why that would have caused a reboot.

--

Operating system: Win10 Pro 64-bit

I have Googled: Yes

Thanks in advance for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto
Sep 18, 2013

Pillbug
So for anyone who is curious, it turns out that (reportedly) "Initializing" the disk from Disk Management is non-destructive, it simply rebuilds the MBR if it can. However, this did not help me, it reported a hardware error when trying to initialize. Tried a couple of utilities who were unable to see the disk. My assumption is that the thing is borked. Since most of my stuff was backed up I don't think I'm likely to pursue this further.