Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
One day I'll buy a real Indian, but until I have a job that pays double what I'm making now I'm going to stick to my vulcan clone. It's as Indian as I am, looks like it but not enough to count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

PeterCat posted:

Is that a Drifter or a regular Vulcan with a Drifter front fender?

Did you take the back fender off?

I've had an 03 Indian Spirit, an 01 Drifter 800, and an 09 Indian Chief.

The Kawasaki was probably the most fun to ride out of the 3 of them, and the closest to a 50s motorcycle in weight and wheelbase.

It's a vulcan 900 classic with a custom fiberglass fender (I don't think if it would fit on a drifter 800, the guy's site said it was specific to the 900). The rear is the stock fender, I just hide it with the bags. I wish it had the 800 rear fender but I'm not sure how much work would be involved. As it is this bike was cheap to get where I wanted and looks pretty drat good to me so I have no complaints.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I like everything about it except the rear fender, but I have the feeling that's something that can be addressed by an aftermarket manufacturer. I don't even need the big art deco fenders, I just want it to stretch down over the rear tire a bit more (I seem to be the one weirdo that doesn't like this bobber style fender even on the harleys). Otherwise it does everything I want it to, especially the gigantic engine in something that isn't much bigger or heavier than my kasawaki.

I was going to look at a scout this spring, but I may need to test ride this as well.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Steakandchips posted:

The bobber style mudguards on the Chief, IMO, look good but are not very useful in the wet. I'd still buy one (and I did, when I bought the Fat Bob), because who gives a poo poo and you can always wash the bike afterwards.

The Indian Scout rides absolutely lovely and I'd have bought one and not even have test ridden the Fat Bob had the Scout not had the ridiculous forward controls. The Fat Bob's "mids" (they're more like mid-forwards) were way more comfortable to me.

The Chief has mids too, which I think will make it, to me, the better bike ergo-wise (compared to the Scout). It's also got more engine (obviously).

Hellmaker, get the Dark Horse and write about it in this thread to make the rest of us get one!

I've sat on two scouts previously, I never thought the feet pegs were all that forward. Definitely not mid controls but my legs were at 90-95 angles, and I have a 28 inseam, I guess the ergos are just right for me and what I'm used to. It really is a small bike, definitely mid-sized to compact, even if the engine punches above its weight class.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 10, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
To me the cowl reminds me of an art deco train and fits the rest of the styling. I can see why some wouldn't like it though. Granted, I'm the biggest drat apologist for the big fenders there is, to the point of festooning my vulcan to look like one till I can afford a dark horse (unless I get a scout in the meantime). That said, I hope this new one can drive the prices of the used 16-21 models down a bit.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BrianM87 posted:

My Indian will always be my favorite motorcycle. I really need to invest in some warmer riding clothes to extend my riding season.

Hot drat that color combination is gorgeous.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Pics will be incoming in about an hour or so once I get it home (and get the joyriding out of the way), but I bought a Scout 60.

Short review, it's so much faster than my vulcan 900. And I don't have to pretend to have an Indian anymore.

edit: pictures will come now.

I suck at taking pictures. Initial thoughts: the hand grips suck, need to be replaced with something a bit cushier. Feel more like plastic than rubber. I might stand to get a 1 inch riser for the handlebars as well, but that's just because I have short stubby arms and want to lean back a bit, as it is I'm sitting upright with my arms straight. Leg angle is about 95 degrees, and I have a 28 inch inseam, so if anyone ever says they have a long leg reach I don't know what's going on. Definitely not mid controls, but not a stretch.

Engine is rev happy but pretty tame, and I'm not missing that 5th gear they took out between 4th and 6th (I don't know why they removed it, but it doesn't really need it, so I guess that's why). I like having a (digital) tachometer, but wish it had a fuel gauge. Front brake is really grabby, much more bite than the single disc on my kawasaki. I don't even miss the second disc I thought I wanted. I had read that some people had pegs scraping, but in my mildly spirited riding that hasn't happened. I haven't leaned it farther than I ever normally do on my old bike(s). Maybe if I had a sportbike background or was treating it like one.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 4, 2021

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Slavvy posted:

Just lean further, nothing bad will happen I promise, and scraping pegs is really fun!

Oh yeah, to me it was an invitation to go further. The engine definitely feels like it has more to give, and if I ever get bored it has plenty of performance potential to uncork.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Slavvy posted:

Authentic, artisanal gangland murder. Australia has a similar thing about worshipping psychopaths - not just 'outlaws' in general, but the batshit chopper reed types that should really be in a small room with a smaller window somewhere but go on speaking tours instead. Thankfully nz doesn't do it because all the notorious historical gangsters are brown and we're staunchly racist.

You're confusing Honda product design with your friend's mental illness.

Honda decided 'custom chopper' was a viable product segment and decided to grace Honda's loyal following with the opportunity to finally buy one built to the high standard discerning Honda customers expect.

Your mate is a compulsive tinkerer for it's own sake, seen hundreds of cases, there is no cure. Normally HD have those people on lock though.

poo poo it's a good thing I'm not much into the chopper look, otherwise I'd be just like the victim friend in question. I just couldn't afford the harley.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Goddamn did they really have to make it a swastika?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I was looking for an XR1200 before I bought my scout and had no luck, but as soon as I bought my bike two or three popped up in NC between 6700 and 7400 (I remember the prices because I was really angry they weren't listed a few days sooner). The majority I can find on cycletrader are closer to 10 grand but that seems to be the ceiling, and FTRs are dipping down to 9 grand already.

I still want to test ride an XR one day, but a combination of rare (and rare good) model and "It's a Harley I KNOW WHAT I GOT" is going to keep the prices inflated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I used to live in Myrtle Beach. I wouldn't go back if you paid me.