Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I am pretty sure I like this game more than the original Paper Mario. I think without nostalgia it is genuinely a more enjoyable game with more charming writing and characters and way better boss fights for the most part.

Not as fun as TTYD but mostly due to ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So the entirety of the purple streamer chapter was intentionally a giant homage to Wind Waker right? Like there's no way it isn't it's so perfectly set up.

Also man this game just doesn't stop charming me with all these gorgeous environments and the silly writing. It's been long enough to say I love this game now right?

Considering that you go to an underwater area where you complete tests of Wisdom, Power and Courage, yeah, the Zelda homage is entirely intentional.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 100% ending is genuinely not worth the trouble, it's like a 5 second clip and you can probably predict exactly what it is. Just Youtube it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Procrastine posted:

lmao at (cutscene before the final boss) "If you've seen one Toad, you've seen them all! They're all the same to me!"

Yeah, the final boss' motivation being "I didn't like one Toad and so they all suck and are the same thing and I wish I could erase them from existence" is amazingly on the nose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

robot roll call posted:

They add some wrinkles with different enemies. I just finished the yellow streamer and I still like the battles, I don't think they're much better or worse than a typical RPG battle at the end of the day. I'm really enjoying the game overall though.

Honestly I don't think there is a significantly large difference between Origami King and a lot of modern combat systems. It actually feels a fair bit like something like Persona where the goal is to daisy-chain attacks together to give the enemies the bare minimum amount of attack time. Theoretically battles might be a bit longer than Persona if you're solving a puzzle but that's the key there: If they are taking longer it is because you're interacting with the mechanics.

There are places they could have shortened things a little bit but the core system is pretty interesting and they come up with quite a few ways to make the concept stand out more. The boss battles are obviously the highlight but honestly I think it'd be pretty cool if they evolved this system for the next one rather than going back to the drawing board.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Argue posted:

Is there a way for me to know which enemies I am now able to defeat instantly from the overworld?

Mostly it's just memorization. Enemies don't get stronger so if you can oneshot a Goomba in the first area you can in the last area. There are some rare exceptions like when more powerful enemies appear in their damage pools but usually that happens with stronger-looking enemies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Never thought I'd give a poo poo about Kamek or Bowser Jr.
This game is so charming, it's insane.

The fact that this game makes Bosses Jr charming is absolutely insane.

It also hits the weird area of Bosses being *competent* while still being funny which is weird as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

Competent bosses,,, i'll believe it when i see it

That was ironically a typo and I meant "Bowser."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Sometime after TTYD & Super Paper Mario Nintendo cracked down really hard on the IP usage of Mario stuff. Since the Paper Mario series is done by Intelligent Studios as an external thing it means they are tied back pretty significantly on what they can do design wise. This is why I always kind of roll my eyes at the people that make the argument of "but they made all these cool unique designs in Super Mario Odyssey!!!". Yeah, cause that was an internally developed first party game.

AlphaDream was allowed to make a whole bunch of new characters though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, since it's been awhile and there are a number of Mario & Luigi games I haven't played, but were any of the new characters of existing Mario species? I remember Superstar Saga took place in a completely different kingdom and I don't think you really saw any existing mainstays in the region. My memories are fuzzy with Partners in Time but I don't recall any non-generic looking Toads or Goombas or etc. Haven't played the other games. Nintendo's strictness seems to be mostly limiting their ability to make toads or goombas look too much like something besides an iconic toad or goomba.

My understanding is that people are complaining about not having brand new creations, rather than just different Toads. This game has non-generic Toads (The Captain if nothing else who has a different design, plus Toads with various design gimmicks.)

That said, M&L did have unique designs for classic enemies. Most of its enemy designs were variations on the classic designs with new looks. Snifit wearing a winter parka, Shy Guy with a cannon for a mouth, that kind of stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How are the later Mario & Luigi games anyways? I only ever played the first two. I remember very much enjoying Superstar Saga. Partners in Time a bit less so but it was still cool.

Also I know it's far too early to be rating this game yet because I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase but would it be outrageous to say that this easily ranks in the Top 3 of the series along with 64 and TTYD? I'd be hard pressed to actually give them a ranking order but man I'm still just over the moon with how much I've liked this title.

Bowsers Inside Story is arguably the best, Dream Team is good but aggressively over-turorialized , Paper Jam is meeeeeeeh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

This may be weird, but I think the whole character design thing is pretty much what I miss the most. It's the one thing that's straight-up worse, and the developers seem to be unable to go back for whatever reason. And it's not just generic toads...

- The majority of NPCs is not allowed to have names
- No little background stories (Tattle, etc.), just a one-off gag and away they go
- No Paper Mario re-designs: Pokeys now have the "current" look, so do Koopas, they even changed Yoshis... And I LIKED those alternative takes / Yoshi Island designs
- PM original characters are memory-holed (Kammy Koopa...)

Obviously, you're gonna stick with generic designs if you scatter hundreds of toads in the landscape as hidden collectibles. But beyond that, it just straight up hurts the game if it denies character to most NPCs, and even those who go further rarely have actual names. Even early in Sticker Star, it feels like some iron-clad restrictions are imposed on them, and the developers try to give their forced-to-be-generic NPCs as much character as they can: look at that! This toad has a bend in their paper! This one is a little creased! Please free us

I can see why Nintendo would impose such restrictions in general, but it genuinely hurts the Paper Mario series, and it's absolutely baffling why you'd do that to a series with Tattle

Each thing in the museum has a blurb which is basically the same as Tattle

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of the hints explicitly mentions it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was going to say this, the little letter hints are pretty useful.

Here’s an interesting thing I found out by being an idiot: (Green Streamer Boss)

Like an idiot I destroyed his sheath on the first turn and he immediately started his instant death attack. I managed to struggle through only loving up once (thanks 1-up shroom) and came out victorious.

When I did the rematch in the boss fighting machine I didn’t destroy his sheath and... you get Ice Vellumental panels?!?! Did I just miss them the first time or is your punishment really no ice powers? That’s kinda mean tbh the ice makes the battle way less stressful.

You need to hit chests to make them show IIRC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

the timer to clear a puzzle is over a minute long and I regularly run out of time in battles

The timer is over a minute long because the game is designed for players of all ages (and also because of upgrade accessories). It is genuinely not hard to finish a fight in significantly less time unless you get a particularly nasty. Which is good because the game making you think about what you're going to do is a plus, not a minus.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 29, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spellman posted:

If you like puzzle games

I mean I do enjoy puzzle games but I also feel most (good) JRPG combat systems are puzzle games where the goal is to figure out exactly how to deal the most damage in a single turn so the difference isn't very significant to me. Figuring out how to avoid enemies getting counterattacks has increasingly been the goal of most JRPG combat for a good while now. Paper Mario is a simplified kid version of the idea but that has been true of pretty much every PM game where they make things as basic as possible so they can be all-ages accessible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spellman posted:

I think people who like Mario RPGs prefer an Action Commands as the primary barrier of entry—that was the main differential between it and other games with turn-based combat. TTYD enhanced this with stylish flair moves that you could use to charge a magic meter. M&L had you reacting to clues to which brother the enemy would attack. It was understood, it was comfy to most fans cuz they've played Mario and they know how to Jump

I'm okay with the puzzle, there is no timer, you just pause for hint and work the puzzle out in your head. It's fair and serviceable. But they stripped the combat down to jump, hammer. Flower. There's no stylish moves, or an ally with a moveset that you have control over. And the enemy attack is gonna gently caress you up either way. So I guess you could say the battle system is Just OK, or at least needlessly divisive

OK has action commands too. They are often the difference between one shorting and not. Likewise there is action defense same as the PM games and MRPG. Only M&L lets you totally avoid damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am not clear on how TTYD has a higher skill ceiling unless you are claiming quickly solving puzzles is not a skill but timing button presses is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

There's significantly more attacks with a wider variety of timed hits. Once you're comfortable with the regular timed hits you can start looking for the flourishes, extra unmentioned timed hits that reward extra super meter. Defensively, in addition to the regular defense with the A button you also have a parry on the B button, which has stricter timing but blocks all damage and deals 1 damage to the enemy.

In OK you have the jump, the hammer, and the fire flower timed hits, and that's it. You'll have mastered them before you even beat the first boss and you won't do anything else the entire game.

Okay but you are still ignoring the puzzle part. Not only do enemies have different gimmicks but there are hidden shorter solutions which reward you for finding them. That is also a test of skill that you are straight up ignoring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So It Goes posted:

I beat the game and the only enemy gimmick that affected the puzzles were boos? And I guess the enemies in the final green streamer. I would’ve loved if there were more gimmicks that changed up how you solve the ring puzzles honestly. The bosses were generally very good at that aspect (along with the fact you just do it less often so it doesn’t wear out it’s welcome as quick)

I mean that is objectively untrue. Depending on the enemies some require you to use different weapons which in turn means you need to consider different puzzle layouts to assure you can beat them in one turn. You can use items to get around those but "I have to use a different item in order to use the puzzle layout I discovered" is not exactly High End Challenge but is about as much thought as anything from any of the non M&L games requires.

Snake Maze posted:

I didn't mention it because I was thinking specifically about the differences between the battle systems in the games, but what enemy gimmicks are there? Boos go invisible but beyond that I don't remember any. "Hidden shorter solutions" is also overselling it imo, occasionally in the 3 move puzzles there's a 2 move solution but a lot of the time there isn't one, it's not something you'll be constantly aiming for.

It's overselling it as much as trying to pretend like TTYD is actually a very skillful game.

There are also one-turn solutions to 2-turns. If you're not aiming for them then that's fine because you don't need to to succeed but the same goes for the first two PMs by a huge degree.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 29, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So It Goes posted:

“Need” is an interesting word to use given that I literally never once considered puzzle layout by enemy type (and never game over’d through combat even once).

That doesn't actually have anything to do with the conversation because it has already been acknowledged that TYYD is an insanely absurdly easy game that requires absolutely none of the stuff people are talking about to beat. The entire argument is about the fact that TTYD has depth despite being a game designed for literal children to finish without trouble.

No Paper Mario game is hard. No Mario RPG is hard. The closest ones you might get a game over in are the M&L games and even then you can probably facetank every blow and just shovel mushrooms into your mouth.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 29, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that a sign of this game's success with writing is that you have people saying "I wish Bowser Jr was around more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

surf rock posted:

I keep finding contradictory information about this.

To get the bonus ending, do I need to:

A.) 100% the stuff on the map menu screen (toads, holes, treasures, ? blocks)

B.) 100% absolutely everything (everything in A plus trophies and museum)

I've nearly done A so I'm willing to close that out, but if it turns out to be B, fuuuuuuuuuck that, I'm gonna watch it online instead.

Trophies too.

Just Youtube it, it's like 15 seconds long.