Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Origami King so far seems Just Okay, which is at least better than SS or CS.
Really dont understand why people keep lumping ss and cs together as "the bad games" when cs is so much better than ss it's not even funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean that's not a problem at all, it just means they have less health than it would appear. The problem was that you needed the arbitrarily chosen Things for the fights before. That just made the whole thing feel somewhat meaningless even if there was a "real" fight before you got to use it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

I assume most people just don't have a wii u though, it sold WAY worse than any of the other recent nintendo systems.
Oh yeah i forgot about this but it makes total sense. A lot easier to immediately dismiss a game when you've never even had a chance to try it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lmao

Try a little harder

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Color splash fixes plenty of sticker star's flaws though. Like the reason i stopped playing ss was because of the complete lack of guidance on loving anything in the game, and the resulting infuriating puzzle experience. No action command tutorials, no hints for what things to use ever, no hints for where to find things, etc. You regularly run into situations where it's impossible to tell if you're missing the thing you need for a puzzle, or if it's one of the ones you've already found but don't happen to have on hand. Want to get them? Well loving backtrack through the level for the 20th time to pick it up again! Oh, that wasn't the correct one? To bad, you just wasted fifteen minutes of your time and now you'll waste ten more looking for another one. Rinse, repeat, etc.

They fixed this entire mess in colour splash. You can just buy things you've already found, and the game actually properly hints at all its puzzles and makes pretty sure you won't be missing anything progress-necessary or backtracking incessantly.

Acerbatus posted:

I wouldn't put much stock into what polygon says.
Polygon doesn't say anything. One of their contracted reviewers does. There's absolutely no reason to discredit an opinions based on what review site it happens to be published on

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well that's just like your opinion man. I obviously can't change your mind on that but i did take objection the the "didn't fix anything fundamental" statement.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

God drat i love this game. Played a bit of the blue streamer area and the music and visuals just get better and better. That battle theme man...

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah "the story follows a structure" is the weirdest criticism I've seen yet. No poo poo it does. The specifics are different every time so what's the problem?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

Some concept art for OK.

We were loving robbed.
Not that i disagree but concept art is always cooler than the final product and that's not unique to paper mario

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vookatos posted:

I'm so loving happy about that. One thing I never understood about RPGs is that they just keep tormenting you with one theme, often in games that are 50+ hours long. Original MOTHER had plenty, and sequels (on SNES and loving GBA of all things) had almost a hundred combined!
depending on the developmental circumstances, composing new tracks for a game can be really hard and/or expensive. Some games (like origami king) have expansive osts but you'll notice the large majority of games don't.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They do look generic but i don't think the character writing is lacking at all.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That was not the problem with sticker star, it was actually literally everything else about it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Since when has 100% completing a game been about some minor reward you get for it? I'll do it because i want to play more.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

I’m slightly conflicted. I just cleared the blue streamer area, and the normal fights have become well, not exactly a chore but not very entertaining either. But the boss fights are a ton of fun and the writing is funny and weird in the best traditions of Paper Mario.

So I’m still having a good time but I wish the combat was ... more. More something.
Good news for you, the next area has very minimal standard encounters.

I don't get the complaint though, the simple puzzle encounters are over in 30 seconds, and the complex ones are fun to solve for me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

You've literally explained the problem in your text.

The complex ones are fun to solve, for you.

If they're not, then the simple puzzles are 20 seconds of tooling around to defeat a trivial encounter for the benefit of potentially more complex puzzles, which aren't fun either. There are a lot of complex puzzles where i look at them, think "I dunno" dump things into a couple of lines and then dump fire flowers to win.
Hey, don't take it to mean i actually solve all of them. I'm also pretty bad at them, but i enjoy staring at the rings when it seems like a completely impossible layout, and when it sometimes actually clicks it feels really good. And when it doesn't click, that's fine too because then i get to think about the most advantageous lineup i *can* get them into and what weapons and items i could use to minimize damage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Khanstant posted:

It cracks me up to see coin totals so high. Do things cost a ton of coins or do they just give you a bunch with nothing to ever spend em on and it piles up?
You absolutely use the coins, both in battle and in shops

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

finished it, what a good drat game

i'm so glad there's a paper mario that's just loving good instead of good with several asterisks again.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, I think the game might be a bit better if they could have more unique designs, but honestly i do not care, it doesn't hold origami king back at all.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i want to go for 100% but i'm being stopped before i even get going by the knowledge that getting a perfect game of shy guys finish last is one of the trophies

gently caress that

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

by the way, i know people have praised the music a lot but how amazing is it that every single area by themselves actually have a soundtrack big enough to pretty much make its own game? the amount of single-scene tracks is absolutely ridiculous in this game

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't remember where it was but somewhere an official nintendo source said that the (current) canon is that toads don't have gender and toadette just happens to the only one who presents in an obviously feminine way and uses the appropriate pronouns.

so you're free to think of any of the toads not explicitly referred to by pronouns in this game as "female"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's true, i was also missing some slightly more substantial npc characters. i'm pretty sure literally no one in toad town ever updates their dialogue, for example. makes its position as a hub town feel completely superficial. why would i come back and explore it again when there's never anything to discover besides, like, two more toads in their houses who have one line each.

luckily this doesn't really take away from the game because there's always some new cool thing you're running into every five minutes anyway, but it does make all the effort put into toad town mostly wasted.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes, you just memorize the exact way the picture is scrambled and do it in reverse.

Or, for example, record a clip of it and study at your leisure.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if it was that it would be awful lol

the whole point is that you don't have to solve it to win, but if you do you can win right on the spot.

E: also you don't need to have have permission to make unique characters to make a game that's better than TTYD, as this game proves because it's better than TTYD.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 26, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok, what exactly is the point of the cafe in toad town where you can buy speed up tea that lasts for five seconds, and also intentionally slow yourself down???

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

kamek was a whole lot less established when paper mario was coming out. i don't think he actually would've been on anyone's minds back then.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think that's just because of whiplash from sticker star. SPM still had the completely off the walls story and weirdo not-really-mario characters so it gets counted in the "good ones"

I do like spm even if i don't really enjoy actually playing it though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

SPM gets a lot of points from me for having playable peach, and tons of silly little peach lines if you go into cutscenes as her

If only you didn't have to change to Mario every minute to flip. If someone made a hack of spm where every character can flip i would replay the game right now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Is there a legit way to play TTYD if my Gamecube has been lost to time?
you buy a used copy and play it on a wii instead. yup, that's it. by the way the copies go for 100+ bucks just like the other intelligent systems gamecube game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Eh I'd be super generous to say they had abilities when it's just

Bobby - Is he sleeping? He will fail. Is he awake and lounging? He'll do 20 damage to something still alive
Toad - Can sometimes clear a row if he digs up coins. Sometimes whiffs
Kamek - Can sometimes clear a row. Messes up if he pulls out a broom instead of his wand
Bowser - Clears a row, but if a enemy withstands fire damage he's not as effective

They all kind of do the same thing.
they all do exactly the same thing. bowser also has a chance of failure, and they can all (except bobby) attack the line and square formations. the damage is different but it's always big enough to kill most enemies in the relevant area.

i don't feel like the game needs more attack options than it has, though. maybe if you wanted to do another iteration on this combat you could make the puzzles slightly simpler but let you attack more different formations with different abilities.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

there's always an indicator of when you have to use the arms in a boss fight and it's asking olivia. she'll say incredibly obviously when it's time to do it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

100% complete! somewhat surprisingly, the worst trophy of the lot is the fishing one. those rare fish have a spawn rate that's so low, i got like 30 minutes into a youtube video i put on before i got both of them and the one treasure i was missing. so you basically have to pass the time some other way while waiting but simultaneously have to pay enough attention to, you know, actually catch the drat things when they show up. awful design.

otherwise super enjoyable. even getting shy guys finish last perfect was kinda fun when i knew what i was doing. it is also infuriatingly long if you need to restart towards the end though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

eh, it's not that hard. i did it second try. the river isn't wide and the boat isn't fast.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Did you just keep fishing or did you back in and out to reset the spawns? The latter strategy is what I did and it took me about 5 minutes, but I may have gotten insanely lucky.
just sat there and waited. makes sense that it would be faster that way if it changes the spawns in the area instantly instead of slowly one by one.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

man i just don't understand that opinion at all. like for starters if the combat was different the whole game would be designed very differently in the first place. you couldn't just rip out the combat system and replace it without consequence.

and secondly it's good actually

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

dream team was a horrible slog and from what i heard paper jam was even worse
nah they're fine and paper jam is better than dream team

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i do agree, it's like literally twice as long as it needs to be but i did still enjoy it overall

paper jam is *much* breezier both in battle and out and also introduces interesting twists on the series tried and true combat system with the third party member and the battle cards.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh is this where i get to tell you that in the NA version of partners in time they increased the health of most bosses in the game by a factor of about 1.5x for no reason at all

being from finland i always wondered why that was a common complaint about the game before i learned this.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

this is also what the toads are for. when i encounter a puzzle that seems like a huge mess, i pay for one tier of cheering to get the first move. seeing what it is will both make the rest of the puzzle way simpler and also hint at what to do in furure situations like that.

and also... you don't have to solve the puzzles. you can just do a good enough arrangement that you can take care of some of the enemies. taking a hit isn't the end of the world.

i really do think the battle system is still very elegant and simple like what you liked about the originals, just in a very different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

loquacius posted:

Do kids play this game?
i'm sorry but this is the most tired take/joke possible

literally every kids media deals with dark themes except ones that are written for 1-year old babies