Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Phssthpok posted:

Yes, I love the puzzles but I can't replay old ones, and the touchscreen support was not very good. I want to make a mobile DnD app with a UI like Cell Tower and copy-paste-able levels like this:

⬜️2️⃣5️⃣3️⃣3️⃣2️⃣3️⃣3️⃣2️⃣
1️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
4️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
2️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
2️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️👑⬜️⬜️🐀⬜️
3️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
4️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️🐍⬜️⬜️
2️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️
5️⃣⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️⬜️

I've put together an initial version of a web app with shareable, editable dungeons and diagrams:

Daily Dungeons and Diagrams

it supports linking to the state of a partially solved puzzle: example

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Phssthpok posted:

I've put together an initial version of a web app with shareable, editable dungeons and diagrams:

Daily Dungeons and Diagrams

it supports linking to the state of a partially solved puzzle: example

- I can't see the whole grid without scrolling
- If I zoom out to try and see the whole grid, it scales up so that I still can't see the whole grid
- Is there a way to mark cells as empty?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Yeah, as you can see it needs a lot of work. In the current version you have to make your browser window narrower to scale the whole grid into view.

I'm having trouble thinking of a good way to mark a tile as empty with touchscreen controls. I guess it could cycle floor -> wall -> marked floor 🤔

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Cycling works. Also if you're eyeing up touch controls, make sure people can just drag across the screen to paint in whole boxes of filled or empty cells rather than having to tap one-by-one.

Look at how various picture cross/nonogram apps do it for UX ideas.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't have any trouble with the puzzlink mobile controls for similar puzzles, which cycles from filled - > marked emtpy - > empty. Also, you can drag to paint a region with whatever mark you put in the cell you started the gesture in (rather than applying the cycle operation to each cell).

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

Fantastic, just what I need! I would love a confirmation for solved puzzles for more dopamine, tho

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah so Last Call just updated and D&D has 12000 new puzzles now

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I still can’t do the penultimate line. I think I’m missing a law.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

I'm implementing a solution checker and here's my current understanding of the laws:

- all row/column wall counts are equal to their targets
- all non-WALL tiles are connected
- each MONSTER is in a dead end (adjacent to exactly one EMPTY)
- each TREASURE is in a treasure room (3x3 block of 8 EMPTY and 1 TREASURE, adjacent to exactly one EMPTY and no MONSTER)
- no 2x2 blocks of EMPTY tiles outside of a treasure room

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 5, 2022

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Phssthpok posted:

I'm implementing a solution checker and here's my current understanding of the laws:

- all row/column wall counts are equal to their targets
- all non-WALL tiles are connected
- each MONSTER is in a dead end (adjacent to exactly one EMPTY)
- each TREASURE is in a treasure room (3x3 block of 8 EMPTY and 1 TREASURE, adjacent to exactly one EMPTY and no MONSTER)
- no 2x2 blocks of EMPTY tiles outside of a treasure room

Also each dead end has a monster.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I meant more the deduction laws. Ie:

- if a monster has a clear square adjacent, all other adjacent squares are walls.
- if a monster has 3 walls adjacent, the other square is clear.
- if a non-monster clear square has 2 walls adjacent, the other two are clear.
- if a space adjacent to a treasure chest is a wall, the 2 on the other side of the chest are clear.
Etc.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There are a whole bunch of deductions that you can make, but most of them boil down to "if it was any other way it would make either a 2x2 open space, or a dead-end with no monster". And most of the rest become "if it did this then stuff wouldn't be connected".

For example, if you have a 5x2 rectangle with only two walls in it, one of those walls must in column 2, and the other one must be in column 4.
Another example, if one column is a six (meaning there are two gaps in it), and there are two different regions on the left side of it that aren't connected to each other, then one of those regions can't have both of the gaps.

Are these super-specific deductions? Yeah, they are. I've used both of them in solves, along with a bunch of other super-specific steps. Good problem solving isn't about memorizing a million possible deduction steps, it's about looking at the problem as a whole and then inventing deduction steps that will let you make forward progress.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Some simple ones that might not be immediately obvious are the edge rows/columns, eg: a 1 on the edge has 4 guaranteed empties, 2 has 2, 1+monster has five (sometimes), etc

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 6, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This is a pretty powerful rule, though it honestly doesn't come up that often in the pregenerated puzzles

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Thanks for the podcast link btw. Interesting to hear that D&Di was just designed as a podcast bonus after Zach played AD&D live. Just how talented is this man?

That does seem to have skewed his views on education, mind you.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I must admit i did laugh at the idea of him handing out nightmare homework with incomplete instructions for a greater challenge. I'm envious of the confidence and mental resources he seems to have at his disposal, impostor syndrome would have stopped me well before even one of his achievements.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Daily Dungeons and Diagrams is basically playable now.

I'm still working on designing the puzzle editing interface. For a touchscreen-oriented editor, I was thinking of cycling each cell between floor, wall, treasure, monster, and boss monster, with a field outside the grid to set the default display of each type.

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 31, 2022

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/1564730936725749760

I guess it's good teaching didn't work out...

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Last Call BBS had an update today. From the changelog:

Zachtronics posted:

Today's update includes the following changes:

Increased the maximum win count for Dungeons & Diagrams and the solitaire games from 999 to 9999. Please don't interpret this as a challenge.

Perhaps we players are predictable.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Humble's got a programming game bundle going on. $10 for three Zachtronics games and four other titles.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Sway Grunt posted:

Humble's got a programming game bundle going on. $10 for three Zachtronics games and four other titles.

Learning Factory's the only one I don't have. Anyone with any opinions on that one?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Picked up the solitaire game, so now I just have to boot up one game any time I’m looking to waste 10 minutes, rather than pick from the list! I never picked up Möbius Front so I’m glad to finally add cribbage solitaire to my list, too.

The new Tarot game is haaaaaard, too. I can’t quite get the hang of it and unlike some of the variants you can easily lose the game if you get careless towards the end. The rule that you can only move one card at a time means you are functionally obliged to keep at least one free column always, and if you accidentally mess that up and fill them you’re probably hosed.

Still, it’s really, really pretty and a joy to play.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

More puzzles are good but I just want them to keep adding Steed Force models.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

The tarot game is indeed haaard. The undo feature should really include inverting a stack, which is only one logical operation but lots of clicks.

With some effort I was able to force a specific reading:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Sway Grunt posted:

I picked this bundle up and played through Human Resource Machine over the past couple of days. It was fun but I definitely got the sense that the programming elements are much more explicit in it than in Zach's games. Granted I haven't yet played Shenzhen I/O or TIS-100 which I think are the ones based on assembly language? But the abstraction in SpaceChem or Opus Magnum makes those a lot more compelling and I think it's easier to work through or visualize the problem in a puzzle if you don't have a programming background (and the UI is much better). They also feel a lot more open-ended, or at least the open-endedness is expressed better visually.

In HRM I was doing fine up until the last few levels where I hit a brick wall, and I straight up copied a solution for the final level off a Steam guide just to get the credits to roll, which I feel a little guilty about (but I 100%'ed SpaceChem without ever looking up a hint so I paid my dues dammit). Even looking it over step by step I fundamentally do not understand what's happening or why. Apparently it's just building a sorting algorithm which I guess any actual programmer would ace in a few minutes.

I'm hoping the Zachtronics titles that are based on assembly are more creative and open and less "course assignments" but I actually think I'll save those for later and go straight into 7 Billion Humans next.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 10, 2022

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Shenzon is straight up coding, yeah. It takes the concepts of assembly and wraps them in "physical" objects.

Speaking of which an icon for that game keeps popping up on Xbox game pass on the series s but it leads to an error page. Surely they didn't pick THAT as their next console port, right? That's masochistic.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
To be fair I am an Actual Programmer and things like sorting a list using only a FIFO stack is such bullshit, and my online circles of other Actual Programmers tend to agree. Much harder than the job lol

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I think the presentation and the little bits of story / atmosphere of Zachtronics titles definitely help so I'm hopeful for Shenzhen and the others. At the very least they're visually interesting to look at. I'm sure one could map a lot of the design ideas and mechanics of SpaceChem to actual programming or math terms (like I guess a sensor is just a simple "if else" clause. And a flip-flop's probably some kind of well-known mathematical function?). But it just helps that in-game it looks and feels different and you're doing wild alien poo poo with it.

I finished 7 Billion Humans today and it was much more fun than HRM I thought, the mechanics were more to my liking (less math, basically). But it's still just a lot of numbers and flow charts. Still had to brute force a few puzzles (by, uh, lemme look at some programming terminology... loop unrolling? aka doing everything manually) and am thankful they give you five level skips for the campaign otherwise I'd still be in there.

edit: man I just really love SpaceChem. Maybe cause it was my first Zachtronics title, but it just rules. In my top 10 of all time probably.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 12, 2022

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
exapunks has the coolest presentation of the Actual Programming ones imo, followed by shenzen which is no joke slightly traumatic in terms of dealing with bad bosses and foreign datashets for parts, and then tis-100 has the least interesting presentation imo but it's not bad still

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yeah, Shenzhen is a little bit too on the nose in being a 'working engineer' simulator. "We have ten thousand of these chips. We're not even sure what they do. Figure out a product we can build with them to recoup our losses." Or eventually finding some of the undocumented commands that, in retrospect, make half the game trivial.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
As a non-programmer the actual-programming ones didn't hold any immediate appeal for me, but once I started one I realised it wasn't too different from the spatial games. And I even managed to get a couple of solutions on to the global leaderboard.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Llamadeus posted:

As a non-programmer the actual-programming ones didn't hold any immediate appeal for me, but once I started one I realised it wasn't too different from the spatial games. And I even managed to get a couple of solutions on to the global leaderboard.

the same relation holds true in real life btw between excel and Real Programming

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, Shenzhen is a little bit too on the nose in being a 'working engineer' simulator. "We have ten thousand of these chips. We're not even sure what they do. Figure out a product we can build with them to recoup our losses." Or eventually finding some of the undocumented commands that, in retrospect, make half the game trivial.
I had a lot of fun with this. I was always endlessly amused at finding ways to obey the letter of the spec without the intent it. Oh the doll can only play each song once and then needs to be rebooted? Oh the secure lock just uses some garbage hash function to check your password despite millions of possible collisions? Welp, spec is the spec, ship it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Phssthpok posted:

The tarot game is indeed haaard. The undo feature should really include inverting a stack, which is only one logical operation but lots of clicks.

With some effort I was able to force a specific reading:

Same, but different:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

playing through opus magnum again. felt like purifying gold with only eight instructions

imgur.com/zpBdvPb

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Same, but different:

From this position I think I can force any reading:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I'm super new and really bad at Zachtronics games but I picked some up in the recent humble bundle and am having a lot of fun. Starting out with TIS-100 and have been banging my head on the Multiplexer for a good few hours due to not having enough space, only to discover that you can put labels and commands on the same line. Really should have read the manual more carefully :negative:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Tirranek posted:

Really should have read the manual more carefully :negative:

Congratulations, you are now a programmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

Tirranek posted:

the Multiplexer

Once you're happy with your Signal Multiplexer, check out this advanced labeling technique:

And add me to your steam friends for shared leaderboards: https://steamcommunity.com/id/myhf/

Now I want to return to TIS-100. I was never able to complete the Sequence Sorter within the instruction limits.