Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
that looks cool, really curious what the game will be like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Speaking of Zachtronics I got to visit their office last week and stole a sneak preview of a devs workstation and the next game. Looks very shenzenIO-like and got me pumped.

oh gently caress yeah

Daedalus1134 posted:

Bringing this thread back from the grave to tell all ZachFans to try the Steam Nextfest demo of The Signal State. It's an analog and digital logic simulator where you put together modules and patch cables to solve puzzles. It has a crazy amount of polish on it for what it is, with Zachtronics style pre-game chat for storybuilding, and good art. If this was listed as a real Zachtronics game I wouldn't have questioned it, and I mean that as the largest possible compliment.

Spoiler for a solution to the hardest the demo has to offer.

oooh gonna check this out, thanks for the recc!

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

just finished it, short and sweet (mainly a bunch of tutorials with 1 puzzle), but very polished! It's really a zach-clone yeah, everything is basically directly copied except for the specific modules and the use of wires.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Daedalus1134 posted:

Bringing this thread back from the grave to tell all ZachFans to try the Steam Nextfest demo of The Signal State. It's an analog and digital logic simulator where you put together modules and patch cables to solve puzzles. It has a crazy amount of polish on it for what it is, with Zachtronics style pre-game chat for storybuilding, and good art. If this was listed as a real Zachtronics game I wouldn't have questioned it, and I mean that as the largest possible compliment.

Spoiler for a solution to the hardest the demo has to offer.

The full game is out now!

cool synth guy Benn Jordan (aka the Flashbulb) did a video on it from a synth-guy standpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxFtHlOOOTU

e: bought it and finished it within 5 hours, skipping only a couple of optional puzzles for later. Maybe 7 hours total to finish up everything at a leisurely pace if you're not a god at these kinda games? Pretty slight, and while it does tickle the zachtronics itch it stops before you really get to do anything out of the box. Most solutions are pretty obvious, and I'm definitely not the best at zach-likes. If you like optimizing puzzles there's some more to squeeze out. I scored pretty bad on most leaderboards.

Pros: nice interface, decent music, clear tutorials and tooltips
Cons: writing & story is solidly meh, no twists at all and is just kinda there. Difficulty is about the same as the tutorial for most zachtronics games, so pretty easy. real time to finish is taken into account for score, which doesn't make sense to me (you can just remember, retry and click faster??).

overall: eh, buy it on a sale or if you want to support people making more games like this I guess!
If you're new to the 'genre': might be a decent place to start. Definitely fun and easy to get into, just not that challenging for someone used to the type of puzzles.

e2: also, it has absolutely nothing to do with music/modular synths in the game, which made me sad, was hoping for some sick beats. Theres a single very simple puzzle with 3 drum samples, but that's it.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 23, 2021

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

final zachtronics game dropping in a couple of weeks, here's the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdU-ABucIjk

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

I think it's just Zach and a couple of other people handling the goods themselves so you'll probably get an email once it's shipped out.

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/1537291395056095232?t=8AQlXWA45k8p3OFUihl_9Q&s=19

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It's a neat game but more zen-like and focused around scaling up instead of solving puzzles using logic (a "proper" zach-like).

I've been playing Infinite Turtles and it's a cool zach-like. The demo is very meaty and your save works in the full game. Highly recommended to check it out.

It's based around nested units, so you can use the results of a level as a block in your next solutions, recursively as much as you want. My main gripe currently is that most difficulty comes from fitting in locks everywhere to ensure everything works regardless of delays or stacked inputs and such. The basic circuits you build are pretty straightforward.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 20, 2022

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Got my steam key but I’m at work. Is the game actually unlocked for play?

No, the planned release date is the 5th of july.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Daedalus1134 posted:

This seems pretty similar to Prime Mover, not that that's a bad thing.

Yup, but infinite turtles literally goes in depth. You can place a block on the board that contains a board within. So you can plop down a previous solution as a single tile to use in the current problem, and edit it if needed; or add the current board as a single tile for full recursion. You can go back to previous solutions and edit them and all instances of that board will update on all other solutions.

It's also possible to make bespoke tiles just for the current puzzle. It's pretty neat!

After a couple of hours the main struggle remains fitting in all the necessary components to account for delays. When doing test runs sometimes you'll need to buffer an input for quite a while, and if you used one of your self-designed solutions that can't handle that everything falls apart. Lots of going back to basically add signals to accept input when everything is ready to be processed / the previous solution has finished. This is basically always the same set of components that you need to add to all solutions and takes up a lot of space.

Looking at the leaderboards I'd guess the top scorers made a specific solution just to get on the leaderboards, but the solution doesn't work when using the solution as a component in a different puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Kennel posted:

IIRC Prime Mover does the same thing.

Yeah, but prime mover only has local subchips instead of the global ones, and no recursion iirc? It feels more like a core game mechanic in Turtles (and its also the focus of the plot so far).