Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

1. Undine
2. Cassidy
3. Anemone
4. Rue
5. Bud

It's hard, though. Lot of good kids in this here comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

This of course gave me an excuse to go through Anemone's pages so far. I think Interstitial 5 contains the best impression we have of the limits of Anemone's powers. She states there she can't account for Mark's presence, Goops, or the Golden One. Otherwise, it seems that Anemone at least believes herself to be close to omnipresent when it comes to the city (we know from Interstitial 1 she has no idea what's outside the barrier). So it looks like her powers extend to everything within the barrier, on...the physical plane, I guess? She can't tell how Mark got in, where Goops and the Golden One come from, or where Cassidy and/or Cassidy's remains have gone. In that case, we may be able to insinuate that Goops and the Golden One originate outside the barrier, and Cassidy is there. "Outside the barrier" could also mean wherever the WiW is, in some sort of metaphysical realm, of course.

Also relevant on Interstitial 5 is Anemone's statement that "our situation may finally become unsustainable." We know from today's page that she thinks the general situation with the magical girls is unsustainable, but on that page, I always assumed she was talking about a specific situation she has with the WiW. Maybe the answer is both, and she's asking whether whatever is trapping the WiW will end if the magical girl situation ends.

In any case, I think today's page still leaves plenty of ambiguity for Cassidy to be alive or still existing in some form. What we get from it is that Anemone can't sense her anymore, and for Anemone (a known pessimist), this means it's most likely Cassidy is dead. You can understand why Anemone would lean towards that with her circumstances, but it doesn't confirm or deny anything 100% for us.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Cube gave away on the discord ages ago that Apple and Bass were twins, but I never really expected there to be an opportunity for it to show up in canon. Them having identical color schemes but being on different teams is fun.

Bud looking into gossip that's not just related to relationship drama, but also what's actually going on in town, is interesting, and definitely adds to the serious side of Bud we started getting a couple chapters ago. Makes me think a Bud and Rue conversation will eventually be pertinent.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

I'm curious to know more about the reasons Bud is mad here, because my initial thought was that she's so into gathering info that this is a blow to her confidence, but I actually wonder if it's partially guilt going on. We know that she figured out Cassidy was keeping an eye on Undine and Kokoro before she said anything. In retrospect, she might think she should have done something about it, or maybe is worried her confrontation of Cassidy caused Cassidy's disappearance. I get the impression Bud takes a lot of pride in knowing information and being the smartest one in the room, and this is reveals she's not infallible.

I agree that it seems like Cassidy would have been set off by Undine and Kokoro's connection no matter what happened, though. The grim thing is that if they were normal teenagers it'd just be a cruddy teen love/friendship triangle, but since they're magical girls it led to Cassidy, y'know, dying (probably).

cropoval fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 19, 2020

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

ronya posted:

It's interesting that Mark swears "Jesus", but the city usually cusses by the Founder (but Undine still seems to recognize that it's a swear)

Had to do considerable digging to find this tweet, but this appears to actually be relevant:

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/788958465309814784

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Cassidy being out of school for one day could be chalked up to illness or to an exhausting previous night, but by the second day, I think it'd probably become known that she's missing (or, if a body shows up, dead). I think that's going to have to drop at the very least.

Gabby does feel like a Chekhov's Gunman, but I don't know to what extent. Her usual turf being right on the barrier seems like it's telling us something, even if it's just "Gabby knows stuff about the barrier."

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

rannum posted:

When i say taken away for murder I mean it as a joke but... I'd be shocked if CDD didnt at least consider that Superpowered Teen Drama didn't lead to more than just going off alone that night, even if it's statistically unlikely.

Hell I doubt Cassidy was the only one in the city who suspected Undine of having something to do with her team's deaths; wouldn't surprise me if the CDD had to at least briefly consider it just as due diligence

On top of that, everybody with powers in this world is a teen. Being a teen sucks even without fighting monsters every night. I'm sure the added resources provided for magical girls are at least partially to mitigate this, and considering the story of HP's birth it's likely a lot of incidents are covered up, but two magical girls having a fight that results in at least one of them getting injured or at worst dying seems...not unlikely? Probable enough that the CDD likely prepares for it frequently, whether or not it actually happens often?

I'm sure stuff like "a magical girl lashes out and intentionally or unintentionally destroys a building" is in their emergency plans too.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

I think it's entirely possible that Mingxing will believe them, especially if the detail of the phone call Kokoro got comes up, but whatever Powers That Be that Mingxing works for won't want the public to know about it and will have a "Undine is just paranoid" talking point planned if need be.

That said, I don't think that's terribly likely either. Honestly, not sure precisely how this will go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

maltesh posted:

Potential options:
- Cassidy's Memorial Service?
- Anniversary of Team Alchemical's death?
- Birthday of one of Team Alchemical's members?
- Just another manic Monday?

I'm thinking HP is going with Undine to talk to Tessa, and either Tessa or Undine proposed meeting at the graves to "see their friends" in the metaphorical sense.

Alternatively, Undine decided to visit the graves on her own and asked HP to go with her because it'll be emotionally taxing.